Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TE Multiplayer campaign!

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default TE Multiplayer campaign!

Thats right, it is possible to begin a PBEM (Play by Email) multiplayer campaign for TE! Using the script from the brilliant modder Myrddraal, we can now play against each other on the campaign map and not just the battlefield!

For this campaign we will be taking 9 players to play any faction of their choosing. All you need to do is volunteer for any faction (except rebels) and you are in!

So far we have:

Gaius Balter: Britannia
    Chaplain118: Macedon (maybe)

Well, here is the technical explanation on how to use this mod, made by Myrddraal himself. Dont worry about the part about generating the script and changing the files, Ill do that once this gets going. Also posted here http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=64876

"PBeM: Play by mail games are games, of any type, played through postal mail or e-mail. One example, chess, has been played by mail for centuries (when played in this way, it is known as correspondence chess)."

"Hotseat or hot seat is a multiplayer mode provided by some computer games and video games (usually turn-based games), which allows two or more players to play on the same computer using the same single set of input devices (e.g. mouse and keyboard), by taking turns using the input devices."
    - Wikipedia

Yes this is a multiplayer mod for Rome - Total war

Installation Instructions:

Unfortunately this doesn't come with a nice easy installer, as its not really fully finished/tested. Here are the instructions on how to make it work. I hope they are clear enough:

Run the script generator and follow the instructions to generate the script.
    Place the script in Rome - Total War\data\scripts\show_me (NB for PBE multiplayer games this should be done on all the PC's)

This script must be activated whenever you load the game to play your turn. This is done through the advisor. Here are some basic instructions on how to make this happen:

Open Rome - Total War\data\export_descr_advice.txt

Find this entry:

;------------------------------------------
    AdviceThread Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Thread
    GameArea Campaign

Item Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Text_01
    Uninhibitable
    Verbosity 0
    Threshold 1
    Attitude Normal
    Presentation Default
    Title Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Text_01_Title
    Text Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Text_01_Text1

Edit it by adding the line written in bold and in red:

;------------------------------------------
    AdviceThread Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Thread
    GameArea Campaign

Item Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Text_01
    Uninhibitable
    Verbosity 0
    Threshold 1
    Attitude Normal
    Presentation Default
    Title Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Text_01_Title
    Script scripts\show_me\HotSeatScript.txt
    Text Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Text_01_Text1

Remember, this must be done on each players computer

How to play

To start the game
    The first player must start a normal campaign. On starting the campaign, you must run the script.

Playing your turn

To start your turn, load the quicksave file sent to you by the last player.
    Each player must run the script at the start of every turn.

To do this:
    Press F1
    The shortcuts scroll will appear
    Press the (?) button in the top right hand corner of the scroll which appears
    The Advisor will appear giving you advice on the scroll, ignore this, and press the Show me how button.
    The script will then be running, you can close the advisor and the scroll.
    Play your turn as you like. I advise you to make it a rule to auto-resolve all battles as playing them will give you an unfair advantage over the opponent, who will be controlled by the AI.

End your turn as you normally would.

At the end of your turn, your screen will lock, the UI will be hidden and a message will appear saying "save successful".

1. If you are playing Hot Seat (several players on one computer)
    Press CTRL + L
    The next player should wait for the game to load, then start his/her turn by running the script...
    1. If you are playing Play by Email Multiplayer
    Quit the game and send the Quicksave.sav file found in C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\saves to the next player
    The next player should load this file and start his/her turn by running the script...

Download Script Here

Notes:

Potential Problems
    The script included here is fully functional and will allow you to play MP. However, there are a couple of uncertain points. This mod was never fully completed and there hasn't been any testing on certain aspects of the game. Therefore, watch out for these areas when playing, and if you find some odd behavior, please report it back here.

1. Messages and Annoucements

Usually at the start of your turn, a series of messages and announcements will slide down the left hand side of the screen (announcing births, plagues etc).
    Unfortunately because of the way this script works, this has been disabled.

The effect of this on gameplay: If a general dies, it won't be announced. Check your generals and govenors.

2. Local player decisions: Diplomacy, Stand/Retreat, etc

The way this script works is it changes which faction the game thinks the user controls. When it arrives (in the turn order) at the start of the next players turn it switches control.

However, not all the decisions you make in game are made during your turn. For example, if an AI faction attacks you, you usually must decide to fight or flee. If the AI attacks player 1's army, but the computer still thinks you are player 2 (i.e. after player 2's turn), the AI will make the decision to stand or fight on behalf of player 1. Similarly with diplomacy. The AI may accept or refuse an alliance on your behalf.

Remember, this won't always happen. If the AI faction has its turn directly after yours for example, you will still be the official local faction and will be allowed to choose yourself.

The effect of this on gameplay: Always check your diplomacy at the start of your turn. Always check your armies at the start of your turn.

3. Senate Missions

Test seem to indicate that no senate missions are offered after the first senate mission offered to any of the roman players.

House Rules and Gameplay Notes:

There are no prescribed house rules, however here are some which you should consider:
    Battles against the AI: You may wish to make it a rule that all battles must be auto resoved, or that battles against the AI can be fought by the player. However, I strongly suggest that battles between players be autoresolved. Any other form of play is unfairly biased against the defender.
    "Unoffical" Alliances: Remember to consider the fact that a diplomacy between players is now unlimited. Secret deals can be made to attack one player, possibly in exchange for a city or a pile of gold. Remember though that backstabbing may earn you a reputation

Here are the rules that we will be playing by

Each player will take their turn, and attach the save game here or email it to the next player. And, after each turn the player must write a short report detailing important events that happened during their turn. These events include:

Successful assassinations of generals of any human player's faction
    Ships sunk if it involves another human player
    Battle fought if involving another human player
    Diplomacy reached if involving another human player

We have to report because with this script, you will not get any of the alert scrolls on the side of your screen (you know, the End of Turn reports, Faction News, etc.).

Each player has 24 hours to complete their turn, so the game isnt delayed for a long time. Please do not signup if you are not around often, because it will waste time. Anyone who does not complete their turn in 24 hous will have their turn carried out by the AI or by a trusted human ally.

Other rules
    Battles can be fought on the campaign map at anytime ONLY if they are against AI only. If your army ever attacks a human players army then you MUST autoresolve. It isnt fair that one player gets to use strategy and one doesnt, so auto resolve is the fairest way to go.

Do not initiate dipomacy with any other human player unless agreed upon beforehand.

Do not cheat. This should be common sense, and plus, I dont think the cheats would work with this campaign anyway. Just please, dont cheat in any way.

Dont take other peoples save games and look at them. That is cheating.

Diplomacy rules: Not much to say about this, already said a lot about it. Just make any diplomacy public with the rest of the players, do not keep it secret. You can ally with any human player, you just all have to agree and make it public. But there is one rule that concerns this. We will have no more than 3 human factions in an alliance, to prevent any superalliances from winning the game.

Well, thats about it, if you have any questions just ask.
    Last edited by Hader; July 17, 2006 at 08:53 PM.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Default Re: TE Multiplayer campaign!

Sounds interesting! Ill take Britannia.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Blog Entries

Ok, you're on the list GB. Anyone else?

Blog Entries

Comon, anyone else? Trust me this will be fun!

put me down as a Maybe for Macedon, I don't know if I can make it for all of the rounds.

hell, ill support this. put me in for the greeks. ill give it a try

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Sounds interesting. Maybe I'll try as Rome or Thrace or something.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

I'd like Rome if you arent going to have it Ulyoath

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Sure have it. I'm fine with plenty of other factions.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

we should do 0 turn recruitment. that would be fun

Blog Entries

Sure, you can all come in. But no, recruitment time will stay the same, 0 is stupid and isnt even in TE.

Gaius Balter: Britania
    Chaplain- Macedon (maybe)
    jw1089- Greeks
    Favre- Rome

And Ulyaoth what faction do you want?

i assume this will be running on TE 5.1. how come i cant find the download for TE 5.0?
    nevermind, i found it
    Last edited by jw1089; July 20, 2006 at 10:25 PM.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Wait, wouldn't it be possible to play battlefield battles against other players?

Nevermind, I forgot about the map part. Woops.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

when can we get this started? do we have to have 9 ppl?

Blog Entries

So far we only have 5 people, ill wait a bit longer just to see if we can get this started with a few more players. Wont be long though

The Black Reaper's Avatar Hell's Gate

i wish i could and it sounds a lot of fun but i have TE 5.1 CE 2.0 installed and i dont wanna uninstall it and reinstall my TE folder... im to lazy

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.0 GHz | CPU Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 + | Mobo: Asus m4a79xtd evo
    Ram: Corsair XMS3 2x4GB DDR3 1333 MHz | PSU: Antec Truepower 650W | GPU: Evga Geforce GTX 580

Under the Patronage of the Honorable Nicholas Rush

what's CE 2.0? where can i get the download for the multiplayer campaign mod? can we do this with another mod? possibly darthmod? im not sure if i like the steep upkeep costs

The Black Reaper's Avatar Hell's Gate

CE 2.0 is an add on that Kaweh K made with new faction icons and banners and a couple landbridges... he also has many factions behave how they did in history.. or more like how they expanded

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.0 GHz | CPU Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 + | Mobo: Asus m4a79xtd evo
    Ram: Corsair XMS3 2x4GB DDR3 1333 MHz | PSU: Antec Truepower 650W | GPU: Evga Geforce GTX 580

Under the Patronage of the Honorable Nicholas Rush

Blog Entries

Gaius Balter: Britania
    Chaplain- Macedon (maybe)
    jw1089- Greeks
    Favre- Rome
    Hader- Ill wait until startto pick my faction, give everyone else a better choice

So far this is what we have (again), TOMORROW we will hopefully begin this campaign. So there is only one more day for signing up, get to it folks!

argh, sorry Hader, can't make it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast