Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A little note for those that create AAR's...

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: A little note for those that create AAR's...

Quote Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
    Yep, that's the article I was referring to

I agree with the fact that writing a full AAR takes weeks, if not months, 'cause you have to actually finish the campaign .. I think most of us do not have 6/8 hours per day to play TATW, unfortunately.

anyway I will try to do one, still waiting to know which prog is suggested for taking screenshots.

ciao

Flinn

FC Groningen's Avatar Senator

Try "Fraps". The free version allows you to take screenshots in bmp format, but if you use paint afterwards, you can convert it into a more suitable/smaller format like jpg. You get some random number at the top left screen while you play, but you start to ignore that very soon.

FC Groningen's Avatar Senator

Yeah, that's what I meant by the mid-game end. You are absolutely correct on that. Enthusiasm goes exactly the other way than complexity: the first goes down, the second goes up, and by mid-game it reaches a quit point for many. Then there is the problem of writing a good (not boring but not raping) plot in a such heavily lore-determined game.
    Might be just my vision on this, but maybe "boring" is actually better. The ones I'm working on are mostly a summary of all my actions during a turn and battles, which makes it easier to describe complete turns, although some readers might find the content wanting. Yet, I do cover everything I did to a high detail. Biggest pain in the ass is adding all screenshots into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Denethor II View Post
    Yeah, starting an AAR is easy, but finishing one is hard. And of course a lot of work. I am not even close to being done and I am already noticing how hard it is. And yet, I already have plans for my next AAR.
    That's exactly how I did it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Yep, that's the article I was referring to

I agree with the fact that writing a full AAR takes weeks, if not months, 'cause you have to actually finish the campaign .. I think most of us do not have 6/8 hours per day to play TATW, unfortunately.

anyway I will try to do one, still waiting to know which prog is suggested for taking screenshots.

ciao

Flinn
    It can take a long time for sure. I wrote my Kievan AAR for more than a year. Of course it was largely because I had limited time to play AND write AND craft the screenshots besides my job and family. I could only manage an update in every 8-10 days, and that was very taxing. It was like "should I play today, or write, or fire up Photoshop?".

Quote Originally Posted by FC Groningen View Post
    Might be just my vision on this, but maybe "boring" is actually better. The ones I'm working on are mostly a summary of all my actions during a turn and battles, which makes it easier to describe complete turns, although some readers might find the content wanting. Yet, I do cover everything I did to a high detail. Biggest pain in the ass is adding all screenshots into it.
    I think there is a difference. Campaign walkthrough style AARs are not boring by any means because they do not aim to give a detailed plot with dialogs and whatnot. The problem comes when somebody launches an ambitious plot and then finds himself severely constrained by the lore. Even the medieval-style factions (Gondor, Rohan, Dale, Eriador) where there could be some freedom for plotting could easily walk into this trap. So it's just difficult to find a good plot in Middle Earth I guess.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FC Groningen View Post
    Try "Fraps". The free version allows you to take screenshots in bmp format, but if you use paint afterwards, you can convert it into a more suitable/smaller format like jpg. You get some random number at the top left screen while you play, but you start to ignore that very soon.
    Thanks, I will try to do something during holydays, if the world will not end tomorrow

Ciao

Flinn

Bowmaster's Avatar Biarchus

Campaign walkthrough style AARs are not boring
    I must disagree with you. Every time I have read an AAR which is truly is an AAR, an After-Action Report, I find it very boring. But lore-ish AAR:s are intriguing and rewarding. Just check out The Rise Of The Northmen!
    (yeah, yeah, I'm fin player of TATW 3.2...

In Memoriam: Blackomur89

Save MERP and TATW!

Quote Originally Posted by Bowmaster View Post
    I must disagree with you. Every time I have read an AAR which is truly is an AAR, an After-Action Report, I find it very boring. But lore-ish AAR:s are intriguing and rewarding. Just check out The Rise Of The Northmen!
    I did not compare the two. I prefer "traditional" AARs with plots and whatnot (I wrote three of those myself), but I can also enjoy those that do not have a plot.
    Now about the TotW ones, I usually find it very hard to come up with an original lore-ish story. That's the issue I have with fan fiction.
    But it all comes down to personal preferences.

Bowmaster's Avatar Biarchus

Can someone point me to some good TATW AAR's in the AAR-forum? But not to the Restored and Forgotten Kingdoms, I know about them already.
    (yeah, yeah, I'm fin player of TATW 3.2...

In Memoriam: Blackomur89

Save MERP and TATW!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12