Thread: Hoplite Shields

Default Hoplite Shields

I no history buff but I am pretty sure that hoplites would choose their own design on their shields and I think that it would be cool if that was added to the game and it would make it look more realistic. I have also read that the design on a shiled would depend on what city they were from ex.

Arcadian

Achaian

Default Re: Hoplite Shields

I no history buff but I am pretty sure that hoplites would choose their own design on their shields and I think that it would be cool if that was added to the game and it would make it look more realistic. I have also read that the design on a shiled would depend on what city they were from ex.
    True It depended on that from what city they were. In ancient Greece, every city was a state(that's why they were called city states). Every city had their own army and every hoplite was special depending on the city he came from.

They as far as we can see from Medieval II onwards made that 3-4 soldiers differ in the same unit. So you will have in one units hoplites with different shield deigns. That is at least how I think.

Here you are a few more of those shields :

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...ates-Standards

I'm sure this will be in the game.
    “Carpe diem! Rejoice while you are alive; enjoy the day; live life to the fullest; make the most of what you have. It is later than you think.” - Horace 65 BC

Since CA confirmed that Rome 2 will be the most detailed TW games in term of individuality of armor/clothing, I think it's safe to assume that most units (including hoplites) will have a wide variety of colour/styles for their shields and armor