Thread: (RTW Vanilla AAR) Let Them Hate Us as Long as they Fear Us (Seleucid) -CHAPTER II-

Default (RTW Vanilla AAR) Let Them Hate Us as Long as they Fear Us (Seleucid) -CHAPTER II-

Hi, this is an AAR for RTW Vanilla (Hate modding with steam) and I choosing to play as the Seleucid Empire in this long campaign. I chose the Seleucids because they are a difficult faction early on and usually don't last long because they are at war with 4 or 5 factions at a time. I am usually a M/M campaign player but I found it a little to easy so I am going to kick it up a notch and H/VH.

FEEDBACK IS WELCOMED

Battle Difficulty: Hard
    Campaign Difficulty: Very Hard
    Campaign Length: Long
    Battle Time Limit: Off

Chapters
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I - There is Nothing Imposssible to Him Who Tries
    II - Rebellion
    Last edited by King of Thessaly; August 10, 2012 at 06:26 PM.

Default Re: (RTW Vanilla AAR) Seleucid AAR (Need a name) -CHAPTER 1 POSTED-

Chapter I
    There is Nothing Impossible to Him Who Will Try

It has been 11 years since the struggle of Lysimachus and Seleucus, where Lysimachus was killed and battle and Seleucus was murdered shortly after. Though our empire was without a ruler our people still stand today ready to rebuild the empire of Alexander and even maybe acheive even greater accomplishments . In Antioch, the capital of the Seleucid Empire, the king, Antiochus has invited his sons to a feast where he is eager to inform them of his ambition.

Antiochus: My sons It his been an honor to raise and serve with you but my time is coming to an end... Aristarchus, my son, as you are the oldest it is only proper for you to inherit my throne unless you would deny the honor of being king?

Aristarchus: Father, It would be the greatest honor of inheriting the empire from you. I would lead our people to greatness!

Antiochus: That is great to hear Aristarchus *cough* *cough*. I am getting old. My sons... listen to me...

Demetrius: What is it father?

Antiochus: Our empire is weak... Our military has perrished and we were reluctant enough to survive our last war and we are highly vulnerable to invasion! Egyptians to the South, Parthians to the East, Armenians to the North and Pontos to the West... They would all declare war on us without thought.

Aristarchus: You are right father... But what is it that we can do?

Antiochus: We must prepare the defenses, defend the border and build an army that will crush anyone who stands in its pa-

Alexander: That is Impossible! We can't build an army that quickly! It would take years before we could step outside of the city with a force that could be feared.

Antiochus: Calm yourself, Alexander...

Alexander: Forgive me father...

Antiochus: Our army doesn't have to be feared. It just has to be capable and confident.

Demetrius: How would we obtain this army? If we put all of our money into their upkeep we will have non left for improving our economy.

Antiochus: It would be expensive, but our economy is strong enough for us to support and mid sized army as well as a small garrison for each settlement. We would have to be hasty with this army or else we will be at war without it complete. When we do finish it we can march towards Sidon and wipe out the Egyptian resistance. When we deal with the unrest we can attack Jerusalem, Bostra and Petra before an invasion of the Nile.

Aristarchus: What about Sardis and Seleucia? They will surely be attacked if the Pontus and Parthians declare war on us!

Alexander: And what about Hatra? They won't last long enough!

Antiochus: Yes you are right, that is why I am granting all of my sons land to govern. Alexander you will be in Sardis, defending from any attacks and conquering those who declare war on us. Can I entrust you with this Alexander?

Alexander: It would be an honor.

Antiochus: Good, Demetrius you will govern Damascus and if I fall at arms the army is left at your command. I have great trust that you will lead our people to victory!

Demtrius: I will gladly accept the honor, father.

Antiochus: Good! Now, as for you Aristarchus, you are to travel to Seleucia where you are to recruit a small army and attack the Parthians if they declare war upon us.

Aristarchus: If they declare war on us?

Antiochus: Yes, there is no need to be fighting in an excessive amounts of war. I trust that all of you will remain loyal?

Aristarchus: We will father...

Antiochus: Good! You all know your tasks... Now go and make our country proud!

Antiochus' sons all departed from Antioch on their way to their new homelands where they are expected to complete their tasks without failure.

Antiochus: *Sigh*... Gyras!

Captain Gyras: Yes my king?

Antiochus: You are a loyal captain to me and I can entrust that you will be able to govern Hatra until I can appoint someone else?

Captain Gyras: If that is what you wish, I shall do it.

Antiochus: Thanks, Gyras, you are taking a lot of weight off of my soldiers...

When Aristarchus arrived in Seleucia he ordered that a barracks was to be built in order to train soldiers into the garrison of Seleucia and a spy by the name of "Phillip" was to scout the city of Susa, belonging to Parthia.

Antiochus sent an Emissary to Egypt proposing an Alliance along with trading rights and map information to help prevent war for short amount of time.

It was accepted

Last edited by King of Thessaly; August 10, 2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Updates

Default Re: (RTW Vanilla AAR) Seleucid AAR (Need a name)

There are some photos that need to be edited in but my internet is slow, so I try to get them up ASAP

Edit: Internet is back up and same with the photos!

EDIT2: Just was halfway through the second chapter when something happened and I lost all of the work...
    Last edited by King of Thessaly; August 09, 2012 at 02:17 PM.

Lord of Cats's Avatar Vicarius

A good ol' vanilla AAR. Following. Hopefully this one can get off the ground. I noticed campaign difficulty is at VH. Expect to be at war with everybody. And I mean everybody! Everyone hates the Seleucid Empire's guts and when a human is not controlling them they will die by around turn 12. Every faction will find some way to declare war on you. Not that is matters. The Seleucids have a strong economy at all times and don't really need trade rights. And their unit roster can handle anything that is thrown at them.

Build up the barracks and stables and blacksmiths in Antioch and immediatly assemble an army to take Sidon. Egypt should be your first target. Blitz em. Be defensive everywhere else until you have a good military infrastructure. Oh! Here is a little tip any TW player might find helpful: active generals are longer lasting generals. Move Antiochus around. Give him some fresh air. Have him lead the strike force against Sidon. Every Seleucid game where I did that, Antiochus would live to be around 80. Games where I left him in Antioch, he would die a few turns later. Looking forward toward next update!

PS How about "Let them hate us, as long as they fear us!" - a RTW vanilla Seleucid Empire AAR.
    Last edited by Lord of Cats; August 09, 2012 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior Cat View Post
    A good ol' vanilla AAR. Following. Hopefully this one can get off the ground. I noticed campaign difficulty is at VH. Expect to be at war with everybody. And I mean everybody! Everyone hates the Seleucid Empire's guts and when a human is not controlling them they will die by around turn 12. Every faction will find some way to declare war on you. Not that is matters. The Seleucids have a strong economy at all times and don't really need trade rights. And their unit roster can handle anything that is thrown at them.

Build up the barracks and stables and blacksmiths in Antioch and immediatly assemble an army to take Sidon. Egypt should be your first target. Blitz em. Be defensive everywhere else until you have a good military infrastructure. Oh! Here is a little tip any TW player might find helpful: active generals are longer lasting generals. Move Antiochus around. Give him some fresh air. Have him lead the strike force against Sidon. Every Seleucid game where I did that, Antiochus would live to be around 80. Games where I left him in Antioch, he would die a few turns later. Looking forward toward next update!

PS How about "Let them hate us, as long as they fear us!" - a RTW vanilla Seleucid Empire AAR.

Lol I want to be at war with everyone it makes me laugh about how terrible diplomacy is in RTW. I will put some battles into larger details but for images I have to upload them to steam and then upload them to photobucket and then upload them to the site and that is a little annoying. When I play Seleucid campaigns I usually take the Nile area quickly because when I take those larger cities later on they are never happy. As for that "active generals" I think that it is not true because I have played Seleucid campaigns where I used him almost every turn and he still died early on same with Hanno from Carthage. As for the name I think I will use that. Thanks

Default Re: (RTW Vanilla AAR) Let Them Hate Us as Long as they Fear Us (Seleucid)

Okay 2nd update will be a while because I tried to do it again and when I posted it an error occured and I lost everything, so I was just about ready to punch a hole through the screen because that is the 2nd time on one chapter

Default Re: (RTW Vanilla AAR) Let Them Hate Us as Long as they Fear Us (Seleucid)

You are welcome for the name suggestion. The Egyptian cities are not that bad to control unlike others because of the Pyramids. When you have control of the Pyramids it removes the cultural penalty for Egyptian cities which is very nice (because you don't have to destroy their buildings and then build your own from scratch). Still it is better to get non-greek cities (in your case) early on because once there are huge cities on the map, there is no changing them to another culture by upgrading them.

PS Do you write the story in a word doc? Because if you do then that is saved and all you have to do is copy and paste it into the create post text box. If the post doesn't go through then you haven't lost almost everything then.
    Last edited by Lord of Cats; August 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM.

Im not willing to pay for Word. I did use notepad but I think I will just rewrite itin notepad then paste it into the forums and add the images.

Chapter II
    Rebellion

Captain Carpos: My king their is a rebel presence just northeast of here!

Antiochus: What?!?! A rebellion? Who is the commander of this force?

Captain Carpos: A man named Lyssipos. It is mid sized army with lots of infantry.

Antiochus: Hmm, well I guess they have to dealt with... Carpos! Tell the men they have to be suited up and ready to march at dusk! We will travel overnight and attack in the morning.

Captain Carpos: Yes, my king.

The soldiers were ready to march at dusk so Antioch lead them northeast where the confronted Lyssipos' rebel force.

Antiochus' army

Lyssipos' army

When the battle commenced Antiochus ordered his skirmishing cavalry to pelt the flanks of the rebel army in an attempt to weaken them. Antiochus was to distracted with giving orders that he couldn't get his phalanx ready in time to defend against the rebel cavalry lead by Lysippos. As this may have inflicted lots of casualties to the Seleucid center it would not be effective because the cavalry of Antiochus moved in to help the weakened infantry and route Lysippos' cavalry...

Lysippos flexing his muscles?

This left the rear of the rebel infantry flanks open and Antiochus finished the battle by multiple charges on the flanks of the infantry. A bloody business

This was a great battle but I wouldn't rank it among the famous battles.

Captain Carpos: Congratulations on your victory! Your daughter, Dione, has sent here new husband to meet you.

Antiochus: Great! Bring him in right away.

Captain Carpos: Of course, my king.

Areithous: It is a pleasure to finally meet you!

Captain Carpos: And you too, Areithous. I do hope that you are treating my daughter well?

Areithous: Indeed I am.

Antiochus: Good to hear that. Now I wish to ask you something, Areithous.

Areithous: What is it?

Antiochus: You do know a a fair bit about commanding but all of my family members must be able to govern. We need governers to keep order in our cities and to prevent rebellionfrom our nation. I wish to ask you if you would like to govern alongside me, here in Antioch and learn the basics of what managing a city are. When I reach the gates of Hades I would be honored to have you take over the governing of Antioch.

Areithous: It would be an honor. Will I take command of your army?

Antiochus: I have already granted Demetrius, the governer of Damascus the rights to command my soldiers. I am sorry but it is not honorable to go back on a promise I made, especially to a son of mine.

Areithous: I see...

Antiochus: You will have to raise your own soldiers and train them as best as you can to defend this city.

Areithous: I will defend Antioch to the death.

Antiochus: Glad to hear that. Now, I must be going.

Areithous: Of course.

In Damascus, Demetrius was currently in the training field telling his men about the importance of the phalanx and how your life was in the hands of the man next to you and his in yours...

Demetrius: Pick up the pace!

Captain Seleucus: Sir! I bring urgent news!

Demetrius: What is it?

Captain Seleucus: There is reports of rebel presence just south of here!

Demterius: What? Rebellion?

Captain Seleucus: Yes, it is a small force... But so are we.

Demetrius: Ready the troops. We march right away!

Demetrius' troops were victorious in battle but took heavy casualties from archers

In Seleucia, Aristarchus was celebratign the coming of age ceremonies for his eldest son, Cleitos

Aristarchus: I am very proud of you son.

Cleitos: It is an honor.

While The garrisons are being built so are many diplomatic offers

As we pursue peace, others wish for war...

Default Re: (RTW Vanilla AAR) Let Them Hate Us as Long as they Fear Us (Seleucid) -CHAPTER II-

Feedback is what keeps this going please!

Default Re: (RTW Vanilla AAR) Let Them Hate Us as Long as they Fear Us (Seleucid) -CHAPTER II-

Just keep writing. The more you write the more feedback you'll get. You are doing good so far. Just keep it up. Looking forward toward next update.

Next coming soon. Ive had problems with the game and have been playing Mount and Blade: Warband in me free time.

Hamilicar's Avatar Tiro

Nice start and i like the way it is progressing.