Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eriador - Campaign Guide for H/H & VH/VH

Icon2 Eriador - Campaign Guide for H/H & VH/VH

Eriador - Campaign Guide

Hello once again everyone! You might have read my previous Dale guide and it seemed people liked it so I have now made an Eriador guide after receiving a request to make one. I have now played the Eriador campaign a couple of times so I could learn some more tips and tricks. Note that I will be updating this tutorial as frequently as possible. That is the reason why there is not as much text here as there is in my Dale guide. I will update it later on! If any of the readers have any ideas as to other things one can do as well, dont hesitate to tell me and I will add it in the tutorial so that everyone may take use of your wise advices!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

These are the cities you will start with as Eriador. Bree is your capital and is the city with the most inhabitants. It is from here you will send most of your units. Your cities in the west, Hobbiton, Michel Delving and Longbottom will start with no barracks at all, so I recommend you construct a town watch in all of them, if you dont want to spend that much money, build a market in Michel Delving instead. NOTE that if you accept the request of autonomy in Shire, you can not recruit any units! In Annuminas you should construct roads. It will not only give you increased tradeable goods, but also allows you to travel quickly from city to city. At turn 1 you will not be able to recruit any troops at all so you might as well move your men out of your cities and try to seek out the nearby rebel cities. Increase the taxes in Bree and Annuminas. Dont raise the taxes in the other cities unless you can have the population happy. Where you move your spy is up to you, though I prefer sending it north towards OOG, because I know they will attack you sooner or later. Use your spy on rebel armies and cities so that he can gain experience.

In the west empty your cities and gather your men and prepare yourself to head south. In the north, send your men south towards bree. Leave the generals in the cities, they have only got 18 soldiers in their unit and can not do much help, besides, you need someone to watch your city! Having your generals in the city boosts the income, which reminds me that you should also raise the taxes in both Bree and Annuminas. In the east, near Bree and Staddle, combine your troops and head for Amon Sul. It is a fortress from which you can recruit many troops. Remember to recruit a diplomat in Bree as well. You need to establish trade agreements with Rohan, High Elves and possibly Isengard if you REALLY need some extra money. Before you end the turn, send your spy to the north to keep OOG under watch. End turn.

It is the second turn and you will without doubt receive a mission from the Council of Nobles asking you to capture either Allimir, the small village in the west, or Amon Sul in the east. Move your armies further towards the rebel cities, your diplomat towards Rohan and end the turn. Next turn you can attack Allimir, do so, but do not include all of your units, you will only end up with more casualties. Use your generals and 2 archer units and attack the city. Use your archers to fire at the enemy and once the arrows are spent, send your generals in. It does not matter if you lose a lot of your general units, because they will all be replenished because they belong to a general unit. Now as you have taken Allimir, You should move your men from the city towards the east. Your mission has also been successful so you should now have 3 new units in Bree, which you must combine with the army coming from Fornost. Now move that army towards the rebel city near Bree. Its name is Barrow-Downs. Remember to move your diplomat closer to Rohan and Isengard. If you want to earn some money, you can demand money for map information, that should give you a bit of a money.

At the fourth turn, you can both attack Barrow-Downs and Amon Sul. I try to avoid attacking Barrow-Downs at once, because then you have to be the attacker and since the rebels consist of heavy infantry orcs with twice as many soldiers as you in one unit, you will have a lot of casualties, but if you feel lucky then you should give it a try. Amon Sul on the other hand you can attack now. You will get some casualties, but you will survive. Amon Sul has no walls, but you must still construct ladders and siege towers. If you do not, your general might get the "Questions Technology" trait which can cost you some victories later in the game. Your troops are superior to those in Amon Sul so you should not have any significant losses. Once you have taken the fortress, rebuild the castle if it is damaged, and if not then construct either stables or an archery range. OOG should now be on its way to you so I suggest you prepare an army to counter their invasion. I usually send out Gandalf first to build watchtowers. The Weather Hills has domain over a large region and watchtowers are needed if you are to be prepared. The Barrow-Downs rebels will now sally out to attack your sieging army and you will most likely win. Simply target their general with your archers, and if you manage to kill him, the rest will fall like flies. After you have captured the city move the army south to combine with the one which just came from Allimir.

Further north of Bree, Aragorn and his men should be on their way to Fornost to meet with the new units you were bequiefed by the Council of Nobles upon the capture of Barrow-Downs. Gandalf should also be back from your borders after having constructed watchtowers. If you can not construct any more economical buildings, then construct blacksmiths in your fortresses. Your army from Barrow-Downs should now have been combined with the one from Allimir and should now be sieging Argond. You should, if you have done what I suggested, have a lot of units. The battle should be won easily. This fortress has very few inhabitants, but you will still be making a decent amount of money because you have a port. It can also give a stabile flow of units if you plan on attacking Isengard. Now you have gained A LOT of regions in just 10 turns! Only 1 or 2 more cities and you can reunite Arnor. Though I do not suggest you unite it, because in my experience, all you get is fewer troops, more upkeep and a lowsy economy. If you want it for sentimental reasons, then go for it! You do gain some new units which I suppose will be to your liking. In the south in the castle of Argond you have a half stack, which you can either send to the west and try to take the coastal cities, south to the rebel cities in the forests or to the southwest and attack Isengard. In the north you can either declare war to OOG or simply choose to rebuild and capture more rebel settlements before making war.

Additional Tips:

- Remember to have your capital in the center of your empire, it can increase your income and can potentially improve the public order as it shortens the distance to the capital.

- Build a barracks in each city where you can, but at the same time do not waste all of your money.

- Recruit lots of spies. They can be used to open enemy gates, allowing you to make a direct attack on a settlement. Having spies also lets you know if another enemy is approaching you.

- After you kingdom grows, you will have to rely on watchtowers to watch your borders because you can not recruit a lot of spies.

- If you border for example Gundabad and your city has only got 1 unit in it, they will take advantage of it and attempt to seize it. This can also be a smart thing to do, because then you can lure the enemy into an ambush.

- Do not capture Hoarwell in the east. OOTMM will most likely capture Rivendell and will thus border you if you capture Hoarwell. They will then look upon you as their primary target and send endless waves of orcs towards you, so do NOT take Hoarwell unless you are confident you can beat the enemy. Having a rebel city between two nations allows you to do sneak-invasions and the enemy will not attack you.

- If you are low on cash, demand money from other factions when you are offering them map information.

- Sometime blitzing the enemy can be extremely helpful. The enemy is often willing to make peace if you take 2 or more settlements in one turn. Be aware of that this does not work all the time. The AI knows which one of you has the largest military and will take that into account.

- You can buy other faction`s cities for low prices. This can allow you to slowly defeat a faction, but through diplomacy. Remember that castles go for less then cities.

- Once constructing a building, go into the city description and you can see how much more the city will make if you decide to make that building. That way you can see if the building you are constructing is helping at all.

- Build roads. They give you much tradeable goods as well as a quick route between the cities.

These are the units most effective against both OOG and Isengard:

Archers:

Against Isengard and OOG, the units below are the ones best suited for Eriador. Isengard use Snaga Skirmishers and Uruks most of the time, which means that you cant just have spearmen and archers, you also need heavy infantry to counter the Uruk-hais which do not only outnumber your units, but are also superior in both attack and defence. Since you are using so much money on heavy infantry, theres not much left for archers, so that is why I suggest you have mostly Bandobras archers. They are cheap, have a low upkeep and can also fire from a long distance. The only downside with these units is that they are terrible if they come in combat with the enemy. That is why you should also have Dunedain rangers. These units can fire from an even longer distance, using their great accuracy to kill the enemy. If they should enter melee with the enemy, they can hold them back for a while and in some occasions even win. If you reunite Arnor you can recruit more archer units, but these are just as good as the ones listed below, and most of them also cost a lot more and have a higher upkeep cost.

Look at the picture below for more information.

Infantry:

In the beginning of your campaign you will have to use Breeland Militia for quite a long time. They are one of the weakest units in the game, but they do not cost much and are fast on foot. If you face an enemy army which has several heavy infantry units, you will have to rely on numbers and strategy to win. Since they are so weak you have to use your numbers to go around the enemy and charge them from behind. That usually does the trick. After a while you will be able to recruit more heavy infantry. I recommend using a lot of Merchant Militia. They are fantastic. Not only do they have a decent attack rate, but they also have a great defence rate. They are not that expensive either, which allows you to have more than just one army. I usually have a mixture of Merchant Miltia and Greenway Guards. Both of them have about the same skill and they work good against OOG and Isengard. If you have a great upkeep you can include some Battleready Dunedain knights as well. They are extremely good, but expensive, so avoid recruiting them unless you are certain your treasury can handle it.

For more information look on the picture below:

Cavalry:

Eriador has a great cavalry roster, but strangely, the unit which you can recruit first is the best one. Merchant cavalry is the only type of cavalry I use. They are fast, strong in melee and anyone you hit with your cavalry will fly through the air and eventually flee. They are a bit expensive, but they are definitely worth the money. Unlike other factions, where their cavalry flees as soon as it has charged the enemy, the merchant cavalry sometimes fight until the end or until only 4 or 5 troops remain. Against OOG`s snaga skrimishers, this cavalry unit is completely essential if you want to win a battle or have a victory with low casualties. Look on the picture below for more information!

The pictures used above are from brandybarrel`s Palantir Unit Guide which you can find Here!
    Anyways, I hope you have liked my guide and please comment if you have any questions or ideas!
    Last edited by The Norseman; August 31, 2012 at 07:16 AM.

Bowmaster's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Eriador - Campaign Guide for H/H & VH/VH

Good guide. I will give you rep as soon as I can. I've given too much in the last 24 hours. You did as you promised.

But a few things I'd like to say:

Did you have the bug that Athilin suddenly became your settlement? I get it in a few turns, without any information about it(except that there comes a post that the place is rioting).

Why should increase taxes in Annuminas? Annuminas needs to become a large city to build House of Kings, which is a requirement to create Arnor. And Eriador is mostly just a race for Arnor. Bree should also quickly become a city, because it's your center of army construction.

Fornost's units should be sent west to Nenuial, which must not be allowed to be taken by the Orcs. Or north to Athilin.

Why build buildings in Shire? Shire will request for autonomy, and so the buildings there will not be of any use. And if you don't accept the autonomy proposal, there will be one hell of a riot.

Well, that's it. A good guide you have done.
    (yeah, yeah, I'm fin player of TATW 3.2...

In Memoriam: Blackomur89

Save MERP and TATW!

Why should increase taxes in Annuminas? Annuminas needs to become a large city to build House of Kings, which is a requirement to create Arnor. And Eriador is mostly just a race for Arnor. Bree should also quickly become a city, because it's your center of army construction.
    Well since I dont recommend reuniting Arnor, I dont have to care about its size and because it take a really long time before you can reunite arnor. Even the AI, who has a lot of more bonuses than you uses 100 turns to upgrade it to the next level. Besides, when you raise the taxes to High, the growth is still 1.5% which is quite a lot.

Fornost's units should be sent west to Nenuial, which must not be allowed to be taken by the Orcs. Or north to Athilin.
    I would not recommend that because if you do that, the dwarves will definitely not help you. The AI only declares war to you if you are bordering their regions and by taking Nenunial, Dwarves wont border OOG and thus not care to help you. I continued my campaign and by letting the dwarves have Nenunial has been essential.

Why build buildings in Shire? Shire will request for autonomy, and so the buildings there will not be of any use. And if you don't accept the autonomy proposal, there will be one hell of a riot.
    I dont accept the autonomy because it is not giving me anything. They say they offer roadbuilding, but it takes an eternity before they actually do anything. You only need 1 unit in those cities to keep it under control, and have low taxes. But Ill include that in the guide! That you should not construct military buildings there if you accept their autonomy! But economical buildings will give you income, because they still have to pay taxes!
    Last edited by The Norseman; September 02, 2012 at 06:20 AM.

kraxmause's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Bowmaster View Post
    True, that's also the reason why you won't be able to use Bandobras Archers much, you start with only one unit and only get them randomly after accepting the Shire's autonomy.
    Cleave the sod with your trusty spade
    Dig out a house that's quite like a grave
    And should your neighbour not return your wave
    Cleave the sod with your trusty spade

A.R.R.R. Roberts - The Soddit

This is very helpful,thanks!

Landwalker's Avatar Semisalis

Having never played Eriador, I hope you don't mind a few ign'ant questions:
    1) What exactly doesn't reforming Arnor do? I can infer from looking at the Custom Battle stuff that it changes your unit roster to something more professional (i.e. expensive), but what else? Are there any other advantages? What about it ruins your economy?

2) What does granting the Shire autonomy accomplish? My understanding is that you give up control over recruitment and construction, and you gain... what?

Incomitatus's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Landwalker View Post
    Having never played Eriador, I hope you don't mind a few ign'ant questions:
    1) What exactly doesn't reforming Arnor do? I can infer from looking at the Custom Battle stuff that it changes your unit roster to something more professional (i.e. expensive), but what else? Are there any other advantages? What about it ruins your economy?

2) What does granting the Shire autonomy accomplish? My understanding is that you give up control over recruitment and construction, and you gain... what?

1. It reforms Arnor. But yeah, you get much better units. The two downsides:

• Your culture changes to Numenorian. You've probably spent the whole game up to that point converting all of your territories to Northmen culture, so now you can't recruit anything and you have massive unrest until you can build the new cultural conversion buildings everywhere and let them work for a few turns.
    • Your old units are no longer recruit-able, so you also can't garrison them for free any more.

So to summarize: Major unrest requires you to keep sizable garrisons for quite some time and prevents you from recruiting the units you could upkeep for free. Therefore, you have to keep your existing army, which you are no needing to pay much more for. Make sure you have a large cash reserve and sizable per turn budget surplus before you reform Arnor.

2. Granting the Shire autonomy is the only way to gain Hobbit units, which are much more useful than their stats would imply. It also makes the Shire happy, so that you don't need to waste units garrisoning it... especially since not granting them autonomy makes them very unhappy.
    Homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto. - Terence

My M2:TW 4TPY Script, Adapted to Work With Hotseat.

Guides and Useful Posts of Mine
    Middle Earth Strategikon (M2:TW: TATW 3.2)(WIP: ~60% Complete)
    Advice on Playing as Gondor - Part I - Part II (M2:TW: TATW 3.2)
    Dirty Secret to Killing Trolls Fast and Easy (M2:TW: TATW)
    The Basics of Naval Engagements Part I - Part II (EMPIRE: DMUC)
    Roman Army Composition and Use (RTW: RTR Platinum)

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Incomitatus View Post
    1. It reforms Arnor. But yeah, you get much better units. The two downsides:

• Your culture changes to Numenorian. You've probably spent the whole game up to that point converting all of your territories to Northmen culture, so now you can't recruit anything and you have massive unrest until you can build the new cultural conversion buildings everywhere and let them work for a few turns.
    • Your old units are no longer recruit-able, so you also can't garrison them for free any more.

So to summarize: Major unrest requires you to keep sizable garrisons for quite some time and prevents you from recruiting the units you could upkeep for free. Therefore, you have to keep your existing army, which you are no needing to pay much more for. Make sure you have a large cash reserve and sizable per turn budget surplus before you reform Arnor.
    It is exactly as Incomitatus says. I read about the major economic and cultural upheaval that was supposed to await you. On the whole, if your economy is build right it's not that big of deal. Yes you will be unable to build lots of stuff continouisly as you've been doing before and yes it takes quite some turns to balance out but it's not like your whole campaign goes south. The cultural unrest wasn't so significant either. I started building Numenorean culture buildings right away, and then moved the 'old' untis to my generals to use up in battles slowly replacing them with Arnorian units as they became available. The surplus came in handy when taking moria. Since you can't retrain them, it doesn't matter that much if they die. Slowly but surely you will change your army around from a bunch of militia/peasants to the migthy Arnorian army. Just be prepared to hit end turn a lot.

I suppose there are advantages to not converting but I find the legions of Arnor just too cool to not convert.

uddhava

uddhava

The shift to Arnor is something you really want to spend a good few turns getting ready for and you really should use the 12 turns building the House of Kings in Annúminas wisely.

Having just played a campaign with Eriador where I did shift to Arnor I decided to roughly put the total cost into numbers in an effort to show that it is a considerable undertaking but something that you can quickly over come and get back on track. At the time of changing to Arnor my faction controlled 34 provinces in total, this required me to build:

34 Libraries at 1200 each = 40,800

10 Schools at 2500 each in the main recruiting settlements and the more rebellious settlements to ensure quicker culture change = 25,000

Aside from the buildings you are going to rapidly change your garrison units from Bree Militia to Arnor Militia as you are going to lose all your free upkeep:

Bree Militia cost 180 upkeep a turn per unit, for the purposes of this I have assumed you will have all free upkeep slots full with Bree Militia at the beginning of the transition and can’t afford to disband any due to problems of unrest which in reality is unlikely but better to overestimate. Number of free upkeep slots across all settlements 81. It takes 5 turns to regenerate and recruit each unit of Arnor Militia and this is assuming you have enough culture, which you may have in your core settlements but probably not in the some of the more recent additions. It will take 15 turns to replace all the upkeep slots in all settlements. Assuming you can recruit in every settlement you will reduce your Bree upkeep cost by 34 units every 5 turns.

Bree Upkeep first 5 turns = 72,900 (14,580 per turn)
    Bree Upkeep next 5 turns = 42,300 (8,460 per turn)
    Bree Upkeep last 5 turns = 20,700 (4,140 per turn)

Arnor Militia recruitment cost 420, again I am assuming you are replacing every free recruitment slot (81) = 34,420

The full costs of the transition in additional upkeep, building and recruitment costs = 235,720

The purpose of this is not to suggest you need to save several hundred thousand before you go for Arnor but more that you need to have a strong economy and be ready for the inevitable economic hit that is heavily weighted to the first 5-10 turns and if you are not careful can put you in the red very quickly and although your campaign isnt going to crumble will set you back more turns than is necessary.

Arlin's Avatar Tiro

Just something I noticed while following this guide. Those three generals you send to Allimir, with the Hobbit-in-arms bodyguard...do not replenish. I also had some issues with the generals constantly getting killed when trying to take the town, but that's probably the random melee and my own usage of them.

And I just wanted to ask to clarify, you HAVE to give the Shire autonomy to be able to get Bandobras Archers, right? I'm trying to decide if the autonomy is worth it. On one hand, if my question is a yes, you get some very nice archer units. On the other, you can build up those towns and use them as a basic recruiting place early game when troops are needed.
    "Whoso would be a man, must be a nonconformist. He who would gather immortal palms must not be hindered by the name of goodness, but must explore it if it be goodness. Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind. Absolve you to yourself, and you shall have the suffrage of the world. No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution; the only wrong what is against it....."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Aldor's Avatar Campidoctor

Good guide,

but one (big) error:

They have only got 18 soldiers in their unit and can not do much help

Your general units are overpowered cav. They are dunedain which paint their bodies and smoke athelas to get high before battle. They are THE unit you use for hammer-anvil strikes, killing generals, ... Just charge-retreat and repeat. Even from the front they are effective. They will be your best units for a large number of turns and they replenish. Only major cities should be governed if you prefer growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlin View Post
    Those three generals you send to Allimir, with the Hobbit-in-arms bodyguard...do not replenish.
    Not great bodyg. but they do replenish WHEN they have been reduced to bodyguard size units (about 1/2 of original number).

It depends on the battlesize if the general units will be effective or not. If the opposing army is huge it most likely means they have cavalry or such a big army that their units which Are 4-5 times as large as yours will be able to defeat your cavalry, and note, very costly cavalry as well, because it is often quantity over quality except for the dwarves who Are really strong but then again slow. What I am saying is that I would much rather have either two cavalry units that have bigger size or two archer/ units than 1 very small elite cavalry unit.

Not great bodyg. but they do replenish WHEN they have been reduced to bodyguard size units (about 1/2 of original number).
    Really? I always thought it was much less, like when they reach 3/4 of their full number. Ill ask Incomitatus, he has dreams about the TATW files.
    Last edited by The Norseman; November 22, 2012 at 08:58 AM.

Going to bumb this thread and say: In my Eriador campaign, I have fought two large, if not huge battles in Athilin. I was outnumbered 1:2, and my Bandits and Breeland Militia were losing to the OoG orcs. I used the fine surrounding-strategy, attacking the orcs from different sides, but it was not enough; I was losing. But then my ultimate Dúnedain Bodyguard comes to kick some ass, and BAM! Ultimate heroic victory, with about 20%-30% losses on my side. The Dúnedain bodyguards are AWESOME! With the proper Hit-and-Run tactics, they can save your campaign. And the best thing is: they replenish themselves.

So, Eriador's bodyguards are not useless.

Save MERP and TATW!

It depends on what bodyguards you mean. The Dunedain are very good, but the hobbits at arms are not. Should maybe say that in the guide though, that there are more types of bodyguards. Gandalf for example, has horsemen.

Hmm, sorry, I thought you mean Dúnedain Bodyguards and only Dúnedain Bodyguards. Well, the Hobbitry-In-Arms is not really good, but the Grey Company is even better than normal Dúnedain Bodyguards (horsearchers).

Save MERP and TATW!

That is my fault for not mentioning it in the guide! Let me know if you have any more tips and tricks.

A couple of things I'd like to say:

What do you think of OoG:s Orc Fellers? They are said to be champions among the orcs, before the time of the uruks of Barad-Dur, but their stats are only slightly better than a snagas.

You tell to get Bandobras Archers as many as possible, but if you do not accept the autonomy from Shire, you get only one, and sounds like that is exactly what you did. And even if you do accept the autonomy, you will get them randomly, rarely. I've played an Eriador campaign of about 400 turns, and I never received any Bandobras Archers. Instead I'd suggest using the Woodland Hunters. They are cheap, skillful, easy to get, fast-moving (I think) and can survive most low-tier orc units.

You do not mention the Grey Company in the guide. They are better than even the later Arnorian units and three Dúnedain units taken together.

Has Dwarves helped you in your campaign?

Save MERP and TATW!

Did I not mention the Grey Company? Hmmm must check that out...

Well the dwarves have helped me in some cases, but you do not really notice it. They are the ones keeping OOG in check north of Eriador. In one campaign I did not even have to face OOG once, because the dwarves had destroyed them, which allowed me to focus on OOTMM. Just be careful not to take that rebel settlement east of their western regions, because they usually only attack bordering factions.

I was just reading your guide once again and noticed that you told to raise taxes in Bree and Annuminas twice.

Edit: Yes, you never mention the mighty Grey Company. Just read the guide.
    Last edited by Bowmaster; December 28, 2012 at 10:20 AM.

Save MERP and TATW!

I do not think I had the time to use them, because the guide is for the early turns and if I recall correctly you can not recruit those type of units before the late era comes around, perhaps the high era.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast