Page 1 of 56 12345678910112651 ... LastLast

Thread: Candelarius' Extended Realism Mod for RTRPE 1.7

Default Candelarius' Extended Realism Mod for RTRPE 1.7

Candelarius' Extended Realism Mod for Rome Total Realism Platinum Edition 1.7 - Version 2.3

NOTICE: The full mod download links are now updated to Version 2.3.
    Scroll to the bottom of the page for the links and instructions.

Overview: Based on the discussion we had in my Ultimate Guide to Playing RTR Historically as the Romans thread at the RTR forums, I decided to put together this mod for RTRPE that more accurately reflects the historical composition and recruitment methods used by the Romans in the Early, Middle, and Late Republic. Currently in RTRPE, as the Roman player you can recruit Roman Infantry (hastati, principes, and triarii) from any province that has a Provincial Barracks, in or out of Italy. However, historically, during the time of the Middle Republic (prior to 95 BC), only Romans (re: citizens of Rome) were eligible for service in the legions. The Romans would conscript soldiers into their armies from their Latin allies, but these military contributions initially waged war in their native fashion (Italic Swordsmen and Spearmen). Later, as the Latin allies became more integrated into the Roman methodologies and gained greater access to Roman arms and armor, the Latin allies began to closer and closer resemble their Roman counterparts. However, there was a very distinct difference between Romans and Italian allies. This modification of RTRPE simulates that difference and more historically represents the composition of a Republican Army. In addition, when you use the optional Promethean Legion addon pack, you'll have Augustan reform Roman units. Finally, this mod introduces a number of other mods created by myself and other community members to enhance the realism of the gaming experience. I've also included two new factions to play, the Britons and the Galatians. I hope you enjoy this mod as much as I have making it.

Note: You must have Barbarian Invasion to play the Extended Realism Mod "as is". I have found the AI to be far more competitive and it really helps the Briton faction since the AI uses naval transports better. If you do not have BI, download the mod and follow the instructions at the bottom of this page to make it "non BI" compatible.

Specifics:
    • Three additional Mid-Republic units available for recruitment: Italic Hastati, Italian Principes, and Italian Triarii. These represent the later Romanized Italic legions that were levied from the Latin allies. The Italic Infantry will be recruitable only in Italy and only once you have completed the Provincial Barracks. Until you complete the Provincial Barracks, your allies will submit native Italic levies (see next point).
    • Seven new Early Republican allied Italic troops units and the existing two units in RTR have been reskinned. All Italic units are broken into four defined Areas of Recruitment (AOR). As this chart illustrates, instead of general Italian spearman and swordsmen, you'll now have Etrurian, Marsi, and Samnite spearmen and swordsman, as well as Greek skirmishers and hoplites in the south.
    • Roman Infantry (Hastati, Principes, and Triarii) are only recruitable in Roma and Capua. Historically, the Roman Infantry were only recruitable in Rome (levies from the landed citizenship of the city), but, later, Capua became a major Roman training center. I have made the Roman Infantry recruitable in both cities at the start of the game. This is a minor concession to gameplay, to better enable the player to build appropriate armies as represented in my guide.
    • Both Roman and Italic Infantry are only recruitable in Italy. It wasn't until all of Italy received the Roman citizenship that Romans began to recruit for their legions outside Rome. Italic Infantry are obviously not recruitable outside Italy. You will need to maintain careful lines of supply and be careful with your expansion, as you will have to ship Roman and Italic troops from Italy to your front lines. You're going to become very dependent on mercenaries and diplomats when far from home, as was historically true at this time.
    • The standard version of this mod does not effect the Marius event and does not effect post-Marius legions or recruitment, with the exception of the Roman First Cohort. I increased the unit size as was historical and increased the unit's cost accordingly. For info on the new Marius and Augustan units in the optional Promethean addon pack, see below.
    • The Mid-Republican Italic Infantry have the same costs and stats as their Roman counterparts, but, suffer from slightly less morale (since they are fighting as conscripts and not for the glory of Rome!).
    • This mod includes the correct triarii unit size (half from vanilla RTR). See Quintus' Guide to Conduct Becoming of a True Roman or my own guide for details on historical Republican army formations and unit compositions.
    • I changed the initial buildings in Italy. In vanilla RTRPE you start with Provincial Barracks in Ancona. I changed the starting buildings to Phase III Auxilia. This was done to simulate that you need to invest in your allies (build Provincial Barracks) to get access to better Italic Infantry troops. Capua starts with a Provincial barracks like normal, but can recruit Roman Infantry, to simulate the fact that Capua was a major training center and, in game terms, to give the player one more city from which to recruit Roman legions.
    • This mod also makes all AOR units available in Custom Battles. Otherwise you couldn't play with the Italian Infantry in your Custom Battles! Note that this does not effect AOR units in the campaign game.
    • Included a script that gives the AI a cash bonus whenever their treasury balance falls to half their starting balance. For example, if their starting treasury balance was 6,000 and their treasury at any point in the game calls to 3,000, this script would give the AI controlled faction a cash bonus on their next turn of 3,000. This is intended to help keep the AI from bankrupting itself and adds a slightly more challenging game for the human player, without letting the AI "cheat" overly much.
    • Includes Stuie's AI Command Bonus trait.
    • Includes the Cognomen Mod.
    • Includes the Naval Reskin Mod.
    • Includes Marcus Camillus' Player Formation Mod (with Typhoon's and my manipular formation tweaks).
    • Includes Marcus Camillus' 4tpyr Mod (see note below).
    • Included Florin80 and Sleepysmoo's tower and wall settings to eliminate the "seige tower bug".
    • Added Briton AOR for all factions and made a Galatian Imitation Legionary AOR unit.
    • Translated proto-Germanic unit names into English for clarification purposes. The proto-Germanic name is still in the unit description.
    • Added recruitable Generals for all factions. Generals are very expensive and take two turns to recruit (except Armenian generals, which take three), and requires a stable and faction barracks building (non-auxilia, except for Parthia and Scythia, which only require auxilia3 barracks). New Roman generals are military tribunes.
    • Includes new 3rd Century BC Spartan Hoplite, Hellenic Officer, pre-Marius General, and Italian Skirmisher models and skins by Caius Brittanicus.
    • Includes more realistic Roman fort by lt1956.
    • Removed the RTR Gold campaign map texture files and reverted back to pre-Gold textures.
    • Includes Darth's AI Formations version 16 (adjusted to be compatible with my mod, since I used the two extra Roman slots for barbarian factions).
    • Added two completely playable factions, the Britons and the Galatians. This was done using the romans_scipii and romans_brutii faction slots. I decided to add the Britons for mostly personal reasons, a) I've always hated that our good friends on the RTR team removed them in favor of Bactria and b) I've always been a big fan of Romano-British history. When playing with the BI.exe version of my mod, the Britons will be able to take advantage of the BI game engine and will more intelligently reinforce from Briton to mainland Europe. I have intentionally given the Britons a weak starting army and very nasty rebel armies to contend with. This was done to allow Gaul a chance to get "up to speed" in the early game before Briton is able to cross the channel. I decided to add the Kingdom of Galatia for practical reasons, a) the Seleucids need another "speed bump" faction, in addition to Pontus and Armenia, to check their early game land grab and b) um...honestly, I thought it would be a cool faction to have! The Galatians start with a good chunk of change from their recent campaign of rampaging Greece and Asia Minor, and have two very strong armies. However, with only one province and surrounded by enemies, the Galatians are going to need to put their starting units and cash to good use lest their get over-run, or go bankrupt. Each new faction has a complete unit and building list, with many new reskinned units, all based on historical research. Each faction has new victory conditions, campaign descriptions and maps, and uses appropriate DarthMod formation settings. The only thing I didn't create were new faction icons, though I did customize the scipii and brutii battle banners to look "barbarian" instead of square-Roman-style.
    • Added optional Promethean Roman Legions skin pack. I feel that the Promethean skins are highly historically accurate, if not more-so than the standard RTRPE ones, but, I feel that not everyone may agree, so, they are optional. Note that when you use the Promethean skins pack that my Romanized Italic skins will be replaced with Promethean ones. Every Roman unit except the slingers and velites have been replaced with Promethean models and skins. Also, new officers and generals for the Romans are included. And finally, I have included five new units, to represent the Augustan military reform of 27bc. You have three auxilia units available outside Italy and Augustan Late Republican Legionaries, available after the Marius reform. Note the Augustan Legionaries can for the testudo formation. For realism, I suggest waiting until 27bc before you begin using the Augustan units.
    • Changed campaign end date to 14 AD, the death of Augustus.
    • Added Pinarius' Horse Mod, which includes new highly detailed horse models and skins for all factions.
    • The Senate faction is playable in Custom Battles to enable the player to recreate Roman vs. Roman battles. Therefore the Senate faction has an identical unit selection to the in-game Roman faction (also known as the romans_julii faction).

Note on Marcus Camillus' 4tpyr Mod: I have modified the Roman Leadership element of Marcus' 4tpyr Mod. With his permission, I essentially made a few small tweaks to make the mod, in my humble opinion, a bit more realistic. I have made it so that, under Marcus' Roman Leadership Banner rules, your two consuls will always carry the Consular Army Banners, and nobody else. I did this for two reasons. (1) Since there are always going to be two senior ranking men, the Faction Leader and Heir, it makes sense to have them named after the two senior military roles: the consuls. (2) When playing by Quintus Sertorius' roleplaying guide, you can only have two "full stack" consular armies at a time. This makes it easier to track who and where your consuls are. Keep in mind that historically a consul only "ruled" for a single year, so, this position in the game is a representation, or abstraction, of who the current consuls presently are.

Suggested play tips:
    • Do not build Provincial Barracks in Italy until you have completed the First Punic War, at least (captured all of Sicily) and control all of Italy south of Arrentium. Indeed, I suggest waiting till the Second Punic War, or approximately 200 BC. I know it will be tempting to build Provincial Barracks immediately to start playing with the new Italic Infantry, but, they are meant to simulate the "Romanization" of your Latin allies.
    • Also, once you grant Roman citizenship to your provinces (assuming you don't have the Marius event by that time), I suggest disbanding all your Italic troops in those enfranchised cities. That will represent they have returned home to put their affairs in order and are now ready to be recruited as new Roman Infantry. This will add a bit of roleplaying fun and also is a good explanation why you can't retrain Italic Infantry after the Citizen Barracks. I leave up to the player, however.
    • I strongly suggest not building the final barracks teir when playing as the Romans in Italy, known as the Citizenship Barracks, until the Marius reforms. Historically, the Romans relied heavily on Italic conscripts until the time of Marius, and no city outside Rome and Capua would have “produced” fully Romanized infantry until Marius and the end of the Social War.
    • If playing with the Promethean Legion optional add-on pack, you'll notice I've introduced a Late Republican Legionary and Auxillary troops. Historically, these were not introduced until Augustus reformed the army in approximately 27 BC. I suggest waiting until that time to recruit those unit types, but of course, it's up to you. You could always "re-write" history!
    • Of course, review my Ultimate Guide to Playing RTR Historically as the Romans thread. B-) .
    • Galatian players: Your faction starts out with a large treasury (afterall, you just sacked Macedonia!), but, don't be greedy. I strongly suggest you use your two starting standing armies, and capture the two independent (rebel) cities to the northwest. Also, build your economic infrastructure as fast as you can, and be prepared for the Seluecid's eventual evasion.
    • Briton players: Your faction starts our very weak, but, in a great defensive position. Start by taking Caledonia and Hiberia from the rebels, but, be warned, they are tough nuts to crack!

Screenshots: Check out the screenshots post for in-game images of all the units added by this mod.

Roman AOR Units
    Map of Area of Recruitment

Samnite, Marsi, and Etrurian Units. Also generic Italic Units.

Italic Romanized Infantry, available anywhere in Italy at Provincial Barracks.

Roman Infantry, available only in Rome and Capua until Roman Citizenship Barracks.

Optional Promethean Legions pack.

Note: Immitation legionary models and skins are by Prometheus. The shield designs of the Armenian, Pontic, and Numidian units are by the RTR Team. All skins are used with permission. Thanks to Prometheus for making the Promethean Legions pack available for this mod.

Compatibility: This mini-mod is for RTRPE 1.7, and is not compatible with any other mod. It is currently up to date to version 1.7. The mod also includes Marcus Camillus' 4tpyr Mod, so it is not necessary to install it again. Thanks to Marcus for permission to integrate his mod into mine. You must have Barbarian Invasion to play the Extended Realism Mod "as is". I have found the AI to be far more competitive and it really helps the Briton faction since the AI uses naval transports better. If you do not have BI, download the mod and follow the instructions at the bottom of this page to make it "non BI" compatible.

Permission: Anyone may use this mini-mod in their mods or games. You don't have to ask. Please make sure you credit myself as the author of the mini-mod and credit RTR for the unit models. You must credit Prometheus if you use the Promethean Legion skin pack that I use in my mod in your own mod.

Credits: Thanks to Quintus Sertorius and DaVinci for their excellent gameplay guides and historical research. Thanks to Crymson for brainstorming ideas and suggestions. Special thanks to Marcus Camillus for his 4tpyr Mod. Also, thanks to the RTR Team for the unit models and skins. Thanks to Dark89 for his permission to use the RTR files for this mod. Additional thanks to Dominus for his historical advice on early Republican army compositions. And thanks to Cheexsta, Ryman, Macedonn, and Stuie for all their modding advice. Thanks to Darth for his AI formations mod. Thanks also to lt1956 for his Roman fort. Additional credit to Caius Britannicus and Warspite for the new Spartan and eastern officer unit models and skins. Thank you very much to Prometheus for his Promethean Roman Legion skins pack, which is used here with permission. Thanks to Pinarius for his excellent horse models and skins. Also thank you to AngryTitusPullo and Salvor Hardin for their help with the "add money script". And finally thank you to the rest of the fan community, and those I forgot, that have made this mod possible.

NOTICE: Step-by-Step illustrated installation instructions can be found here.

Download Candelarius' Extended Realism Mod for RTRPE 1.7, Version 2.3:
    >>> DOWNLOAD LINK <<<

Installation Instructions:
    1. Have Rome Total Realism Platinum Edition 1.7 installed over Barbarian Invasion*.
    2. Download my mod and copy the DATA folder in the rar file to your RTRPE 1.7 folder. That's it!

*Instructions for how to install RTRPE 1.7 over BI:
    1. Install vanilla RTW-BI and patch to BI version 1.6.
    2. Copy RTRPE over your BI installation. Note: Copy the "data" folder of RTRPE 1.7 over the "data" folder in your root Rome Total War folder. See this image if you are unclear.
    3. Create a shortcut to your BI.exe, and add "-mod:" to the end of the command line. For example, if you installed BI over the default directory, your command line would look like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-BI.exe" -show_err -mod:

Download Promethean Roman Legion Pack for Version 2.3:
    >>> DOWNLOAD LINK <<<

Instructions for how to install the Promethean Roman Legion skin pack:
    1. Install the Extended Realism Mod for RTRPE 1.7 Version 2.3 as per the instructions above.
    2. Copy the "data" folder from the Promethean Pack into your Rome Total War folder. Just like above, it should go into \Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data

Note: You MUST install my mod first, and then the Promethean Legion Pack.

Known Issues:
    1. Galatian and Britons start out at war with the Romans. There is no known way to fix this, just make peace with each other.
    2. Galatians cannot recruit chariots. A fix for this is located here.

Notice: My mod is compatible with vanilla RTW 1.5 and with standard non-BI RTRPE. But, you will need to follow these instructions:
    If your NOT using the Promethean Legion skin pack...
    1. Download my mod.
    2. BEFORE installing, open the rar archive and locate the folder in \data called \packs, and DELETE IT.
    3. Install the mod. After installing, locate and open the file called "export_descr_units.txt" in \data, and remove the words "can_swim" and "shield_wall" each time they appear in that file. Just use the "find" tool in Windows and delete each instance of those words, being sure to remove the comma (,) at the end of the line as well. Save your changes. Now, you can play my mod over the 1.5 RTW engine rather than the BI engine.

If your ARE using the Promethean Legion skin pack...
    1. Download my mod.
    2. BEFORE installing, locate the folder in \data called \packs, and DELETE IT.
    3. Install my mod.
    4. Download the Promethean Legion addon pack and install it as per the readme.
    5. After installed, open the file called "export_descr_units.txt" in \data, and remove the words "can_swim" and "shield_wall" each time they appear in that file. Just use the "find" tool in Windows and delete each instance of those words, being sure to remove the comma (,) at the end of the line as well. Save your changes. Now, you can play my mod over the 1.5 RTW engine rather than the BI engine.
    Last edited by Candelarius; February 05, 2007 at 10:22 AM. Reason: updating

Default Updates

This space is reserved for updates.

NOTE: This mod project is now considered "done". Version 2.3 is the final version of the mod. The mod is no longer supported by Candelarius, who has moved on to other things. Have a nice life.
    :-)

Current change log:

Version 2.4 (Not yet released, awaiting RTRPE version 1.8).
    - <CANCELLED>

Version 2.3 (Current Released Version).
    -Repackaged Full Installs to include all bugs corrections and hotfixes.
    -Fixed problem that caused Promethean Edition users to have an incorrect number of starting provinces for the Briton faction.

Version 2.2f
    -Fixed issue that prevented Briton and Galatian factions from being able to attack the Romans.

Version 2.2e
    -Resolved a CTD issue with version 2.2 of the Extended Realism Mod. The problem was caused by a darn missing sprite.

Version 2.2d
    -Resolved a CTD issue with version 2.2 of the Extended Realism Mod. (didn't actually fix problem)

Version 2.2c
    -Resolved five known bugs with version 2.2b of the Extended Realism Mod.
    1. Fixes Roman General's screwed up texture.
    2. Fixes missing unit cards for Briton rebels.
    3. Fixes the fact that the Romans, Galatians, and Scipii all start out at war with each other.
    4. Fixes the hidden resource attribute for Briton AOR units so they are only recruitable in Briton.
    5. Corrected problem where city-view wasn't working for Galatians and Britons.
    -Balanced Britons more. They now start with only one province and renamed their difficulty to "hard".
    -Renamed difficulty for Galatians to "very hard".

Version 2.2
    - Updated to RTRPE 1.7.
    - Added recruitable Generals for all factions. Generals are very expensive and take two turns to recruit (except Armenian generals, which take three), and requires a stable and faction barracks building (non-auxilia, except for Parthia and Scythia, which only require auxilia3 barracks). New Roman generals are military tribunes.
    - Added two completely playable factions, the Britons and the Galatians. This was done using the romans_scipii and romans_brutii faction slots.
    - Corrected Samnite Infantry stats. They were still based on the merc unit.
    - Changed "prefers_naval_invasions" for Greece, Illyria, and Carthage to "no". This was changed in vanilla RTRPE to make the factions more likely to conduct naval invasions. However, the only faction in vanilla RTW and BI that had that function enabled was the Britons...and for cause. When enabled, it can cause the AI to literally prefer naval invasions, which can cause very annoying AI performance, especially when playing with BI.exe (you'll notice the AI sending spam army after army each turn by ship to the same spot on the campaign map). This function is only in the game files to force the British faction to move units to mainland Europe.
    - Changed Faction Leader title to 'Consul of Rome', and the Faction Heir to 'Consul of Rome', with the following descriptions: Faction Leader - This character represents the current consul of Rome. There were always two consuls during the Republic, who ruled jointly for a one year term. Your Faction Leader and Faction Heir will always be the joint consuls. For gaming purposes, these two characters are a representation of this years elected consuls. Also changed disherited trait to be called "Denied Consulship", the text reads: 'Once he was selected to be a Consul of Rome, but he was considered unsuitable due to intrigue or dishonor. He will have to live with the dishonour for the rest of his life.'
    - Includes new 3rd Century BC Spartan Hoplite, Hellenic Officer, early Roman General, and new Italian Skirmishers by Caius Brittanicus.
    - Includes more realistic Roman fort by lt1956.
    - Re-removed the RTR Gold campaign map texture files and reverted back to pre-Gold textures.
    - Includes Darth's AI Formations version 16 (adjusted to be compatible with my mod, since I used the two extra Roman slots for barbarian factions).
    -Added two completely playable factions, the Britons and the Galatians.
    -Added optional Promethean Roman Legions skin pack.
    -Changed campaign end date to 14 AD, the death of Augustus.
    -Added Pinarius' Horse Mod, which includes new highly detailed horse models and skins for all factions.
    -The Senate faction is playable in Custom Battles to enable the player to recreate Roman vs. Roman battles. Therefore the Senate faction has an identical unit selection to the in-game Roman faction (also known as the romans_julii faction).

Version 2.1
    - Incorporated version 1.9.3 of Marcus Camillus 4tpyr Mod.
    - My previous adjustment to rename the Faction Leader from Princeps Senatus to Senior Consul, and the Faction Heir from Future Princeps Senatus to Junior Consul, have been reset back to their original intended titles, as per Marcus' design. This was done due to (1) I have found very little evidence, outside the Masters of Rome series of novels, that the terms junior and senior were ever applied in this manner and (2) my adjustments in the previous paragraph above rendered the change redundant.

Version 2.0
    - Made Compatible with RTRPE 1.6
    - First full version of my mod, with all changes implemented.

Version 1.0
    - Released as Italian Infantry Mod.
    - First version of my mod, before I decided to broaden the mod's scope.
    Last edited by Candelarius; December 08, 2006 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Updating

Default Ultimate Guide to Playing RTR Historically as the Romans

The RTR forums are currently down, you can find my Ultimate Guide to Playing RTR Historically as the Romans here:

http://files.filefront.com/Ultimate_.../fileinfo.html

My Ultimate Guide is a PDF file designed to be a supplement to my Extended Realism Mod for RTRPE.
    Last edited by Candelarius; July 16, 2006 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Updated

Maced0n's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Candelarius' Extended Realism Mod for RTRPE

Hi Candel

Version 2.2 (currently testing)
    - Updated to RTRPE 1.7??

Is there a new RTRPE 1.7?

Candelarius' Extended Realism Mod for RTRPE
    Screen Shot Post

This post holds my official Screenshots. Note that some units numbers may have been adjusted for balancing, as well as formation settings, and also note that all units have custom unit cards. All textures and unit cards were done by me, with the exception of the Romanized Hastati, Romanized Triarii, Samnite Spearment, and Marsi Hoplite, which are used with permission from the RTR Gold Team.

Roman AOR Units
    Map of Area of Recruitment

Samnite Infantry: Available in at Auxillary Barracks 2 and 3, outside Rome and Capua.

Samnite Swordsmen: Available in at Auxillary Barracks 2 and 3, outside Rome and Capua.

Samnite Spearmen: Available in at Auxillary Barracks 2 and 3, outside Rome and Capua.

Etrurian Swordsmen: Available in at Auxillary Barracks 2 and 3, outside Rome and Capua.

Etrurian Spearmen: Available in at Auxillary Barracks 2 and 3, outside Rome and Capua.

Etrurian Hoplite: Available in at Auxillary Barracks 2 and 3, outside Rome and Capua.

Marsi Swordsmen: Available in at Auxillary Barracks 2 and 3, outside Rome and Capua.

Marsi Spearmen: Available in at Auxillary Barracks 2 and 3, outside Rome and Capua.

Marsi Hoplite: Available in at Auxillary Barracks 2 and 3, outside Rome and Capua.

Romanized Italian Hastati: Available outside Rome and Capua in the Provincial Barracks.

Romanized Italian Principes: Available outside Rome and Capua in the Provincial Barracks.

Romanized Italian Triarii: Available outside Rome and Capua in the Provincial Barracks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Briton Unit Roster

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Galatian Unit Roster

Last edited by Candelarius; August 06, 2006 at 01:47 PM.

hey, Yaka aka Candy!:tooth:

just waiting for 1.6full (or is it 1.7? whichever comes out first ) to try your very promising mod out!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss
    hey, Yaka aka Candy!:tooth:

just waiting for 1.6full (or is it 1.7? whichever comes out first ) to try your very promising mod out!
    I believe Marcus is going to skip the 1.6 full, and just call it the 1.7 full instead. :hmmm:

Quote Originally Posted by yakaspat
    I believe Marcus is going to skip the 1.6 full, and just call it the 1.7 full instead. :hmmm:
    cool. hope it won't take him long!

oh, is there a difference between your mini-mods? i.e works with current 1.6 but would need further alterations for 1.7. if so how long would it take you to get it up to 1.7?
    sorry if it was answered elsewhere already.

Quote Originally Posted by yakaspat
    Not yet. :wink:

We are planning a final release of RTRPE, which will be version 1.7. It is currently being finalized and tested. I think Marcus hopes to release it very soon. It will basically just be a few tweaks and fixes of some things we turned up after releasing 1.6, no biggy. It will also be save-game compatible, AFAIK.
    Sorry, it will not be savegame compatible. I am almost certain now that I have found and eliminated the Winter 66 BC crash problem that we inherited from RTR Gold. I need to run a few more full campaign tests to be sure, but my latest AI-only test campaign has passed the Winter 66 BC turn with no fatal crash. Its now Summer 40 BC and still running! I sure hope I figured it out.

I have also been reviewing the resources and a few city game engine names. Both needed some corrections and will be included in the final v1.7 full install release. I'll elaborate further once the RTR Forums are back online. You won't believe what the final solution to the 66 BC crash seems to be, its just one small word in one text file that apparently the game engine needs to see near the end of the game, or it CTD's.
    Marcus Camillus

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Camillus
    Sorry, it will not be savegame compatible. I am almost certain now that I have found and eliminated the Winter 66 BC crash problem that we inherited from RTR Gold. I need to run a few more full campaign tests to be sure, but my latest AI-only test campaign has passed the Winter 66 BC turn with no fatal crash. Its now Summer 40 BC and still running! I sure hope I figured it out.

I have also been reviewing the resources and a few city game engine names. Both needed some corrections and will be included in the final v1.7 full install release. I'll elaborate further once the RTR Forums are back online. You won't believe what the final solution to the 66 BC crash seems to be, its just one small word in one text file that apparently the game engine needs to see near the end of the game, or it CTD's.
    What file and correct is preventing 1.7 from being save game compatible exactly?

And GREAT JOB figuring out the 66 BC CTD issue!

Update: I've decided to include the 3rd Century BC Spartan Hoplite for RTR by Caius Brittanicus and RTR Hellenic Officer Reskin by Caius Britannicus and Warspite in my next patch.

I had been considering also making an optional download to include Prometheus' new Roman Legions Pack, but, due to technical difficulties (I can't figure out how to unpack and repack animations successfully) and due the the model cap being reaching in descr_model_battle.txt, I have been unsuccessful in doing so. We'll just have to wait for his full mod to be released. ;-)

Stuie's Avatar Laudir Agus Mir

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Camillus
    You won't believe what the final solution to the 66 BC crash seems to be, its just one small word in one text file that apparently the game engine needs to see near the end of the game, or it CTD's.
    Spill the beans!

Or PM me with it if you don't want to discuss it publically.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Stuie
    Spill the beans!

Or PM me with it if you don't want to discuss it publically.
    It used to be rank the unsolved mystery of the 21th Century....

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Yaka, i got 2 suggestions for your mod.

1. why not include bigger forts in your build? pardon me if this is not possible due to tech probs or something of that sort

2. give Parthians 10k starting money just like you gave it to Armenia, Pontus...
    Parthia MUST grow stronger than it currently does!

Ok, it was simply that the RTR developers eliminated the hidden resource "rome" from the descr_regions.txt and EDB files. Latium needs to have the hidden resource "rome". I found this out through experimentation and comparing differences between RTR files and the RTW files. After fixing this CTD and verifying through tests, I also found a post on the Guild concerning hard-coded limits for the EDB file. It states...
    export_descr_buildings.txt
    Hidden resources: Min 1?, max 63 or 64 (not sure which). Extras cause a CTD, not including rome causes a CTD (I think), not including italy prevents Marian reforms (I think). Experimentation, experimentation. But see here for a way to overcome the limitation.
    In bold text is what I found interesting. So, from my testing, it appears not having a "rome" hidden resource causes a CTD in the 215 year that a campaign has run. This would be the year 55 BC in a Vanilla RTW campaign, but since RTRPE starts 10 years earlier, in 280 BC, the CTD problem occurs around 65 BC. Vanilla RTW starts in 270 BC.

The reason some other mods my not have encountered this bug is that some do not last 215 years in length. Others, like SPQR mod and Terrae Expugnandae, have a hidden resource of "rome" listed in the descr_regions.txt file entry for Latium, and have a hidden resource of "rome" defined in the hidden resource list at the beginning of the EDB file.

Also note the hidden resource of "italy" is needed for the Marian Reforms. I imagine this hidden resource is needed for the building of an imperial palace in a region needs the hidden resource of "italy" also, so that it triggers the Marian Reforms event.
    Marcus Camillus

great stuff Marcus!
    thanks!

I was wondering why you added that hidden resource when I was playing with the 1.7 beta files!

Thanks for fixing this Marcus!

Maced0n's Avatar Domesticus

So the fix is to replace hidden resource home_rome with rome.

Quote Originally Posted by Maced0n
    So the fix is to replace hidden resource home_rome with rome.
    No no no, leave home_rome. Just add "rome" to the list.

Just be careful you don't go over 64 hidden resources, which I think is the max. I've tested this with my own mod, which has added numerous hidden resources, and it still works.

Note: hidden resource "unit_umbria" is not used by the game engine, it was added by the RTR team, but never used (they were going to add an umbrian cav unit, the texture and unit cards are still in the game files!) it. You can remove this hidden resource to make room for another if you wish.

Page 1 of 56 12345678910112651 ... LastLast