Thread: Inheritance and technology

Default Inheritance and technology

Hello, fellow gamers.

I have several questions to which I seek answer, concerning Crusader Kings 1.

1) Once, I started the game as a count of Hradec Kralove. I married my firstborn son Oldrich to the daughter of the count of Opava, hoping that I would inherit his title. Here goes the first question - do I really have to wait for his daughter to get 16 years old? Isn't there some way to get them betrothed before that or something?

2) I married my son to her, and assasinated the only son of the count of Opava, so that he would not inherit. So the situation was that he had several daughters, one of them was married to my son. They didn't have a child yet. But, it happened that suddenly the title of the count of Opava changed the bearer and someone else became a count. So, first thing is - if this happens, will the future son of Oldrich still inherit the title of Count of Opava, or not? And second - if not, how am I supposed to inherit lands by marrying into other dynasty, if the AI liege of the ruler of the mentioned dynasty will change the title-bearer at the last moment, so that I won't inherit?

I really hope for an answer to this.
    Thanks in advance.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: Inheritance and technology

1. Yes, use the "Arrange Betrothal" button in the diplomacy screen which I'm sure you did because that's the only way to propose marriage to someone under 16. You can't actually marry them until they are 16 though. Otherwise you're just marrying children and that makes you a pedophile

2. You'll have to more research into the county of Opava and their succession laws because you can't just pick who your heir is going to be. Even the AI can't. Check the new heir, perhaps he is the son of the son you assasinated. In which case he would inherit (I think). Also check their succession laws, they might have "Elective Monarchy" (although I doubt it)

Thanks for funny reply.

1) Are you sure we are both talking about Crusader Kings 1? ... I know there is this bethrothal option in Crusader Kings 2, but I think I haven't seen it anywhere in the CK 1 diplomacy interface.

2) But the thing is that the original count of Opava (former) was still alive, when someone else got his title. So the title was not INHERITED. So it's not about the succession law. It looked just like the AI liege of the count (probably the duke of Bohemia) just stripped his off his title and put there someone else. ... It looked right like the AI saw that I'm going to inherit the title, and did this because of that. But I don't really believe it, because it would be too complex AI behaviour, and because if AI would behave like that in CK 1, the player would not have a chance to inherit anything.

I seem to remember betrothal being in ck1.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by aoirira View Post
    Thanks for funny reply.

1) Are you sure we are both talking about Crusader Kings 1? ... I know there is this bethrothal option in Crusader Kings 2, but I think I haven't seen it anywhere in the CK 1 diplomacy interface.
    Oh CK1, sorry. I missed that in the first post. Even still though, I haven't played CK1 in a long time and when I did I was very confused but I seem to remember a betrothel button
    2) But the thing is that the original count of Opava (former) was still alive, when someone else got his title. So the title was not INHERITED. So it's not about the succession law. It looked just like the AI liege of the count (probably the duke of Bohemia) just stripped his off his title and put there someone else. ... It looked right like the AI saw that I'm going to inherit the title, and did this because of that. But I don't really believe it, because it would be too complex AI behaviour, and because if AI would behave like that in CK 1, the player would not have a chance to inherit anything.
    To be honest, just sounds like the AI messing around. I really, really doubt they did it because you were going to inherit. Either the Duke of Bohemia didn't like the count of Opava or, more likely, just random AI behaviour