Thread: Will we see the Plumbatarii and the Legio Lanciarii in AOD2 ?

Will we see the Plumbatarii and the Legio Lanciarii in AOD2 ? Plus will we see the palatina troops and excubitors ?

Will we see legion units with Intercisa Helmets and Spangehelm Helmets.

Basically, will we see units similar to the Roman units/ legions from the 5th century ?
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; August 03, 2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: 3 posts combined

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

Default Re: Will we see the Plumbatarii and the Legio Lanciarii in AOD2 ?

[1] The usage of darts (plumbatae) is described in the Strategikon - therefore they will be used in AoD2. But not for a specific unit. Some will use the Veruta, others the Plumbatae - since the game mechanic of RTW allows just 2 weapons.

[2] The Lanciarii were a Numerus in Thracia - therefore this unit is represented in AoD2 as well. The unit is not a generic term for a couple of units.

[3] AoD2 will offer units with different helmets. I have also researched the helmet-question and written an essay about it... a text which will be published somewhere in the future, which provides information about e.g. the Attic-like or pseudo-attic helmet. You will find this one as well as other kind of helmets (of course including the Spangenhelmet).

[4] concerning the appearance of our soldiers I want suggest (once more by the way) to keep an eye on our previews. The last one was a teaser (probably 2 weeks old) which shows some of our romans.
    e.g. this:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=551814
    please understand that we cannot (and we don't want) give more information since everything is still under construction - and I think it is quite fair if you guys let us keep some of our secrets until AoD2 is released.

[5] Finally I don't understand the question about the palatine troops or the excubitores? Are you afraid that they are not displayed by AoD2?

Regards
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; August 03, 2012 at 06:15 PM.

Thanks for the information.

I was just wondering if the palatine troops can also be recruited in Rome if you capture Rome. Also will the Numerus wear some sort of body armour like somthing similar to some sort of chain mail ?
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; August 04, 2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: 3 posts combined

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

Quote Originally Posted by romano britones View Post
    Thanks for the information.
    cheers

I was just wondering if the palatine troops can also be recruited in Rome if you capture Rome.
    you know that we are speaking about the mid 6th century?!
    So, no, even if you take Rome you haven't the possibility to recruit Palatinae units.
    Moreover, since the Termini of Comitatenses, Limitanei and Palatina were just a classification - and not a special type of troops - I think that the distinction between them is mostly overrated. That there was a difference in equipment, armament and quality of certain troops is for sure - but just the term "Palatina" is not an evidence per se for that.

Concerning Italy in the 6th century there is really no indication or any kind of evidence that any kind of elite field force was deployed by the Romans. Therefore it doesn't make sense to install those units to the western provinces - or more correctly: the player shouldn't have the chance to recruit them in Italia or Spania.
    For the east one can observe that terms like Cohors, Legio, Vexillatio,Auxilia etc became somewhat wishy-washy - even if officially still valid in the Codex Iustinianus. There was probably no difference anymore between the different types of troops. The common term for all troops was the Numerus. There was however a difference concerning the inner organisation and titles for officers between old units and new deployed Numeri. But this had nothing to do with the upper mentioned unit names.

Also will the Numerus wear some sort of body armour like somthing similar to some sort of chain mail ?
    This information cannot be given at the moment since we are not entirely sure and research is still ongoing. But yes, so long as the units were deployed under the leadership of the Rhomaioi you can expect a kind of body armour.
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; August 04, 2012 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks again.