View Poll Results: Please vote for your favourite story!

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Entrant 1

7 63.64%
  • Entrant 2

4 36.36%

Thread: [DUEL] robinzx VS. Scottish King - VOTE!

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Default [DUEL] robinzx VS. Scottish King - VOTE!

Image courtesy of Radboud

A duel of wits and artistry between

robinzx

and

Scottish King

Who shall emerge victorious, and who shall be the smarmy git who runs away?
    Note the above may or may not denote the order of the duelists' works.

Entry 1
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

King Louis entered his extravagant bed chambers and dismissed his attendants to have a moment to himself. The party going on outside in the palace garden had been a most exciting affair with the nobles and their ladies wearing the most expensive of clothes while enjoying the most expensive of foods. What else could one expect of a party thrown by the king of the great nation of France? But Louis could only sigh as the crowd began to “ooohhh” and “aaahhh” as the first of the fireworks lit up the dark summer sky. These parties were put on at the state’s expense and with the recent conflicts France had been involved in, the treasury was quite low. Raising taxes could help alleviate the burden. The poorer classes, of course would feel it the most for Louis could not raise the taxes too high on the nobles partying outside as he barely had their support as it was.

Turning away from the window, Louis eye caught sight of a new Etruscan piece of art he had sent from Italy. New in that it had been recently bought, but it was a very old piece dating back to sometime just before the founding of the Roman Republic. It was a very interesting piece for it was made in the likeness of a lion. Louis couldn’t tell what it was made out of, that was not his area of expertise, but he could enjoy a good piece of art. His wife hated the sight of it and would have put it in the servant’s quarters but Louis would not allow it. There was something about this piece…

“It just grabs you doesn’t it”

Startled by the sound of another voice though he was supposed to be alone, Louis turned around to see a middle aged man dressed in what Louis could only describe as a toga worn by the ancient Greeks and Romans. Louis thought he was one of the party members who had drunk to much wine and had wandered into the bedchamber. However, by the way he was dressed and the fact that he would have had to go through the posted guards Louis knew that this man before him was not from party. Louis immediately called for the guards who he told to remove the man from his room and reprimanded them for their letting him in. The two looked at each other, puzzled by what their king was telling them. All the while the man in the toga, whistled an old unknown tune as he sat down in a nearby chair.

“Well what are you waiting for!” yelled Louis. “Arrest this man!”

“Wh-what man, si-sir?”

The man in the toga laughed loudly at the guard’s uneasiness. “You are the only one who can see me, your majesty. Send them away, for I have something to tell you and my time here is brief.”

Louis looked incredulously at the man in the toga and then back at the guard to whom he asked whether could see or hear anyone else in the room. The guards replied no but said nothing further to keep from insulting their king. Thinking that he had drunk to much wine at the party, Louis dismissed the guards with the command not to tell anyone of this incident. When they had left, Louis quickly rubbed his eyes, splashed cold water on his face and even pinched himself to make sure he was awake but the man in the toga was still there laughing at each of Louis’ attempt to convince himself of his sanity.

“Now that you are quite done and realize that you are not asleep let’s get down to business. Like I said my time is short.”

Louis in resignation sat down opposite the man only he could see. After taking a deep breath, he built up the courage to talk to the man in the toga, though it felt only as if he were acknowledging his insanity.

“What is your name?” he asked in a low voice.

“That’s unimportant but you can call me what others called me when I was alive: Superbus.”

Louis cleared his throat. He was sitting across from a ghost. He made a mental note to find out what had been put in the food that night. “Alright, Superbus- am I saying that right- what business do you have with me. Shouldn’t you be haunting someone else or enjoying the other side.”

Superbus got up and walked over to the Etruscan piece that Louis had been admiring earlier. “Well, the afterlife is not too good for me, so I was given a choice. I either stay in an unpleasant afterlife or I come back and try to help some unfortunate soul, like you.”

“Me!?”

“Yes, you! You know, I use to own this chimera. I had it right in my bed chambers like do. I had many fancy pieces of art, money, lavish parties, and most of all power over the state.”
    “So you were a king too?”

Superbus walked towards the window and gazed upon the fireworks as he began to remember his past life. “Yes, I was a king, but one that made many mistakes, the same mistakes you are making, now and they will prove to be your ruin just as they were mind.”

Louis laughed softly. “Mistakes? What are you talking about everything is going fine.”

Superbus turned away from the window, his face not wearing the playfully expression he had at first, but a stern glare that burrowed deep into Louis as if to pierce his soul.

“Fine? Everything is not fine and you know it. The people are starving, the treasury might as well be empty but yet you and your rich friends are living well and throwing extravagant parties. Even now you are contemplating on raising taxes on people who nearly have a coin to spare. I was like you once. I put pieces of art and my comfort above the people and suffered for it. You must reform your ways Louis or you will face dire consequences.”

Louis laughed even louder now. “What consequences? A rebellion? A coup? They wouldn’t dare depose me, one whom God has place on the throne of this great nation. I shall do as I please. Now leave me in peace. Be gone back to your unpleasant situation in the afterlife.”

Letting out a deep sigh, Superbus shrugged his shoulders and walked toward the door but then he stopped and turned to face Louis. “You will see me no more but be warned: Your blood is on your own hands.” With that Superbus began to fade from view as he walked through Louis’ closed door. Louis was relieved to see him go and immediately made preparation to go to bed and he slept rather well that night well convinced that the reign of Louis the XVI would be long and glorious.

Entry 2
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

“Second Floor: Etruscan exhibits.”

Exhibit.

Exhibit!?

I have lived a long life, longer than most would care to endure. In my time I've seen countless glories but also witnessed the misery of many a tragedy – none more haunting as my own descent from the highest of pedestals. I adorned the central square of Arezzo once, worshipped by many and adored by all, but those days are but a faded memory now, barely scratching the surface of my indifference. The men in red tunics arrived from the south one day – the twisted faces of those they butchered stayed with me ever since, but their screams have long fallen silent even in what remains of my memory. Cosimo – the Great they called him – he paraded me in a palazzo of great splendour, but I was merely one plaything out of many…

…yet nothing could compare to the shame that constricts my existence now, forgotten in this dank, deserted construction. A museum they called it, and I was one of its exhibits – number 29159 to be exact says the printed plaque that mocks my pedigree. I wasn’t alone – far from it – but those that kept my company surely could not hope to compare with my magnificence. Some of the others were from my time I think, I couldn’t be sure, but they were from parts of Italia less prestigious than ours. Nary a soul passed by on most days, except the old curator who must surely be passing into the next world soon. He would speak to me sometimes, but he speaks to please himself more than he does me. Centuries in the Toscana mud were arguably preferable to this.

“Come! Quick!”

The crisp, sing-song voice of a female disturbed my almost comatose disposition. A cascade of golden hair entered my sight, glistening in the morning sunlight. The skin of her limbs followed, shining vibrantly a pale tone of ivory. As more of her entered my sight I found my thoughts jumbled for a second – for only the gods themselves could have crafted such perfection.

And then I saw her eyes.

By the grace of the gods, those eyes.

They were neither green nor blue, but a surreal swirl of colours that reminded me of the Florentine sky of old. Slight strands of gold echoed the glorious sunshine that fell upon Cosimo’s mansion, and drew me ever deeper into her consciousness. I looked at her, and she looked back, unblinking. It would have been a callow lie to say I was unmoved. The goddess before me tore through the metallic façade I had grown used to, disturbing long forgotten emotions.

“What is that? It looks…intricate.”

I let the words wash over me for a second. Intricate – I liked the sound of that. In my dreamy state I barely noticed a second being approach – a man this time. His hair was short and of a soft hazel hue – perhaps indicating Gallic descent? Germanic perhaps? I couldn't be sure.

“It’s the Chimera di Arezzo, Maria. A chimera is part lion, part goat and part snake. Remember that Greek legend Mr. Papadopoulos told us about the Bellerophon slaying it in Lycia? This particular statue was created by a master bronze worker and placed in the forum at Arezzo until its fall to the Romans. It was lost until the Renaissance when The Medici placed it among their most prized possessions at the Palazzo Vecchio. I'm told it’s one of the main attractions of this museum.”

Maria – so that was her name. I was impressed by the man’s knowledge of my origin – few did besides the old curator. He must have been a scholar of some kind, I decided. It pleased me that I was called the main attraction, but to a large extent I already knew that. Did Cosimo – or his sons really place me in such regard? I couldn’t be sure, but the man’s words made for easy listening. I stood silently as the pair studied me from all angles, seemingly fascinated by something. Excitement tingled deep within as she reached out towards me with one of her slender, ivory fingers…

“Maria – the signs said no touching. Let’s go. There is much else to see.”

I could only curse silently at the man as she turned towards him, taking his hand as they left. He had just named me the main attraction – what else could be more worth seeing? I watched her figure sway gently side to side as they meandered past the other exhibits, ruminating on her words silently. Suddenly, if only for a brief moment, the futility of my being seemed to disperse a little.

I was still an exhibit, but I was intricate. Venus herself had said so.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; August 04, 2012 at 08:17 PM.

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Default Re: [DUEL] robinzx VS. Scottish King - VOTE!

Ooh, good stories. I will need to think on my vote before casting.

[edit] Cogitated, ruminated (well of course!), digested, pondered, considered and finally, voted.
    Last edited by Ybbon; August 04, 2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: vote

Wow an amazing story I must say!

May the best man win. I shall abstain from voting of course.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

Have voted good luck to both duelliests

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    May the best man win. I shall abstain from voting of course.
    Same here!
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Voted. Excellent work both of you; I can't wait to see who pulls out on top.

Both were really good pieces from two incredibly talented writers. It was a hard call to decide, but I did it .

|Of, the esteemed House: DE BODEMLOZE|

As did I, great writing to both of you!

Congrats to Scottish King worthy winner with a great story
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

+rep to both contestants for excellent tales.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Thank you guys!
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)