Thread: Can you do an actual Trojan War style campaign?

Default Can you do an actual Trojan War style campaign?

I recently installed this mod and it is fantastic.

My only question is this: Can you do an Allied Greek invasion of Troy the way it is meant to be or is it every man for himself on the campaign map?

I assumed since it had so many similarities to the film version then it would also have conquest objectives the same.

Also, how long do the famous names live for? Because you start the game when the likes of Achilles and Hektor are in their late twenties. By the time you are ready to invade Troy they are old men!

Thanks
    Last edited by vlad06; August 19, 2012 at 05:48 AM.

delmat's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Can you do an actual Trojan War style campaign?

I doubt it..diplomacy in original rtw is very bad and as such it is bad in the most of rtw mods (without forced diplomacy or such things)..so on the campaign map you can have allies but to arrange allied greek invasion would be almost impossible as everyone attacks everyone without some logical or rational causes..the mod is very good and ambitious but rtw diplomacy is a downer..these are mine experiences..

So you have to go at it alone pretty much unless one of your allies sieges Troy and you quickly jump in to aid in the surrounding of the city?

delmat's Avatar Tiro

you have to go alone and hope that some of your greek neighbors (which historicaly should be your allies) won't attack you from several sides while you send your army to Troy..or yes you can wait until some of your real allies attacks troy and then rush in to help them..almost unexisting and stupid diplomacy is the main reason why I can't play rtw&medieval 2 campaings anymore (guess I'm spoilt with the ntw&shogun 2 diplomacy)..however you can still have fun playing ttw campaign but you should not be expecting any logical or historical story driven gameplay..everytime will be different..

What about the use of the main characters such as Agamemnon or Achilles? How did you find it with them?

delmat's Avatar Tiro

I haven't been using them as in movie or something like that..only for those battles mainly against unhistorical opponents..I also wasn't very happy by the way they are presented..this mod has a potential but it feels a bit rough around the edges sometimes and like it needs more love altough the idea and most of the work are great..I couldn't try Aristeia because I don't have Alex..
    Last edited by delmat; August 20, 2012 at 06:11 AM.

I think it would have been better if the main generals were incorporated into the second generation of the family trees within the game. Then by the time you are ready to invade Troy financially and technologically you could at least get the main characters at the right age and such.

Would you agree?

delmat's Avatar Tiro

I couldn't agree more..as you say when we are ready to invade enemies our main heroes are old men..too bad that it is nearly impossible to make a real invasion or real defence of Troy..when I played as Troy I fought with everyone (Lycians, Lydians, Hittites, Amazons) except the true Greek enemies, and Greeks fought among themselves..also some stupid things occured like Thracians conquering almost half of the Greece..as far as non linear campaigns are blessing in total war, sometimes (like in ttw) I would like them to be more story driven

Is it easy to mod and change around a little? I also found that it lacks music and wanted to get some of the soundtrack songs to play during the campaign map moments as it hardly does.

What is the add on by Elkar like?

delmat's Avatar Tiro

I don't know much about modding, I don't have nerves for it my modding peak is to unlock all factions in rome or medieval 2 or to change recruitment limits and unit availability in empire&napoleon tw and that's it..only thing that I know is that the modding of rome&medieval 2 is far more easier than modding the empire, napoleon or especially shogun 2..
    but these things that we mentioned, such as bad diplomacy or unlinear "everything-goes" campaign is nearly impossible to change drastically..sadly the modders are slaves of the game engine and CA's "unfriendly" relation toward's them because they don't want to help them with modding tools or by making games more moddable..

Ok fair enough. You played the Troy Total War add on? It is here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=308904

delmat's Avatar Tiro

no..but I will try it when I reinstall Rome TW..it's been almost a year since I last played it..but as I wrote before, after these new games it's kinda hard to return to rome..I love the feeling and battles but the campaign gameplay kills me..

For all its faults I still greatly enjoy Rome. The AI is rubbish but still fun I think.
    Last edited by vlad06; August 22, 2012 at 12:36 PM.