Thread: A Chaplain's collection of stories

Default A Chaplain's collection of stories

I guess it's time to get completely integrated with the full writer community here on the TWC.

My AARs currently on the TWC

The Kingdom of Ionia - A Roman Reinterpretation of the Crusades

It is remarkable that the Kingdom of Ionia had survived for as long as it did. A brief twenty years of violent and often times quite bloody history exists only in rumors and hearsay. Little archeological evidence supports the existence of such a kingdom. However, the presence of three newly unearthed coins inscribed with Rex S. Pap. Cra dating back to this period seem to suggest that at one point or another, something of this Kingdom of Ionia must have existed...

With the Lions of Caesar: From Siscia to Bathinus - A Soldier's Recollection of the Pannonian Revolt

When I was eleven, Gnaeus Juventius Pavo had been my best friend. We grew up next to each other in the newer apartment insulae of Ostia. In the summer, we raced with the other boys through the wide winding streets to the docks and watched ships from different seas across the world being tugged into their respective lanes. When boredom overtook us, our destinations often turned to the waves and the beach. There, the bigger boys challenged each other to a race to an island in the distance while we built up mounds of wet sand and pretended to be soldiers assaulting a stronghold. In the afternoon, muddy and sun-burnt, we sat along the dock. Each of us would have bought some exotic fruit or other edible from a newly arrived merchant. Different merchants were pointed out and their origins guessed. As the sun rose higher, our group inevitably drifted back towards the beach to lie on the cool wet sands, pointing at the sky. When the shadows of the ship masts began tilting to the east, we picked up our clothes and shuffle back towards the insulae.

Beyond TWC

Outside of the AAR and TWC community, I'm a Kindle author with my own line of historical fiction under the pen name Joseph Hunley (those of you who know me on a more personal level will know that my name is something entirely different )

My current Kindle works are part of my Fifty Tales from Rome collection (which had been floating around the Creative Writing forums for a while before I decided to individually publish each tale). The collection isn't vast by any means but should prove to be somewhat entertaining.

All my works from Fifty Tales from Rome are available for free through the Kindle Owner's Lending Library.

The Sands of Carrhae

Bittersweet Homecoming

The Waters of Actium

Last edited by chaplain118; October 10, 2012 at 12:24 PM.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Default Re: A Chaplain's collection of stories

I didn't know you publish books/stories as well Interesting stuff! Do you find it a good way of publishing? It's always hard to imagine how succesful these things can become...

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

I like, I like!!! Your published works look very interesting!
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by Boustrophedon View Post
    I didn't know you publish books/stories as well Interesting stuff! Do you find it a good way of publishing? It's always hard to imagine how succesful these things can become...
    ebooks are surprisingly easy to make and sell. The hard work is more in marketing to people on impulse buys. Certain genres are ideal for those kind of impulse buys.

Historical fiction is a bit tougher but certainly not impossible. I haven't quite figured out the most effective ways of targeting this market yet.

As for success, I've always remind myself of the Stalin adage: "quantity has a quality all on its own"

i.e. If I've got 800 kindle titles and they all make 1 sale a day at $2.99, then I'm already up $1600 for the day.

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Wow - sorry I missed this post! I will check out those titles as soons as I can!

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Bought the first one and will review it tomorrow! I have also pushed it via my Facebook and Twitter accounts - that might help raise its profile . . .

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    Bought the first one and will review it tomorrow! I have also pushed it via my Facebook and Twitter accounts - that might help raise its profile . . .
    Thanks a lot!

EDIT:

For those who are interested, I'm doing a promotion for The Waters of Actium on September 2nd in commemoration of the actual battle, making it freely available for that day.
    Last edited by chaplain118; August 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM.

Crusades

Newest title available:

The First Tribune of the Plebes

Crusades