Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eriador - Campaign Guide for H/H & VH/VH

Default Re: Eriador - Campaign Guide for H/H & VH/VH

Yeah, thanks mate . I appreciate the help and thanks to you, i'm kicking Orcs of Gundabad back to their caves . I just love this mod, its so epic and interesting.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tthopii View Post
    Yeah, thanks mate . I appreciate the help and thanks to you, i'm kicking Orcs of Gundabad back to their caves . I just love this mod, its so epic and interesting.
    my pleasure
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

My campaign progressed well, I expanded quickly and took Gundabad by turn 43. I then consolidated and made 3 powerful armies, ready for a 3 prong attack on the OotMM. Early in, I succeeded, taking Imladris, Ost-in-Edhil, and the Orc Outpost with minimal casulties. From there, it went downhill.

Armies popped out of nowwhere - too many for me to hope to fight off. In about 6 turns I had lost 3 generals in sieges, and was pushed back to Gundabad and Eriador. Hoarwell has just fallen as well, and they are about to hit Amon Sul. I've used all my tactics and resources available - at least, all of them that I see. Is there any hope left?

Blog Entries

Hi mate, please be more specific

armies do not come out of the thin air, the enemies should have spammed them somewhere (dread stacks, last chance stacks and so on).

who attacked you exactly?
    at which turn you are now?
    have you been target for any invasion?

it can be that you have been very unlucky, by triggering some extra stacks from your enemies, but honestly if the OOG have been exterminated you should be able to survive

let us know, maybe something can be done
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Hi mate, please be more specific

armies do not come out of the thin air, the enemies should have spammed them somewhere (dread stacks, last chance stacks and so on).

who attacked you exactly?
    at which turn you are now?
    have you been target for any invasion?

it can be that you have been very unlucky, by triggering some extra stacks from your enemies, but honestly if the OOG have been exterminated you should be able to survive

let us know, maybe something can be done
    Currently, I'm on turn 84. I didn't attack the OotMM until I was sure I could beat them - at least, I thought I could. One dreadstack spawned when I took Goblin Town for a few turns, probably. Didn't think that through before taking, sacking, and abandoning it.

Luckily, no invasions have come my way - the only one so far successfully took Edoras. I did the attacking, taking 3 cities from them at once, which also might have freaked the AI out and spawned some stacks.

Blog Entries

mmm if you where performing good and then suddenly you got smashed by severl army stacks, well for sure you must have activated one or perhaps more scripts spamming dread stacks; out of curiosity, how many stacks are hammering you? only from OMM??

at any rate, let me ask you: have you updated your armies by adding some greenway troops and a good amount of battle ready dunedain? 'cause a common problem with Eriador is that you become too confident with your troops while fiting against OOG early troops (before garrison script), and then you can get very bad surprises when you'll fight OOM and mostly Isengard armies including 3rd or even 4th tier units (Heavy goblin troops are far better than your militia, lumbermen or merchants militia and they come in greater numbers, not to speak about Trolls that usually need up to 4-5 units just to be effectively surrounded; with isengard with all their Uruks troops it is even worse). If the sensation you have is that your army is melting like snow in the sun against your new enemies, well I believe that this is the issue

my suggestion in this case: try to sign peace with OOM, if needed be gift them one settlement; if you don't succed on this, well retreat, because the core of your kingdom (both economically and military speaking) is in Annùminas, Bree, Fornost and surroundings, so you still have the power to succed. Use the few chockepoints you have (bridges) to tempt them to attack you (AI seems not to consider the presence of a bridge when estimating if their forces are enough to beat you), so you actually kill many of them this way or at the worst delay them enough to field new higher tier units (the AI will go around for another way if they think that your army on that bridge is too strong, you can play with this to grant yourself some turns more).

I can't do more, I hope it helps

Thanks! I managed to get peace by giving them Amon Sul, since it was under siege and going to fall anyways. Now I can just build up my army and try again. Didn't take into consideration the massive unit sizes orcs have - I'll try and field more heavy infantry next time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aRandomPerson View Post
    Thanks! I managed to get peace by giving them Amon Sul, since it was under siege and going to fall anyways. Now I can just build up my army and try again. Didn't take into consideration the massive unit sizes orcs have - I'll try and field more heavy infantry next time.
    at your disposal

To be honest it is likely they will just ignore the peace and continue the war in less than 5 turns. The enemy factions are not to be trusted when it comes to peace..

Blog Entries

much like humans, I think this is the only part in which the AI is really realistic!!

Starting a new campaign. The shire seems to be all rebel settlements. Do I have to take them with force?

Blog Entries

you can try to bribe them with pipeweed, and food .. ah and beer

I'm a bit late, but yes you have to conquer them; later on they will call for indipendency and you should grant it to them (IMO); the settlements will be automanaged (you can alwasy remove the auto-recruitment; furthermore they are all small settlements, so they way the AI manages them isn't going to change much on your campaign) and once in a while they will give you some perks such as free units or free road construction.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123