Thread: PIKEMEN FOREVER

Default PIKEMEN FOREVER

i would like to say that this is a sick mod but on thing bothers me. as the lowly peasants close in on the highly disciplined, well trained nobles, they know they are all going to survive this battle. why you ask? BECAUSE THEY HAVE GODDAMN MOTHERING 15 FOOT LONG ING WOODEN POLES WITH RAZOR MOHTA ING SHARP TIPS ON THE END. BUT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THEY ENGAGE?????????? THE ING PIKES GO THE AWAY. WHAT THE MAN. ING ER S. i apologize for my tirade but that is something that really irritates me but apparently not many others. i know its easy to do because i have done it myself for other lacking mods but please i beg you god of Britannia Campaign to fix this problem in a patch or even a download of the export_descr_unit file that fixes this. please and thank you. also CA and SEGA ARE S FOR NOT DOING THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE. ARE THEY ING DUMD? LIKE HONESTLY. THE ENEMY CHARGES GET STUCK BY THE PIKES THEN THE INFANTRY CHARGES IN FROM BEHIND THE PIKES AND RIPS APART THE SURVIVORS. GET IT THE RIGHT CA AND SEGA. THEY DID THE SAM GODDAMN THING IN ETW AND THAT ALSO PISSED ME OFF. THEY SUCK AT PIKES.

Default Re: PIKEMEN FOREVER

True like nothing else.

It has long been debated on the m2tw forums - pikes being too weak, or too strong!
    The removal of secondaries - common in many mods, rids the units of their swords entirely.

Personally, i find it unnecessary, I find pikes useful and always did. They need more care and attention with orders / formations than a lot of the medieval troops. As cheap fodder to replace spear militias, or the high quality "noble pikeman" you shouldn't expect them to do it alone - formation and support units are essential - noble knights doubling up with noble swordsmen as lines close. Pikes sticking out front protects swords from cav , and the noble swords can charge enemy infantry and pikes come in as a 2nd line - they will better be able to poke at the enemy. IF you just had a line of pikes and expect them to hold - think about it... dudes would get impaled on pikes, then more will get past them -- Pikeman would have to use a swords or his pike may break or become usless having a man impaled on it !

pikes are very cheap - 200 florin for a scots pike miliitia, amazing value - get ur foe on a bridge or a gatehouse with some pike into the mix , and you will rout the whole enemy.

Pikes are reasonably well done in M2TW, they can be undone by a combination of military wit and a decent roster, but they're generally very hard to crack. There is a reason why both classical and renaissance warfare headed in the direction of pike-bearing armies complimented by heavy cavalry.

try this config, it's the best i've come up with until now. it tricks the game into thinking the pikes are siege engines) of course they are not but this is the only way to makepikemen have guard mode on by default. unfortunately they can't use their swords, but they're not overpowered. also the ai will never use the on siege towers and ladders which is another good thing.

type Highland Pikemen
    dictionary Highland_Pikemen ; Highland Pikemen
    category siege
    class spearmen
    voice_type Light
    banner faction main_spear
    banner holy crusade
    soldier Highland_Pikemen, 60, 0, 4,0.2 ;Highland_Pikemen
    engine great_standart_milan
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_withdraw
    ;move_speed_mod 0.7
    formation 0.8, 1.8, 2.8, 2.8, 7, square, phalanx