Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [EB AAR] ROMANI (A Historical Roman Campaign) [UPDATED 4/23/2013]

Default Re: [EB AAR] ROMANI (A Historical Roman Campaign) [UPDATED: 10/25/2012]

Thanks once again Predator. I'm glad you liked the bit about the navy since I thought it would be interesting to try and incorporate them (or at least the major ones after this introduction to the navy) into the AAR.

I will certainly try and keep this AAR going since it has been fun to play and even more fun to write and piece together. I really look forward to updating this AAR and being able to read all of your comments. I have been having to work slightly more than usual due to some people leaving work and us training new employees, but I will be extremely busy with work come November and December. I also start school back up in the spring so I will continue to try and update as regularly as possible, but there may be a short hiatus in between updates at the beginning of the new year. I shall see though; I wouldn't expect this AAR to die because I have had a lot of fun with the detail involved and would love to try and continue into other time frames.
    i.e. Barbarian Factions and the Byzantine/Late Roman Empire; Medieval expansion of the Turkish Empire; England becoming a major world power; the Genpei War (I have already done a historical expansion only campaign just not an AAR to accompany it).

Of course, first I have to make sure that I complete this one! haha

Default Re: [EB AAR] ROMANI (A Historical Roman Campaign) [UPDATED: 10/25/2012]

Just a small teaser for the next update either tomorrow or on the first:

Roma overlooks the island of Corsica and the city of Alalia. Perhaps the time has come for the Romani to expand the fighting beyond the island of Sicily...

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: [EB AAR] ROMANI (A Historical Roman Campaign) [Teaser for Update on 10/31 or 11/1]

I'll be waithing for this.

Default Re: [EB AAR] ROMANI (A Historical Roman Campaign) [Teaser for Update on 10/31 or 11/1]

CAPITVLVM III (Part VII): Corsica Contested

The territories under the influence of the Empire of Karthadast in the year 495 AUC in the war with the Romani

495 AUC
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

In 495 AUC, the current commander of the forces of Karthadast on Sicily had decided to take advantage of the Karthadastim victory at Thermae over the Romani. He began by consolidating his forced in the north of Sicily and quickly marched toward the town of Enna which was under Roman rule.

The general Hamilcar (not Barca) moved north of the city of Agrigentvm and headed for central and southeastern Sicily. He quickly was able to overrun the defenses of Enna and the city surrendered to him thus returning Enna to the Karthadastim. Given his successes at the past two battles, he moved his army into Syracvsan territory and seized the city of Camarina:

It was clear that this was a move to try and force Syracvsae to rejoin the Karthadastim in the war. Heiro, however, had been treated well by the Romani and was reluctant to stop supplying the Armies of the Consvles on Sicily. Hamilcar knew a lost cause when he saw one and instead of trying to attempt a suicidal siege upon the city of Syracvsae, withdrew his troops to the western half of Sicily.

The Romani would retake Enna and Camarina the following year.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the Mediterranean, the Romani decided it was time to remove the Karthadastim presence from the island closest to Roma herself: Corsica. They began by loading the ships in the harbor of Capva and appointing Consvl Lvcivs Cornelivs Scipio to lead the fleet to the island of Corsica:

In addition to commanding the fleet, Lvcivs Cornelivs Scipio was also in charge of the Siege of Alalia and also in repelling the Karthadastim forces from the island. The island was relatively unguarded by the Karthadastim and would prove to be an easy win for the Romani:

Control of Corsica Contested by the Romani

The Roman Consvl Lvcivs Cornelivs Scipio would unload his troops at the bottom of a hilltop city known as Alalia. This town held the majority of the Karthadastim forces on the island, yet was only manned by a sum of 557 men:

Nonetheless, the Roman Consvl ordered his men to march to the city and take it by force:

The Romani began the siege by deploying rams to knock down the front walls of the city:

These rams were successful in quickly knocking down the enemy fortifications around the front of the town and the hastati and front lines of the socii alae poured into the openings within the walls:

The first line of the Karthadastim garrison fell to the Romani and were cut down in droves. At the same time of the initial fighting at the openings of the walls and alleyways, the Romani sent troops to the Western and Eastern walls to overrun and then secure the openings to these sections of the city:

With these gates captured, the Romani began to cycle in troops from outside the wall to begin to overwhelm the Karthadastim levy inside:

As a result, the main road into the central plaza began to become the major fighting pocket within the city as the Roman troops continued to advance forward:

Despite the treacherous conditions within the road, the Romani continued to push forward and sent troops into the buildings to kill anyone throwing stones or shooting arrows from atop or within the buildings.

Before long, the front lines were ordered to shift men to the front as the lines began to wear down the enemy (and their own gladii):

And after the switch, the Romani cut down the Karthadastim garrison commander...

...as the city fell to the Romani:

The victory for the Romani, however sweet, did not actually mean very much in the grand scheme of the war. The Romani had succeeded in removing the majority of Karthadastim troops from the island, but were quickly defeated in northern Sardinia while attempting to continue moving southward.

The Romani would leave the island rid of the majority of Roman troops (for now) as they were recalled to Sicily. The important thing was that no Karthadastim troops remained on the island so close to Roma and that the Romani continued to deal small blows to the lands owned by the Karthadastim.

On Italy, another matter of importance had arisen for the Romani: conspiracy and rebellion. Near Roma, an army consisting of rebels, slaves, and supposedly allied soldiers was located. In response, the Romani sent Appivs Aemilivs Regillvs to confront the rabble:

The Romani lined up in standard manipular formation to face their foes...

The two sides clashed into one another and the Romani quickly began to overpower their opponents:

Despite having cavalry at their disposal, the rebels quickly were disposed of by the superior Roman infantry:

The Roman cavalry quickly killed any remaining troops (cavalry included) belonging to the rebel force:

Thus paving the way for a clear Roman victory over the rebellion and conspiracy against the Res Pvblica:

The Romani prepared to continue the fighting on Sicily in order to try and drive the Karthadastim from the island once and for all. However, this would take time and planning... and money to be successful. As the year 495 came to a close, the Romani prepared to retake the cities which they had lost the year prior...

...and attempt to gain those which they may have never had full control of.

Replies:

Predator1994: Thanks once again Predator.
    Last edited by EdwinMerit; November 01, 2012 at 03:13 PM.

Default Re: [EB AAR] ROMANI (A Historical Roman Campaign) [UPDATED 11/1/2012]

Awwwsssssoooommmmeee update.I have waited for this closely and visited the AAR forum each day.
    What can i say:great read and hopefuly in the next update i shall see an unified Sicily under Rome.
    P.S. :I'l rep you in the future day as now i "must spread some" before giving it to you again.
    Cheers Predator!

Another great update. Keep it going, it's very interesting to read.

CAPITVLVM III (Part VIII): Preparations

The Symbolic Corona Obsidionalis or "Grass Crown" of the Roman Military.
    This was awarded to those who performed an act which saved the entire army or legion.
    It was the highest military decoration one could ever receive.

496 AUC

The year of 496 Ab Urbe Condita began with some news worth hearing: Two sons of Roman Senatores had come of age to begin their studies in the city of Roma. These young men were just as ambitious and charismatic as their fathers (or so they appeared to be) and held the ultimate goal of leading Roma to glory. The men were to begin the studies in the city of Roma as soon as they were able and would continue to reside in the city in order to continue their studies until they came of age (20) to serve the Roman military as tribvnes militvm:

In addition to these young men, the former consvl Lvcivs Cornelivs Scipio was elected to the office of Censor alongside the former consvl Gaivs Dvilivs (who when he was the first man in his family to be elected to the position of consvl was given the title of novvs homo or 'new man'). Gaivs Dvilivs was the man responsible for Roma's greatest naval victory and was awarded the first naval triumph. However, the fact that he was elected to become censor after being the 'novvs homo' was truly considered a great honor since not many roman senatores were chosen to be a censor (especially not many who had little to no family name recognition).

As well as these two exciting developments coming from the great city of Roma, there was one more interesting and helpful story as the daughter of the Roman Senator Cnaevs Cornelivs Blasio, Minervina Cornelia Blasio, married the son of a powerful Senatorial family known as Svlla:

On Sicily, a Roman spy reported that the retreating forces of the Karthadastim who had conquered the Roman allied cities of Enna and Camarina last year were now headed for the city of Panorma (under Karthadastim control) in order to regroup:

A second espionage mission targeting the Karthadastim base of Lilibeo returned knowledge of a force massing in the city which would reinforce the army near Panorma for perhaps a second attack on the Romani controlled portion of the island.

No matter to the Consvl Avlvs Atilivs Calatinvs who aimed to quickly retake the cities of Enna and Camarina from Karthadastim garrisons and then turn his attention westward. He began by quickly attacking and seizing Camarina with the help of the allied city of Syracvsae. Many members of the Karthadastim garrison either surrendered to the superior Roman force, or fled the city altogether:

However, the local populace quickly allowed for the Romani to turn the city and region over to the city of Syracvsae to govern them. Roma may have had a large foothold in Eastern and Southern Sicily; however, due to the treaty in which the city of Syracvsae surrendered to the Romani, the city was able to continue to hold a fairly large region of Southeastern Sicily in which the city of Camarina was located.

Next was the city of Enna located in east-central Sicily. This city also fell with relative ease to the Romani and the march westward led by the consvl Avlvs Atilivs Calatinvs continued with no setbacks. With these two successes, the consvl ordered his army be moved to the city which had been put under siege by the Romani a few times, but never taken: Mytistraton.

The Romani marched on the city and after besieging it, were given the opportunity to defeat the garrison and small army defending the city:

The Battle of Mytistraton
    The Romani were met on the battlefield by a small, but fierce contingent of Karthadastim garrison soldiers and their garrison commander Hamilcar:

The Romani, however, were more than ready to finally overrun the garrison outside of the city and then be able to force the occupants of the city to surrender. The battle commenced as the city's occupants fate rest in the hands of the men on the field of battle:

The Roman soldiers lined up in the typical manipular formation as they began to approach their foes.

The front line of skirmishers consisting of leves and allied light infantry screened the lines of the Karthadastim garrison.

As the Roman skirmishers continued to screen the front of the Karthadastim army...

...they were forced to fall back as the foot infantry of the enemy army began to approach the Romani:

The first attack on the Roman lines quickly failed as the Karthadastim light infantry retreated to safer ground behind their stronger soldiers.

Before long, the two lines engaged each other as the fighting began to form a single line stretching from the left flank...

..to the center lines...

...to the right flank in a wooded area:

The majority of the smaller, yet strong Karthadastim soldiers were able to hold off the initial charge of the Romani. However, given enough time, and enough outmaneuvering, the Romani quickly began to gain the upper hand:

And after the Karthadastim commander Hamilcar was caught off guard by a swiftly moving group of Roman foot infantry...

He began to flee the field in an attempt to regroup what little forces he had left. Indeed the remaining forces would be quite depleted since they began to rout and were cut down or captured in mass numbers:

Some managed to escape through the forested areas and were able to cut through the ragged terrain to their bases at either Lilibeo or Panorma. However, the Romani were victorious, and in carrying the day...

...also captured the city which had eluded them for so long:

After capturing the city of Mytistraton, the Roman consvl Avlvs Atilivs Calatinvs ordered his soldiers to enslave the populace, kill any who resisted, and then sack the city of any and all things of value or supplies. Much of the small farms and lands surrounding the city were also destroyed as the Romani continued their policy of "surrender and survive; resist and be razed":

However, the Romani continued westward from the now abandoned city of Mytistraton, towards the stronghold of Lilibeo, and up to finally attack the fortress at Panorma:

Unfortunately for the Roman commander and his army, they were intercepted by an army belonging to the Karthadastim and were surrounded in an ambush by well hidden Karthadastim soldiers:

Realizing his grim future if he wasn't able to do something about the encirclement of his troops, consvl Avlvs Atilivs Calatinvs sent his most senior tribvne militvm, Marcvs Calpvrnivs Flamma, with 300 volunteers on a suicide mission to break a hole in the enemy's defenses. From there, the Romani could use their numbers and superior infantry to break the enemy lines and from there fight back across to defeat the remainder of the Karthadastim troops. The plan worked:

The majority of the men sent on the suicidal mission were slain by the Karthadastim soldiers, however, they had done their duty and were able to secure a small break within the Karthadastim encirclement that was exploited by the Roman soldiers:

The Romani secured the area and quickly were able to use their much improved position to engage the Karthadastim soldiers as they wished. Consvl Avlvs Atilivs Calatinvs ordered some of his men to sift through the bodies of the slain soldiers to see if any of his 300 volunteers, including Marcvs Calpvrnivs Flamma, had survived. For the most part, the results were bleak and death was prominent. However, in an almost miraculous turn of events, while one soldier was overturning the body of a slain soldier he saw movement below. After they pulled the man out of the pile, they found that it was indeed Marcvs Flamma and that he was certainly alive!

Inspired by the bravery of Flamma and his volunteers, the Romani chased the Karthadastim soldiers from the field and forced even their quickly moving cavalry to retreat towards their strongholds on the west coast of Sicily:

The Romani had won the day due to the bravery and sacrifices of many good men. For his bravery and determination to Roma and her armies, Marcvs Calpvrnivs Flamma received the Corona Obsidionalis or "Grass Crown." This symbolic crown was made of the organic materials found on the field of battle including grasses, flowers, leaves, and wheat. Receiving this was considered the ultimate honor for a soldier of the Roman army as it was the highest of any military decorations awarded by the Res Pvblica.

The Roman advance was not finished yet, however, as they were still determined to try and capture a city in the far reaches of the Karthadastim controlled portion of Sicily. This would require more than just inspiration and strong feelings, however, since the Roman consvl quickly called off the siege of Panorma in the northern portion of Sicily. He would retreat along the north of Sicily towards Messana before regrouping his forces in the middle of the Roman controlled east:

During 496 AUC, the Romani were able to obtain a naval victory near Svlci, Sardinia. The other Roman consvl Gaivs Svlpicivs Patercvlvs was in command of the Roman fleet and was responsible for ending one man's career...and life...
    This victory was minor, however, it was this loss which caused the men under Hannibal Gisco's command to rebel against him and lead him back to Karthadast under arrest where he was crucified for incompetence:

497 AUC

In 497 AUC the Romani began to attack Sardinia by land, however as aforementioned, would be defeated and would withdraw all of the troops to help in the war on Sicily as well as the next big Roman invasion target: Africa.

The Romani begin to amass their forces for an invasion onto Africa in which they would hope would put a quick end to the bloody conflict. However, the Romani would need to make sure to win a few more decisive naval battles in order to make the invasion practical.

Thus began the retraining and refitting of Roman triremes and qvinqveremes with supplies, soldiers, and of course, the corvi.

The current state of the SenatvsPopvlvsqveRomanvs:

and the situation on Sicily:

Also, the Second Syrian War began in the year 495 Ab Urbe Condita between the Empires of Ptolemy and Seleukia (with the help of Makedonia):

Replies:

Predator1994: Thank you once again! I hope that this isn't dragging out too much. I just want to try and add a level of detail to this AAR that makes it unique.

Dejeyo: Thank you! I am glad to see that you are enjoying it!
    Last edited by EdwinMerit; November 07, 2012 at 10:41 AM.

Default Re: [EB AAR] ROMANI (A Historical Roman Campaign) [UPDATED 11/6/2012]

Great.Again an awsome update and a great read.
    No, this is perfect timed and i am pleased you keep posting updates.
    Thank you for this awsome AAR.

Cheers Predator!

I see you are already planning to invade North Africa. Well done. I can't wait for another update!

Quote Originally Posted by Dejeyo View Post
    I see you are already planning to invade North Africa. Well done. I can't wait for another update!
    Me to.

Default Re: [EB AAR] ROMANI (A Historical Roman Campaign) [UPDATE COMING THIS WEEKEND]

Hey guys,

Sorry for the lack of an update as of recent. At first this week looked perfect for being able to get a few things done (including writing this portion of the AAR out), but it turned out to be just the opposite. This weekend, however, looks promising to be able to incorporate a massive update to ROMANI into my schedule (and it will happen!). Just writing to let you all know that I have started working on this update (just not quite able to finish it yet).

Cheers!

P.S. Thank you both Predator and Dejeyo for your continued enthusiasm in this AAR. I really appreciate both of your regular comments and suggestions.

edit: How could I forget to thank you as well Kybrothilian? Thanks to all who have held interest in this AAR and look forward to an update shortly.
    Last edited by EdwinMerit; November 16, 2012 at 07:18 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: [EB AAR] ROMANI (A Historical Roman Campaign) [UPDATE COMING THIS WEEKEND]

Great to hear!

Good to hear that! And don't worry about lack of updates. We all have our RL issues and it's completely understandable you didn't manage to update this week. Your AAR is really great and I have no problem waiting for an update no matter how long does it take.

Hey guys,

I know I promised a large update this weekend, but my opportunity to write such a large update was limited to Sunday night being that I continued to get called into work (I thought that I might actually have a day off...). Anyhow, I promised an update and so to make it up to you guys for my constant lack of consistency, here is part 1/3 of the new large update of the Roman Invasion of Africa. Part 1 deals with the massive naval battle of Cape Ecnomus. This battle is considered one of the largest naval battles in all of antiquity and so I figured that it earned a spot as the first of three mini-parts to this update. Stay tuned for tomorrow's update regarding the battle of Adys and the consequences that followed in part 2.

CAPITVLVM III (Part IX): Incvrsio Africae [1/3] (Battle of Cape Ecnomvs)

The Great Harbor of Carthage can be seen from quite a distance away. Even as far as from the Roman camp near Adys.

498 AUC

In the period leading up to the planned large-scaled invasion of Karthadastim controlled North Africa, the Romani had to take care of a few loose ends:

Proper sewers were constructed in the recently acquired city of Messana...

...governmental buildings were upgraded to accommodate the newly conquered town which previously belonged to Karthadastim allies, but was allowed to be self-determinate by the city of Syracvsae (until Roma saw a need to put an end to this)...

...and most importantly, the Roman Consvl Marcvs Atilivs Regvlvs needed to board his massive fleet in order to cross the Mediterranean Sea. However, whilst the Romani may have amassed a new large navy, the Karthadastim had one waiting for them:

This battle off the coast of Southern Sicily near Cape Ecnomvs would be regarded as the largest naval battle in all of antiquity, and also be considered one of the largest naval battles to ever take place:

(I know the scale is quite a ways off with what normally occurs in Total War games, but I felt like just including the actual numbers with this one since I think that the sheer scale was astounding. Also, image below courtesy of Wikipedia's main article on the Battle of Cape Ecnomus).

The two sides met as the Romani had moved their land-based troops and supplies into the supporting transport ships and set sail for the capital city of Karthadast. These ships were quickly moved into the center of the large fleet as they approached another massive fleet led by the Karthadastim commanders Hanno the Great who controlled the ships on the flanks of the main line led by Hamilcar (still not Barca):

(Images courtesy of Jonathan Webb at The Art of Battle Animated Battle Maps. Seriously, check out this guy's website and view some of his powerpoints. These animated battles are entertaining, informative, and free to view.)

The Roman consvles Marcvs Atilivs Regvlvs and Lvcivs Manlivs Vvlso Longvs formed a wedge at the front of their lines in order to make their corvi as useful as possible and lock together with as many ships as they could. In order to do this, however, the Romani would have to use their reserve ships to lock into combat with the fleets under the control of Hanno. This was because as the Romani moved their fleet forward to engage with Hamilcar, the center line under Hamilcar's control faded back allowing for Hanno to take his ships alongside the Romani. This effectively surrounded the Romani on all but one side and made it difficult for them to navigate their ships properly.

In addition to the Romani becoming outflanked, the 'triarii' squadron of the Roman fleet is unable to untangle itself from the transports that it is protecting (the rest of the transports had fallen back to safety). This effectively eliminates them from the fighting until they can right this situation and join the fighting. However, a bit of good thinking on the part of one of the Roman tribvnes who is in control of the flank closest to the coast of Sicily potentially saves the day for the Romani:

As the rest of the fleet is engaged in a tough battle, the left flank of Roman ships suddenly turns itself against the coast of Sicily so as to deny the larger Karthadastim flanking force the proper route to surround the ships. This move gives the Romani enough time to hold out for much longer than Hamilcar had planned, and as a result, his center breaks after taking heavy casualties.

The Roman consvles then turn their attention south to the right flank under assault by the naval commander Hanno. At this same time, the triarii squadron joins the fighting after setting their transport ships off to safety and, with the combined attack, quickly rout the Karthadastim commander Hanno and the majority of his fleet. The only obstacle to a clear and crushing Roman victory was the northern most portion of the Karthadastim fleet. After the Romani surrounded the ships belonging to the Karthadastim, the battle was over as the ships surrendered en masse:

Due to the nature of the battle and the large capture of enemy ships at the end of the battle, the Romani are able to retain nearly 80-90% of their fleet. The same could not be said for the Karthadastim though, as after the battle, their fleet dwindled to nearly half of its original strength:

An invasion of Africa now was not only feasible, but expected. The Karthadastim scrambled to gather their forces on Sicily to return to defend the city of Karthadast from the now imminent Roman Invasion:

Post Scriptvm
    Hope you enjoyed this first mini update that will be followed by two more parts in the follwng days. I know it isn't a lot, but I needed to definitely get something to you guys and this part was just about completely written already.

The Kybrothilian: Thanks again for your interest in this AAR! It has been great to have you as an active reader.

Dejeyo: Thank you for your understanding. Keeping busy is a good problem to have (as my grandfather always says), and it is certainly great to be able to return to such a positive group of readers when I do get a chance to update this AAR.

Lord of Cats's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: [EB AAR] ROMANI (A Historical Roman Campaign) [UPDATED 11/18/2012]

Another excellent update! I love the battle of Ecnomus. It was indeed the largest pre-industrial naval battle in history. Very fascinating. I am tempted to shout out to the Romani: "Don't invade Africa now! You'll be destroyed!" Because they will, if this AAR continues to follow history.

Indefinitely Banned

Great work! Not many AARs describe naval battles (Maybe the ones about newer TW games do), but you have done good job with it.

Yet another beutiful update.I never get enough of this AAR.Thank you!

Superb update. I like your detailed description of Battle of Cape Ecnomus and animated battle maps from The Art of Battle (Thanks for recommendation, it's very interesting site!). Well done!

CAPITVLVM III (Part IX): Incvrsio Africae [2/3] (Battle of Adys)

The Romani invasion route of Karthadastim controlled North Africa during the years 498 and 499 AUC (256-255 BC). The 3 main targets for the Romani were the cities of Adys, Tvnis (Atiqa), and the capital of Karthadast.

498 AUC (cont.)

Following their decisive victory at Cape Ecnomvs, the Roman consvles Marcvs Atilivs Regvlvs and Lvcivs Manlivs Vvlso Longvs were able to cross from Romani controlled Southeastern Sicily to the Region of North Africa with ease. Upon landing on Karthadastim lands, the Roman consvles moved quickly into Karthadastim territory and besieged the city of Apsis:

The Romani fortified their position and before long had forced the town to surrender through small armed conflicts and logistical nightmares. The Romani had tasted their first successes on soil well outside of their own.

After the capture of Apsis and the plundering of near 20,000 slaves and many forms of livestock and supplies, Roma ordered the junior consvl Lvcivs Manlivs Vvlso to return to Roma and bring with him the entire fleet as well as the transports. The time for new consvles to come into play in the war was drawing near, and Marcvs Regvlvs knew that in order to earn his trivmphvs in Roma, he would have to be able to do a number of great deeds. His first opportunity would arise shortly after the capture of Apsis at a city not far from Karthadast called Adys.

The Roman consvl set up his camp near the city of Adys after pursuing the fleeing Karthadastim force which had engaged with his army near Apsis. Rather than force the issue so early on, he settled on besieging a city well within striking distance of Karthadast.

The Karthadastim in this time, however, had begun to gather their forces to join with the Karthadastim commander Bostar. These men were mercenaries, militia, as well as fresh recruits who had seen little of the fighting that had taken place for nearly 10 years. They did have elephants and cavalry on their side though; something which the Romani always feared. Not entirely impressed with the way he believed his troops could handle the elephants, consvl Marcvs Atilivs Regvlvs ordered his men to surround the Karthadastim fortifications near the city of Adys under the cover of darkness. The Romani set up much of their camp on a hillside overlooking the Karthadastim and when morning broke...

...the Romani were ready to take full advantage of their position on the hilltop:

The Battle of Adys

The Roman consvl ordered his skirmishers forward to deal with much of the enemy elephants. The elephants would remain in reserve for Commander Bostar, but would not see much action in the fighting.

The Romani had a second attack ready for the Karthadastim since they had deployed surrounding much of the Karthadastim army. Shortly after the first attack was ordered, consvl Marcvs Regvlvs ordered his men to attack from the left flank as well:

The skirmishing favored the Romani heavily as many of the men under the command of Bostar had little to nothing to return fire with. Because of this advantage, the Romani ordered their leves to use as much of their ammunition as possible before returning to the ranks behind the triarii:

The Karthadastim line stayed strong, however, and began to brace for a two pronged assault from the Romani:

The Karthadastim soldiers fought extraordinarily well for their position and even began to push some of the Roman legion back up the hill:

However, the Romani fought back strong and the only thing in which the Karthdastim gained from this offensive was a proper route to allow for their elephants and cavalry to flee. Once the Romani had regained the upper-hand in the fighting, however, they quickly trapped the infantry in a kill box:

The men under the Karthadastim commander Bostar began to panic at the realization that they were all soon to perish. Bravely, however, the men fought to the death...

...but to no avail. The Romani quickly surrounded any fleeing infantrymen which had not fled too far (the lack of cavalry truly hampered the Romani from a true crushing victory) and killed them. The rest who were able to flee returned to the city of Karthadast whilst the Romani plundered the Karthadastim camp and declared it as their own:

The Romani had scored a decisive victory over their enemies and had left the people of Karthadast in disarray and panic. As news of the defeat reached the city of Karthadast, refugees and people from surrounding areas poured into the city. The resulting rise in crime, violence, and food shortages sparked more panic and chaos within the city.

Outside of the city, the news was even worse for the Karthadastim as their Numidian vassals rose up against their Karthadastim client rulers and demanded to be considered a separate entity altogether. Faced with such horrible conditions within the city and without, the Karthadastim sued for peace with the Romani.

The Roman consvl looked to be well on his way to receiving a trivmphvs in Roma and be considered the man who defeated the mighty Karthadastim. As he was about to have his term as consvl come to an end, consvl Marcvs Atilivs Regvlvs decided to attempt to impose harsh peace conditions upon the Karthadastim. The terms were such that Karthadast would cede all of Sicily, Sardinia, and Corsica to the Romani;they would have their navy disbanded and renounced; they would be forced to pay a hefty indemnity to the Romani; and also be reduced to vassal-like status.

Karthadast refused.

Instead, they decided to attempt to wait for a last ditch effort to attack the Roman consvl and his legions. While they were in a dire situation at home, the Karthadastim knew that Marcvs Regvlvs had neither the men, equipment, nor time to successfully besiege and capture the great city of Karthadast. So as the year 498 AUC came to a close, the two sides remained in their respective cities in North Africa, but still at war:

Replies:
    Warrior Cat: I'm glad you enjoyed the Battle of Cape Ecnomus as much as I did. I really can't wait for Rome II so that I can play that as a historical naval battle (it has to happen!). I know, it pained me to send the army to North Africa knowing full well what was going to happen to them. I am going to miss that crazy bastard Regulus. He was quite the up and coming Senator...

The Kybrothilian: Thank you very much! Glad to see that my incorporation of the naval battles (or attempt to atleast ) has been successful thus far.

Predator1994: No, thank you Predator! I am glad to see that you are enjoying this AAR as much as I am (except whenever history forces me to kill off some of my best soldiers...)

Dejeyo: Thank you Dejeyo! I am really happy to see that you not only liked the naval battles (they seem to be quite popular haha), but also really enjoyed the site as well! That place is very neat and I'm glad that I happened to come across it while looking for some discussions on the invasion of Africa. I'll have to add it to my list of sources on the front page for easier viewing.
    Last edited by EdwinMerit; November 20, 2012 at 07:24 AM.

Default Re: [EB AAR] ROMANI (A Historical Roman Campaign) [UPDATED 11/19/2012]

Yet another beutiful update.This AAR never ceses to amase me.Thank you!
    Cheers Predator!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast