Thread: ATC Small Arms Mod

Default ATC Small Arms Mod

ATC SMALL ARMS MOD

This is the first version (and a relatively simple one) of my small arms and projectiles mod. I have only implemented the very basic features in this release, but the mod is tested, stable and very enjoyable. It will be updated periodically in the future as I have time to do more work on it. The more advanced features and additions are still a WIP (please be patient), but I decided to release these basic features as a stand-alone mod since I have been having so much fun with it!

DETAILS:

New Physics Effects:
    Spoiler for New Physics Effects

NTW has pretty good physics for a RTS warfare game. However, it definitely has some short-comings, some of which totally bewilder me, as they seem intentional. One of these is the fact that all of the small arms fire (i.e., musketballs) fly like laser beams and eventually fade away and disappear from the game world as they zoom off into outer space. This is a bit silly... To fix this problem, in this mod I have enabled the NTW physics system (i.e., gravity) on all small-arms fire, artillery projectiles that had no gravity, shrapnel, many particles and various other types of projectiles and particles. Basically, physics is now enabled on everything that flies in NTW with a few exceptions (I did not fool with arrows, throwing weapons or anything which I wasn't sure what it was -- just a few things). I left these few things alone because I haven't had the time to test them, can't test them or they are "hard-coded" to fly in a specific fashion outside the scope of the physics system.

This has a notable effect on gameplay. Musketballs and other projectiles don't fly on and on forever; they drop. This looks far more realistic and makes the volleys of line infantry and peppering, selective fire of light infantry, skirmishers and snipers behave realistically. You will see musketballs and other flying objects travel with life-like, arcing trajectories, hit the ground, skip and ricochet and act like real bullets, shrapnel, etc. Shrapnel, burning debris and embers and several types of effects are much better and more life-like. Cool things begin to happen... for instance, you will sometimes see bullets fall short of their target only to bounce off the dirt and miraculously strike another guy right between the eyes and kill him (and it doesn't happen too much to spoil it or make it cheap and unrealistic). Without this mod, bullets that ricochet just fly off on a deflected vector (direction) and zoom off into space. With the mod, you will see bullets hit the ground, bounce up and fall back to the ground again like real bullets. They sometimes "skip" like rocks on water, and occasionally find targets you never expected them to hit -- especially when fighting is raging in rocky hills or around other structures with lots of surfaces!

This gets rid of the "dead-eye" accuracy that infantry units in game have. It adds a new dimension to marksmanship you don't get with the "vanilla" projectiles. The vanilla projectiles fly in perfectly straight lines and the accuracy of gunfire is effected only by the accuracy modifier values for the unit and weapon, which add a slight offset to the linear vector in which the bullet travels. No longer! Like in the real world, an infantryman will often be aiming for a man's chest and hit him in the leg or stomach. It really makes things look and feel much cooler! What makes this part of the mod all the better, I think, is that implementing this feature was so incredibly simple that it literally took me all but a few minutes -- and the mod is very small in size!

New Ammunition:
    This mod also includes the first of several new types of ammunition I will be implementing: an early form of the infamously deadly miniball, which would later come into widespread use in the Crimean War and American Civil War and change the world forever! After some experimentation and testing, I found some reasonable values (in comparison to other projectiles) for the miniball's stats. Thus far I have been quite pleased with the results. In the hands of one of my new elite light-infantry units, it has proven very deadly and fun! That new unit, btw, will likely be released by tomorrow (8/19/12) night.

To use the miniball ammo with your own unit mods/addons, you need only make one very simple edit. In your "unit_stats_land" file, simply change the field for "Projectile ID Ref" to "miniball" and, voila, your men will start using the miniball to slaughter their foes!

INSTALLATION:

Installation is as simple and straightforward as this mod. Download the mod, and stick the .pack file in your NTW data folder (found at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\napoleon total war\data" for most users). Then activate the mod by following these simple steps:

Open your user.script file, which can be found (for most users) at this path:

"C:\Users\*YOUR USER NAME*\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Napoleon\scripts"

NOTE: Obviously, you must change the "*YOUR USER NAME*" part to your Windows username. For me, it would be "C:\Users\ATC\..."

Then add the following line:

Code:
    mod "ATCSA.pack";
    ...and enjoy!

Again, this is a very simple mod but adds a lot to the NTW experience. And the new miniball is... how should I put it?... pretty freakin awesome!

I just wanted to get the show started, and let people start having fun with something I enjoy using a lot. But this mod will be greatly extended in the future. I'm doing a lot of research to tune up NTW's projectiles to realistic standards, and I will be adding quite a few new ammunition types, guns and other things -- turning this into a mod package. Some of my new WIP unit types will utilize these new ammunition and weapons types. There will soon be realistic shotguns, for example, among other things. So enjoy this little tweak while I keep working on a bigger release!

Regards,

Default Re: ATC Small Arms Mod

Very nice +rep

edit, can't already gave u some lol

The new unit type utilizing the new miniball ammunition is complete and ready for download here! Check it out and enjoy!

Think you could make us a video or some screenshots? still can't rep you

Quote Originally Posted by Chosen Man Lt. Richard Sharpe View Post
    Think you could make us a video or some screenshots? still can't rep you
    Surely!

Minieball actually

Nice mod, im just about to try it and it sounds very promising
    Proud member of the great TkD Clan and resident of the Kingdom of Sweden

Steam name: nfselephants/ Archduke Sven

Congratulations good mod, I like it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LotsofxXandzZ View Post
    Minieball actually

Nice mod, im just about to try it and it sounds very promising
    To be even more correct it's "Minié ball", named for one of its primary developers: Claude-Étienne Minié! But "miniball" is also an acceptable, "American-ized" spelling. haha

Anyways, let me know how you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by chiwy View Post
    Congratulations good mod, I like it. Thanks.
    Thank you! It really is surprising how much such a small and simple mod (that took no great skill or planning to produce) can add to the game. The gunfire just feels "natural" and life-like when it behaves with simple gravity effects!

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

One question. The gravity effect is visible because you have the tracers on, no?
    If you have no tracers, how does the player feel the change?

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    One question. The gravity effect is visible because you have the tracers on, no?
    If you have no tracers, how does the player feel the change?
    Not sure I follow? What do you mean?

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

In some mods the "tracer" are removed, so you cannot see the trajectories of the bullet. Then you can't really tell they are going straight and are not following gravity.

Ah, I see. Well, it adds to the realism of bullet/projectile trajectories and adds a new dimension to unit accuracy. It results in a change to the kill/death ratios on the field. You also get notably better and more realistic performance from things like canister shot. I believe it slightly increases canister lethality, as the bucks skips across the dirt and still wound and kill like the real thing. You get the same effect from volleys of musket fire. It also adds a more life-like "curve" to missile weapon lethality at different ranges. So if you're not using tracers you may not be able to look at it and say "Wow! This is radically different!", but it does make a critical change.

Like it, any chance of some pics or a video?