Thread: Hennen Annun.. to take or not to take.. That is the Question!!

Default Hennen Annun.. to take or not to take.. That is the Question!!

So i am playing as Gondor...

I go to conquer Hennan Annun and all i find is this useless mountain pathway and a little wooden gate that my men could probably beat down with their swords and i begin to wonder.. wtf??!!! Should i even conquer this place? it would be HELL trying to defend this dumb hole so close to Mordor!!! So i decided to ask you guyz, what do you think? Take or not? and how is it defensible?

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Hennen Annun.. to take or not to take.. That is the Question!!

I find it easy to hold.

If you are as inexperienced as this post and the phrasing of it hints, you should probably go and read some Gondor guides to take away such doubt. You should also be aware that your post here can be interpreted to be casting a slur on the work of a modder. In fact I did so and retorted rather harshly at first.
    Last edited by Macilrille; August 06, 2012 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Less impolite reply

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I find Henneth Annun very easy to defend, while harder to take than most other settlements. My usual garrison there would be 2 heavy units (preferably spearmen for the ability of schildrome formation), 2 archer units and sometimes a javelin unit. By placing the heavy units almost at the bottom of the spiral roads (?) the archers can still fire at the enemy when they try to climb it.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Rhaenys Targaryen's Avatar Campidoctor

It is worth taking because it's extremely easy to defend, Mordor will be relentless in trying to take it but that means that they will waste their money and troops on you at Henneth Annun a lot, which weakens them. I recommend auto-resolve for capturing it because trust me, you will lose less men, I've tried it. A simple strategy of defending it would be: Create a big angle at the gates with two strong units, place 3 or 4 archers behind them (have these archers use fire arrows on the ram because it takes time for the ram to reach the gate and they will either burn the ram or kill the whole unit that is carrying it.), one or two catapults behind your archers to either try and hit the ram or fire at their heavily armoured units, then either your general or a cavalry unit behind the catapults in order to mop up routing units to prevent their army from regrouping and withdrawing.

Hope this helps you.

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

The place to defend Henneth Annûn and the rest of Ithilien is the river crossing. No need to suffer devastation of your lands.

Foederatus

Attention! There is a gate-bug. When defending Heneth annun and u open the gate only ones, it doesnt close again! So attacking fleeing troops by horse is oly a good idea if there are no other enemy troops outside.

And a good thing why u should get it is, that u can recruit Ithilien-Rangers there!

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman the Magnificent View Post
    ...I recommend auto-resolve for capturing it because trust me, you will lose less men, I've tried it...
    - Auto-resolve suxx... Play real! Play every battle yourself. That way you learn how to attack best.

Just be sure to have some archers and a few heavy infantri and noone will be able to take that place. Unless they bring two full stacks

Rhaenys Targaryen's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by ThaDoews View Post
    - Auto-resolve suxx... Play real! Play every battle yourself. That way you learn how to attack best.

Just be sure to have some archers and a few heavy infantri and noone will be able to take that place. Unless they bring two full stacks
    I'm not a fan of auto resolve myself, it's just that taking Henneth Annun is a pain in the butt.

dannyalex's Avatar Campidoctor

take it and defend the bridge between Cair andros and hennen annun!
    Most Chivalrous commander 2020-2021

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

It is worth taking because it's extremely easy to defend, Mordor will be relentless in trying to take it but that means that they will waste their money and troops on you at Henneth Annun a lot, which weakens them.
    Neither money nor troops are a concern of the AI, if they get weak they'll just get new and better stacks and if they up their economy they get help too.

I have no idea how Henneth Annun looks, I never fought in it.

forest region to take one taste

As Gondor I always take the Ithilien asap, use 2 half stacks to kill everything coming outside of Minas Morgul and the Black Gate. There are 6-7 good ambush spots between Gondor and Mordor.
    Fighting versus Harad on the other hand is a real challenge.
    In it for the rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizad View Post
    As Gondor I always take the Ithilien asap, use 2 half stacks to kill everything coming outside of Minas Morgul and the Black Gate. There are 6-7 good ambush spots between Gondor and Mordor.
    Fighting versus Harad on the other hand is a real challenge.
    Quite the challenge! Mumakil and Serpent cav will be the death of me I find it best to deal with them by taking Umbar in the style of the Waffen SS (don't mean to offend anyone): no prisoners, lots of fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    I find Henneth Annun very easy to defend, while harder to take than most other settlements. My usual garrison there would be 2 heavy units (preferably spearmen for the ability of schildrome formation), 2 archer units and sometimes a javelin unit. By placing the heavy units almost at the bottom of the spiral roads (?) the archers can still fire at the enemy when they try to climb it.
    well, i have a full stack there right now but i was wondering about the late-game, won't mordor be sending stacks of elites to reconquer their lost lands? because if that's the case, then you'll need way more units than what you have mentioned!!!

I'm not a fan of auto resolve myself, it's just that taking Henneth Annun is a pain in the butt.
    Well, i did it yesterday against a full stack of mordor troops; I took down the gate with my catapult, i placed 1 unit of swordsmen slightly ahead of my tightly packed archers and advanced slowely up the hill only after taking out whatever unit comes downhill to counter my advance. I waited till they eventually crammed up together all the way at the top platform of the mountain then i brought in my catapult again and made an orc cake, anybody care for a taste?

I am not being attacked at all at Henneth!!!
    Last edited by MasterBigAb; August 10, 2012 at 04:30 AM. Reason: d-post

just wait and see,beside my friend ,mordor will go for ur other regions....ur game ur decisions

Bowmaster's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by DinoMight View Post
    I am not being attacked at all at Henneth!!!
    How big you're army that's garrisoned in there, is? The smaller the garrison the more they're interested.

Take Hennun Annun if you can afford the manpower to do so. It will delay any offensive from Mordor and give you a base to advance north, south, and/or from the other gate to their base.

At best, it will cement your presence in that part of the region and allow for potential offensives; at worst, Hennun will delay the mordor stacks coming to attack you. Go for it.
    If you rep me, please leave your username so I can rep back
    Formerly known as Sarry. and My Political Profile!

Foederatus

Yes, take Henneth Annun.

Ithilien Rangers are fantastic and with 4 or 5 of them plus some militia, you can easily hold off Mordor's advances.