Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Dr" Kent Hovind arrested

Default Re: "Dr" Kent Hovind arrested

One could go blue in the face listing reasons why his challenge is obviously rigged, such as the fact that we're supposed to prove that the universe came into being through evolution (evolution has absolutely nothing to do with the formation of the universe, the solar system, or even the Earth), or the fact that we must prove that any other explanation is impossible rather than merely being completely useless, unscientific, or unfounded.
    Actually there could possibly be a loophole in it. Since he only asks about the universe, you don't have to justify anything before it that could cause it to spontaneously come into being.
    When he says 'natural processes,' one could reasonably equate these processes to theoretical mathematics derived from empirical observation. And, since he is talking only about THIS universe, just say that naturally existing, therefore previously existing, mathematics called for a set amount of matter/energy in the universe, which spontaneously came forth to meet the demand in order to create equilibrium.

OR you could say that THIS particular universe is just a copy of another previously existing universe which was a copy of a previously existing universe etc.
    Given any number of random, even contradictory metaphysical postulates, a justification, however absurd, can be logically developed.

Mapping advances anybody can use. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39035

Sam's Avatar Civitate

Here are a few snippets of Hovind's wisdom:
    - The Smithsonian Institute has 33,000 sets of human remains in their basement ... Many of them were taken while the people were still alive. They were so desperate to find missing links, so desperate to prove their theory that they murdered people to prove it. It was the philosophy of evolution that drove them (Hovind's book "Unmasking the False Religion of Evolution", Ch 4). Sic
    - The Trail of Tears was where the Cherokee Indians were driven out of the Chattanooga area all the way to Oklahoma. ... Evolution is responsible for what happened to the Indians. How any Indian can believe in evolution just blows my mind. ... [T]he evolution theory is what destroyed them (Hovind's book "Unmasking the False Religion of Evolution", Ch 4). That happened about 20 years before Darwin's "Origin of Species" was published, by the way.
    - Hovind disregards all fossil evidence, claiming "no fossils can count as evidence for evolution," because "all we know about that animal is that it died," and we do not know that it "had any kids". That's from the wiki. What about fossilized hatched egg clutches, :wub:?

If you're still not convinced that he is clinically insane (unlikely), Hovind believes "UFOs are apparitions of Satan" and that the US government possesses UFOs, he believes that the Loch Ness monster exists and is proof that dinosaurs exist today, he believes that there are serious health risks associated with immunization, that the US government was behind the 9/11 attacks, and various other conspiracy theories.

Well, rage dump over, all I can say now is it's good to finally see him getting what he deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by bdh
    Actually there could possibly be a loophole in it. Since he only asks about the universe, you don't have to justify anything before it that could cause it to spontaneously come into being.
    When he says 'natural processes,' one could reasonably equate these processes to theoretical mathematics derived from empirical observation. And, since he is talking only about THIS universe, just say that naturally existing, therefore previously existing, mathematics called for a set amount of matter/energy in the universe, which spontaneously came forth to meet the demand in order to create equilibrium.

OR you could say that THIS particular universe is just a copy of another previously existing universe which was a copy of a previously existing universe etc.
    Unfortunately it doesn't matter what you say to him. The way he says he validates challenges is to pass them on to an unnamed 'committee' with unknown credentials, they assess the paper, and decide whether it meets the criteria.
    What this means in Hovind-speak is you send him the paper, he deletes it, then tells you some crap like "I'll pass it on if you want but they will just laugh", weeks pass, nothing happens, and you don't hear from him again.
    The money that is promised has never been proven to exist either, IIRC, he says a 'rich friend' will pay for it should the criteria be met.

EDIT: You can read a bunch of challenges here.
    "A voice, in my dream, spoke to me from a fountain of light and racial purity:" - DrakKassleron

"I was tortured by evil terrorists working for Saddam's evil regime when I was only five years old." - DrakKassleron

"When I imagine Drak, I imagine an axe murderer who has yet to find his axe." - RusskiSoldat

Unfortunately it doesn't matter what you say to him. The way he says he validates challenges is to pass them on to an unnamed 'committee' with unknown credentials, they assess the paper, and decide whether it meets the criteria.
    What this means in Hovind-speak is you send him the paper, he deletes it, then tells you some crap like "I'll pass it on if you want but they will just laugh", weeks pass, nothing happens, and you don't hear from him again.
    The money that is promised has never been proven to exist either, IIRC, he says a 'rich friend' will pay for it should the criteria be met.
    Well then, I will just have to go see him and change is mind. Since he is going to be conveniently incarcerated, I see no reason why I, and a team of witnesses/experts, could go down there, make up a vaguely valid justification, and then sue him in order to get our $250,000. Since he is a criminal, we will probably win the case anyway and waltz away with the cash or what little else he has left after the IRS is done with him.
    Given any number of random, even contradictory metaphysical postulates, a justification, however absurd, can be logically developed.

Mapping advances anybody can use. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39035

Sam's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by bdh
    Well then, I will just have to go see him and change is mind. Since he is going to be conveniently incarcerated, I see no reason why I, and a team of witnesses/experts, could go down there, make up a vaguely valid justification, and then sue him in order to get our $250,000. Since he is a criminal, we will probably win the case anyway and waltz away with the cash or what little else he has left after the IRS is done with him.
    I wonder if we could pile some other charges on him, like intentionally misrepresenting the field of his diploma?
    Under Florida state law, Hovind can only use his title if he "clearly identifies the religious character of the educational program". However, as evidenced on his webpage and videos/DVDs he does not.
    "A voice, in my dream, spoke to me from a fountain of light and racial purity:" - DrakKassleron

"I was tortured by evil terrorists working for Saddam's evil regime when I was only five years old." - DrakKassleron

"When I imagine Drak, I imagine an axe murderer who has yet to find his axe." - RusskiSoldat

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Good riddance I say.
    People like him makes my skin crawl.
    And what is worst is that there are people out there that believe him.

I Have a Clever Name's Avatar Clever User Title
    I have no absolute knowledge of where I live, much is based on trust and cartography.

To make a long story short, he believes that dinosaurs lived recently and coexisted with man, as in "The Flintstones". Hence, he called himself "Dr Dino".
    So, let me get this straight, this guy seriously believes that every single creature ever present in the fossil record existed at the same time in accordance with Genesis? The extent to which some people go to make material evidence compatible their ancient scribblings is mind boggling.

"Truth springs from argument amongst friends." - Hume.
    Under the brutal, harsh and demanding patronage of Nihil.

You don't have the death penalty for tax evasion in US. That's a pity. Poor people, who are far more likely to become murderers, get executed for their crimes (which at least provide some entertainment value for the public by feeding 'true crime' TV and books, and by inspiring crime/cop fiction), while rich people, who are far more likely to commit snivelling offences like tax evasion, get away with a few years inside. He'll be out on parole in no time at all, or just get a fine. This grovelling maggot doesn't have the dignity to carry his criminal projects to their extremes and go out in a blaze of glory, taking the IRS investigators with him in an epic gun-battle that would send him screaming to his God to face the final analysis of his Creationist theories (and God would, undoubtedly, sentence him to eat urinal-soap-cakes for all eternity as a punishment for having assailed the rest of humanity with his lies).
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

Corvus's Avatar Laetus

That has besides the unpleasant potential of making him a martyr. Besides, urinal cakes? I'm sure the Omniscient would have a better imagination. He seems to have tastes running towards the classic fire and brimstone.

Senator

LOL. This doesn't suprise me at all. I watched a couple of his videos, and went through his site, and he is just stupid. His logic was so bad it suprised me when I was 13 years old. Please don't think EVERY intelligent design proponent is a stupid as he is.

"Where is the horse and his rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains"

There are two things in life about which we should never grumble: the first, that which we cannot change; and second, that which we can change.

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

I remeber watching one of his shows on TV once. What a :wub:. I can't wait for them to send his ass to prison.
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Hehe, doesn't Al Capone feel like a tard now, getting sent to prison for the same crap as this guy!

Dr hovind looks a bit like Ron Howard with downs syndrome. Wiki says the guy is facing 58 seperate charges...wow, what a badass.

He litterally did not practice what he preached
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    -Mark Twain

Trey's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Last Roman
    He litterally did not practice what he preached
    Dun dum CHSSSS!
    for-profit death machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey
    Dun dum CHSSSS!
    and that's all for tonight, you've been a great crowd!
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Sam
    Here are a few snippets of Hovind's wisdom:

- The Trail of Tears was where the Cherokee Indians were driven out of the Chattanooga area all the way to Oklahoma. ... Evolution is responsible for what happened to the Indians. How any Indian can believe in evolution just blows my mind. ... [T]he evolution theory is what destroyed them (Hovind's book "Unmasking the False Religion of Evolution", Ch 4). That happened about 20 years before Darwin's "Origin of Species" was published, by the way.
    - Hovind disregards all fossil evidence, claiming "no fossils can count as evidence for evolution," because "all we know about that animal is that it died," and we do not know that it "had any kids". That's from the wiki. What about fossilized hatched egg clutches, :wub:?

If you're still not convinced that he is clinically insane (unlikely), Hovind believes "UFOs are apparitions of Satan" and that the US government possesses UFOs, he believes that the Loch Ness monster exists and is proof that dinosaurs exist today, he believes that there are serious health risks associated with immunization, that the US government was behind the 9/11 attacks, and various other conspiracy theories.

Well, rage dump over, all I can say now is it's good to finally see him getting what he deserves.

EDIT: You can read a bunch of challenges here.

that is the most hilarious thing i have read all day, the onion had no new content on, the thing about the cherokee indians makes no sense whatsoever, what does evolution ahve to do wiht them, anyway he tried to get out of taxes by saying that it was "gods money" that is just hilarious. :tooth:

Sam's Avatar Civitate

Update: Hovind's up to his old tricks again.
    Update 2: Hovind pleads not guilty.
    A Pensacola evangelist facing federal charges that include tax evasion is asking the government to lift pretrial travel restrictions, saying they violate his freedom of religion.
    His travel restrctions were placed because there were strong suspicions that, in South Africa, where he claimed to have an arrangement to preach to 'thousands and thousands', he would be spirited away to escape the law. Fair enough, I reckon.

Of course, now he's claiming all sorts of crap to lift the restrictions. He clearly thinks he's above the law.
    Even more amusing, he is feigning ignorance to smurfing almost half a million dollars out of an AmSouth bank account. That just ain't possible.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

or years, he has claimed that he is employed by God and has no income or property because everything he owns belongs to God.
    If he gets away with this then I will lose all faith in american justice system.

If he gets away with that I may just become a devout Christian.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by TB666
    If he gets away with this then I will lose all faith in american justice system.
    Well as big as an idiot he is even they deserves the innocent until proven guilty thing since being a moron doesnt automatically mean someone is also a crook. Loved the monkeys not having human babies thing, had me laughing because so utterly insane and stupid that I cant imagine another human being using that type of logic and seriously. Ali G accusing him of not flushing god haha.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast