Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: [EB AAR] ROMANI (A Historical Roman Campaign) [UPDATED 4/23/2013]

Lord of Cats's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: [EB AAR] ROMANI (A Historical Roman Campaign) [UPDATED 3/23/2013]

Yay! An update! And a very good one at that! Glad you're back and I hope you continue writing. Looking forward to your next update as always. Cheers! WC

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

Wow, this really was worth the wait.A fine update and great and detailed description of events.
    Cheers to you and all those who follow this AAR.
    Predator!

Very nice update! You even managed to put some interesting historical facts in it. I look forward to next one.

Hey guys,

Just letting you know that I should have an update ready sometime this week. I was able to get some screenshots and progression done in the campaign the other day. Overall I feel very good about the latest update since it not only incorporates the conclusion of the First Punic War, but also the 3rd Syrian War (although the game crashed before I was able to get a proper screenshot of the postwar Syrian and Thracian Regions. I also did some "creative" editing/interactions to make the situation on Greece a bit more interesting and historically reflect the politics and conflicts between the Macedonians/Ptolemaics/Seleucids, Achaean League, and the Aetolian League.

That's all I have for now, but there should be an update out shortly, and like I said, I think it is very satisfactory in summarizing the period of conflicts between many major powers at this time.

Lord of Cats's Avatar Vicarius

Glad to hear this! The Third Syrian War is very interesting indeed. Can't wait to see what you did. Looking forward toward the upcoming update. Cheers! WC

CAPITVLVM III (Part XIII): An End in Sight [3/3] (ROMA.INVICTA)

The territory of the Senate and People of Rome following the First Punic War with Carthage. The city of Syracuse remained independent for quite some time and was considered a valuable ally to the Romans. (Image courtesy of the website Explore the Mediterranean Interactive Atlas: http://explorethemed.com/Punic1.asp)

510 AUC (cont.)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

In 510 AUC, the war between the Romani and the Karthadastim was in a period of stalemate. The Romani could not force the Karthadastim out of Sicily altogether, nor could the Karthadastim recapture any cities and territories lost to the Romani during the war. However, elsewhere, war still raged on furiously:

The armies of Ptolemy III continued their aggressive march into King Seleucus II's lands. A midst the civil strife between Seleucus II and his younger brother Antiochus Hierax, Ptolemy's armies occupied Antioch...

...won decisive battles in both Anatolia and Syria under the command of the mercenary general Xanthippos (who defeated the Roman Consvl Marcvs Regvlvs)...

and reached as far as Bactria and the western borders of India:

King Seleucus II and the Empire of Seleukia was, however, able to garner two alliances within the Black Sea region to aid in their struggle against the Ptolemaic Empire:

Ptolemy III also secured an alliance between his nation and the Achaean League in Greece as the war intensified beyond just the Syrian regions. This alliance was more than likely made as a way to put pressure on the Makedonian King Antigonus II since Antigonus II was able to soundly defeat the Egyptian navy at the Battle of Andros two years prior.

Also within the Peloponnese region, Agis IV succeeded his father Eudamidas II as King of Sparta. Agis IV would attempt to implement some reforms in Sparta, however, these reforms would soon spell disaster for King Agis IV and his family...

511 AUC

The Third Syrian War would continue into 511 AUC as would the First Punic War. While the Romani began to move their fleet towards the Karthadastim ports and harbors to set up a naval blockade, the land based warfare would see little changes. In 510, Hamilcar Barca would shift his army to the slopes of Mount Eryx, as aforementioned, to aid support to the besieged city of Drepanvm:

However, little else changed in the Western Mediterranean in this year other than some desertion, skirmishing, and more bad news for King Seleucus II:

The war in Syria would also begin to wind down in this year as well. Following his successes in Syria, Ptolemy III was forced to return back to Egypt in order to quell a revolt and not allow it to spread any further:

Seleucus II would take this opportunity to quickly drive back the Ptolemaic armies from Mesopotamia and parts of Northern Syria and reinstate the rule of Arche Seleukia:

Ptolemy III did return back to Egypt with many treasures and works of art that he and his armies had taken during their conquests. A few of these treasures happened to be statues of Egyptian gods who had previously been taken from Egyptian temples by the Persian King of Kings and son of Cyrus the Great, Cambyses II. This act earned Ptolemy III much respect amongst the Egyptian populace as well as the distinguished title of Euergetes or 'benefactor.'

However, in the Peloponnese region of Greece, a much more eventful year had dawned. The Achaean League, under the guidance of the Greek statesman Aratus of Sicyon, had been steadily growing into a great power within Greece. With no declaration of war or hostilities, the Achaean League and their leader Aratus, quickly converge upon the Makedonian city of Korinthos and seize it:

With little to no true garrison to hold the city, the great city of Korinthos is practically defenseless...

The forces occupying the city, realizing their inopportune position, are forced to abandon the city to the forces of the Achaean League:

With the acquisition of the city of Korinthos, the Achaean League gains not only a great victory, but also a great deal of influence and power within the region. As a result of this, the cities of Megara, Troezen, and Epidaurus desert the Makedonian King Antigonus II and join the growing Achaean League:

The orange boundary contains the territories belonging to the Achaean League while the grey boundary represents the territories belonging to the Aetolian League

Also in this year, the King of Sparta, Agis IV, begins his policy of reforms regarding the distribution of land and wealth within Sparta. The policy which normally burdens the poor with debt is criticized by Agis IV and he proposes that the lands of Sparta be distributed evenly among its citizens as well as the cancellation of debts. In addition to this, Agis IV calls for the expansion of full citizenship to the perioeci, or voteless freemen, as well as to all foreigners. Agis also seeks to return to the system of Lycurgan military training which involved the training of girls among boys.

512 AUC

The Romani finally make an aggressive move on Sicily with the naval blockades of Lilibeo and Drepanvm by the Roman Consvl Gaivs Lvtativs Catvlvs and his fleet of 200 ships:

Earlier in the year, however, the Ponitfex Maximvs of Roma would not allow Gaivs Lvtativs Catvlvs to sail to Sicily for fear of another embarrassing defeat at the hands of the Karthadastim or perhaps by even Neptvnvs himself. Once he allowed the Roman Consvl to sail to Sicily, Drepanvm is promptly blockaded, cut off from all support and supplies, and besieged by the Romani. The position of the Roman navy and the need to push supplies to both Karthadastim cities as well as Hamilcar and his army set up the final battle of the First Punic War between Roma and Karthadast:

513 AUC

513 AUC (241 BC) was the year that two wars would come to an end. In addition to the conclusions of both the First Punic War and the Third Syrian War, civil strife in Greece would lead to a new King in Sparta:

When rising tensions between the Achaean League and the Aetolian League erupts into open hostility between the two, Aratus of Sicyon calls upon his temporary Spartan allies to aid him in his fight. King Agis IV accepts the offer and meets his allies on the field of battle against the Aetolians leaving his uncle Agesilaus in governance of the city of Sparta.
    While the Achaean League and their allies would carry the day at Pellene under the command of Aratus, Agis IV would find himself with a large problem back home in Sparta:

Unhappy, and perhaps jealous, with the rule of his uncle as well as impatient with the speed and delay of the implementation of King Agis' reforms, his supporters rise against him. Instead, they decide to side with the Agiad King of Sparta, Leonidas II, who quickly gains power through the support of his mercenary army. Agis IV responds not by fighting Leonidas, but by taking refuge in a temple where he later is enticed out, tried, and executed along with his mother and grandmother. Agis' brother Archidamus V flees to Messenia following the murder of his brother and family where he would reside for close to 13 years until he returned to Sparta after the death of Agis IV's son. He would be assassinated after only a short period of time in Sparta by Cleomenes III of the Agiad Dynasty (who was responsible for calling him to Sparta in the first place).

Further west, the First Punic War was coming to an end with the Battle of the Aegates Islands. The Karthadastim fleet arrived near Sicily in early March where they awaited an opportunity to relieve the blockades of Drepanvm and Lilibeo. However, on the morning of March 10th, the Karthadastim fleet was spotted by Romani scouts who reported back to the Roman Consvl Gaivs Lvtativs Catvlvs that the Karthadastim fleet appeared to be waiting for a strong wind to carry them any further due to the weight of their ships. The excess weight came from the food and supplies that the Karthadastim Commander Hanno the Great was carrying. Consvl Gaivs Lvtativs Catvlvs ordered his men to abandon the blockades and instead intercept the Karthadastim fleet before they could reach land:

The final battle in the First Punic War had begun.

The fairly rough conditions of the sea that day favored the Romani who were actually outnumbered by the Karthadastim fleet: 200 Roman ships to 250 or more Karthadastim ones. The Roman Consvl ordered his men to remove the masts, sails, and other naval equipment which may have hampered the movement of the Roman ships in the choppy seas. The second-in-command for the Romani, Falto, would command the movement of the ships once battle was joined due to Catvlvs' injuries sustained in a prior engagement.
    The battle was quickly evident to be in favor of the Romani since their ships were lighter and much more maneuverable than those of the Karthadastim. The Romani used this to their advantage as they would routinely sail their ships to the flanks of the Karthadastim lines, and then quickly ram the sides of the Karthadastim ships who were laden with supplies and sailing equipment. By the end of the battle, the Romani had lost only 30 of their ships while subsequently sinking 50 Karthadastim ships and capturing 70 more. The Romani had soundly defeated the Karthadastim navy, and with it, denied Hamilcar Barca and his army the supplies they desperately needed in order to maintain their position on Sicily.

Following the clear naval victory of the Romani, Consvl Gaivs Lvtativs Catvlvs was able to surround and finally capture the city of Lilibeo, thus cutting Hamilcar even further off from any supplies or reinforcements and leaving him surrounded by Romans on all sides. With no resources left to retrain an army or rebuild another fleet, Karthadast admitted defeat and sent word to Hamilcar Barca to sue for peace with the Romani:

The peace terms were harsh and demanding of the Karthadastim. First, all remaining troops in or around Lilibeo and the remainder of Sicily had to be removed, but were allowed to return to Karthadast. Second, Karthadast was forced to pay an indemnity of 3,200 talents of silver to Roma (a talent is a unit of measurement where one talent is the mass of water required to fill an amphora or other large liquid carrying container). Third, Karthadast was forced to give up all remaining holdings on Sicily as well as the Islands between Karthadast and Sicily and no longer had a claim to any lands in Sicily belonging to Roma or the city of Syracvsae. Finally, the Karthadastim navy was prohibited from entering Italian waters or the area surrounding the the city of Syracvsae.

Hamilcar Barca accepted these terms and, as promised, he and his army of mercenaries were allowed to return home with their weapons:

Roma was now the dominant power in the Western Mediterranean.

Elsewhere, the Third Syrian War was concluding with peace being brokered between Ptolemy III and Seleucus II. The peace terms favor Ptolemy as he is able to retain control of the port of Antioch, the Orontes River region in Syria, as well as his newly acquired outposts in southern Asia Minor (particularly Cilicia), Western Asia Minor with the city of Ephesus, as well as the territories he conquered in southern Thracia.

The Mediterranean was now able to breathe after nearly 20 years of warfare. However, this peace would not last long for the embattled. The mercenaries who had just returned from Sicily now demanded their payment from the Karthadastim for their service. Unfortunately for the Karthadastim, they did not have the funds left after paying for not only a long war, but also for the tribute to Roma as agreed to in the treaty. The mercenaries become upset with the attempt of Hanno the Great to have the mercenaries agree to a smaller payment and as a result, they raise their demands. After Hanno tells the mercenaries that he cannot afford to pay them, they halt negotiations, take up arms, and march on Tvnis. The mercenaries quickly occupy the city and inflate their demands once more, this time including the Libyan conscripts in the army. The Karthadastim send Gesco to negotiate with the mercenaries and attempt to salvage Karthadastim honor...

...and perhaps Karthadast herself.

Replies
    Warrior Cat: Thank you very much! I really hope you enjoyed the First Punic War and the Third Syrian War. I should be getting some pictures of the Syrian region sometime (probably next update) to show the final borders following the Syrian War.
    Predator1994: Thanks once more for your kind comments, my friend. I really hope you enjoyed the conclusion of the First Punic War. I should hopefully be getting a screenshot of the entirety of the SPQR shortly since my screenshot software messed up towards the end and I was unable to get a couple extra pictures.
    Dejeyo: Thank you and I hope you enjoyed the facts in this one as well! They were a bit time consuming to write today, haha. I think it took me about 3 or 4 hours to write this update, and that was right after I was working on a research paper for Geography! Good thing I like writing, I guess
    Last edited by EdwinMerit; April 24, 2013 at 07:37 AM.

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: [EB AAR] ROMANI (A Historical Roman Campaign) [UPDATED 4/23/2013]

Beutiful update once more.
    This AAR is a joy to read and i really enjoy it.

Cheers!

Indefinitely Banned

Nice updates so far. I believe advance to Corsica, Sardinia, Cisalpine Gaul and Illyria start now.

Kirila the Kitten's Avatar Primicerius

Very nice indeed, thank you Predator for seeing this and i am sorry for quitting my own AAR but I couldn't done it anymore, if you wish I can give you the save file and help the Seleucids rule Iberia... Good job here Edwin Merit I wish you to make a true historical roman AAR and even reach the great rebellion of Pompey or Marcvs Avrelivsc and Cleopatra. And I want you to make a proper battle between Romani and Getai, their last conquest.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456