Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: [EB AAR] ROMANI (A Historical Roman Campaign) [UPDATED 4/23/2013]

Default [EB AAR] ROMANI (A Historical Roman Campaign) [UPDATED 4/23/2013]

ROMANI
    A Historical Roman Campaign

House Rules and Goal of AAR

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

• I hope to be able to update this AAR twice a week (if not maybe even three times a week).
    • The first couple days of this AAR should see multiple posts so you guys can see if you would be interested in this AAR or not
    • Comments and feedback are most certainly welcome (of course) and do not be afraid to be harsh with criticism so long as it is constructive (I doubt I would see anything less from you all)
    • This AAR will stick to a historical Roman timeline as far as conquering and many diplomatic cables are concerned.
    • Legions will consist of a standard Roman Legion with the addition of the Socii Alae (Allied soldiers of Roma). I am still trying to figure out the best way to integrate them into the army (whether they should be in a different army and just follow the legion or if they should just be integrated in with the Roman units.
    • While the aim of this AAR is to be as historically accurate as possible, I am still human and ancient history is still difficult to replicate so expect a couple of slip-ups here or there
    • I know that this is a tall order to fulfill and that many have probably tried and failed before me, but I almost always try to play my Total War games with a higher degree of historical accuracy, so this isn't really anything new to me (except the AAR, this is my first)
    • Because the aim of this is to be historically accurate, I plan to toggle fog of war on and off every so often to make sure that there isn't any crazy ahistorical expansion going on (I'm looking at you Ptolemy)
    • Also, I will occasionally use force diplomacy to help aid a struggling nation or slow down an overly agressive one (I will not use force diplomacy to benefit myself unless it pertains to peace treaties and specific diplomatic engagements)
    • Remember that the letter 'U' was replaced in latin by the letter 'V'. Therefor, in this AAR, wherever there is a 'U' in a name, expect it to be replaced with its latin alternative 'V'. I also plan to use the historically accurate names for factions (i.e. Epeiros, Karthadastim, Roma, etc.)
    • I will let you know as this changes, but my plans right now are to try and play through to the end of the game (of course that may or may not happen)

Sources and Research

• The Roman Army: The Greatest War Machine of the Ancient World by Chris McNab
    • UNRV History: The Roman Empire
    • Quintus Sertorius' Guide to Conduct Becoming of a True Roman (Redux for EB from Quintus' Guide extended by Candelarius)
    • Wikipedia's SPQR Article Series
    • ZombiVoziKombi's EB Historical Conquest Timeline
    • The History of Rome (Weekly Podcast)
    • The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps

Index

CAPITVLVM I: A New Threat Emerges

“Roma. That such a simple word could be so complex. It is not one man who has forged Roma- it is thousands. An obvious statement on the surface, but what you my fellow Senators fail to realize is that I am not talking about distinguished Romans. No, it is the thousands who lay dead in our fields and the countless others who now live under our rule who I am referring to.”

A befuddled look came over quite a few of the old men of the Senate as they leaned in closer to hear what words next be spoken by the old, blind man.

“Those who lay dead or under our rule used to oppose Roma. No longer. They once thought that they would defeat us. They thought that they would be the victors. That THEY would be the ones blessed by the gods! Look at them now. They are our subjects, our citizens and allies, our slaves.

You all know of our history. You all know of our triumphs. Our cities. Our people. Our culture. What word would you use to best describe them other than Roma? For what word is a better compliment? To our allies it is welcome. To our foes it is feared. And you know what Roma and fear both have in common?”

“They both have four letters?” Jeered an old Senator to the approval of many chuckles including the man atop the podium.

“I suppose you are right Senator.” Remarked Appivs Claudivs Caecvs from his position at the center of the Senate Chamber. “However, the point I am getting across is that those who oppose Roma are like those who oppose fear: brave, yet foolish. Do you think that just because one acts unafraid he is fearless? Is it true that one who walks in a pit of snakes will never be bitten? NO! It is as much a fact of life that fool-hardy words and actions against Roma will not go unpunished as it is that we are the sons of Mars!”

The Senate Chamber began to fill with cheers and applause.

“That is why, I, Appivs Claudivs Caecvs refuse to even think of surrendering to a tyrant such as Pyrrhos!”

Many of the Senators were now on their feet and more yet were vociferously agreeing with him.

“So that is why I tell Cineas to bring word back to King Pyrrhos that Roma shall never surrender to the likes of him or any who oppose her! Remember this my fellow Romans: qvisqve faber svae fortvnae (every man is the architect of his own fortune). Just as I sealed the greatness of Roma with the construction of the Via Appia, Pyrrhos has sealed his own failure by demanding surrender from Roma!”

Not a word could be spoken that would be heard in the Chamber. The old Roman had made his opinion quite clear and thus sealed the fate of the two nations. There would be no peace between Roma and Epeiros despite the loss at Heraclea for the Republic. It was now up to the legions of Rome to defend the city against the Pyrrhic King and his army.

Thanks for reading and this should be updated with some actual in-game footage shortly!
    Last edited by EdwinMerit; April 23, 2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Added an Index and House Rules Section as well as Multiple Other Changes

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Default Re: [EB AAR] ROMANI (A Historical Roman Campaign)

Lookin' good I like the intro, for certain, and look forward to more of the same.

CAPITVLVM I (Part II): The Battle of Ascvlvm

Consul Decivs Mvs (Grandfather of the current Consul also named Decivs Mvs) before he charges the opposing force alone thus killing himself as a sign of bravery to inspire his men

474 AUC

Following the defeat at Heraclea, Roma prepared itself for a defense against Pyrrhos and his Greek army. Word quickly reached Roma that Pyrrhos’ scouts were as little as 4 miles from the eternal city itself. However, some fortunate news arrived which would delay the Pyrrhic assault, and perhaps maybe even deter it all together: Peace had just been brokered with the Etruscans.

Consul Tiberivs Corvncanivs and his legions now turned south from Etruria and returned back towards Roma to ready the defenses in case of an attack. Meanwhile, the defensive army raised by Roma for her own protection, and led by dictator Gnaivs Domitivs Calvvs, was making preparations to defend the walls of the city. The other consular army under the command of the Consul Laevinvs approached to aid in the fight while threatening Pyrrhos’ very own supply line.

Faced with this impossible task, the Pyrrhic Army halted its advance and instead waited for an opportunity to be able to strike a decisive blow against one of the powerful Roman Armies. The consular armies still stayed around Roma, and instead of perhaps attacking Pyrrhos with a combined attack, decided to wait since many of the men still feared the presence of Pyrrhos’ elephants. During the Battle of Heraclea, these very elephants were responsible for the defeat of the Romans as their deployment sparked panic amongst the Roman lines and quickly led to a Roman forced retreat.

However, the longer these armies waited the less chance Pyrrhos had at a successful attack. Realizing this, he ordered a retreat for the winter. The Romans did not pursue and the remainder of the winter was spent relatively uneventful. It was at this time that Pyrrhos had sent Cineas to Roma to perhaps negotiate peace between the two powerful nations. As aforementioned, this plan would instead provoke the Romans to see to it that Pyrrhos be driven from Italy altogether.

475 AUC

The path of Pyrrhos' campaign through southern Italy

As spring and the fighting season began, Roman scouts once more informed of a Pyrrhic advancement towards Roma. The scouts were correct. Pyrrhos and his large army of Greeks and local warriors invaded Apulia conquering many cities such that most of Southern Italy now rest under his control. The Romans sent out Consul Publivs Decivs Mvs with the help of fellow Consul Publivs Svlpicivs Saverrio to halt the Pyrrhic advance. As the men looked across the River Avfidvs, they saw a large Greek army approaching on the other side.

The major problem facing the Romans, however, was still the elephants commanded by Pyrrhos. While the Romans tried to neutralize this threat, Pyrrhos attempted to negate the effectiveness of the Roman Manipular formation. Both sides had their own worries as they approached the battlefield in late summer.

The Battle of Ascvlvm

The opposing armies meet on the battlefield

The cavalry battle begins before the rest of the men begin to fight. The fighting on the first day of the battle would later end with no clear winner

The clash of cavalry continues as the battle commences behind them

The main battle commences with a thunderous racket as both sides slam into one another

The early part of the day would see the Romans begin to push back the Pyrrhic army, however, much like the cavalry battle, the first day of fighting would see no clear winner

At dawn on the second day of the battle, the Roman cavalry was forced down off of a small hill which had been used the previous day to aid them. Without this advantage and with the addition of some light infantry later in the day, the Roman cavalry quickly began to suffer many casualties and was forced to withdraw.

On the second day of the battle, Pyrrhos ordered his elephants to drive down the Roman lines to try and break the stalemate.

At the same time as the elephants began to attack, Pyrrhos charged the Roman lines along with his bodyguard. The two attacks combined caused many of the Romans to begin to waver substantially.

Many parts of the Roman line began to crumble under the overwhelming and relentless Greek force.

Not even a heroic sacrificial charge by Decivs Mvs could alter the outcome of the battle, however, as many of the Roman forces began to rout or withdraw.

The saving grace for the Romans was perhaps a panicked elephant who began to frighten the other beasts. Instead of pursue the fleeing Romans, Pyrrhos ordered his men to fall back in order to avoid unnecessary casualties caused by the elephants.

The battle ended on the second day with no decisive victory by either side even if the Romans had lost. The Roman army fell back towards Rome to regroup leaving Southern Italy to Pyrrhos. Even though the Romans had suffered defeat once more, they had successfully denied Pyrrhos the decisive victory which he so desperately needed in order to continue his Italian campaign. Roma was safe for the time being at least.

Thanks for reading and don't forget to comment on any parts you liked or would like to see improved!
    Last edited by EdwinMerit; October 17, 2012 at 09:29 PM.

CAPITVLVM I (Part III): Turning of the Tide

The expansion of Roma and the Allies of the Romani. Note the starting lands of Latium and just how far they have spanned due to multiple wars with the Italic, Etruscan, and Samnite neighbors of Roma.

476 AUC

Following the close defeat at Ascvlvm, Roma and Epeiros agreed to a status quo ceasefire while Pyrrhos left Italy to seek his ultimate goal: A Sicilian Empire. This came about after Pyrrhos had attempted to reach an alliance with Karthadastim (Carthage), but instead the people of Karthadastim sent a squadron of soldiers to aid in the fight against Pyrrhos.

The major cities and fortifications in Sicily which Epeiros and Karthadastim would fight over during Pyrrhos' Sicilian Campaign

Pyrrhos now turned his full attention to defeating the Karthadastim fortifications which were spread out across Sicily. While Pyrrhos was crossing the Straight of Messina, Karthadastim was busy besieging the Greek city of Syracvsae (Syracuse). While Karthadastim may have easily held the naval advantage, the Epeirotes had a clear advantage on the battlefield. In the few years (476-479 AUC) following the fighting against Roma, Pyrrhos had driven back the Karthadastim field army, captured the cities of Panormus and Eryx, and forced the remaining forces back to the naval stronghold of Lilybaeum. Refusing a peace treaty with Karthadastim in which he would keep all of Sicily except for Lilybaeum, Pyrrhos now faced a real threat. While he had achieved many victories against Karthadastim, much like in his Italian campaign, Pyrrhos had suffered heavy casualties with little reinforcements to bolster his numbers.

477 AUC

Meanwhile in Italy, Roma had some setbacks as well (of course nowhere near what Pyrrhos was facing). The Samnites had aided Pyrrhos in his fight against Roma in order to win back the lands and freedom which they had lost during the Samnite Wars. However, when Pyrrhos had left Italy in 476 AUC to capture Sicily, the Samnites found themselves alone against the superior Roman Republic. In 477 AUC, the Consuls Pvblivs Cornelivs Rvfinvs and Caivs Ivnivs Bvbvlcvs invaded the lands of the Samnite warriors taking several deserted forts as they progressed. The Samnites had since retreated to a formation of hills known as the Cranita Hills. It was here where the two forces would fight.

This selection of terrain would prove deadly for the Romans as many men were stuck in the tangled shrubbery making them easy targets for the Samnites. The loss of the battle was more of an embarrassment than a setback since the Samnites posed no threat to Roma or any of the surrounding cities. Both commanders obviously upset at the loss of the battle blamed each other for the failure and vowed to no longer work together. Caivs Ivnivs Bvbvlcvs would gather the remnants of his army and continue his fight against the Samnites. Later that same year, Pvblivs Cornelivs Rvfinvs would lead his army to southern Italy and capture the now half-deserted city of Croton for the Roman Republic.

478 AUC

By 478, Pyrrhos had made moves to end his Sicilian campaign and return to aid the Tarentines who by now were one of the only people left unconquered by the Romani on Italy. Pyrrhos had intended to stay in Syracvsae as tyrant; however, after Sicilian opinion had turned against him and after being asked to leave by many of the Sicilian Greeks, Pyrrhos now turned his focus to aiding the Tarentines (he would make a note while leaving Sicily that it would be a “fair wrestling ring” for Karthadastim and Roma.

479 AUC

By the time Pyrrhos and the remainder of his once powerful, yet still effective, army crossed back into Italy Roma had retrained her now veteran legions. Pyrrhos had marched northward towards Roma, hoping for the decisive victory which had eluded him thus far. He would not get it. The Romani had marched south to meet him and even erected a fort (which they had learned and applied from the Epeirote Forts that scouts had reported earlier in the war) near the town of Maleventvm (town of bad happenings). While Pyrrhos would gain some numbers to aid in his fight by some defections of allied Italic troops, it would not be enough to overcome a failed sneak attack on the Roman fortification. Pyrrhos was able to retreat with the majority of his troops intact; however, he had lost 8 of his irreplaceable war elephants in the confusion.

The Romani would attack the Epeirote army the following day. The first attack was repelled by Pyrrhos’ tactical use of his remaining elephants, however, a second wave would quickly overwhelm the Epeirote army and even lead to Pyrrhos’ elephants stampeding through his own lines. Pyrrhos had no choice but to withdraw, and with no reinforcements, leave Italy altogether.

The first half of the "Battle of Beneventvm" would see little advance by either side just had been the case throughout most of the war

Despite their dwindling numbers, Pyrrhos made full use of his remaining elephants in order to force the Roman troops back and create a short break in the action

The Romans, however, would quickly regroup for a second assault on the Epeirote troops forcing many to flee or, at the very least, to fall back

The final nail in the coffin was the routing of the elephants. Once Pyrrhos saw the elephants not only running from the battlefield, but also running through his own lines he quickly ordered a withdrawal of all troops. Roma had finally defeated the Greek Tyrant Pyrrhos.

The Romani had successfully repelled the invading Greek army and now was the unquestioned super power on Italy. In the years following the Pyrrhic War, Roma would retrain the remaining armies and reconquer cities which had been lost to Pyrrhos. The Republic now turned its attention to the helpless city of the Tarentines.

All right guys, thanks for bearing with me through that introduction, haha! Starting now the campaign map will be integrated into the AAR which I'm sure many of you were looking forward to. I hope you thought that the first chapter was interesting being that I really wanted to have this AAR start off in 280 BC with the beginning of the Pyrrhic War. Hopefully it somewhat worked.

As always, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed the first chapter!
    Last edited by EdwinMerit; October 17, 2012 at 09:29 PM.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Nicccccceee!!!!

SrgDark's Avatar Laetus

Great introduction, looking forward to reading more

Replies

McScottish: Thanks for showing interest in this AAR since the beginning. Hope you stick around for the remainder of the AAR!

Stath's: Haha, thanks!

SrgDark: Thanks, Dark! I'm looking forward to the continuation of your AAR as well.

NEWS

Hey guys, no update this weekend due to work, but I will say that I am planning ahead with this AAR because I really want this to be fun for you to read, and fun for me to play.

So here is a small update before we dive into the actual campaign:

• I am currently trying to work on the scripts so that the Second Punic War starts off right with an invasion of Italy by a certain family member (i wonder who that could be?)
    • I am also trying to get my post number up to 25 so that I can start to edit my posts and be able to provide an index on the first page to aid in navigation of the AAR
    • I am wondering if there are any mods which you guys would recommend to make this moer interesting for you (I am currently using the Force Diplomacy mod, but I believe that is it)
    • I also modded both forms of triarii so that they are halved (both in man-power and cost) so that it is a more realistic triarii maniple showcasing the skill and effort (and money) required to become a soldier of Roma's most elite early infantry division

As always, if you guys have any comments, suggestions or concerns, I am all ears.
    Last edited by EdwinMerit; December 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM.

Boduognatus's Avatar Foederatus

I like the battle images, and its very well written! My hat goes of to you sir!

Indefinitely Banned

A very unique way to start an AAR. I will be following for further updates.

CAPITVLVM II (Part I): Consequences

The death of the Greek Tyrant Pyrrhos of Epeiros is depicted in this scene. Note the roof tile thrown by an Argead woman which would stun the General and allow for a number of Argead soldiers to quickly kill him.

482 AUC

The year in which the Great Greek King Pyrrhos would lose his life battling in the streets of Argos was the same year that Roma would finally take the Tarentine City of Taras. At the beginning of the year, two retrained Legions were sent from Roma to take the city:

However, upon arriving at the Greek City, the Tarentines immediately surrendered to the Roman Army upon hearing of the death of Pyrrhos. The Legions were stationed within the region in order to quickly dispel any resentment and be able to repair areas of the city which had been damaged over the course of the Pyrrhic War:

It was not long after, however, that the Senate ordered a client ruler to be installed in the city of Taras in order to quickly pacify the populace and bring them over to the rule of the Res Publica. The Senate also decided to allow for the people of Ariminum to be considered Allies of Roma, as well as beginning to reconstruct the city of Arpi which had been lost to Pyrrhos during the war:

During the same year, the young Caivs Avrelivs Cotta began his studies in the city of Roma in order to prepare for his years as a Roman Senator. His studious attitude would bring great results as he continued to walk amongst his relatives and current Senators in the Forvm of Roma as the year came to a close:

483 AUC

The early portion of 483 AUC would see an espionage mission set about as a means to scout the treacherous Roman forces garrisoned within the city of Rhegion:

It would yield satisfactory results as Roma's man in charge of the mission would gain valuable knowledge about the traitors as well as invaluable experience for future applications against enemies of Roma.

The same year would also see our emissary reaching the lands of Epeiros to plan talks of a formal treaty between Roma and the people of Epeiros. The talks would go very much in favor of Roma, and would formally conclude the War (Epeiros had no intent to continue putting up a fight at this point being that Pyrrhos now lay dead and beheaded in another Greek town):

484 AUC

The beginning of the year would start with bad news as both Marcvs Valerivs Corvvs and Consul Manivs Cvrivs Dentatvs would join their ancestors in the afterlife:

And more unfortunate news would reach the Roman Fortifications near Capua as another important figure perished along with the two former Roman Generals:

Certainly this year must get better, however, as a lone messenger sent word that the traitors within the city of Rhegion were beginning to become even more nervous and disorderly. Seeing now that all of Central and Southern Italy rested firmly under Roman control, except for the Region of Calabria and city of Rhegion many within the city began to panic and in a disgusting turn of events, slaughtered much of the local Greek populace. This could not stand! Roma had originally sent a legion under the command of Avlvs Decivs Ivbellivs to capture the city in order to head off Pyrrhos' advance through the South. However, the traitors had decided to instead occupy the city, sack the settlement, and then even go as far as to kill many of the local populace. It became clear that Roman honor must be restored in the form of force. The Senate ordered two Legions be moved into Calabria to besiege and then take the city of Rhegion:

The Siege of Rhegion

In the early morning hours, the Consular Army under the control of Cnaevs Cornelivs Blasio would begin the assault of the city using 4 rams built the previous season.

By mid-morning, the rams being pushed by the first infantry line of Hastati and allied Rorarii Infantry would make it to the walls. The rams would quickly begin to batter the wooden walls causing many sections to buckle.

Early on, the Roman forces would capture the enemy gate allowing for easy maneuvering into the city through 4 openings within the walls as well as the now Roman controlled gates.

The Roman forces would begin to push back the opposing troops and by midday, the Roman troops were nearly to the central plaza.

By late afternoon, the Roman forces had defeated most of the enemy troops. When the switch from the front lines of Hastati and Allied Infantry to the second line of Principes and Allied Spearmen was ordered, it began to rain...

..and when it rains, it pours for the enemies of Roma. The traitor general was cut down in the narrow streets near the plaza.

By dusk, the Romani had control over the central plaza as well as many other portions of the city. The remainder of the city would be patrolled later that night or in the early morning on the following day.

The traitors were put to the sword and many of the men responsible for the treason were beheaded with their lifeless bodies displayed in the town plaza. The citizens of the town, however, were granted the title of Allies of Roma by the Senate. A client ruler is planned to be installed in the following year after the city's walls are rebuilt and the roads repaved.

The current state of the SenatvsPopvlvsqveRomanvs:

Replies:

Boduognatus: Thank you very much. Hopefully it can stay just as interesting throughout the duration of the AAR.

The Kybrothilian: Thanks! I love EB, but one area which I always missed (in both EB and Vanilla) was the Pyrrhic War and I wanted to try and add that bit of creative flavor to this AAR that the war with Pyrrhos brought about.

As always guys, hoped you enjoyed and stay tuned for more! Sorry about the delay between updates, but hopefully this was worth the wait!
    Last edited by EdwinMerit; April 28, 2013 at 01:38 PM.

Ganbarenippon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I've just read the first entry, and seeing as how I've an early meeting tomorrow and I've just seen the length of this I'll have to save the rest for work! A very promising start, please keep going.

Indefinitely Banned

Nice. I think that from here on you can take it easy with the conquering, and only start military operations to react someone else's expansion. (not forcing you or anything)

Love it, You put a lot of time into this which makes it even more interesting, I love your whole take on the situation. Please keep going.

Ps: First post, yay.

CAPITVLVM II (Part II): The Gathering Storm

The early Roman Coinage began with simple bronze rectangular bars. While these would be short lived and replaced by the common circular Roman Coins, the rectangular "Aes Signatvm" began the process of a unified Roman currency to be shared by the many different regions under the control of the Roman Republic.

485 AUC

With the majority of Central and Southern Italy now firmly under the control of the Roma, the Republic set out to incorporate the newly conquered regions into the Res Pvblica. In order to do this effectively, the Senate granted the newly conquered region of Calabria the title of Allies of Roma, and quickly installed a Client Ruler within the city of Rhegion:

Later in the year a group of mercenaries who call themselves the Mamertines, were employed by the former Syracvsan Tyrant Agathocles to take the settlement of Messana. After the taking of the stronghold, many of the bands of mercenaries begin to assault portions of Sicily (many of which are under Syracvsan control). The result of this is a pitched battle near the city of Messana in which the Syracvsan forces led by Heiro defeat the Mamertines. However, before the Syracvsan Army can go any further, a Karthadastim Army intervenes leading to a Syracvsan retreat. The people of Syracvse, however grateful, proclaim Heiro II as Tyrant of Syracvsae:

486 AUC

The following year would see war once more for Roma, however, the war with the Picentes would not last long (only a couple of seasons) and from it would see a Roman victory over the Picentes of North Eastern Italy:

The Senate ordered that the region be colonized and later be granted limited citizenship to the Republic. The result of this was a series of building projects within the region in order to incorporate the city of Ariminvm into the Republic as easily as possible. The same time saw the Roman Roads of the Via Appia finally rebuilt wherever they may have been damaged by the armies of Epeiros:

Construction continued in the newly occupied provinces, and soon enough the people seemed generally content with their new Roman conquerors. In fact, the people were so enthralled to be able to be part of the Roman Republic that the Senate issued an order to colonize a town formerly called Maleventvm. The new town would be named Beneventvm (Town of Good Fortune).

487 AUC

The Romani would soon find themselves celebrating once more as the city of Brundisivm fell to the might of the Roman Legions. The capture of Brundisivm meant that more territory would be incorporated into the Res Pvblica.

The governmental buildings within the city of Taras were upgraded in order to better suit the growing sphere of influence in the region. A new system of coinage would also make it easier to be able to keep up with the taxes owed to Roma by an even larger percentage of people.

The building projects within many of the newly conquered territories were beginning to show grand results as walls were upgraded to protect against rebellious groups or local militias who still did not recognize Roman rule:

488 AUC

The year of 488 Ab Vrbe Condita would be the year in which the Res Pvblica would stretch unhindered from the northern portions of Central Italy all the way to Southern Italy! In the early part of the year, Marcvs Atilivs Regvlvs and Lvcivs Jvlivs Libo would celebrate a triumph over the Salentini of Southeastern Italy. Following the military successes of the two consuls, the regions of Calabria and Messapia were fully annexed by the Romani. The only power which remained in Central and Southern Italy was Roma!

The Roman military complex south of Capva would see new additions into the army as Socii Alae. Akonistai, skirmishers recruited from the region surrounding Taras would be used in the front skirmisher line alongside Leves:

Also, the warriors of the Samnites would be able to return to the ranks as allied soldiers following their alliance with Pyrrhos:

With these new additions to the Socii Alae, the Roman Legions stationed south of Capva grew to an impressive strength. The legions would be inspected by the former Consvl Cnaevs Cornelivs Blasio.

In addition, Caivs Avrelivs Cotta would begin his military career as any future, hopeful senator should:

Lvcivs Cornelivs Scipio would also see good fortunes come his way as he was elected into the office of Cvrvle Aedile. He will be responsible for maintaining many of the public buildings around Roma and the settlements of Lativm:

489 AUC

A small market was built in Rhegion in response to the rapid growth and need for a center of trade within the region. The people of Capva also saw a small racecourse built into the countryside for the entertainment of the local populace:

The men stationed at the fort just south of Capva also would benefit in the year of 489 as an abundance of food from a successful harvest and supplies from the conquered lands made their way into the fortification:

The man overseeing the fort would also benefit from new men walking around the fort and would find himself a physician to aid his health during the slack periods of the year.

With word reaching Roma that Heiro of Syracvsae was planning on renewing his attack on the Mamertine city of Messana, Roma ordered a spy mission for information regarding the city and its occupants:

However, the city was well-defended and the mission would have to be delayed until a later opportunity arose.

Meanwhile, the client ruler in charge of governance in the region of Calabria began to have a really positive relationship with the local populace. The people of Rhegion were content with the management decisions made following the annexation of the region to Roma. As a result, they thought of him as one of their own:

And shortly thereafter, the opportunity for a successful espionage mission presented itself:

The local garrison looked strong, yet would not be able to hold out for long against the Syracvsans. The people of Messana knew this and in late 489, the city of Messana appealed for help from Karthadastim as well as Roma. The Senate meets with the emissary from Messana to discuss assistance if they are attacked by Heiro of Syracvsae...

Replies:

Ganbarenippon: Thank you. Hopefully you have gotten a chance to catch up and now you have a new part to read!

The Kybrothilian: Thanks for the reply. I plan on sticking to the Roman timetable as far as conquering goes. As you can see, some of it is more story-based than anything, however, the next chapter will see some new expansion as a result of some agressive tendencies...

nubcaker: Thanks for the interest! I am trying to put a little bit of work into this AAR in order to give it a nice historical, yet interesting feel to it. Hope you enjoyed this new addition and thanks for letting me have your first post on my AAR!
    Last edited by EdwinMerit; October 17, 2012 at 09:32 PM.

Default Re: [EB AAR] ROMANI (A Historical Roman Campaign) [UPDATED 9/5/2012]

Hey guys,

Sorry for the lack of a recent update (work has been getting in the way of things which, I guess, is a good problem to have right now). Anyways, update coming tomorrow in which we start...

...well, I guess you know what's about to happen next.

Anyhow, the point of this is just to tell you guys that there is an update tomorrow (I spent some of today scripting the appearances of certain armies for certain battles), and that this will kick off the Roman expansion outside of just Italy.

Take this as consolation for not having an update sooner for everyone (for those who might not have seen it yet, it's a video about Roman Sculptures and how they were made "real"):

Roman Sculptures (BBC)

Thanks guys, and look forward to an update on ROMANI sometime tomorrow.
    Last edited by EdwinMerit; September 13, 2012 at 07:10 AM.

Default Re: [EB AAR] ROMANI (A Historical Roman Campaign) [UPDATED 9/5/2012]

CAPITVLVM III (Part I): War with Karthadast

A bust of Hamilcar Barca, the great Carthaginian general. He would provide the greatest opposition to the Romans during the course of the (First) Punic War.

489 AUC (cont.)

By the time the Senate had time to deliberate about what to do with the Mamertines (whether the Romans should help them or not), the Syracvsan Army was all ready moving towards the city. Intercepting this Greek army was one of the People of Karthadast.

The Senate in this time was very concerned about the prospect of Karthadast expansion towards Italy, but still did not wish to potentially fight in a large war so soon after the major conflict with Pyrrhos. In the time that Senate was still undecided, the army of Karthadast had sent an ultimatum to the Mamertines: Accept a Karthadastim garrison within the city or lose their support for the remainder of the conflicts with Syracvsae. The Mamertines, upset with the possibility of losing their city to the Karthadastim or the Syracvsans sent an envoy to Roma to request an alliance with the Romani. Even though the Romani and Karthadastim were technically allies and even fought with one another against Pyrrhos, the relationship between the two had become increasingly stressed as both powers were now equal and vying for role as the sole ruler of the Western Mediterranean. Knowing this, the Mamertines who were themselves of Southern Italy, made sure to request for the alliance of Roma perhaps against the Karthadastim.

This further compelled the Senate to act knowing that any action taken to aid the Mamertines in their fight to take back their city and expel the Karthadastim garrison would almost undoubtedly lead to war between Roma and Karthadast.

With the Senate split on what to do, they put the decision up for vote to the Comitia Cvriata (Curiate Assembly). The Comitia Cvriata decided to aid the Mamertines in their fight and sent Appivs Clavdivs Cavdex along with two legions to Sicily in the first Roman military operation outside of Italy:

490 AUC

Appivs Clavdivs Cavdex and his legions unloaded near Messana in early 490 AUC with relative ease even though the Karthadastim controlled the waters around the Mediterranean:

The Karthadast, now feeling threatened by the Romani advance onto Sicily, began to question which side was worth fighting more (the Syracvsans or the Romani). The Romani, however, still advanced onward to the Mamertine city of Messana to aid in the expulsion of any Karthadast or Syracvsan troops garrisoned inside or near the city.

War with Karthadast appeared to have begun:

The "Siege" of Messana

Although the Mamertines had expelled much of the original garrison armies of Karthadast and Syracvsae, a few troops remained within the city. The original plan of Appivs Clavdivs was to simply tell the garrisoned soldiers to surrender, however, when diplomatic talks turned sour small skirmishes broke out around the city:

The majority of the Roman forces remained outside the city, however, and would soon see the grand result of the conflict as the Karthadastim garrison commander Hanno (a very popular name for Carthaginians at the time) prepared to fight the Romani:

However, seeing as he was outnumbered and outclassed by the superior Roman Legions, the garrison commander Hanno answered a call by the Romani for diplomatic talks to end the conflict. Hanno promptly descended from the citadel at the center of the city and, not wanting to be the one responsible for escalating the war between the two nations, agreed to surrender the city to the Romani. He was quickly captured by the Roman guards and led out of the city with the remainder of his men. He would later be crucified by the Karthadastim for cowardice because he gave the city up without much of a fight.

Karthadast, now infuriated by the turn of events, severed all ties to the Mamertines and quickly sent an emissary to the Syracvsan King Hiero II. Hiero, sensing that should the Karthadast lose to Roma Syracvsae would more than likely soon fall, realized his inopportune position in the conflict and hurriedly agreed to this new proposal to aid the Karthadastim.

After a combined attack on the city of Messana failed, both Karthadast and Syracvsae pulled their troops south to defend the towns and cities south of the Romani. The city of Messana now firmly belonged to the Romani and their Mamertine allies.

The Romani would quickly expel any and all opposing forces outside of the city of Messana. These soldiers were used to patrol the outer edges of the city after the failed assualt by Karthadastim and Syracvasae.

The Romani occupied the city after consent from their 'cousins' the Mamertines and rebuilt parts of the city damaged during the original attacks by the Syracvsans and Karthadastim:

The Romani now turned their attention south of Messana towards the remaining armies and cities separating the Roman Army from the great city of Syracvsae.

Post Scriptvm

A short update, but I promised one for today so here it is (or was I guess). Anyhow, the next update will see the Romans pushing both the remaining Carthaginian and Syracusan forces out of North Eastern Sicily as well as the capturing of a couple of towns loyal to either the Carthaginians or the Syracusans.

Again, sorry for both the short length of this update and the tardiness of it, but I want to do this AAR right. So between work and scripting (which I suck at btw ), it might take a small amount of time to get these updates up properly.

Hope you enjoyed and please comment about anything you like or didn't like (seriously, comment about ANYTHING. I feel like the only one here )
    Last edited by EdwinMerit; October 18, 2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Added in some more details and fixed some (vaguely) incorrect ones

Default Re: [EB AAR] ROMANI (A Historical Roman Campaign) [UPDATED: 9/11/2012]

If this makes you happy than this is the only AAR i am watching

Indefinitely Banned

Excellent work. So you're adding additional scripts in? Very nice. And I wouldn't worry about the lack of comments early on, as it takes time until the AAR starts to get attention.

Also, how are you using the characters? Do you use them historically (only consuls or ex-consuls are allowed to lead war efforts or do you grab young FMs as well?

Replies:

Specialized: Thanks! I actually am having quite a bit of fun trying to see how closely I can emulate the conflicts of the Roman World without making it either too difficult to manage, or too boring to story tell.

The Kybrothilian: Thanks once again!
    Yea, I'm trying to add some scripts in to the game so that I can have some battles pop up with historical characters and yield similar results to when the Romans and Carthaginians were vying for power over Sicily.
    As far as comments go, I guess I don't want to sound whiny since you are right that it takes time for an AAR to show what it is truly capable of. I just don't want this to get pushed way down the front page or onto the second page since I normally don't get a chance to touch it on weekends because of work.
    The characters are a little interesting. Because I do not want to hire a bunch of Roman Generals and name them with scripts all the time, I normally will take my best suited Generals (Consuls, ex-consuls, praetors, ex-praetors, and even quaestors) and I will have them lead the army to where it is needed. In cases where I don't have someone with the correct name, well, that is where a little creative editing comes in after words to just give it that little bit extra detail. In fact, I am thinking of taking some Roman General thumbnails and saving them on my computer so that I can edit their picture in with the historically correct name of the time. Nothing else changes, just the name for accuracy. Tribunes are selected based on need and need for experience (Cotta will remain a tribune for a few more years until he is old enough to return to Rome to get elected to an office or until I find someone who has just turned 20 and needs to become a Tribune).

edit: wow, that was quite the reply. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by EdwinMerit; October 01, 2012 at 12:13 PM.

I've really enjoyed the AAR so far. I like your aim to make this as historical accurate as possible. Looking forward to further updates.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast