Thread: Some Questions...

Default Some Questions...

First off, I want to say this mod is simply superb. Really good stuff, especially the nice balance between historical accuracy and enjoyment. However I do have some questions.

I'm playing as the Greek Cities and am currently at war against the Romans. One issue I have noticed is that the Romans units appear to be a fair bit more cost efficient then my armies. In many battles I take part in, the Romans hastati, principes and Triarii simply give my normal and armoured phanalax units a real run for there money in a head to head engagment. Is this an intended gameplay mechanic?. I will admit to being very new to XGM, and more use to my vanilla RTW phanalax being spear walls of death. I have noticed that all the battles this occurs in that I am forced to fight uphill, does doing so give a severe penalty to me phanalax units? Some tips would also be nice

I also heard that the Marian Reforms takes away my Periokoi/Non Spartan Spartan hoplites and replaces them with Spartan Phanalax, is this true? I really like my Spartan Hoplites.

Total Roach's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Some Questions...

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDJBling View Post
    First off, I want to say this mod is simply superb. Really good stuff, especially the nice balance between historical accuracy and enjoyment. However I do have some questions.

I'm playing as the Greek Cities and am currently at war against the Romans. One issue I have noticed is that the Romans units appear to be a fair bit more cost efficient then my armies. In many battles I take part in, the Romans hastati, principes and Triarii simply give my normal and armoured phanalax units a real run for there money in a head to head engagment. Is this an intended gameplay mechanic?. I will admit to being very new to XGM, and more use to my vanilla RTW phanalax being spear walls of death. I have noticed that all the battles this occurs in that I am forced to fight uphill, does doing so give a severe penalty to me phanalax units? Some tips would also be nice

I also heard that the Marian Reforms takes away my Periokoi/Non Spartan Spartan hoplites and replaces them with Spartan Phanalax, is this true? I really like my Spartan Hoplites.
    Your Phalanx, as indeed is any unit; is vulnerable when attacking uphill, do your best to avoid this even if it means marching all the way around the map, also in case you didn't already know never have your Phalanx ranks less than 5 deep, 8 I find optimum. In vanilla, the phalanx was extremely OP and I'm sure there are plenty of history experts out there that could explain how Phalanx combat worked.

Unless it's change since I last played you only lose your Periokoi Hoplites and get Phalangites (phalanx) instead meaning you always have access to Spartan hoplites.

If you think you might need some advice on tactics, stack compositions etc, ask away, I'm sure everyone will be happy to offer some
    :sparta:

Although I suspected fighting uphill was the cause of higher than expected losses, I wasn't entirely certain, and it's nice for that to be cleared up. Unfortunately the Roman engagements I have fought seem to come with a real nice hill for the Romans to stand and fight on. A position which the AI (quite rightly) refuses to abandon.

Periokoi Hoplites are the ones I fear losing. I didn't really make it clear in my original post, sorry about that. I would rather keep them then switch to Periokoi Phalangites, because I like having some on my flanks. Of course Sacred Band, Athenian, Syracusan and Greek Hoplites can do the job, but Periokoi I like because of a personal preference.

Some army composition tips could be appreciated. I usually have about 6-7 Phalangites/Armoured Phalangites, 4-5 Hoplites of any stripe, 2 Heavy Peltasts (can't spell the Greek Name) 3 Greek Heavy Cavalry (the one that starts with X), 2 Prodmori Light Cavalry, 2 Archers and a Generals bodyguard. I think that I many have to cut back on Hoplites and increase Phalanx units, but I'm not sure.

Durnaug's Avatar Campidoctor

If you want to keep your Periokoi Hoplites after the Marian reforms you will have to edit the "export_descr_buildings.txt" file.

Regarding Triarii, try and flank them with slingers (they are great against armoured opponents) to wear them down; pin them with a Phalanx and then attack them in the rear with an armour piercing unit, although I am not too sure about the ap units in XGM. I think the axemen have the ap attribute, maybe the Thracians. Darn it has been too long since I played. I will soon remedy that.

Although I suspected fighting uphill was the cause of higher than expected losses, I wasn't entirely certain, and it's nice for that to be cleared up. Unfortunately the Roman engagements I have fought seem to come with a real nice hill for the Romans to stand and fight on. A position which the AI (quite rightly) refuses to abandon.

Periokoi Hoplites are the ones I fear losing. I didn't really make it clear in my original post, sorry about that. I would rather keep them then switch to Periokoi Phalangites, because I like having some on my flanks. Of course Sacred Band, Athenian, Syracusan and Greek Hoplites can do the job, but Periokoi I like because of a personal preference.

Some army composition tips could be appreciated. I usually have about 6-7 Phalangites/Armoured Phalangites, 4-5 Hoplites of any stripe, 2 Heavy Peltasts (can't spell the Greek Name) 3 Greek Heavy Cavalry (the one that starts with X), 2 Prodmori Light Cavalry, 2 Archers and a Generals bodyguard. I think that I many have to cut back on Hoplites and increase Phalanx units, but I'm not sure.
    Here's a screenshot from a while back that might help you I guess, this was my standard stack composition and the proved very effective against all factions bar the horse archer ones. As you can see I only used 5 Phalangites and these pinned the entire Roman stack which then allowed the Hoplites and Thorakitai to flank and envelope, had the enemy routing very fast.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Good luck

Thanks!

Is there a reason that you don't any cavalry apart from your general?

Thanks!

Is there a reason that you don't any cavalry apart from your general?
    No need against the Romans, most of their troops are heavy and easily caught whilst routing, the Thorakitai do an excellent job taking down the enemy heavy cav including generals if they are present.

Against HA factions you have to completely change tactics any so this stack would not work well, I really detest fighting them, but success does help you become a better tactician I think anyway

as I download the mod?
    Please, Help me!

Ranged units to the back are the way I kill Romans, yeah. Check the AAR for Syracuse, that's the tactic I use.

Pikemen have issues with fighting uphill AND downhill. Apparently the end of their pikes will not appropriately "touch" the enemy when there are slopes, which negates their advantage.

Generally I try to not attack AIs on field. Especially when you have artillery, just go for their settlements. This means any battles the AI pushes on you will have you as defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Total Roach View Post
    Against HA factions you have to completely change tactics any so this stack would not work well, I really detest fighting them, but success does help you become a better tactician I think anyway
    Against HAs, you really want to fight in settlements only if you can.

However, phalanx formation units ("form phlalanx") get bonuses that make them much more durable than you think. You can just have them absorb the arrows until the HAs are out of ammo...