Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eriador - Campaign Guide for H/H & VH/VH

dannyalex's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Eriador - Campaign Guide for H/H & VH/VH

They are really good ,but the high upkeep and and the slow recruitment for those guys are really slow...all those for The Dunedain units

Grey Company is only available as Aragorn Bodyguard,at least at 3.2
    Most Chivalrous commander 2020-2021

Hi
    Nice thread you got going here. Just one question. I'm new to Third age, and have worked hard to get Eriador changed to Arnor as quickly as possible. But i can't figure out why it's not working. I Have all the settlements required as far as i know (From Carn dun to South Thabard, and The shire (autonomy) to Coldfells), a alliance with Gondor, and made Annumninas my Capital with Aragorn in it. If anyone could help out, that would be nice

capture or hold: Hobbiton, Michel Delving, Longbottom, Bree, Staddle, Barrow-Downs, Amon Sûl, Annúminas, Fornost Erain, Athilin (new in 3.0!!!), Hoarwell, Tharbad, Coldfells.
    Furthermore you need to establish an alliance with Gondor, build the House of Kings in Annúminas (only possible If you have upgraded this settlement into a large city) and finally Aragorn must be alive. If these conditions are met, then you will receive an event, which tells you can reform Arnor. Choose accept in case you want to play as Arnor.

Well the thing is, shouldn't there be a pobup on the screen when you have all the settlements needed? Like there is when you make the alliance with Gondor?

Yes there will be a popup once you have completed all these requirements. You must have an alliance with Gondor.

Bowmaster's Avatar Biarchus

It's not that you need to have Annuminas as your capital. You need to build the House of Kings in it. Though after reforming Arnor I make it my capital for lore-ish reasons.

And there will be an event when you have completed one of any of those requirements. When you complete another requirement, there won't be an event. When you complete all requirements, a scripted event will appear which allows you to reform Arnor. Though I'd suggest doing a save before accepting it, because (you might be avare of the bug already) your name may not change to Arnor, your color may stay green, and the name of your army may still be "Eriador Army". This bug can be fixed by loading to an earlier save, and reforming Arnor again.

I had the bug.
    (yeah, yeah, I'm fin player of TATW 3.2...

In Memoriam: Blackomur89

Save MERP and TATW!

Haha aw poor Bowmaster.

Lethal Jakkson's Avatar Civis

This guild has kept me away from the dark arts of ' cheers

Any hints/tips in battle? as my casulties are always too high after taking Amon Sul & Borrow-Downs.
    Working for myself for 3years and still finding time to play Total War

"power down now. Have your crew step out or we will kill you!" -
    Conl Sharp (Transformers)
    "wh
    at you talkin 'bout willis?"
    -Gary Coleman aka Arnold Jackson (Diff'rent Strokes)

Taking Barrow-Downs is easy; In my last battle in it I lost only about 100 men. Let the Dúnedain Rangers and Archer Militia fire at the enemy units, and when they go out to kill the archers, run away a bit, and fire again; usually the moment you run the enemy unit run's back in to the settlement. If not, have your cavalry charge in to the unit. When you run out of arrows, send your Breeland Militia and Lumbermen in to finish the remaining forces. Heroic victory!

About Amon Sul: Amon Sul is hard to take, because of the long march up. When your units finally get on top, they're all Exhausted. Try letting them rest for a while in the march up, like let them move 20 meters, rest until they're fresh, march 20 meters and so on. At the top, simply flank your enemy troops and send somebody to kill those archers.

Save MERP and TATW!

sanchawebo's Avatar Foederatus

i usually siege amon sul out

but generally speaking, abuse your dunedain bodyguards, they're absolutly awesome units!!! in my campaign the dwarves declared war on me (for no real reason) and ambushed a lonly general. I was able to kill 800 dwarven miners with my 32 men BG before the battle times came in and i got a heroic victory also 2-3 generals in one army wreak havoc amongst those filthy little snagas and replanish after battles (just save before battles because sometimes the generals die in strange situations

I also just starve Amon Sûl out, they'll be defeated at turn 11. Your units won't get a scratch, and they're immediately ready to attack Coldfells.

Save MERP and TATW!

Amon Sul is so great to defend (both in terms of defense strength and fun to play on a custom map) that I turtle there and kill Isengard first in most of my FPOE games. That also makes your OOG battlefront very close to Bree and Annuminas for retraining, plus you get Isengard's massive income after wiping them out, and it helps Rohan to push stronger against Mordor and slow down the inevitable Gondor collapse.

Yeah, I think Amon Sûl is the esiest custom settlement to defend: while the units are climbing up, they all get exhausted, even if they had extreme stamina. Then you just blow them up with fire arrows, or javelins if you are lucky enough to have them. And after that, you send a few Breeland Militia, and that does the trick. I once won an army of Snagas and Bands of OoG with that tactic with about six units.

Save MERP and TATW!

Quote Originally Posted by Bowmaster View Post
    Yeah, I think Amon Sûl is the esiest custom settlement to defend: while the units are climbing up, they all get exhausted, even if they had extreme stamina. Then you just blow them up with fire arrows, or javelins if you are lucky enough to have them. And after that, you send a few Breeland Militia, and that does the trick. I once won an army of Snagas and Bands of OoG with that tactic with about six units.
    Most definitely. 4 free upkeep Dunedain Rangers and a couple blocker militia can stop a half-stack. I also keep 1 ballista there, mostly in case of trolls but it also cuts huge lines though enemy troops at close range defending the hilltop, and on flaming ammo mode it routs low level orcs almost instantly.

Playing as eriador its seems the dwarves and high elves always make war, can i do something about it like capture a rebel settlement?
    i prefer not cheating like forced alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Bowmaster View Post
    It's not that you need to have Annuminas as your capital. You need to build the House of Kings in it. Though after reforming Arnor I make it my capital for lore-ish reasons.

And there will be an event when you have completed one of any of those requirements. When you complete another requirement, there won't be an event. When you complete all requirements, a scripted event will appear which allows you to reform Arnor. Though I'd suggest doing a save before accepting it, because (you might be avare of the bug already) your name may not change to Arnor, your color may stay green, and the name of your army may still be "Eriador Army". This bug can be fixed by loading to an earlier save, and reforming Arnor again.

I had the bug.
    Forget Arnor. Spend the gold on killing every last Orc in middle-earth

Personally, I don't see why some people have such an aversion to reforming Arnor. Particularly with the version I play (MOS 1.41), there are far fewer drawbacks and more incentives to reforming.

- Your % of Northmen culture in every settlement automatically changes to % Dunedain culture, so there's no lag before you can start recruiting the Arnor units other than the time needed for the unit pool to fill.
    - You gain access to a new building, the Hall of Veterans, which you can build for free upkeep and retraining capabilities for Eriador units, thus alleviating some of the financial and logistical burden of suddenly having armies composed of troops you can no longer build.
    - Arnor has a significantly stronger and more varied unit lineup in MOS, which by that point you should have the economy to afford (plus, imo, the Arnor units just look freaking awesome). This makes "killing every orc in Middle Earth" much easier, since Eriador units have a VERY hard time with Mordor.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

with all the due respect to everybody's opinion, I can't but second Wolfeson.

thought not very lore-like the eriador/arnor campaign has been so far the most epic I had (Mordor and Gondor were both great ones, but for different reasons) and in MOS it is really worth to reform Arnor and play a long campaign in which your final task is to help Gondor in getting rid of Mordor.

it's a long way, needs a lot of money and some long term "sacrifices", it a pain when you have to switch from Eriador to Arnor, but it is damned epic
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

I am wondering, how do you get "special" units like greenway guards/sentries. And how do you get mercant militia? I have been playing Eriador campaing like 80 turns and only units i get are : Militia Archer, Hunters, Lumberman, Dunedain Rangers, Mercant cavarly, militia spearman and ballistas. And i would love to have some heavy units, because orcs are giving me a hard time with their heavy units. Thanks.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Hi tthopii and welcome to TWC

first things first: TATW uses a feature called barrack events; basically all the higher tier units are locked (non recruitable, they don't even appear on the building description) until this barrack event occurs (usually around turn 40). You will receive a messagge for the event and from now on (usually the following turn IIRC) you will be able to recruit all the units, provided that you already have the correct level building.

Said the above, let's see your questions:

- For the greenway troops (guards and sentries): they are recruitable only on few specific regions (Fornost, Bree .. and something more), that means that in order to recruit such units you need: 1- the barrack event to have happened, 2 - the relevant structure built, 3 - having it built on a specific settlement. In order to be sure which settlements allow greenway troops recruitment you can look at the green book wich is present in the building list of the city/castle, as you can read there all the info on the region (terrain, special conditions, etc) including any special unit recruitable.

- For the Merchant Militia: they should be recruitable starting from level 2 barrack, which are buildable from Large Towns (or bigger cities) and Wooden Castels (or bigger castles). IIRC they don't need the barrack event, so you should be able to recruit them at least in Fornost, Bree and Annuminas.

If you need more info or support, just ask

F
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast