Thread: The King Of Risvers And Hills - Mudd AAR

Default The King Of Risvers And Hills - Mudd AAR

Hello, guys and gals. As my post count and rep alike suggest, I have not been very active at those forums. Yet, I have decided to jump right in and do an AAR (my first one!) regardless. I intend to right a certain wrong – the fact that there is currently no King of rivers and hills AAR in this sub-forum. And by "King or rivers and hills", I mean playing as the true king Tristifer Mudd and not as a southern blasphemer.

Here are my goals, in order of importance:

1. Do not allow Tristifer Mudd to die or lose a battle.
    2. Beat back the Stormkings where they belong – in the Stormlands.
    3. Remove the treacherous Arryns from the eastern mountains.
    4. And the Lannysters from their mountains in the west.
    5. Humble whomever dares to defy the might of the First men.

I will be playing on H/VH difficulty. I just find VH on the campaign map a bit too punishing. The economy of the Riverlands starts up bad enough. Also, I will fight the major battles, but I do intend to autoresolve minor or already obvious conflicts, except when I really want to capture someone.
    For the sake of realism, I will assume that each turn is a month long. I know that it doesn’t sound right and may produce other “plot holes”, but I find it ridiculous that it takes almost an year to get from the Oldstones to Darry keep.
    Hopefully, I will be able to provide updates regularly, on each ten turns, along with some screenshots. Actually, the first post is almost done, but I will wrap it up later on this day.

Also, English is not my mother tongue, so be warned.

Lord AcidRocker's Avatar Senator

Default Re: The King Of Risvers And Hills - Mudd AAR

Sounds awesome! I've been meaning to do a korah AAR but haven't decided on a faction.

Also, I believe at this era the submod creators didn't make House Arryn a 'treacherous' faction. I think King Osgood Arryn meant to have peace and stay his swords in his kingdom while his son Prince Talon was attempting to rally forces around the Vale to fight against House Mudd. Nonetheless, the AI will probably attack you at some point or another

The King Of Rivers And Hills

A clear evening at the Oldstones. Spring.

“Black wings bear black news”, they used to say in the south. Or something like that… Indeed, this saying seemed true. Especially now. King Tristifer coldly demanded from the maester reed through the letter once more. The man, chilled to the bone stuttered as he read, for he had rarely seen the king, usually so calm and collected soothing with anger. But he didn’t really listen to the pompous words that the halfwit in Storm’s end had put on the parchment. War never changes. He had won wars in the past. He would win again. No matter how many the Stormkings would send against him.

“Father” his son asked, distraught, “reports say of a large force around the Blackwater moving towards Darry and the Antlers. What should we do?”

He disliked his son for his decision to let that rambling doomsayer stay with him. But he was still his son. And a decent commander aswell. Maybe he should send him south to deal with that rabble. Then again, his son was only decent when he had the lead.

“My lord, should we call the banners to Oldstones?” The maester decided to intervene.

He disliked the man, to the point of never caring to learn his name, just like he despised his masters, but that chained Andal was useful. Without the maester and his ravens, he would have been in the dark, until the hammer of the Stormkings fell upon the Antlers. He had little faith in Jon Darry. The man had his uses, but showed an unhealthy disrespect both for the Old gods and for him. He would have preferred it if his son had taken the castle. Again, his eyes fell on the maester and the man shivered and turned to the side. He was a coward. Hightower had bent their knees before the Andals and so had the Citadel. But he would not go down so easily. Not without a fight.

“We will fight them, then”, gravely stated the king. “And we will defeat them. No need to call the lords to me, maester. I will just need their troops. Send your birds. I want a quarter of each of my bannermen’s forces to meet me at Darry keep. We go to war.”

And so, the king raised his banner before the Oldstones and set to the southeast. It was not long before the letters of the maester reached his not precisely loyal bannermen. Many of them did their duty, but some decided to withhold their forces in order to protect themselves. Amongst them was a certain Teague, who had the king’s eye, but for his deviousness and not for his chivalry. King Tristifer was well aware that he had to take care of this man and relieve him of command, lest he decided to turn his colours.

The letters from the king were clear – the border lords were to maintain their positions and wait for a possible attack from the Lannisters or the Arryns. They were also to erect watchtowers at appropriate spots and recruit some extra soldiers, where needed, especialy in the lightly guarded Saltpans. The master of coin mentioned something about the treasury quickly emptying, but the king rebuked him, right before setting off. He intended to fill the treasury with the spoils of war.

On the next month, while he was nearby Fairmarket, the king received pleasant news. First, his maester stated that he believed the forces of the Riverlands were the most numerous in Westeros. The king doubted that, but decided not to let his doubts trouble him.

And, there were other news. Quite stunningly, that Lion who slept under his mountain approached his dignitary again. Obviously Lancel was worried about the war with the Gardeners, for he was again offering his daughter’s hand. With the Stormkings in the south, Tristifer decided that it was in his best interests to accept… for now. After all, he would personally see that his grandsons are true first men, in spite of who their mother was.

The next month king Tristifer met up with Danos Darry at his keep. He decided that Darry was a resourceful enough commander and that since his castle was rather deep inside the territory of the Riverlands, he is suitable to lead his vanguard. He gave a thousand of his more untrained and undisciplinsed men to Darry and let him go forward towards Rosby, where, according to the other Darry, the one that went by the name of Jon, the forces of the Stormlands converged.

Meanwhile, the king heard some troubling reports of Arryn forces in his lands, but he had faith in the garrison of the Saltpans and pushed forward towards the lands of the Stormkings.

Month later he received, through a rider, some troubling news. The kingdom was now in debt. But just in that moment his mood was corrected by a gift by the Stormlanders. Danos Darry had spotted and flanked a leaderless army of the Stormlands protecting the lands of the minor bannermen of house Stokeworth near the border. He ordered his army on a forced march and gave orders to Darry that he should continue with his manoeuvre and encircle the army from the south.

His bemusement was great, while he was observing the forces that the Stormkings had sent on patrol duty. He wondered how could they err so badly. The elite swordsmen and knights, experienced in previous engagements were positioning themselves against his forces. Leaderless, they were going to be easy prey to his large cavalry force. Especially after Darry moved in his troops.

The battle took place amongst sparse woods. The king intended to position his infantry on the outskirts of a thick patch of trees to prevent a strong cavalry charge on them, while he took all his horsemen down the right flank, where the ground was open. He easily crushed the resistance on the enemy left flank, then moved in against their centre, while Darry was approaching their right. Unfortunatley, the elite heavy cavalry and infantry of that captain Devan inflicted some casualties on his troops, especially on some of his most esteemed archers, who were, admittedly, poorly positioned in a small clearing in the middle of the forest.

At the end of the day, however, Tristifer decided it was a great success. In one hit, he had utterly annihilated the Stormkings' western flank and taken some of their most elite units that they would, surely, sorely miss in the coming months.

The next month brought more joyous news. First, there was the marriage between Jon Darry and Amerei Piper. The king raised a toast for them one night in his tent, amongst his closest retinue. Then, to further alleviate their situation, house Hoare had decided to declare war on the Kings of the rock. Indeed, it was a fine day for the Riverlands.

And just a week or so after those news, Darry and the king fell onto the fortress of Stokeworth. The defence was led by a Buckely that went by the name of Steffon. Tristifer had never heard of him. No matter. Soon the man was going to be dead. He had mostly militias with him and it was a matter of time before the first men came crashing through his walls. Darry, with his more numerous force, took up position near the Blackwater, to prevent any attack from the rear, while the more experienced king led his forces further north to stop any relief force coming from Rosby.

It took the two armies some time to consolidate and prepare siege engines. No relief force came and soon they breached the walls and culled the men inside in a crushing victory. For his bravery, Danos Darry was to become the new lord of the castle and hold the Blackrush in the king’s name.

On the day of the capturing of Stokeworth the king received some news. First, he was now deeply in debt. And, second, he heard of the marriage between Oswell Piper and a Tully. He cared little for the first news, but he raised a toast for the newly wed while sitting in the throne of the Stokeworths. He wondered, where they were, but that was a thought he quickly abandoned. Especially since he heard that a relief force, quite late, was coming towards the now captured city.

King Tristifer pushed Stannis Buckler hard and the coward with his inferior force fled back to Rosby. But the Hammer of Justice was relentless and fell again on the enemy of the first men. In a daring night attack against the unprepared forces of Buckler he managed to rout his army and claim victory. The leader of the Stormland forces fled into the castle and took over the command of the defenders from Galladon Stokeworth who had apparently been foolish enough to leave the safety of his own lands. In the end, it wouldn’t matter too much for him, the king was sure.

At that time, he estimated, his realm was the largest of all in Westeros. And with Rosby, Duskendale and the Rook’s Rest before him it would surely grow further. There was that minor trouble with the Arryns constantly increasing their troops on the borders, but he was certain that he will deal with them after he cleared the lands north of the Blackrush from followers of the accursed Stormking.

The king besieged Rosby and, soon enough, his forces were ready to crush the resistance inside…

“The battle will be hard.” The king walked slowly between the men of his retinue on that fateful day. “Many of us will die. That is unfortunate.” He would stop and look at them in the eyes, as if he wanted to pierce into their minds and see if they were prepared, itching for a fight, like he was. “But we will win. This I tell you, a man who has won more than fifty battles and is yet to taste defeat. We will crash into this castle and take it. There is no other option.”

Yet, he was not so sure himself. He had a lot of cavalrymen, but his infantry forces were lacking and he had even been forced to take up some mercenaries previously in the service of lord Darry. As he looked at the map scribbled in the dust he came to realize that this battle was not going to be won solely at one gate. His forces weren’t enough for a proper encirclement, but maybe…

He looked over the lines of his soldiers and rode out, his faithful guard behind him. His trip was short, for the man he sought was also a calryman and a noble like him, a minor lordling by the name of Hellman Goodbrook, in service of house Blackwood and leading their knights on the field this day.

“Hellman”, he said, pointing to the southeast. “The forests around the castle look deep enough and it is overcast. You can move around without attracting too much attention. The enemy would be too focused on our assault on the main gate and on the eastern wall to watch the northern gate. Take some of my riders and some men with ladders. I want you to draw in their forces in the north.”

Hellman nodded briefly and went on to do his duty. His plan ready to be set in motion, king Tristifer donned his helmet and readied his hammer. It was going to be bloody, but he never doubted his own words.

To his surprise as soon as the southern gate fell to his ram, Stannis Buckler flew out of the rubble, sword in his hand. As battle raged across the walls the king led his entire southern force against the foolhardy lord. His hammer hungered for blood.

As he was battling near the smashed gate, he heard the distant sounds of battle and he allowed himself a reserved smile. His men had managed to sneak through the northern gate and now had drawn some of the forces of the Stormlanders on them. Attacked at both gates and on the walls, the numericaly inferior andals had no chance.

Tristifer was mildly annoyed on learning that Stannis Buckler had died to a valiant horseman in his service. He had hoped to take the running coward’s life himself. Although lord Buckler has partially redeemed himself with his valiant last stand.

The battle raged on around them, but the king was now certain of his victory. News of the death of their commander spread quickly around the fortress as his forces pushed for the keep. He sent some cavalrymen to relief the warriors that breached the stronghold to the north and soon enough the man leading the defence there, Galladon Stokeworth broke and fled for his life towards the keep. Tristifer could not help himself but laugh as the panicking lord realised that he had charged right into a hundred knights ready to take his life.

In the end, the battle was a defeat for the Stormlanders. At the news of the death of their second leader, their forces broke and ran, and for that, Tristifer decided to spare the town. He intended to promise Hellman Goodbrook the lordship, but was dismayed to learn of the valiant warrior’s death. On the evening after the battle the glorious son of the first men was buried nearby the castle and the king himself delivered a speech in which he praised his courage.

The losses that his realm had endured during those quick eight months of victories weren’t great, but they, along with the two new castles actually helped the economy stabilize. It also helped that he received several donations from the thankful council after his envoys managed to secure trade with the Gradeners, Yronwoods and Martells.

Determined to get the job done as quickly as possible, the king left only a handful of his warriors behind to watch over the settlement and went east. And, to his great surprise, there was a lavish gift waiting for him at Duskendale.

Tristifer could barely wait to set up his siege engines and kill the pompous brat that had forced him to leave his home just weeks after concluding his last campaign in the Westerlands. So, he ordered a ram, a siege tower and some ladders and eagerly awaited to breach the walls and butcher the offender.

The king was quite annoyed when he heard that the high septon was preaching near Stoney heart, but there was nothing he could do at the time. Instead, he decided that it would be more appropriate if he put the head of the Stormking in a basket and send it to the high septon.

Unfortunately, he was unable to do so, as the Stormking managed to kill himself by running under a porticulus as his men poured hot oil. King Tristifer, aware of the fact that by now the war was won, went east and besieged the last remaining pocket of resistance on this side of the Blackwater.

The Boltons at this time parleyed with him for trade rights, through the voluptuous Lyra Bolton that had been staying for several months now at the Greenfork watch where his son was waiting for the Arryns. The king wondered what those two were up to. He was not going to allow his son to have bastards. Regardless, he wrote to the boy to accept the offer and sign the trading treaty. The gods knew that they could use the money.

As always, good news came well garnished with bad ones several days before the assault on the Rook’s Rest. On the one hand, in just a month, he had went from being in debt to the richest man in Westeros. Now he could order up the growing of new godswoods in the now captured territories and reinforce his troops. On the other hand, there was some troubling diplomatic information.

The lions were in allegiance with the eagles now. He didn’t know anything of their war with the Gardeners. For all he knew they might be close to a cease fire and the Hoares were, undoubtedly, not pressing hard enough in the west. Otherwise, the Arryns would not risk siding with a trouble-ridden kingdom. Anyway, he decided to wrap up his work in the south for now by a good, nearly bloodless assault on the keep, held by the alleged heir to the stormking. Who the current stormking was? He didn’t know and didn’t care actualy.

Unfortunately, in the battle, he was maimed by a valiant foeman. No worries. The ladies loved the scars, as he had said to his men just several months ago, on the start of this campaign. The battle was easy and quick and he set off just hours after that. He yearned to see his wife, and, after all, his forces needed retraining. Not to mention that Arryn troops had descended from their forsaken mountains in force.

“He was a worthy enemy, some may claim.” The king cared little to even look at the swine at his boots. “What are you then?”

Prince Denis, they called him. A useless dandy that wouldn’t know the blade from the hilt, even if it was deep in his belly. He begged, mumbled something for mercy and chivalry. Yes, Tristifer knew mercy. He knew chivalry. But not for this man. That bloody Andal deserved to die. Unfortunately it was not the king’s custom to kill captured enemies.

“Well, sire, what are your orders?”

His men held the prince tight. Not that the whimpering bastard could do anything dangerous, really. Tristifer shrugged. He was done with those lands for now. His hearth yearned for the tranquillity of the godswoods in home, for the loving embrace of his wife.

“Be kind to him.” He answered, half-turned towards them. The prince cried out in relief. “Blind him, but do so quickly and leave him to the men he swore to protect here.” The cry turned into a frenzied shriek.

As the guards dragged prince Denis away, the king wandered. Where will this take him. He had secured a tight spot where to protect himself from the Stormlands. The Blackrush was like an impenetrable fortress, even if he didn’t take Stokeworth into account. But with Arryns and Lannisters on his doorstep and the Hoares ever willing to raid? He didn’t know.

And now, all that was irrelevant. He was going home.

+rep

Commanding the Lannisters, the Martells and the Gardeners in the infinite hotseat wars to control Westeros.

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros
    Gaming Emeritus

I like it, I think you have captured Tristifer's personality nicely.

Thanks for the kid words. Anyways, any glaring mistakes you have noted and any words of wisdom on how can I improve the AAR in the future?

Now, I am ready with the next part. Just to keep myself updated on the world, i did a toggle_fow. It is somewhat stupid that you can't at least see castles changing hands when you have shared map info. And I am rebuilding but my strategical situation is quickly deteriorating. You will see how if you read through the wall of text & pictures coming in a few minutes.

This update will be less picture and action heavy, as I held back my forces and rebuilt.

Early summer, a fine day at Raventree hall.

Thoren Blackwood watched on proudly as his son rode on his black steed into the castle. Ronald was a fine boy indeed, and he was going to be a good warrior. The youngling had fire in his belly and he was proud, just like his father. Even better, at this early age, he was showing sings that he was going to become a great warrior.

“That’s my boy” declared Thoren, observing his son from the battlements.

Luceon Piper, a stout man with silver in his hairs returned a sharp smile in response. Lord Piper was a dear guest of Thoren. He had ridden through the land for several weeks now, to be part of the fourteenth name day of Ronald and his inauguration into the ranks of the king’s men.

“He speaks very fondly of the king, don’t you think?” Piper was resting his arm on the battelements, a cup of wine in his hand. He was sipping from it on a regular basis, but he didn’t look as jolly as Thoren had hoped.

“He will do good. He really will” nodded Blackwood in response, then suddenly cursed as he came to realise that he had spilled his wine skin all over his garb. “Now I will need another skin, damn it! And the tunic was rather expensive on top of that.”

“You can always have another one” waived it off Luceon. “But as I was telling you, it was quite a surprise.”

“What…” Thoren’s voice faltered and danced back and forth as he was fighting his heavy tongue. He had often quarrelled with his nosy son about his drinking. But he was a lord, and wine was a lordly think… thing… Whatever.

“Your memory isn’t very sharp those days, is it, firend? Blackwater sighed and related his tale again.
    Just several days ago the young vixen… or hawk rather, Myranda Arryn had, quite surprisingly, approached him at Pinkmaiden and requested a trade treaty. The king had sent orders to Luceon to accept and lord Piper did so, albeit after a little bit of haggling. And there were joyous news from the south. Thing were going well throught the land.

In his defence, Thoren managed to follow most of Luceon’s words but completely lost him after Piper mentioned Rosby. For the king had promised that his little boy would become the lord of Rosby. Rosby, may the Gods be good, and his sonnn… son.
    “He is going to do good, isn’t he” Thoren interrupted his esteemed guest. “He is going to do good.”
    Luceon nodded, mildly annoyed at the drunken sod’s inability to listen to him. But still, that didn’t manage to upset him for long. Things were going well in king Tristifer’s realm.

King Tristifer couldn’t deny that he was now in a very healthy position. With the new trade treaty with the Vale signed, he could rely on them staying neutral for at least several more months. And that was just the time needed for him to replenish his weakened army.

He was in a good mood after the smashing successes of his previous campaign and decided to go and hunt some brigands as he moved back northwest. The highwaymen stood no chance as he charged through their lines and slaughtered the lawless bastards. He would not allow them to terrorise the helpless population. Not even if they were mostly Andal in those parts.

It was when he was near Maidenpool when he heard news of Ronald Blackwood’s coming of age. He sent riders with a letter to lord Blackwood to send his son towards Rosby, for he needed commanders in this area. He also ordered him that the relatives of Hellman Goodbrother, the man that had perished taking Rosby in his name, should be rewarded and that his sons, if he had any, were to travel with the young Ronald and become strong warriors.

He also heard, days after this, that his men had finally transported seeds of the hearttrees into the south, and planted them at the Antlers, Stokeworth and Rosby. He went on to order more trees and groves planted. The faith of his men was one of his primary concerns.

Also while on the road, he learned that he was now grandfather, not of one, but of two healthy girls. The younger one was Catelyn. Those were good news. The little lioness was fertile. And at least some of his children would not live and perish by the sword. He swore to himself that he would not allow his granddaughters to know the hardships of war. It was a bitter reality made for men and men only.

The next month came with bitter news. The king of the north was dead and the Boltons sent him an insult. A very small part of the king’s skin was sent to him, as a “gift”, along a swift rider. They requested that he withdrawed his forces from their border, for Moat Cailin was now theirs, along with the Last Hearth. Indeed, it seemed that dynasties were about to change in the north. He still had faith in the Starks, but in any case, he hoped that the Boltons would not continue along their dangerous course. He would hate it if he had to fight first men.

While he was nearing on the Oldstones he established an archer’s guild in there. This would help his well-trained Riverland archers become even better. Those news weren’t the only ones. A small force led by Gawen Swann had foolishly lain siege to Stokeworth and Danos Darry smashed them with ease. Also, an Outriders guild requested to establish itself in Duskendale. The king doubted their usefulness, but agreed nonetheless.

Shortly after this he arrived at his castle and sat in his godswood, at peace. Meanwhile new recruits were flocking into the ranks of his army. Lord Teague, whom he had ordered into a forced “prolonged visit” in the Oldstones met him with little respect, but it mattered little, for the king only had eyes for his wife.

As his forces retrained, news came from all over the world. Most were really troubling. He had sent an envoy west and his man now reported that the Lannisters were winning every battle. They had taken Crakehall and some of the islands of the iron men, and they were almost ready to add Tumbelton to their growing domain. He was worried that they were going to turn east shortly after that.

Even worse, the timid and cautious ruler of the Vale was now dead. His reckless son that the people called Talon would surely cause the Riverlands much grief, if he had the chance. But up to now the new king did very little – he marched his forces up and down near the Saltplans, but never even got close to attacking the settlement.

And to add to the bad news, there was not one but two armies heading towards the Blackrush. That meant that hard times were coming for Danos Darry. He had faith in the commander, but the southerner forces were led by their king himself, a somewhat feminine and inexperienced, but still inspiring warrior by the name of Gulian.

Danos Darry was a seasoned warrior. He had fought in the campaign of his lifetime, or at least so he thought. Now his lord had ordered him that he should hold the Blackrush at all costs. And he intended to do so, in spite of being outnumbered two to one. His forces were ready and their blades were honed. The Blackwood lord of Rosby also had a small contingent that he was ready to send in case of an emergency. So lord Darry stood on the Blackrush and patiently awaited for the fools to break upon his shieldwall.

“He did what?!”

Danos Darry, now the lord of Stokeworth in all but name stood in the throne of the recently slain lord Stokeworth. He tasted lord Stokeworth’s wine. And he tasted lord Stokewroth’s wife. It wasn’t like tasting a dornishman’s wife, but she was fair and young. But now, astonishingly, his interest was affixed on lord Stokeworth’s master, a nearly useless old raven by the name of Henrick.

“Milord, my information is…”

“I care little for your information” snarled Danos in response. “Give me the facts.”

“Yes, milord.” Henrick bowed deeply. He was a cowardly man, and he valued his life quite a lot. “King Gulian is… was coming in force. Now he had set up camp into the Kingswood and send letters to, as he says, his faithful bannermen north of the Blackwater. He asks them to rally to him and raise the banner of defiance. He also says of a tourney that he will organize to select the braves knight that will have the honour of cutting the usurper’s head…” Henrick’s voice broke and the man retreated as swiftly as he could without turning his back to Danos.

Lord Darry did not hold back his grin. The usurper. A fine title. Since he was already a lord of Darry, why not become the usurper of Stokeworth aswell?

“And his vanguard?” He turned, still smiling, to the chief of his outriders, a small, weaselly man by the name of Nestor.

“They are still coming, lord Darry.”

His grin turned into a sharp laughter. The Stormking had done it again. The same mistake, twice in a row. He and Tristifer crushed them the first time. And this time he would do it alone.

“Send the riders to Rosby.” Nestor nodded and turned, ready to run off and prepare his men. “I want some of his spearmen to support me. Men” The air was thick in anticipation “we go to war!”
    And from the throats of a hundred first men, a warcry erupted like no other in fair Westeros.

The battlefield just south of the crossing was favouring him, lord Darry thought. His forces were more numerous and more experienced. He had the advantage in just about everything but heavy infantry, and the army that stood against him had not one horseman. The centre of the battlefield was dominated by a farm and lord Darry decided to anchor his right flank on it, while his forces occupied the ridge to the east of the farm.

The enemy was oddly positioned, straight against the farm, with their right flank towards his forces, but Darry was closer to the building and took it with ease. His men formed up and. He send up half of his cavalry to harass the lines of the southeners while he personally led the cavalry on the right flank of his army to the south, around the farm.

The experienced bowmen of the Riverlands took their toll on the lines of the Andals and the cavalry on the left flank dispersed the enemy archers several times. Soon the cohesion of the enemy forces started diminishing and they turned into a mass of men limping blindly forward as they were blinded by a hail of arrows from the east and deafened by the thunder of hooves from both the north and the south.

The reinforcements of lord Darry, led by the brave, if somewhat reckless captain Janos arrived on the right flank of the Stormlanders and forced them into a melee, causing them to expose themselves to the centre of the Riverlander formation. Darry took the chance and ordered his infantry to charge. The enemy was unable to form a line, his forces scattered all around the battlefield in pursuit of the enemy cavalry. It soon turned into a rout as even the Andall greatswords failed before the massed spears of the first men. Their leader broke and was slain as he fled for his life. From the entirety of the southern host only eighteen men managed to flee with their lives.

As a reward for his bravery, Danos Darry took on captain Janos’s sons into his retinue. The man himself was an experienced spearman, but his young children could become good riders. Janos had no family name or title, so Danos took the liberty of giving his children the last name Nayland.

There were some news as his victorious force retreated towards Stokeworth to reinforce the fords. King Tristifer was taking his forces from the Oldstones. He intended to take Massey’s hook and break the will of the Stormkings to fight. Also, Darry was now officially a fortress, as the king generously rewarded Danos with the resources required to improve his seat of power.

King Gulian, apparently distraught over the loss of eight hundred of his men ended his tourney and hurried north. But it was too late. Darry had already reinforced the fords. The last news he heard were that the stormking was encircling to the west. Troubling indeed. He could attack Darry keep or Stoney heart from there, where the High septon was still preaching. But Danos was calm. He had promised to the king that he would hold the ford. And he kept up to his promises.

“How went your watch, soldier?”

Nestor gave him a nasty smile. That man unsettled Danos. But the weasel was very useful indeed.

“All is well, my liege.”

Lord Darry was not really relieved to hear that. He expected no less. The Stormking could not break through them easily, and the realm was prospering and in relative peace. Then why was he so nervous?

He had taken a liking to the wife of lord Stokeworth. He himself was a widow. She was too. Maybe there was place for happiness in this world, even during war. Maybe everything was fine. But he was considered an intelligent man and put trust into his instincts. And something was not fine. Now everybody hated them. The Boltons. The Arryns. The Gardeners. The Stormkings. Even their alies the Lannisters would love to stab them. Their only friends were the Starks, but they were losing their war. King Tristifer was a good leader. Strong and courageous. But no man could hold out alone against the world. Even with the Blackwater at his feet and lord Stokeworth’s wife in his bed.

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros
    Gaming Emeritus

Looking forward to the next chapter.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

+rep

I'm playing with Mudd too. Currently, I'm at war with the Lannisters and the Stormkings. Fighting like Germany on two fronts has been my dream. I would love to see your progress though.
    Oh, and I'm playing campaign on VH because it's grueling and I have no plate armour.