Thread: Byzantine issues

Default Byzantine issues

Playing as the Byzantines, I would like to know a few things concearning this faction. I've tried to ask these questions in other threads, but without any luck so I'll post it here. Hopefully I get some answers from someone who knows and would like to help.

1. I'm going to change the Parthian names to proper Byzantines ones but can't seem to find the descr_names_lookup? I've located the descr_names and the names in the text files, but not the lookup?

2. How come all the units can't be recruited. I can't recruit Excubitors, Varangians, Menlaviatoi, Naptha throwers, Trizinoi Toxotai, Klibanophroi and Kataphracts? How come?

Thanks.

Default Re: Byzantine issues

1. The descr_names_lookup should be located in the rome folder of your chivalry installation, path example:
    C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data

2. They are recruitable if you have the latest version (including 0.44a hotfix). Go to the building browser, if there isn't an imperial armoury and the imperial barracks or these buildings are there but you can't recruit the above mentioned units in them you're probably running an old version. Some chivalry units are restricted to specific regions (and/or hidden resources).
    (aka) Teutonic Knight
    (aka) TK

The Black Reaper's Avatar Hell's Gate

and thats what i love about the game... gotta have tactics about moving your best units from your homelands to the frontlines to fight the war...

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.0 GHz | CPU Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 + | Mobo: Asus m4a79xtd evo
    Ram: Corsair XMS3 2x4GB DDR3 1333 MHz | PSU: Antec Truepower 650W | GPU: Evga Geforce GTX 580

Under the Patronage of the Honorable Nicholas Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master of the Order
    1. The descr_names_lookup should be located in the rome folder of your chivalry installation, path example:
    C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data).
    Nope, it's not in the Chivalry Data folder. I've only located the names in the text folder and the descr_names in the Data folder but no descr_names_lookup.

Is there really no one here who made this mod who knows this? Weird.

2. They are recruitable if you have the latest version (including 0.44a hotfix). Go to the building browser, if there isn't an imperial armoury and the imperial barracks or these buildings are there but you can't recruit the above mentioned units in them you're probably running an old version. Some chivalry units are restricted to specific regions (and/or hidden resources).
    I only installed the patch, perhaps that wasn't enough then. I'll give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Joar
    Nope, it's not in the Chivalry Data folder.
    Thats right, but I haven't claimed that. I "said":

The descr_names_lookup should be located in the rome folder of your chivalry installation, path example:
    C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data.

This is where I found it in all of my different 5 installed Mods (chivalry included).
    You won't find it in chivalry/data.
    (aka) Teutonic Knight
    (aka) TK

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

The lookup file isn't used I think.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

@ Joar
    I searched the totalwar.org-Forum, maybe this is helpful:

change names:
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=39908
    add/remove names:
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=51376

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca
    The lookup file isn't used I think.
    I think you're right, but that wasn't his question in the first place.
    (aka) Teutonic Knight
    (aka) TK

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master of the Order
    @ Joar
    I searched the totalwar.org-Forum, maybe this is helpful:

change names:
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=39908
    add/remove names:
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=51376
    Thanks for the help, but I already know how to edit and change names, but I never knew that the lookup actually isn't needed. Well, well, you learn something new every day. When I change names I basically never deletes names from the text files, I just ad the new ones to the old and remove the ones I don't want to pop up in the descr_names and that has always worked fine.

Thanks for the help, guys. I will try it out and report back...

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

There are problems involved with changing the names in chivalry with pretty obscure reasons (ctds and no show_err). I hope you won't notice, but if you do, don't despair

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Thatīs strange, considering some other mods seem to be able to change names without trouble. Or is it maybe a 1.5 issue? It could very well be.
    Life is a sequence of missed opportunities

Shadow_Imperator's Avatar Italo/Aussie hayseed

I can't build 'Trizinoi Toxotai' even with all military buildings constructed....
    "We are unable to choose the circumstances of our creation, and few of us choose our demise.
    However, as intelligent creatures of freewill, we are gifted, privileged, and so very fortunate; that we are able to choose the manner, in which we choose live". - Me

(If you like my quote or agree with it, you are welcome to add it to your own sig!).
    Under the patronage of Bulgaroctonos - PROTECTOR of the FAITH