Thread: Info about Fatamid Ghulams?

Default Info about Fatamid Ghulams?

Playing a game as the Fatamids, and at some point I lost access to training Ghulams from my Fortresses. I was able to train them with no issue from Fortresses, now all of a sudden they are only available from Citadels. What happened? I noticed this right around 1200AD (Turn 100) I have a ton of Ghulams in my armies, but now I cant build them anymore, and I dont have a substitute for them in my armies (Heavy Infantry with bonus to armor)

Any idea if this is a bug with RR or something I can manually change back? My armies are going to be a lot more dull since I dont have any citadels yet =(

Default Re: Info about Fatamid Ghulams?

I had a look at the export_descr_buildings txt

recruit_pool "Dismounted Ghulams" 1 0.5 2 0 requires factions { egypt, } and event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter FULL_PLATE_ARMOR 1

recruit_pool "Nubian Spearmen" 1 0.5 2 0 requires factions { egypt, } and not event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1
    recruit_pool "Dismounted Arab Cavalry" 1 0.67 3 0 requires factions { egypt, } and not event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1
    recruit_pool "Dismounted Ghulams" 1 0.67 3 0 requires factions { egypt, } and not event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1

So looks like the increase in availability after heavy mail armour 1, but are around before that. Not sure why they would disappear after that.
    What turn did they go missing on? how long have they been gon
    Last edited by merocaine; August 08, 2012 at 08:43 AM.

I noticed them missing around at turn 105, but it could have been a couple turns ago when they vanished.

Looking at export_descr_buildings txt it seems they match dismounted arab cavalry, which I still have access to.

I also started an advanced campaign, just to see what it does, and it has the same issue, Ghulams only available from Citadels, and not fortresses.
    Last edited by RedeemerAZ; August 08, 2012 at 01:46 PM.

I think I figured out what was wrong and fixed it:

export_descr_buildings

has the following listed for Dismounted Ghulams:

BARRACKS:
    recruit_pool "Dismounted Ghulams" 1 0.5 2 0 requires factions { egypt, } and not event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1

ARMORY:

recruit_pool "Dismounted Ghulams" 1 0.5 2 0 requires factions { egypt, } and event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter FULL_PLATE_ARMOR 1
    recruit_pool "Dismounted Ghulams" 1 0.67 3 0 requires factions { egypt, } and not event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1

As we can see, once Heavy Mail event occurs,Egypt is locked out of the Ghulams until they can build the Armory. I believe they are supposed to increase their ratios as time goes on, but based on the scripts above, its checking for the wrong stuff. I believe what it should read:

BARRACKS:
    recruit_pool "Dismounted Ghulams" 1 0.5 2 0 requires factions { egypt, }

ARMORY:
    recruit_pool "Dismounted Ghulams" 1 0.67 3 0 requires factions { egypt, } and event_counter FULL_PLATE_ARMOR 1

Now Ghulams are always available if they have the Barracks (and dont get locked out when Heavy Mail event occurs), and they also increase in their ratio as Heavy Mail & Full Plate get unlocked if you have the armor

nicely done, I'll alter my export_descr_buildings.txt in case I ever play the Fatimids..

Good catch, I didn't notice that either before.

I remember PB saying that the Ghulams are supposed to be phased out at some point. They're not meant to stick around indefinitely.

Ghulams could be phased out when Mameluk and Ottoman rosters rise though Khwarezmians/Timurids might still keep them. It would mean Fatimids lose them earliest and would need to get their Mameluk units at a higher rate earlier.

Judeman266's Avatar Senator

Yea I'm pretty sure the reason you lost access to them is because the Mamluks no longer used Ghulams. It's not a bug. RR is the cause.