Thread: 3.2 guide to FPoE

Bowmaster's Avatar Biarchus

Default 3.2 guide to FPoE

Yes, I know there has been many Eriador guide-threads, but I haven't seen a 3.2 Eriador guide. I've played Eriador many times to get to Arnor, but I always fall at some point. After that, I either start again or try some other faction. If I try other faction, I play it for about 40 turns, then start Eriador again.

But the question is: what exactly should I do when playing Eriador. I am a total newbie to total war, so please tell exactly what I'm meant to do. I usually take Nenuial, Amon Sul, Allimir and Hoarwell at start. I don't take Tharbad, because it's split into two parts, so I'll simply buy them from Isengard later. I don't start war with anyone, because they(OoG & OotMM) usually start war with me. I once did a full-scale-assault on four Gundabad's settlement's (Athilin, Carn Dum, Coldfells & Gram), believing this would be the end of OoG. But no. They didn't just repel it, they steamrolled my armies. So could somebody please help a bit.

dannyalex's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: 3.2 guide to FPoE

look for 3.1 guides same thing,a friend from the teams state to me 3.2 is some kind bug fixer version,anyway...

But the question is: what exactly should I do when playing Eriador.
    Destroy Orcs of Gundabad,Orcs of Misty Mountains and if isengard is still alive at this point of turn destroy them also.

I am a total newbie to total war, so please tell exactly what I'm meant to do.
    we all start from that point of level,we did nothing but learn from the defeats.

First of all is important to secure all nearby regions that are rebel,dont make to type the names,anything is near u borders worth to be under ur guide,dont go for Athilin or Alimir( is the region north east of Fornost) in the start u will loose fast from Gundabad.

[ I don't take Tharbad, because it's split into two parts, so I'll simply buy them from Isengard later. I don't start war with anyone, because they(OoG & OotMM) usually start war with me. I once did a full-scale-assault on four Gundabad's settlement's (Athilin, Carn Dum, Coldfells & Gram), believing this would be the end of OoG. But no. They didn't just repel it, they steamrolled my armies. So could somebody please help a bit.
    Why u dont take North Tharbad?why?it gives u income! in the start is important to capture those rebel settlements to boost ur economy,something else,dont tell me that in the start u go for big armies?this is suicide...make farms ports mines anything that has relation to economy no buildings with spies and assasins just waste of money and gives ur generals bad traits.

ur army need to flexible

no cavalry units use instead Generals as cavalry much better,try not to loose Aragorn and Gandalf those 2 will help u a lot in the process

archers archers archers archers and again archers,not the expensive once bree basic archers will do ur job done easily

infantry to secure ur archers bree militia does a wonderfull job and is only a meat shield for archers

special units must held back or sent them front if the odds is good.example.: dunedain archers (rearly hard to recruite or replenish them) dont sent them vs 1 unit of orcs or goblin archers they will win but the losses will be high and u must wait several turns to have them in starting numbers ,instead of that sent first a militia unit to to archers and when u see the militia take some damage then sent the dunedain rangers or the dunedain bodyguard to finich the job off

Orcs of Gundabad: easy.few troll units,take first Angmar then go for Gram then Litash and lastly Gundabad leave the other 2 small regions west of angmar for later stages
    Orcs of the Misty Mountains: medium thay are a bit away from ur startinmg regions but anyway u can handle them
    Isengard:not easy at all,those guys have veru good infantry and u at this moment u will have maybe some untis with axes and militia with experience,try to flank them but beware the pikes,pikes vs cavalry=pikes won,u need to make them flee

*something else troll units can not flee,u must kill them all*

having some artillery always helps vs trolls and high morale units

suggest to do a good economy read this :

TATW Strategy Guide http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=257891
    Last edited by dannyalex; August 02, 2012 at 04:16 PM.
    Most Chivalrous commander 2020-2021

dannyalex pretty much touched on everything. Only thing I would add is that as Eriador there can be strategy in encouraging your allies to get involved where you want them to.

What I mean is this: if you leave Nenuial alone, the Dwarves will eventually take it and then take Pitkaranta. This gives them a front against the OoG in the West. Not that you really need their help, but it gives them an enemy to focus on, and otherwise they may decide they want to attack you instead because you took Nenuial which they wanted.

Same deal with the High Elves. If you leave them (or give them) the Fort south of Barrow Downs then it gives them a nice large front against Isengard, who they will almost always go to war against. This should keep Isengard off your back even if Rohan falters.

Also keep an eye on Rivendell, at some point the OotMM always take it over. It's a large, rich settlement and it's not mountains, so it makes a decent staging area for your operations. The custom map is also very easy to defend so there's not much chance of them taking it back from you.

I usually do build inns/taverns/brothels, I don't care that they give bad traits, it's not the end of the world(or is it). They slightly increase happiness and spies and assassins are worth it. I might try making an army of assassins someday and send them to rampage.

OoG recently started war with me by taking Athilin(or was it Allimir). I took it back in few turns with only three Breeland Militias(they left it guarded by only a single general). I'm trying to gather a large army in there to assault any of their settlements that I can reach. Maybe Pitkäranta, then I could give it to the dwarves for money. I have some problems with economy, but nothing big, it's not even bankrupt yet. Giving Pitkaranta to the dwarves means that the days of Orcs of Gundabad would be over. After Gundabad, I could start war with OotMM, which should be easy with the help of the dwarwes. I already have a plan: I would need to take Moria from OotMM, which is the hardest part, since they will get balrogs when Moria is besieged. After that, I give it to dwarves and protect it until dwarves get some garrison in there. Then I should already have Greenways and Dunedain, which would mean that I would be ready for war against Isengard. I don't have to worry about OotMM, since they have enough to do when trying to repel the dwarwes from Moria. I may take Imladris and give it to HE to improve relationships. I believe Isengard should be easy, since they only have few settlements. Their great infantry might be a challenge, but with good tactics, dunedain and Greenways I believe I can take them down. After war with Isengard, I should have the requirements for ARNOR! Then I'm gonna buy a settlement from Gondor and start war with Mordor.

But the problem in my plan is that, if any part of my plan doesn't work, the whole plan is gone! So please, feel free to still give advice.

Quote Originally Posted by warlol View Post
    Giving Pitkaranta to the dwarves means that the days of Orcs of Gundabad would be over.
    dont wait for dwarves nor High elves to help u.at one campaign dwarves attack me after they attack H.E and trust me i didnt win...

the region of eriador and generally can not have 3 major powers eriador elves and dwarves...a another tip if u wish dwarves and elves help u dont block them leave some regions to do something but regarding elves dont let them have all the key ports there,u need ports to boost ur economy,remember ports mines farms and something with animals farms gives u high income

Quote Originally Posted by dannyalex View Post
    at one campaign dwarves attack me after they attack H.E and trust me i didnt win...
    That's why I made an alliance with the dwarves. I've never seen a computer breaking alliances.

OK, now I have almost kicked off the OoG(they have two settlements left: Gundabad and Coldfells). It was fun to watch how they asked: please do not attack when I made diplomacy negotiatons, that led to nothing. I have a nice culture in settlements, and I'm starting to recover from the war. I'm gonna try to keep Isengard quiet, because I don't dare to cross their lands, that hold mighty infantry, before I get Greenwayders and Dunedain. Amon Sul can now make Dunedain rangers, but that's not enough. I've changed the names of Pitkaranta and Ruskea vene to Alándir and Halbard (In honour of Elendil and my general, Halbarad). Carn Dum is my most protected settlement, but I think that when I finish retraining the units there, I'm gonna send them to my eastern borders, ready to assault the Mountains. I'm afraid of Moria, which will be my first target (of course I'm gonna first clean the filth in my way), because it has Garrison script, and they get Balrogs there the moment I knock on Moria's door. But no matter. "I shall pass".

Greenway far better form bree militia and dunedain rangers and cavalry bodygurds rule! isengard and then Mordor! if u destroy ootmm carn dum has little strategy use aka useless cause if u train units there u will have to wait many turns to reach their destination.question what does ur dwarves in ur game?

Greenway far better form bree militia and dunedain rangers and cavalry bodygurds rule! isengard and then Mordor! if u destroy ootmm carn dum has little strategy use aka useless cause if u train units there u will have to wait many turns to reach their destination.question what does ur dwarves in ur game?
    Carn Dum is the only recruiting location in the North, which makes it worthy( I retrained my whole Bree-army there that had defended the place). Dwarves are mostly just turtling in their mountains, and 'cause of that, I'm glad I didn't give Alándir(renamed Pitkaranta) to them. They would have lost it in a few turns. But now I notice, that the OoG still have some power to resist me(that's because their last two settlement's have Garrison Script). Tried taking Coldfells and Gundabad from them, but they defended both places successfully. I reloaded, did some wicer desicions, and now Coldfells is in my loving arms. Haven't yet taken Gundabad, but it will soon be mine!

By the way, I am closer to restoring Arnor than ever before! I just need to make an alliance with Gondor, build the House of Kings and take Tharbad, Hoarwell, and if I know right, Barrow-Downs( yeah, yeah, I never took Barrow-Downs because it's pretty worthless place, always thinked: "I can take it whenever I want, but not now"). Now all of those places are either in the hands of Isengard or OotMM, which means that I would have to start war with them, or buy them. And I don't want to buy them, because my economy is not in the greatest position ever, though I'm not bankrupt. And I want to save money to build something in Bree and Annuminas, because Bree is right now building Stone Walls, which means that it becomes a Minor City, and soon I can do the same to Annuminas, which means that I get my hands on Eriador's better tier-units. With those better units, I might be able to challenge Isengard, and what helps is that High Elves have started war against them and that Isengard has lost Isengard. Not that High Elves will be aiding me in my battles against them, but it will turn some of Isengard's attention to them, which should be a big help. But first, I need to really bring my super-units to use, I have to recover from the losses from the war, and destroy Gundabad completely. "Leave none alive!".

A little question: can I still recruit Dunedain Ranger-units when Arnor? I've heard someone saying that it's possible, but it may be possible only in some other patches, such as 3.0, or in a submod like MOS.

Quote Originally Posted by warlol View Post
    A little question: can I still recruit Dunedain Ranger-units when Arnor? I've heard someone saying that it's possible, but it may be possible only in some other patches, such as 3.0, or in a submod like MOS.
    yeap...

Now I have completely destroyed Gundabad and OotMM started war with me. I have taken Orc Outpost in the North and Ost-In-Edhil in the South. I am besieging Moria with an almost full stack army made of almost only Dunedain. Bree and Annuminas are Minor City's, so now I have full access to Dunedain. I'm struggling with economy, but I'm holding it.
    (yeah, yeah, I'm fin player of TATW 3.2...

In Memoriam: Blackomur89

Save MERP and TATW!

if u spare some generals put them in cities like governors to maximize ur income,disband units that u dont use,u will mimize ur wages.

an almost full stack army made of almost only Dunedain.
    i imagine the screams from the orcs...run run to the hills!

if u spare some generals put them in cities like governors to maximize ur income,disband units that u dont use,u will mimize ur wages.
    I'm already doing that.

Save MERP and TATW!

Laetus

I play on VH/H and here's what I do on my first few turns.

Turn 1:
    Send Aragon to Annuminas. (its only 0.5% but its 0.5% better than nothing.
    Gandalf heads east past Staddle taking all the units + general from there and Bree.
    Gather and join up all the generals/units from Annuminas & Fornost sending them south to the Barrow downs.
    Gather up the Generals/units from the halfling towns and send them towards the Barrow downs via the crossing east of Longbottom which doesn't have bandins lurking in ambush.
    Send the spy south past the downs to spot it.
    Build a chicken farm & Diplomat @ Annuminas and the building that lets you recruit archers at fornost, Bree & Staddle. Leave the shire alone if you plan to give them autonomy which I usually do.
    Go through all your now empty towns to turn off auto and set them all on growth which will sort out any public order issues.

-----

Turn 2 onwards:

General:
    Start working on economy and build archers at Bree, Fornost and Staddle once the buildings are built. Gandalfs Army will need to be reinforced so send them his way, the other army should be fine. Send your first "of age" general to Fornost and aim at getting a few units stationed there by the time Gandalf declares war on the Orcs, you probably wont be attacked before your other army returns from Lunaith but better safe than sorry and also youll have fresh reinforcements to join them for the northward push.

Gandalfs army:
    Send Gandalfs army to take north Tharbad taking care to cut accross off the road to avoid the bandit ambush which you don't need right now, if you are lucky you might be able to grab south Thardad too if Isengard doesn't have it yet. Leave a unit at either north or south Tharbad and head to Hoarwell and then to Amun Sul, all the while getting reinforcements from your other towns. After Amun Sul once you have around 3/4 of an archer heavy stack go and take coldfells then cram then Carn Dum. From there he will move east and take the other two Orc territories once he is ready.

Other army:
    Take Barrow downs, head south and take the Argond then northwest and take Allimir (your spy should be travelling ahead to spot these for you). After that send it northwest to lay siege to Lunelaith. I usually just siege them out because they have quite a large force there. By now Gandalf should be starting his assault on the Orcs.
    Once Lunelaith is taken send the army to fornost where there will be some reinforcements waiting, when ready send them north to take Athilin and head north to take those other two settlements up there, Nenuial will be owned by the Dwarves which keeps the Orcs occupied at the start, you can buy it off them later on once you are rich.

Battle:
    Archers first, on unwalled towns send the archers til they are at max range to the nearest enemy unit and let them auto fire. The unit will come out and be slaughtered by the arrows, rinse and repeat until no arrows are left then send your riders in from to take out their archers quickly while charging your militia in from the front.

Amon sul (cheese): If you are having trouble assaulting Amon Sul, move your army up the ramp til you are near the top then stop. Send an archer unit to the top of the ramp and let them auto fire on the bandits til they are out of ammo, keep a melee unit nearby on the ramp just in case the archers get charged. Once the archer is out of ammo replace with another unit and repeat until the two units of bandits and the axemen are whittled down. Then you can charge their archers (who shouldn't have been shooting until now if you did this right) and finish the battle with low losses. I used a unit of mercenary bandits to lead the charge and take most of the losses to the arrow spam so my main host had minimal losses and was ready to move on.

-----

You could have all that and destroyed the OOG by turn 40, maybe earlier if you are either good or lucky.
    After all that you can either look for someone else to beat up or begin the long camp to get Annuminas built up and convert to Arnor (expect it to be after turn 120 sometime because it takes ages and many of the old techniques to fast build it are no longer valid in 3.2).

I tried camping it out after defeating the OOG and by turn 90 I had over 100k in savings despite building everything I could build in all my towns, this unfortunately made my generals corrupt and I decided to restart. I've yet to see Arnor because I tend to get bored by then, it simply takes too long for my taste though it was never meant to be easy.

Laetus

Oh, I can't edit so here's a couple of things I missed. D:

Send the Diplomat straight away to forge an alliance with Isengard, this protects your south flank and allows you to concentrate on the north.
    The halflings that were gathered up will join the army heading south towards the Barrow downs.

If I ever need a new guide for FPoE, I'm gonna look at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=559651.

Somebody could close this thread.

Save MERP and TATW!