Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zelda Memories (Favorite Moments, First Game, etc)

ZeR0199X's Avatar Centenarius

Default Zelda Memories (Favorite Moments, First Game, etc)

With this thread, I was thinking we could discuss our favorite memories of Zelda. From the first game we ever played, favorite moments of a game, favorite boss, favorite enemy, item, character, worst boss, item, character, etc.

Lets start with first Zelda game we ever played.

The first Zelda game I ever played was ironically the first Legend of Zelda on the good old NES. I was 4 years old and I was watching my dad played it. He saw this and asked me if I wanted to try. I shook my head grabbed the controller and just started playing. Mind you, I got killed a lot and I just was walking around, but in that moment, I discovered a hobby that I still love to do today, playing video games. Even though I a lot older now and I have branched out from the little old NEs, sometimes I still pop in that classic Zelda, either in the NES or the GBA version, and remember a simpler time.

What about the rest of you guys?
    LONG LIVE THE MAD GOD! LONG LIVE MAJORA!!!

Marik Ravencroft-Cousland
    (Death by Ruby Guard) - Lyndis Cousland (Death by natural causes) - Selina Cousland (Retconned) - Lucius Cousland (Retconned)

Thomas Horatio Rolfe (Retconned) - Vincent Aurion (Soul consumed by demonic warrior, body now possessed) - Kriam Vaern

Pierre Lorraine
    (Death by natural causes)

Mattwensley's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Zelda Memories (Favorite Moments, First Game, etc)

First ever Zelda was on my 7th birthday. My parents had split up a couple months before, and I remember coming home from school to my mothers flat to mind my dad hooking up the N64. My present from a friend of my mother's (who would be my stepdad in a year) was OoT. So much fun, even though I could barely hold the controller.

Next was playing aLttP on the SNES with my brother and stepdad on holiday. Fun times... until my mother tripped over the power cable and killed everything since the last save (I'm now obnoxiously obsessed with saving every minute or two). Possibly the only ever time me, my brother and stepdad were in agreement was shouting at my mother. She was so happy we were getting along!

A couple years later, I made friends with a guy through a guy because he was stuck on Z:LA, and I helped him out. He was my best friend for about a year, and we're still in touch, even though we've drifted apart.

Basically, my life has been punctuated with Zelda. If one game captures my childhood better than Pokémon, it's Zelda.

EDIT: Also played OoT in the last few weeks. Beneath the Well and the Shadow Temple are really well designed levels, shame they aren't as famous as the standard fire/water/forest temples.
    Last edited by Mattwensley; August 03, 2012 at 12:59 PM.
    ~~Knowledge is power, and I do not like the feeling of weakness~~
    ~~If it's a million to one shot, I'll make sure I'm the one~~

First Zelda game I ever played was Links Awakening, and that crazy dog that looks like Pacman's cannibalistic cousin was by far the best part of that game. That thing was a beast, it swallowed enemies whole!

And of course, you can't talk about good moments in Links Awakening without mentioning the first time you steal from the shop, and then the shopkeeper freakin' cyborg blasts you right in the FACE.

And one I consider unique to my stupidity, from when I first payed Ocarina of Time on the n64. I beat the Deku tree, Dodongo's cavern, and Jabu Jabu's belly so naturally I assumed I had completed the game. Then Ganondorf takes over the world and time travel happens and suddenly there are like seven more dungeons to do.

My brain asploded.

As a kid, the Well, Shadow Temple, and the Redead and Gibdo gave me nightmares. Upon reaching the point of going to the Shadow Temple, I would stop playing OoT, hoping that when I got back to playing it the temple would be completed. But alas it was not to be

But anyway, my favorite dungeon in the whole series would have to be Stone Tower Temple. I loved it when once you got the light arrows, you would have to go outside the temple and flip the whole temple. It was like two dungeons in one.

My most hated dungeons are the Water Temple in OoT and Master Quest and the Great Bay Temple in Majora's Mask. They were just really annoying with the layout and it took me forever to complete them. An honorable mention for most hated dungeon is the Fire Temple in Master Quest. Too many torches that need to be lit by Fire Arrows and you can't even get Fire Arrows at that point in time.

(Death by Ruby Guard) - Lyndis Cousland (Death by natural causes) - Selina Cousland (Retconned) - Lucius Cousland (Retconned)

Thomas Horatio Rolfe (Retconned) - Vincent Aurion (Soul consumed by demonic warrior, body now possessed) - Kriam Vaern

Pierre Lorraine

> That ing Feel

Never 5get

The Woodfall Temple in Majora's mask was really really immersive. The music was great, the dungeon was great. IT was just great.
    Last edited by Scar86; August 03, 2012 at 03:44 PM.

Avatar of the Ice Wolf's Avatar Praeses

These two melodies. I can never forget them.

Last edited by Avatar of the Ice Wolf; August 03, 2012 at 04:50 PM.

West: Foranar- Azurita - The Redeemer - Sinteiria - Sakotae the Guardian (Tavia) - Saleria
    East: Nerise - Kiril

Zectorman's Avatar Primicerius

I loved all the music from both OoT and MM but one song, well theme, stood out above the rest for me. It gave me a major case of the chills and made me skitish.

Really gave you that Haunted vibe. Gardens, twisting hallways, Ghosts. Once a beautiful mansion in the forest, now deserted and filled with horrors. God it was creepy when i was a kid and this music brought it to life.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgxBxU9wSP8

Ferdinand Von Terl, he knew how to RP before you could even Speak your name!

@Scar

Quick, change your "never 5get" into "never 4get" before someone hits you with a shamefur dispray. Great moment though, made many gamers very emotional. I was very young when I first saw this scene so I probably didn't get the full impact.

@Zectorman

I agree, that was probably the most eerie music in OoT and definitely deserves a place here. The temple itself was eerie, but add the music and it's downright creepy.

West: Foranar- Azurita - The Redeemer - Sinteiria - Sakotae the Guardian (Tavia) - Saleria

Music wise,

Favorite Overworld Theme:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Favorite Region/Town Theme:

Favorite Dungeon Theme:

Honorable Mentions:

Pierre Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar of the Ice Wolf View Post
    @Scar

Quick, change your "never 5get" into "never 4get" before someone hits you with a shamefur dispray. Great moment though, made many gamers very emotional. I was very young when I first saw this scene so I probably didn't get the full impact.

I didn't get anything about that scene either until I was much older, I was doing the Master quest for the first time.

Never 5get, is something we say on /v/. cause no one ever gets a 5 in their post number .

Also

fave zelda tracks:

almost forgot,, this underrated gem!

oh boy did I hate TWW, almost ruined Zelda for me. But even I can't deny that It was a solid game, and had a great soundtrack. It wasn't the game itself that wounded me. It was what it represented. I saw the armies of children waggling wii mmotes coming, and they we're sailing on pirate ships! Thankfully my Premonition didn't become a reality till much later
    Last edited by Scar86; August 03, 2012 at 07:26 PM.

Zectorman's Avatar Primicerius

I loved the soundtrack for WW, one of the best i personally believe. I mean this was some great noise

I really did not mind the Pirate/sailing theme. Thought it was nice, though the toon vibe thing was offsetting. TP was a move in the right direction, though boring but not toony. SS was dissapointing to me...I mean great graphics but wth, what happened to this:

A Bokoblin that looked pretty creepy. How did it go back to this:

Cartoon Bulldog?!?!?!

But never mind that who remembers this fond tune from our favorite twins?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgxBxU9wSP8

Ferdinand Von Terl, he knew how to RP before you could even Speak your name!

Quote Originally Posted by Zectorman View Post
    I loved the soundtrack for WW, one of the best i personally believe. I mean this was some great noise

I really did not mind the Pirate/sailing theme. Thought it was nice, though the toon vibe thing was offsetting. TP was a move in the right direction, though boring but not toony. SS was dissapointing to me...I mean great graphics but wth, what happened to this:

A Bokoblin that looked pretty creepy. How did it go back to this:

Cartoon Bulldog?!?!?!

But never mind that who remembers this fond tune from our favorite twins?

I loved those tracks!

Lol, I forgot how bad the Twilight Princess Textures looked up close DX. I thought SS was a big step in the wrong direction. But with the Wii-U coming out, hopefully we will get to see Dark, Gritty, High Resolution Zelda in it's next incarnation. The Hardware is certainly capable of it. Just so long as they don't put a Grey Filter And Brownbloom over the entire thing Like Modern FPS's/3ps

wouldn't you be mad if the next Zelda was hyped as "High-res, and gritty"

and then it ended up like this?

Last edited by Scar86; August 03, 2012 at 08:01 PM.

Wind Waker was a good game. Going into it I thought I was going to be disappointed due to the cartoon graphics. However I enjoyed the story and characters. Sailing was a little boring after a while. But still a good game.

Skyward Sword was a pretty good game. I fairly enjoyed it even though I was constantly recalibrating my wii mote, couldn't due a certain mini game, getting hurt because Link swung the sword wrong even though I swung the wii mote right, and not being able to fly at night and no natural day to night transition.

@Scar I also enjoy the Deku Palace Theme, it always gave me that foreign and exotic kingdom feeling.

Pierre Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by ZeR0199X View Post
    Wind Waker was a good game. Going into it I thought I was going to be disappointed due to the cartoon graphics. However I enjoyed the story and characters. Sailing was a little boring after a while. But still a good game.

Skyward Sword was a pretty good game. I fairly enjoyed it even though I was constantly recalibrating my wii mote, couldn't due a certain mini game, getting hurt because Link swung the sword wrong even though I swung the wii mote right, and not being able to fly at night and no natural day to night transition.

@Scar I also enjoy the Deku Palace Theme, it always gave me that foreign and exotic kingdom feeling.

I Agree, it really felt like you had stumbled upon a race untouched by the outside world.

Make no mistake, I thought Wind Waker was a Good game. I just hated what It meant for the future of the gaming industry. I saw what was coming as soon as Reggie became President of Nintendo of America. Perhaps it was a nessecarry evil though, because now the games industry has more buisness than ever before. And in terms of sales, the GC was a catostrophic failure, so I guess Nintendo needed to take a risk when they made the wii.

Still...

@Scar It was that stupid clown's mini game that I could never do. I could never hit anything. Stupid motion controls.

Pierre Lorraine

Seems the music thing really took off. I get such a great nastolgic feeling when I listen to any of these tracks. (How did I forget to list the Deku Palace theme in my post!? I should give myself a shamefur dispray for that.) Anywho, this just shows how big of an effect the music had on Zelda. It really just wouldn't be the same without these epic tracks would it? I would even go far as saying that the music creates more atmosphere than the visuals in some cases. Cheers to Zelda music!

I had always wanted to try the Legend of Zelda games after having heard for years about how brilliant they were, but it wasn't until the end of the N64 cycle that I was able to convince my parents to buy one for me along with the Ocarina of Time. It was an outstanding game, and did capture my imagination, especially on moments such as entering Castle Town for the first time, or the first time that Link traveled through time and witnessed Castle Town in ruins. It took me quite some time to complete, but it was a rush when I finally did. It was then that I heard about The Wind Waker, and even before I had got hold of a Gamecube, I had the game pre-ordered and bought, the version which contained the Ocarina of Time disk, but I admit that the change in graphics did make me nervous.

And when I finally gained a Gamecube nearly 6 months later, well, I was soon proven how wrong my worries over the graphics were. It may have been child-like, but it had a simplistic beauty to it which I had not seen before, it's characters and especially Link were capable of such strong displays of visible emotion which I was not used to in gaming at that time due to animation constraints most games suffered from, combined with one of the most rousing and beautiful sound tracks to date. But, it was the moment when I first gained my own boat in the form of the Red Lion, that The Wind Waker became my favourite game of all time, and even now I try to play it once a year. Instead of on a Gamecube, I now play it through a Dolphin Emulator, using graphics far beyond that which the Playstation 3 is capable, and you know what? It's still beautiful.

I did enjoy Twilight Princess too, but I feel it would have done better to have been released on a more powerful console. But, it was still beautiful in its own right.

No Song of Storms?!?!?!!?

All of you,

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnr839 View Post
    No Song of Storms?!?!?!!?
    Actually the Song of Storms surprisingly was not one of my favorites... until Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It combines the Song of Storms, Ganon's theme, and the Serenade of Water.

First Zelda game ever was the original for the NES. I was like 5 and played it everyday, I could always beat the first temple, but could never find the second, plus I didnt know how to save so i always replayed the first dungeon over and over and over. To this day I could tell you it room by room lol.

As for the music discussiion here all time favorites are:

Stone Tower Temple Theme(MM) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNDLoncWz30
    Sacred Duet/Maledus Battle(ST) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRDzlOGM8_M
    Palace of the Winds(MC) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27-dFpNroWU
    Temple of Droplets(MC) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcjcKZnJqAA
    Ganon's Puppet Princess Zelda(TP) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_W-aLZvvJc
    Overworld Theme(LOZ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpEzYEoV9qY
    Spirit Temple(OoT) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zQghQuzatg
    Pirates Fortress(MM) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43fyBcHdJaE
    Molgera Theme(WW) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlF0-Qs2xkI
    Last edited by Xebenkeck; August 05, 2012 at 11:54 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast