Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Katana and Yari mixed unit fighting animations

Default Katana and Yari mixed unit fighting animations

This mod is primarily to give people a chance to look at some new animation tables I've been working on. This was originally meant for the Sekigahara mod, but I figure people who want to add this into their own game would benefit from a general release. As such, most of the info in this thread will just be copy pasted from the thread in the Sekigahara forums.

Basically, a cav unit using these animations will charge with their yari, and then engage foot troops when in close quarters with either their katana or yari. When cavalry with these animations fight other cavalry, they sometimes use their katanas, and sometimes use their yaris. Foot units / dismounted cavalry units using these animations will behave the same way, with a variety of animations to choose from to dispatch a foe, using both their yari or their katana! In order for the user to see these animations without any hassle (assuming they are running the vanilla shogun game), I have made Samurai Defenders, Normal Katana Samurai, Yari Cavalry, and ROTS Naginata Cavalry use these animations, so just drop into the data folder and load up a custom battle!

Screenshots!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

These screenshots don't really capture the squad using both weapons, but rest assured, it's not just like the yari ashigaru. They WILL use both their yaris and katanas. On top of that, the yari ashigaru has a very small amount of katana animations compared to katana samurai. This will include many of the animations reserved only for katana samurai.

To use this on any other unit, make sure their warscape includes a spear weapon (naginatas work), and katana as the side arm. Change the animations to shogun_man_katri AND the horse_3 category to shogun_mount_horse_katri [ONLY NEEDED FOR MOUNTED UNITS!]. Change the officer to officer_katri (you may change the equipment the officer uses in the battle_personalities db). Do NOT forget the horse_3 column, or the horse and rider WILL be desynced and it will look weird, same for the officer part!

Note to modders. If you want to use these custom animations do so. Just credit me if you feel like it (hopefully you feel like it), because it took me awhile to figure out how to get the horse and riders to sync up instead of acting weird as hell (as in rider floating 5 meters away while the horse disappears, etc.). Also if you guys want to know how to make proper battleconfigs for cavalry, let me know and maybe I'll make a tutorial. But if you just analyze the battle configs, it should be self explainable. Also if anything like this has come out before, I wasn't aware of it so my bad.
    Also you need to add both the entry in the animation_table for shogun_man_katri, AND the one for shogun_mount_katri, AND the various battle configs (katri_combat, katri_horse, katri_rider... or something like that :p)

Download in attachments.

Questions? Comments? Bugs? Report here.
    Last edited by Lokgar; August 25, 2012 at 04:10 PM.

Default Re: Katana and Yari mixed unit fighting animations

I take it people are getting this to work?

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Will test this, Lotkar. Thanks for releasing it to the general public, as I'm sure interested in it.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    Will test this, Lotkar. Thanks for releasing it to the general public, as I'm sure interested in it.
    Well, the Seki Submod was always open to the public, but I realized people who like the vanilla game might like this / other modders might want to use it too. Especially since I get sort of annoyed with how Yari Samurai have their sword on their belt but never use it!

Also e-high five.

This will be great for my bayonet mod, I hope!

I'll edit the config a little bit, if you want me to, because most of the defend animations and kill animations I chose for the yari are medium to long length ones, I think more short (simple stabby stab stab) would be more suited for bayonets!

-edit- ACtually, I don't think it would work. This requires a Katana to be equipped as the secondary weapon in the warscape, your bayonet mod has the rifle in both.
    Last edited by Lokgar; August 29, 2012 at 07:46 PM.

Ah, darn. So it's gotta be pure melee.

Thanks for the reply!

However, I noticed that the newest version of PFM can't open the unit_stats_land in your mod. funny.

Hmm weird, I think I never updated past 2.1.2 or is it 2.2 :p, I can't remember. Well, the mod will work, but units will be swinging invisible swords around . There has to be a way to get it to work though... perhaps trying to attach a shogun_katana to the instrument or one of the other slots?

I'll have to look for an older version of PFM first before I can test that.... hahaha

Try opening the battle personalities db and then disable combobox cells before trying to open unit_stats_land

Sorry, it's not working....

It won't open in PFM, or this mod-as is won't work with the units? I personally use the one I have for seki so I haven't tested this one too much (just a quick custom battle).

It won't open with PFM. Maybe I can adapt the one in Seki....\

Edit: Nevermind, red columns there too.

Edit2 : Nevermind apparently the latest PFM release is having some technical issues...
    Last edited by IGdood; September 01, 2012 at 03:05 AM.

Oh yeah, if any other mods are around that modify the animation tables, you need to either make a new animation table that includes all of them, or change the name of my pack so its at the bottom of the data folder, so my animation table will over-ride the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokgar View Post
    Oh yeah, if any other mods are around that modify the animation tables, you need to either make a new animation table that includes all of them, or change the name of my pack so its at the bottom of the data folder, so my animation table will over-ride the others.

Thanks, I've dealt with animations tables before but thanks for reminding me.

Meanwhile, while I wait for Daniu to fix up PFM, can you tell me what you meant when you posted that the yari ashigaru have fewer animations than samurai? I thought all sword units (or sword-animation using units) just shared the same set of animations? Although...now that I think about it, it seems that some units use more flashier techniques (heroes, ninjas...)

Yari Ashigaru use a specific battleconfig called yari_pike_combat, this is simply a config that makes it so they use spears vs horses, and swords vs men. However, this config has a lot of medium and long animations missing, but these animations are found in just katana_combat_fragment, which include the long duels and long killing animations. I think ninja katana animations use the same as samurai... I'd have to double check it.

Basically, the ashigaru just use the simple animations without much flashiness.

Attached the extracted animation tables and battle configs so you can just place them in your own pack, and then edit unit_stats yourself, if it works that way.
    Last edited by Lokgar; September 02, 2012 at 04:20 PM.

I see. Thanks!

Shameless bump now that the modding tools are out, I'm hoping more people can use this to create their own custom battle configs!

MagicCuboid's Avatar Biarchus

I'm going to give this a shot! It sounds very interesting. Question though - are yari samurai still able to hold formation in spearwall, etc?

Also, the stats don't change right? Just the animations?
    "I've snapped and plotted all my life. There's no other way to be alive, king, and fifty all at once." - Henry II, The Lion in Winter

Uh, I can't remember about the stats for this release. It was mostly to get people to dissect it for their own mods. Also yes they can, the animations have the pike / spearwall in there too. Although, IIRC vanilla Yari Samurai don't have spearwall?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast