SPOILERS AHEAD (you have been warned!)
OK, this has been bothering me for a while. Just whose side is Varys really on?
A quick re-cap of what we know
* He worked for the previous Targaryen ruler but did nothing to stop his death
* He is in league with Ilyrio to support Dany Targaryen and bring her back to westeros with a Dothraki horde to re-take the throne
* His mate Ilyrio gave her 3 dragon eggs (did they expect them to hatch or not?)
* But he also has Ser Jorah in his pay spying on Dany.
* He encourages and then enacts King Roberts order to assassinate Dany, only foiled by a moment of concience from Ser Jorah (was he behind the attempt that Barristan/Whitebeard foiled as well? I can't remember)
* He encourages Ned to admit to a crime he didn't commit, so he could take the black and prevent war, not knowing the Joff would kill him anyway (unless he had whispered in Joff's ear that it would be the "manly" thing to do? )
* He helps Tyrion escape, who then goes and kills Tywin against Varys's wishes, pushing Cersei over the edge
* But he's happy with crazy Cersei, telling Kevan what a "great job" she was doing of sending the realm to rack and ruin
* Right before he kills Kevan
So I'm confubbled right now. Basically he's trying to cause as much chaos in Westeros as possible, whilst aiding the Targaryen's in exile,so it would seem he is trying to pave the way for their return. Except he tried to have Dany killed. More than once
So then I'm thinking - aha! He's an agent for The Others, sowing chaos and paving the way for their conquest. Except his partner Ilyrio gave Dany 3 dragons.....
His stock of answer when asked who he works for is always "for the good of the realm", how is all this good for the realm?