Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quotes for loading screen

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Quotes for loading screen

At the moment the game sports the original quotes from RTW - if someone has some quotes from around the period and area of the game, feel free to list them here. Please include the author or a reference ("old wife's tale" etc ).

Default Re: Quotes for loading screen

Idea. Keep it Simple.
    I appreciate Sun Tzu is of a different era, but the principles are timeless and topical (Chinese)
    At first for simplicity, change majority of authorships to “Sun Tzu”, then sub authors to “The Art of War; Book I” ,or “The Art of War; Book II” etc”
    This will require only 13 different headers for now. Then cut paste from below where needed.
    Then you can go back at a later date and refine/fine tune with other topical quotes as uploaded. But ,hopefully, this will allow a sooner beta release, which in turn will generate interest, and with an “open workshop” principle people will be enthused to contribute.

Sun Tzu: The Art of War
    Book 1
    The art of war is of vital importance to the State. It is a matter of life and death, a road either to safety or to ruin.

All warfare is based on deception.

Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.

If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.
    Book II
    When you engage in actual fighting, if victory is long in coming, the men's weapons will grow dull and their ardour will be dampened.

Thus, though we have heard of stupid haste in war, cleverness has never been seen associated with long delays.

Bring war material with you from home, but forage on the enemy. Thus the army will have food enough for its needs.

Hence a wise general makes a point of foraging on the enemy. One cartload of the enemy's provisions is equivalent to twenty of one's own.

Therefore in chariot fighting, when ten or more chariots have been taken, those who took the first should be rewarded.

In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns.

Book III
    It is better to capture an army entire than to destroy it.

Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Therefore the skilful leader subdues the enemy's troops without any fighting; he captures their cities without laying siege to them.

It is the rule in war, if our forces are ten to the enemy's one; surround him. If five to one; attack him. If twice as numerous; divide him.

He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight.

He will win who knows how to handle both superior and inferior forces.

He will win whose army is animated by the same spirit throughout all its ranks.

He will win who, prepared himself, waits to take the enemy unprepared.

He will win who has military capacity and is not interfered with by the sovereign.

If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred
    battles.

Book IV

The good fighters of old first put themselves beyond the possibility of defeat, and then waited for an opportunity of defeating the enemy.

Security against defeat implies defensive tactics; ability to defeat the enemy means taking the offensive.

The general who is skilled in defence hides in the most secret recesses of the earth.

To see victory only when it is within the foresight of the common herd is not the pinnacle of excellence.

What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Hence the skilful fighter puts himself into a position which makes defeat impossible, and does not miss the moment for defeating the enemy.

In respect of military method, we have, firstly, Measurement; secondly, Estimation of quantity; thirdly, Calculation; fourthly, Balancing of Chances; fifthly, Victory.

The onrush of a conquering force is like the bursting of pent-up waters into a chasm a thousand fathoms deep.

Book V

The control of a large force is the same in principle as the control of a few men: it is merely a question of dividing up their numbers.

That the impact of your army may be like a grindstone dashed against an egg; this is effected by the science of weak points and strong.

In battle, there are not more than two methods of attack; the direct and the indirect; yet these two in combination give rise to an endless series of manœuvres.

The onset of troops is like the rush of a torrent which will even roll stones along in its course.

Energy may be likened to the bending of a crossbow; decision, to the releasing of the trigger.

Thus one who is skilful at keeping the enemy on the move maintains deceitful appearances, according to which the enemy will act.

The clever combatant looks to the effect of combined energy, and does not require too much from individuals.

Book VI

Whoever is first in the field and awaits the coming of the enemy, will be fresh for the fight; whoever is second in the field and has to hasten to battle, will arrive exhausted.

Therefore the clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him.

Appear at points which the enemy must hasten to defend; march swiftly to places where you are not expect.

An army may march great distances without distress, if it marches through country where the enemy is not.

Hence that general is skilful in attack whose opponent does not know what to defend; and he is skilful in defence whose opponent does not know what to attack.

O divine art of subtlety and secrecy! Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible, and hence we can hold the enemy's fate in our hands.

You may advance and be absolutely irresistible, if you make for the enemy's weak points; you may retire and be safe from pursuit if your movements are more rapid than those of the enemy.

By discovering the enemy's dispositions and remaining invisible ourselves, we can keep our forces concentrated, while the enemy's must be divided.

The spot where we intend to fight must not be made known; for then the enemy will have to prepare against a possible attack at several different points.

Knowing the place and the time of the coming battle, we may concentrate from the greatest distances in order to fight.

Carefully compare the opposing army with your own, so that you may know where strength is superabundant and where it is deficient.

In making tactical dispositions, the highest level you can attain is to conceal them; conceal your dispositions, and you will be safe from the prying of the subtlest spies, from the machinations of the wisest brains.

All men can see the tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved.

Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.

So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

Therefore, just as water retains no constant shape, so in warfare there are no constant conditions.
    Last edited by Voice of Treason; August 27, 2012 at 05:48 AM.

Book VII
    The difficulty of tactical manœuvring consists in turning the devious into the direct, and misfortune into gain.

Manœuvring with an army is advantageous; with an undisciplined multitude, most dangerous.

We are not fit to lead an army on the march unless we are familiar with the face of the country—its mountains and forests, its pitfalls and precipices, its marshes and swamps.

In war, practice dissimulation. and you will succeed. Move only if there is a real advantage to be gained.

Let your rapidity be that of the wind, your compactness that of the forest.

In raiding and plundering be like fire, in immovability like a mountain.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

When you plunder a countryside, let the spoil be divided amongst your men; when you capture new territory, cut it up into allotments for the benefit of the soldiery.

Ponder and deliberate before you make a move.

On the field of battle, the spoken word does not carry far enough: hence the institution of gongs and drums. Nor can ordinary objects be seen clearly enough: hence the institution of banners and flags.

The host thus forming a single united body, it is impossible either for the brave to advance alone, or for the cowardly to retreat alone.

In night-fighting, then, make much use of signal-fires and drums, and in fighting by day, of flags and banners, as a means of influencing the ears and eyes of your army.

A clever general, therefore, avoids an army when its spirit is keen, but attacks it when it is sluggish and inclined to return. This is the art of studying moods.

Disciplined and calm, to await the appearance of disorder and chaos amongst the enemy: this is the art of retaining self-possession.

To refrain from intercepting an enemy whose banners are in perfect order, to refrain from attacking an army drawn up in calm and confident array: this is the art of studying circumstances.

It is a military axiom not to advance uphill against the enemy, nor to oppose him when he comes downhill.

Do not pursue an enemy who simulates flight; do not attack soldiers whose temper is keen.

Do not swallow a bait offered by the enemy. Do not interfere with an army that is returning home.

When you surround an army, leave an outlet free. Do not press a desperate foe too hard.

Book VIII

Do not linger in dangerously isolated positions. In cornered situations, you must resort to stratagem. In a desperate position, you must fight.

There are roads which must not be followed, armies which must not be attacked, towns which must not be besieged, positions which must not be contested, commands of the sovereign which must not be obeyed.

The general who thoroughly understands the advantages that accompany variation of tactics knows how to handle his troops.

The student of war who is unversed in the art of varying his plans, even though he be acquainted with the Five Advantages, will fail to make the best use of his men.

If, on the other hand, in the midst of difficulties we are always ready to seize an advantage, we may extricate ourselves from misfortune.

There are five dangerous faults which may affect a general: recklessness, cowardice, a hasty temper, a delicacy of honour and over-anxiety for the men.

Book IX

Camp in high places, facing the sun. Do not climb heights in order to fight.

After crossing a river, you should get far away from it.

When an invading force crosses a river in its onward march, do not advance to meet it in mid-stream. It will be best to let half the army get across, and then deliver your attack.

In crossing salt-marshes, your sole concern should be to get over them quickly, without any delay.

In dry, level country, take up an easily accessible position with rising ground to your right and on your rear, so that the danger may be in front, and safety lie behind.
    All armies prefer high ground to low, and sunny places to dark.

When, in consequence of heavy rains up-country, a river which you wish to ford is swollen and flecked with foam, you must wait until it subsides.

When the enemy is close at hand and remains quiet, he is relying on the natural strength of his position.

If his place of encampment is easy of access, he is tendering a bait.

Movement amongst the trees of a forest shows that the enemy is advancing. The appearance of a number of screens in the midst of thick grass means that the enemy wants to make us suspicious.

The rising of birds in their flight is the sign of an ambush. Startled beasts indicate that a sudden attack is coming.

When there is dust rising in a high column, it is the sign of chariots advancing; when the dust is low, but spread over a wide area, it betokens the approach of infantry.

Humble words and increased preparations are signs that the enemy is about to advance.

Peace proposals unaccompanied by a sworn covenant indicate a plot.

When the soldiers stand leaning on their spears, they are faint from want of food.

If the enemy sees an advantage to be gained and makes no effort to secure it, the soldiers are exhausted.

The sight of men whispering together in small knots or speaking in subdued tones points to disaffection amongst the rank and file.

If the enemy's troops march up angrily and remain facing ours for a long time without either joining battle or taking themselves off again, the situation is one that demands great vigilance and circumspection.

Soldiers must be treated in the first instance with humanity, but kept under control by means of iron discipline. This is a certain road to victory.
    Last edited by Voice of Treason; August 27, 2012 at 06:56 AM.

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

“Zhuge Kongming is a slumbering dragon. Don’t you, my general, wish to see him?” - Xu Shu recommending Zhuge Liang to Liu Bei, Sanguozhi, Scroll 35 Shu 5

“The Han monarchy is ineffectual, wicked ministers have seized power and the emperor suffers in the elements. I have not made an appraisal of my own moral and material strength, but I wish to propagate the great righteousness throughout the Empire. However, I am short of wisdom, which is why I have suffered defeat and fallen to where I am today. Yet my ambition has not diminished. What strategy do you think I should employ?” - Liu Bei asking for Zhuge Liang's wisdom on their first meeting, Sanguozhi, Scroll 35 Shu 5

“Your ability is ten times that of Cao Pi and you will surely be able to maintain the state and complete the great undertaking. If the heir [Liu Shan] can be assisted, then assist him. If he lacks ability, then you may supplant him.” - Liu Bei blessing Zhuge Liang with control of the kingdom, Sanguozhi, Scroll 35 Shu 5

“Indeed he was a genius of the Empire!” - Sima Yi speaking of Zhuge Liang after his death, Sanguozhi, Scroll 35 Shu 5

"The First Sovereign was kind and generous and knew how to read and use peoples’ abilities well. He had the charisma of Gaozu (Liu Bang) and the qualities of a hero." - Chen Shou on Liu Bei, Sanguozhi, Biography of Liu Bei

"The safety of Xuzhou rests entirely with Liu Bei." - Tao Qian on his deathbed to Mi Zhu, Sanguozhi, Biography of Liu Bei

"For a man to do great things, he cannot neglect the common people. How can I just leave and desert them when they have followed and trusted me so far?" - Liu Bei to his followers prior to the Battle of Changban, Sanguozhi, Biography of Liu Bei

“You people have no reason to come and invade our lands. In our lands, there will only be headless generals and no surrendering generals.” - Yan Yan's reply to Zhang Fei's demand of surrender, Sanguozhi, Biography of Zhang Fei

“You kill excessively and often whip your soldiers. Beware that one day you would be in trouble with your subordinates.” - Liu Bei foreshadowing to Zhang Fei the cause of his death, Sanguozhi, Biography of Zhang Fei

“I am in full knowledge of the honor and privilege Cao Cao had shown me, however, General Liu [Liu Bei] had treated me well also, hence I swear to die with him and I will never betray him. I will not be staying here forever, but I will contribute a [sizeable] exploit first to repay Cao Cao’s favor first before I take my leave”. - Guan Yu's terms to Zhang Liao upon agreeing to serve Cao Cao, Sanguozhi, Biography of Guan Yu

“Each for his own master, hence do not give chase.” - Cao Cao instructing his subordinates not to pursue Guan Yu, Sanguozhi, Biography of Guan Yu

“Who can rival against Ma Chao in terms of ability?” - Guan Yu to Zhuge Liang, Sanguozhi, Biography of Guan Yu

“Ma Chao has the courage of the likes of Lü Bu and Han Xin, but he also has the heart of the Qiangs and the Huns. If he is to return with another army and there is inadequate defense, the various commanderies at Long Shang will definitely be lost.” - Yang Fu warning Cao Cao of Ma Chao, Sanguozhi, Biography of Ma Chao

“I used to have some two hundred members in my household but they were mostly killed by Mengde (Cao Cao), except for my younger cousin and follower Ma Dai. He is the only person left to continue the family line, hence I sincerely place him in your care and I will have no regrets.” - Ma Chao's deathbed petition to Liu Bei, Sanguozhi, Biography of Ma Chao

“Liu Bei is my brother. As you and your generals are now surrounding him, I have no choice but to save him. However, my personality is such that I do not like to involve myself in a fight. On the contrary, I always enjoy taking the role of a mediator to stop one.” - Lu Bu to Ji Ling, as the latter prepared to attack Liu Bei, Sanguozhi, Biography of Lu Bu

“Surely your Eminence has not forgotten about what happened to Ding Yuan and Dong Zhuo?” - Liu Bei's reminder to Cao Cao when deciding Lu Bu's fate, Sanguozhi, Biography of Lu Bu

“I’ve known that a ruler who administers his country based on the principle of filial piety would not kill the parents of his prisoner. I’ve also known that a benevolent ruler would not exterminate all the kin and decedents of his prisoner. The fate of my old mother lies not in my hands but yours.” - Chen Gong responding Cao Cao as to whether his family should be spared, Sanguozhi, Biography of Lu Bu

“Lu Bu, oh fool! Death is but death so why do you fear it?” - Zhang Liao to Lu Bu as the latter was led of to execution, Sangguo Yanyi, Biography of Lu Bu

“Quickly, go after them! This second battle will be a victory.” - Jia Xu's sound advice to Zhang Xiu in defeating Cao Cao, Sanguozhi, Biography of Jia Xu

“I was thinking of Yuan Benchu, Liu Jingsheng, and their sons.” - Jia Xu to Cao Cao on the matter of Cao Cao's own succession, Sanguozhi, Biography of Jia Xu

“If the army had succeeded, I could live. But now that the army has been defeated, I will probably die.” - Tian Feng after his counsel was not heeded by Yuan Shao, leading to a defeat by Cao Cao, Sanguozhi, Biography of Yuan Shao

“This is a time to accept heroes into our camp. To kill one person would be to lose the hearts of All Under Heaven. We cannot.” - Cao Cao rebuking Cheng Yu's suggestion to kill Liu Bei, Sanguozhi, Biography of Cao Cao

“You man-eating traitors, how dare you take hostage of a general. Do you still hope to walk out of this alive?" - Han Hao to the rebels holding Xiahou Dun hostage, Sanguozhi, Biography of Xiahou Dun

“What a pity that this heaven sent opportunity should be squandered but for the illness of a child.” - Tian Feng on Yuan Shao's refusal to attack Liu Bei, Sanguozhi, Biography of Yuan Shao

“The enemy’s siege is tight, and everyone has said it would be an impossible task. Even though you have a courageous spirit, this would probably be too difficult to do.” - Kong Rong to Taishi Ci on lifting the siege of Bei Hai, Sanguozhi, Biography of Taishi Ci

"If I go with everyone else’s opinion and consider this task impossible, wouldn’t I then be unworthy of your kindness, and a disappointment to my mother’s wishes? There is not much time left, sir. Do not hesitate any more!” - Taishi Ci to Kong Rong on lifting the siege of Bei Hai, Sanguozhi, Biography of Taishi Ci

“A man born into this world should bear a seven-span sword and ascend into the halls of the emperor. My ambition has not been fulfilled yet, why must death come?” - Taishi Ci on his deathbed, Sanguozhi, Biography of Taishi Ci

“The Duke has a Tiger Marquis, where is he?” - Ma Chao asking Cao Cao about Xu Chu, Sanguozhi, Biography of Xu Chu

“Ma Su is not as talented as he seems, do not over use him, give him more observation.” - Liu Bei's assessment of Ma Su to Zhuge Liang, Sanguozhi, Biography of Ma Su

“Learning the cultures and reading talent, I cannot compare with you. However, if it was about affairs of Kings and Emperors, then you cannot compare with me." - Pang Tong to Gu Shao, Sanguozhi, Biography of Pang Tong

"Cao Cao is different to me like fire and water. Cao Cao is mean, I am generous. Cao Cao is violent, I am kind. Cao Cao is deceitful, I am loyal. Since I am the opposite of Cao Cao in everything, then the affair may be successful." - Liu Bei to Pang Tong on uniting the empire, Sanguozhi, Biography of Pang Tong

“You are well acquainted with the laws of the House of Wei, and you know very well what kind of man I am. I have received much grace from the state and my house is important. There is nothing you can say, I have only to die. Return and thank Zhuge Liang for me, he may launch his attack.” - Hao Zhao responding to Zhuge Liang's demand for surrender, Sanguozhi, Biography of Cao Rui

“Guan Yu’s known for his military prowess and has been a difficult enemy. Since he has been in charge of Jing Province, he has been benevolent towards the people. Furthermore, morale is high on his side due to his recent victories. It may not be so easy to defeat him.” - Lu Meng speaking with Lu Xun about Guan Yu, Sanguozhi, Biography of Lu Xun

“Dong Zhuo has already reached the extreme in tyranny and thus is bound to end violently. There is nothing much he can do now.” - Xun Yu's opinion of Dong Zhuo, Sanguozhi, Biography of Xun Yu

“Sir, you are in charge of this whole province. Should you go, your life would be endangered. Do not go.” - Xiahou Dun urging Xun Yu not to meet with Guo Gong, Sanguozhi, Biography of Xun Yu

“I wish to attack this insolent man, but I am not strong enough. What should be done?” - Cao Cao asking Xun Yu for advice on attacking Yuan Shao, Sanguozhi, Biography of Xun Yu

"With 100,000 troops under your control, how can you, General, just sit back and watch the outcome of the conflict without doing anything?" - Liu Biao's vassals compelling him to fight, Sanguozhi, Biography of Liu Biao

“What is wrong with defending this land, enterprise of my late father, while observing how the situations around us unfold?” - Liu Zong questioning calls from his vassals to surrender, Sanguozhi, Biography of Liu Biao

“The world can do without Cao Hong, but not without you!” - Cao Hong bidding Cao Cao to take his horse to escape, Sanguozhi, Biography of Cao Hong

“When one besieges a city he must show its inhabitants a way out, give them a chance to preserve their lives. But now, your excellency has told them that they will surely be killed, and so both soldier and civilian will defend the city with their lives." - Cao Ren to Cao Cao upon besieging Hu Pass, Sanguozhi, Biography of Cao Ren

“The enemy is strong, and it would be futile to fight them now. How bad can it be, to lose a few hundred men, compared to putting yourself in risk in battle?” - Chen Qiao trying to dissuade Cao Ren from rescuing Niu Jin, Sanguozhi, Biography of Cao Ren

"With important affairs unsettled and the house of Han being weak, I thought it would be better to praise Li Yan, instead of blaming him on his faults. I thought Li Yan was merely more focused on his own merits and benefits, but I had no idea that his mind was so twisted." - Zhuge Liang speaking of Li Yan to Liu Shan, Sanguozhi, Biography of Li Yan

“Your old vassal cannot serve two lords." - Zhang Ren refusing Liu Bei's call of surrender, Sanguozhi, Biography of Liu Bei

“I have received the bounty of the state. Under righteousness I should die for the state, thus repaying the debt. I desire to personally attack Guan Yu. This year if I don’t kill this Guan Yu, then he shall kill me.” - Pang De in response to questions of his loyalty, Sanguozhi, Biography of Pang De

“My Lord’s military power is divine, his virtue spans the four corners of the world, those who submit first will be be given great rewards.” - Zhang Liao enticing Chang Xi to surrender, Sanguozhi, Biography of Zhang Liao

“Climbing heaven’s mountains, overcoming its dangers, taking Chen Lan, and Mei Cheng - that is the accomplishment of the General who Vanquishes Bandits.” - Cao Cao addressing Zhang Liao's merits, Sanguozhi, Biography of Zhang Liao

“Though Zhang Liao is still sick, nothing stops him, be cautious!” - Sun Quan warning his generals before the Battle of Hailing, Sanguozhi, Biography of Zhang Liao

"Yan Baihu and his confederates are a band of bandits and have no great aspiration. This time I will surely capture him!" - Sun Ce before his campaign against Wujun, Sanguozhi, Scroll 46 Wu 1
    Last edited by Seether; October 05, 2012 at 06:10 AM.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Book X
    We may distinguish six kinds of terrain, namely, accessible ground; entangling ground; temporising ground; narrow passes; precipitous heights; and positions at a great distance from the enemy.

With regard to narrow passes, if you can occupy them first, let them be strongly garrisoned and await the advent of the enemy.

With regard to precipitous heights, if you are there before your adversary, you should occupy the raised and sunny spots, and there wait for him to advance.

When the common soldiers are too strong and their officers too weak, the result is insubordination.

When the general is weak and without authority; when his orders are not clear and distinct; when there are no fixed duties assigned to officers and men and the ranks are formed in a slovenly manner, the result is utter disorganisation.

If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight, even though the ruler forbid it; if fighting will not result in victory, then you must not fight even at the ruler's bidding.

The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom.

Hence the saying: If you know the enemy and know yourself, your victory will not stand in doubt: If you know Heaven and know Earth, you may make your victory complete.

Book XI

The art of war recognizes nine varieties of ground: dispersive ground, frontier ground; contentious ground; open ground; ground of intersecting highways; serious ground; difficult ground; encircled ground and desperate ground.

Those who were called skilful leaders of old knew how to drive a wedge between the enemy's front and rear; to prevent co-operation between his large and small divisions; to hinder the good troops from rescuing the bad, the officers from rallying their men.

If asked how to cope with a great host of the enemy in orderly array and on the point of marching to the attack, I should say: "Begin by seizing something which your opponent holds dear; then he will be amenable to your will."

Rapidity is the essence of war: Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots.

Carefully study the well-being of your men, and do not overtax them. Concentrate your energy and hoard your strength. Keep your army continually on the move and devise unfathomable plans.

Soldiers when in desperate straits lose the sense of fear. If there is no place of refuge, they will stand firm.

Prohibit the taking of omens, and do away with superstitious doubts. Then, until death itself comes, no calamity need be feared.

The principle on which to manage an army is to set up one standard of courage which all must reach.

At the critical moment, the leader of an army acts like one who has climbed up a height and then kicks away the ladder behind him. He carries his men deep into hostile territory before he shows his hand.

It is the soldier's disposition to offer an obstinate resistance when surrounded, to fight hard when he cannot help himself, and to obey promptly when he has fallen into danger.

When a warlike prince attacks a powerful state, his generalship shows itself in preventing the concentration of the enemy's forces. He overawes his opponents, and their allies are prevented from joining against him.

Bestow rewards without regard to rule, issue orders without regard to previous arrangements and you will be able to handle a whole army as though you had to do with but a single man.

On the day that you take up your command, block the frontier passes, destroy the official tallies, and stop the passage of all emissaries either to or from the enemy's country.

Book XII

In order to carry out an attack with fire, we must have means available. The material for raising fire should always be kept in readiness.

If there is an outbreak of fire in the enemy’s camp, but the enemy's soldiers remain quiet, bide your time and do not attack.

When you start an attack with fire, be windward of it. Do not attack from the leeward side.

Unhappy is the fate of one who tries to win his battles and succeed in his attacks without cultivating the spirit of enterprise; for the result is waste of time and general stagnation.

If it is to your advantage, make a forward move if not, stay where you are.

A kingdom that has once been destroyed can never come again into being; nor can the dead ever be brought back to life.. Hence the enlightened ruler is heedful, and the good general full of caution.

Book XIII

What enables the wise sovereign and the good general to strike and conquer, and achieve things beyond the reach of ordinary men, is foreknowledge.

When the five kinds of spy are all at work, none can discover the secret system. This is called "divine manipulation of the threads." It is the sovereign's most precious faculty.

Be subtle! be subtle! and use your spies for every kind of business!

Spies are a most important element in war, because on them depends an army's ability to move.
    Last edited by Voice of Treason; August 27, 2012 at 06:53 AM.

It looks great but can you also leave something for others to say
    One of the three, a name split in two, one part is not here, the other is my account name.
    I am the beginning and end of all beings, of all life
    My breath is pure and live giving, Yin and yang were mine.
    The jade emperor was my apprentice, Now i am retired, leaving the rule of the world in his hands.

Who am i?

-Tianzong-

Blog Entries

What about me? I have to decide which ones to use.

Excellent input, I was thinking to use about 120 quotes, so don't go slack!

Please keep in mind that the loading screen is not up for a long time - players will have problems to read lengthy text. The examples underneath are good:

Zhuge Kongming is a slumbering dragon. Don’t you, my general, wish to see him?
    Xu Shu recommending Zhuge Liang to Liu Bei, Sanguozhi, Scroll 35 Shu 5

Do not swallow a bait offered by the enemy. Do not interfere with an army that is returning home.
    Sun Tzu: The Art of War - Book 1
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 27, 2012 at 08:37 AM.

yuezhi's Avatar Senator

"those who do not read are no better than those who cannot."
    --chinese proverb

got this out of an old scheduler in my little school days. it fits china's scholarly reputation.
    all hail the flying spaghetti monster!

i remember me something with these words "the Cao (not cao cao) path" or something i only forgot what it was exactly.
    One of the three, a name split in two, one part is not here, the other is my account name.
    The jade emperor was my apprentice, Now i am retired, leaving the rule of the world in his hands.

Who am i?

-Tianzong-

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

"The cautious seldom err."-Confucius

"We are father and son in home, but we are supervisor and subordinate when assigned a task" Cao Cao to Cao Zhang Records of the Three Kingdoms

"If an enemy has alliances, the problem is grave and the enemy's position strong; if he has no alliances, the problem is minor and the enemy's position weak." The Art Of War
    Last edited by The Khanate; August 28, 2012 at 10:09 AM.

Centenarius
    American president, Spanish conquistador, Italian cartographer

"I would rather betray the world than have the world betray me." Cao Cao to Chen Gong, Romance of the Three Kingdoms (I think)

Quote Originally Posted by firey5 View Post
    "I would rather betray the world than have the world betray me." Cao Cao to Chen Gong, Romance of the Three Kingdoms (I think)
    Liu Bei: Doesn't Cao Cao have that famous saying?
    Liu Bei: He said, "I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me."
    Liu Bei: I have a saying too.
    Liu Bei: "I'd rather the world betray me, but I won't betray the world."

Wei:
    "So, my father really is a true warrior of the Three Kingdoms."
    -Cao Pi in reference to his father, Cao Cao

"If you believe in victory, it will be realized!"
    -Cao Pi

"Hmm, so the destiny of the land does lie with the people..."
    -Cao Pi
    ------------
    "Never do an evil act just because it is trivial; never leave a good act undone just because it's small."
    -Liu Bei

"I'm just a strange man who likes to tinker with inventions. Please marry me."
    Zhuge Liang

"He who wins people, prospers; he who loses them, fails. Your present plan should be to seek humans of high aims and farseeing views, and you can establish yourself firmly."

"It's me, Smeagol."
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot will be victorious"
    -Sun Tzu (vanilla rome total war quote)
    "Danger is greatest when you underestimate your opponent"
    -Dao De Jing
    Last edited by tianzong; October 05, 2012 at 12:49 PM.

Who am i?

-Tianzong-

"Among men: Lu Bu. Among horses: Red Hare." - Unknown

"We three [...] swear brotherhood, and promise mutual help to one end. [...] We ask not the same day of birth, but we seek to die together." - Liu Bei, Guan Yu, and Zhang Fei

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die." - Sima Yi

"And so, in one conversation, Zhuge Liang proved that he, who had lived in complete retirement all his life, knew and foresaw the tripod division into which the empire was to break." - Three Kingdoms, Chapter 38

"Speak of Cao Cao, ______" forgot how it ended.

DizzyRainbow's Avatar Libertus

Wasn't it "speak of cao cao and cao cao will come"?

Centenarius
    American president, Spanish conquistador, Italian cartographer

Blog Entries

Nice link, will see how to utilize it - Chinese characters may not display well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast