Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: ++RIO'S 463AD IBFD HUN and JUSTINIAN DISCUSSION++

Default ++RIO'S 463AD IBFD HUN and JUSTINIAN DISCUSSION++

The year is 432AD or 463AD. In 423AD,the Roman Empire was losing ground. By 463AD Most Barbarian factions had settled on the once powerful Roman lands and they looked to further expand.

The Western Roman Empires Northern boarders were in 463AD what they were at the time of Caesar. Most Barbarian factions had settled on the once powerful Roman lands and they looked to further expand. Unfortunately for Rome, the once Jewel of the empire, it had become the barbarians great prize.

It would take a mighty Roman ruler to once again reclaim its might or better yet, a mighty Eastern Roman ruler to bring back the empires glory...or again yet, a new barbarian faction to prove its prowess and mettle and become the new worlds greatest empire.
    Last edited by Riothamus; February 12, 2007 at 10:33 PM.

Ramon Gonzales y Garcia's Avatar Nobleza y Valor

Default Re: Rio's 463AD IBFD mod

am looking forward to release
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia

INVASIO BARBARORVM II

Proud patron of Riothamus, Pompeius Magnus and SeniorBatavianHorse
    If we had gone so far, it is because we stand on the shoulders of giants

The Sarmatian flag I think works in good with the Northmen and also the Roxolani flag for the Picts. The Northmen troops are similar to the Saxons but other units such as the chosen Axemen and the chosen archer and a few others were incorporated into The Northmen faction.
    the Picts troops are also similar to the Celts but they differ in that they have barbarian cavalry and the only female warriors:the semi legendary Argona archers and others.
    With new releases of other mods such as Vlads, I hope to incorporate totally new units for the Picts and Northmen. but that's after the first release. Maybe a good skinner could make alterations to the existing units to make it more historically accurate.
    Last edited by Riothamus; July 13, 2006 at 12:31 AM.

I'm about 75%b done with balancing out the factions. I had a whale of a time with the Romano British because of their immensely powerful army that spawns. It wasn't the size so much as the strength the computer gives them. I've added:
    1 a 4 year per turn will be in the game starting at 463ad. It will work the same way it does in the IBFD 5.2.3
    2 I'm now hoping to add 2 new units for the Northmen and 2 for the Pict's.
    3 I'm trying to figure out how to implement campaign descriptions in the provincial campaign.
    4 The resources in each province are done a little differently. Ice relayed this reason, "I left the icons out to eliminate super rich regions, which allowed the AI or the player to spam countless army stacks. With 199 regions, the game can quickly degenerate into one super rich AI faction, spamming countless stacks, which will also cause the AI turns to slow down and eventually freeze up". Ice Torque. Which makes sense to me.
    5 Peasant provinces sometimes(very rarely) WILL REBEL AGAIN! and depending on the faction ownership in the decre strat and descre regions that faction Will appear as the province new owner. With moving Factions appropriate to history, (463ad), it may seem a bit weird to see Vandal uprising in where they were once a horde about 60 years ago but this is very rare event. If I change all the descre region and strat faction ownerships to what they were in 463ad, I found random crashes occurred. Rebellions occur more with peasants changing over to the WRE. It's kind of cool to see a province in former Spain rebel to a WRE province. but I found this a very rare event. Any questions please feel free to ask...
    Also I wanted to post here some historical info about factions and their faction leaders so enjoy :original:
    The ancient Slavs were known for building wooden fortified settlements. The reconstructed Proto-Slavic word for such a settlement is *gord, related to the Germanic *gard.

''Gords were built during the late Bronze and early Iron Ages by the people of the Lusatian culture, and later in the 7th - 8th centuries CE in modern-day Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Poland, Czech Republic and eastern Germany (in Lusatia). These settlements were usually founded on strategic sites such as hills, riverbanks, lake islands or peninsulas.'' From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Last edited by Riothamus; July 15, 2006 at 01:24 PM.

A few questions:

1. Aren't the Huns going to be a super faction with all those provices from start?

2. Since the grand days of the Huns were more or less over by this time, perhaps the Avars would be a better choice as the new "step menace"? ( And I'm not talking about making a brand new faction here, just switching names basically ).

3. Will you give the Slavs proper Slavic names instead of the current Germanic ones? I've been thinking about doing this myself, but first I need a good source on Slavic names?

4. Have You switched the Vandals and the Goths ( Ostro- and Visi ) from Nomad culture to barbarian?

Regarding slavic names here: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategor...owia%C5%84skie you can find good source (in polish but names are names - just notice word "następne 200" what means "next 200" on the bottom of the page to go for next names).
    Regards

1. "Aren't the Huns going to be a super faction with all those provices from start?"

Some very good questions joar. It would appear with such a huge empire at the start, the Huns would roll through the factions as if it was 440ad again. But after a few turns there will be a serious rebellions, tearing apart the hunic empire and theres very little a human player can do about it. This I tried to set up historically as it was in 463ad. The Huns still had a vast empire but it crumbles fast.

2. "Since the grand days of the Huns were more or less over by this time, perhaps the Avars would be a better choice as the new "step menace"? ( And I'm not talking about making a brand new faction here, just switching names basically )."

Yes, in hindsight the grand days in 463ad were gone but the Huns were still a potential power. If they could once again find a strong ruler such as Attila, there was a possibility of again regaining its past glory. This may be a matter of opinion but I see a new steppe menace such as the Avars a few decades away.

3. "Will you give the Slavs proper Slavic names instead of the current Germanic ones? I've been thinking about doing this myself, but first I need a good source on Slavic names?"

No. but it sounds like a good idea. I could do this in the next release. Your help would be appreciated.

4. "Have You switched the Vandals and the Goths ( Ostro- and Visi ) from Nomad culture to barbarian?"

Yes. Both cultures and Vandals are now barbarian with starting homelands-and they can no longer horde. In 463 the Ostrogoths were wedged between the Empire Roman west and the empire roman east. The Ostrogoths end up conquering the German Odoacer( German usurper and controlled what was left of the Roman empire) in 493 thus gaining control of the Italian peninsula. The Goths are now called the Visigoths and as in 463ad they were settled in S Gaul but were invading Iberian peninsula defeating the Suevi and Alan tribes that were once horded with the Vandals.

It may come in handy
    Last edited by Riothamus; July 18, 2006 at 08:15 PM. Reason: link not accurate

Sanskrit_Bandit's Avatar Wielki Kniaź Wiślański

i wouyldnt use that source matrix gave. most of those names are from the 15th, 16th, and 17th centuries. plus the spelling would not be very good at representing proto-slavic names.
    i strongly advise against the wikipedia source.

When I look at this list I see lot of names mentioned in IX or X century chronicles, or even similar to mentioned in byzantine chronicles.
    But if you think it isn't good just propose better.

well, those names would be fine then, but i know the majority are renaissance names. thats why id be careful. the 10th c ones can be used but keep in mind the polish version would look alot different from the protoslavic one, allowing if that name was even used by the proto-savs (also alot of those names are strictly polish, meaning they wouldnt have been used before the 10th c.).
    i would give a better source but i think thats near impossible, or atleast very difficult. the best way to find proper protoslav names would be looking thru ancient sources that mentioned them and their leaders, but even those would not give the native name, but a variation understandable to the foreign writer who would have collected these names.

Yes Polak966, but it is big job and I'm afraid it is too much to expect non slavic man to dig through all those sources.
    But there is way out (also requiring some work) - to select most generic and appropriate from the list I've posted. It will be tough for non polish, so...

Hans Kloss's Avatar J-23

well I guess I could do that for IBFD and then Riothamus can use it in his mod.I'm not sure which of those names listed by wiki would be appropiate for 5th century Slavs but I can give it a try

There's very little information about the Slavs during the fifth century. They remind me of the Celts throughout Europe before the Roman invasions in the sense of them being a loose confederation of tribes... Sort of a mythical faction until(unlike the Celts) they managed to polarize into a powerful civilization. I think the Slavic names is a good idea as posted by Matrix33. It brings in some needed diversity. We just have to make sure the names are close enough to the dark age period. Don't give up on this idea. Hans, that would be great if we can dig up the old names.

I can't seem to find any of the names on that wikipedia site link, and since I don't speak Polish I can't navigate my way around. Are there any other source of names around?

Quote Originally Posted by Joar
    I can't seem to find any of the names on that wikipedia site link, and since I don't speak Polish I can't navigate my way around. Are there any other source of names around?
    Just try to activate link from my post, not from Riothamus quote. It seems something gone wrong during copy/paste. But I've checked and my link is working.
    And Riothamus - it is actually Joar's idea to be honest.

there is also a list of czech/slovak names on the english version of wikipedia if you search for slavic names. those might be a help too, and the spelling will be a more universal slavic form, because polish is unique in alot of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix33
    Just try to activate link from my post, not from Riothamus quote. It seems something gone wrong during copy/paste. But I've checked and my link is working.
    And Riothamus - it is actually Joar's idea to be honest.
    Right, thanks! Now it works. Those names sounds good to me, but then again I'm not Slavic myself so I can't really say. And by the way, what do you mean "Joar's idea"? You mean the name changing? Well, it was merely my suggestion but everyone who feels like helping out with this is most welcome.

Here's a selection of WIP names I picked out, I would appreciate some feedback on it - perhaps some needs to be added and some needs to go?

EDIT: Check out the next page for the "latest version" of the names list.
    Last edited by Joar; July 18, 2006 at 04:04 PM.

Hans Kloss's Avatar J-23

Let's try to pick some names that could be suitable for IBFD (going as far as letter M)

Cestmir
    Chociebor
    Chociemir
    Dalebor
    Dalegor
    Dalemir
    Falibor
    Goscimir
    Goscirad
    Izbor
    Jarogniew
    Jaromir
    Lasota
    Lederg
    Lelistryj
    Lubgost
    Luboradz
    Ludomir
    Ludziwoj
    Lutobor
    Lutogniew
    Lutomir
    Manomir
    Mezamir
    Miestwin
    Mirogod
    Mironieg

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Kloss
    Let's try to pick some names that could be suitable for IBFD (going as far as letter M)
    Why would IBDF be different than other BI mods when it comes to Slavic names? And why only stretch it to the letter "M"?

Joar, your list is ok in my eyes - you seem to have good feeling of slavic names. Maybe little, unknown slavic blood in your veins? Joking, sorry... However there are some names I would remove as being clearly out of time frame. Those are following:
    Bartosz
    Blazej
    Kazimierz (hmm, maybe this could stay in form "Kasimir")
    Waclaw
    Warcislaw
    Zbyszko (it is Zbigniew in fact but as Johnny for John)
    Those are the ones I've noticed. However I'm not expert so if somebody notice any other problems I would ecourage to tell it.
    And yes Joar, I meant that proposal of slavic names had came from you (and all props should go you).
    Regards
    Last edited by Matrix33; July 18, 2006 at 12:48 PM.

Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast