Thread: Roman Unit names of the 6th century

Default Roman Unit names of the 6th century

I was watching some of your previews and I came across this picture of a unit.
    [IMG]file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///tmp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///tmp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]
    Does anyone know the name of this unit.

[IMG]file:///tmp/moz-screenshot-5.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///tmp/moz-screenshot-6.png[/IMG]I don't think I uploaded the picture correctly, so I added a link to the page I found it on.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=280769

It is the first Roman unit on the page.

I think I failed to upload the picture properly so I added the link for the page I found it on.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=280769

It is the first Roman unit.
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; August 11, 2012 at 06:26 AM.

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

Default Re: Unit name

Do you mean this one?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It's the Quinta Macedonia, isn't it?

exactly, the Legio V Macedonia. Let me say that this is an early version from our model maker empio. Meanwhile we have an updated model with many more details and an improved shield symbol.

Also, what are the Makedones.

Do you mean the soldiers of the Legion or the people of Makedonia?

I think i said it wrong. I found it in this link. It says that there was a unit call the macedoni stationed in Egypt.
    http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat.htm...view=entrypage

Also will the unit Regii be similar to the traditional roman units?
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; August 11, 2012 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by romano britones View Post
    It says that there was a unit call the macedoni stationed in Egypt.
    ...mentioned in several egyptian Papyri of the 6th century as Kuintanoi or Makedones - yes. They were garrinsoned there. At least a detachment of them.
    But I hope you don't want check now our AoD2-units one by one
    At the moment we cannot give a list of our roman units.
    Right now I'm writing the last chapters (and painting the last grafics) of my "try" for a Notitia Dignitatum of the 6th century. The book is hopyfully available somewhere this year.
    Probably a good option for all Justinian-o-phile people or people with interests in the sixth century warfare.
    But again, at the moment we have integraded round about 30 Roman infantry with at least 22 different models (just for the infantry!) So, you can expect a huge unit pool for the Romans.

by the way:
    if you want add new information to your posts please try to use the "edit" button:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; August 11, 2012 at 02:43 PM.

Default Re: Roman Unit names of the 6th century

Regarding both Legions I have analyzed several excavation reports from Scythia (bricks and tiles are important).
    I fear that nearly all forts were destroyed by the hunnic invasion in the 440s. (execpt 1 fortress - it seems that this garrison has changed the sides since the fort was probably still occupied by the same unit). If there is a part which has survived until the 6th century than probably a detachment of the Iovii - as indicated by one fortress - but their status was that of all other roman units. Since there are still some fortifications near the black sea and the danube area are left which are basically unexcavated I have the hope that the future brings more information to the daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompeius Magnus View Post
    ...mentioned in several egyptian Papyri of the 6th century as Kuintanoi or Makedones - yes. They were garrinsoned there. At least a detachment of them.
    But I hope you don't want check now our AoD2-units one by one
    At the moment we cannot give a list of our roman units.
    Right now I'm writing the last chapters (and painting the last grafics) of my "try" for a Notitia Dignitatum of the 6th century. The book is hopyfully available somewhere this year.
    Probably a good option for all Justinian-o-phile people or people with interests in the sixth century warfare.
    But again, at the moment we have integraded round about 30 Roman infantry with at least 22 different models (just for the infantry!) So, you can expect a huge unit pool for the Romans.

by the way:
    if you want add new information to your posts please try to use the "edit" button:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Thanks for the information and I look forward for the release of your book.