Thread: Napoleonic Realism (Stats)

Fat Guy in a Box's Avatar Libertus

Default Napoleonic Realism (Stats)

Hello,

I do not possess the skills to mod, otherwise I would. I'm looking for a few guys who may be able to help me mod the stats of Napoleon, and maybe some textures too. I want to change the stats to a 100% realistic level. Example being, vanilla musket range for line and elite infantry is currently at 80 with an accuracy varying on the unit anywhere from 25-55 vanilla. The change? Well, musket lethality was increased they closer they are to their target. On average, a musket is accurate up to 100 yards. I would add about 25-50 more yards to range to measure their lethality. Accuracy depended on distance, obviously, if it's a farther shot it would be less accurate. Example; At 100 yards, a musket could hit its target an average of 6-7 times. At 150 yards, let's use that range increase, it may go down to 4-5. Shots per minute? Totally dependent on the musket user. An average linemen could pump out 3-4 while NOT under pressure. However, since there is no way to scale the "under pressure" effect, I'd like to have them shoot already at an "under pressure" state. Maybe the ability to shoot 4-5 rounds a minute. This would be measured in the statistics through very careful observation and testing.

There's a LOT I want to do. I love this era of warfare, "The Napoleonic Wars." It's one of the most interesting times in warfare and revolutionized warfare as well. Tactics that had never before been seen, were used, etc. I'm willing to learn all about modding so in the future my aspiration of making this mod would be great and for everyone to enjoy. A team would be much more efficient as well.

Now, as for the models, that I know requires special software, that I would think is not free. I want to edit textures, add new units, re-texture nearly all the major factions to historically correct uniforms, change weapon sounds and smoke. Angles, arcs, and missile randomness (no heat-seeking muskets), etc.

If anyone can teach me how to do this, and help me to do this together, I think it would be absolutely great.

Thank you,

Kyle A. P.

A.K.A Fat Guy in a Box

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Napoleonic Realism (Stats)

Changing the stats is not very difficult using PFM, you can probably learn how to do it yourself.
    But you may not be able to do everything you want, like decrease accuracy with range: there are only a few parameters controlling that, and the system may not be flexible enough.

Editing textures is harder, but you don't need costly software for that. You can do it with PFM (to extract the textures from pack), and then with gimp (which is free).

Editing mesh is more difficult and requires software which are not completly free.

Before trying your own mod, you can also check some of the existing mods and see if you find something closer to what you want. If only to see what they change and learn from it.

Thanks for the reply Steph. I have checked other mods already which claim to be realistic. Unfortunately, they either contain huge unit sizes, weird gun sounds, terrible physics, etc. I tried looking at the PFM editor already, but couldn't figure out how to get it. Is "gimp" an editing software?

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Did you try Masters of Europe? I'd be interested by your feedback.
    PFM is what you need the most to edit the stats. However, it is more efficient to use it ony to open pack/create, extract tables, and export to tsv files, then edit these files with Excel, and then import back to the tables with PFM.
    Gimp is an image editor (similar to Photoshop). It's free and efficient for editing the textures files if you want to add details to the uniforms beyond simply switching colours around.

I'm guessing Masters of Europe is your mod? Or a friends'? I'll for sure try it out. Again, thanks for the reply. I'll try and figure out how to use this PFM...