Thread: Close Combat series

Echbart's Avatar Decanus

Default Close Combat series

I would like to thank you for all titles from great CC series! Wacht am Rhein and Last Stand Arnhem are the best

Lord Zimoa's Avatar Slitherine Games
    Citizen

Default Re: Close Combat series

Thanks, I hope to bring some more detailed news in the coming news for all Close Combat fans, but here a small selection from our Wargaming Press event in Stresa, Italy last April:

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog will come Q4 2012!

Number of squads to control in Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog has been upped to a total of 21 squads, with sizes up to ten men!

With Slitherine acquiring the Close Combat license, this will be the last Close Combat on the original engine, with a new Close Combat coming out in the near future utilizing a new engine.

The graphical detail in Panthers in the Fog has been updated to 32-bit, with an improved UI as well, along with Slitherine's integrated multiplayer lobbies.

The new Close Combat will be using the Unity engine, moving the series into 3D, while still retaining the essence of the game, while improving gameplay such as the LOS detail. Projected release is 2013, with a release on both the Mac and PC. In the not-too-distant future the series will move to the iPad tablet.

CC 3D will still be able to be played in the classic CC view of the top-down perspective. The big benefit of bringing it to the 3D realm is to finally get a better perspective on line of sight and line of fire to enemy units. I've had some frustrating moments in the classic CC series where it appears my squad in a house has a clear line of sight to an enemy unit, but it turns out the hill between the squad and the enemy was high enough to block it. With the 2D art, it can be difficult to see elevation issues, unless they added elevation rings like the ones you see in maps (which I have a secret admiration for to read and interpret), but we think bringing the CC series to 3D will be just fine.

I don't believe that if it couldn't be done right, it wouldn't be done at all. Close Combat is a well-known, well-loved tactical combat strategy game by a lot of people. At this time the only thing people can see is the words that it is 3D, there is no screenshots for it yet to show how faithful it will be. I think once we get more into development with it and release assets to the public, it'll be a good time to make judgements.
    More and the latest news about the Close Combat series can be found at our forum:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=176

Cheers,

Tim aka LZ

Indefinitely Banned

wow this is spectacular news! Can't wait to see the next title, and the rebirth of the close combat series, Close Combat: A Bridge To Far was my first RTS game, after playing the Close Combat Demo on my old Windows 95 operating system. Recently bought Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem, and often go head to head with my pals online for "The Longest Day" or the mod "Bloody Omaha". Loved Battle of the Bulge too, trying to keep my battered companys from shattering in the first days... great game series......

Also Spartan, Chariots of Fire, and Legions were personal favourites too, still struggle today playing Spartan, and funny enough have been playing it since ive heard about the Rome 2 release, So much historical detail in those games!

But i can't stress enough how much i love the close combat series, grew up on that game, and use to be obsessed with world war 2, ive always wondered if you guys or matrix would have made one set in the pacific, Italy, or afrika.

But so happy you guys have a sub forum here, and we now have more direct contact with developers, can't believe i can now keep tabs on my two favourite game series in the same forums now, Total War Games, & the Close Combat series.

Thanks for all the great games!!! and actually learnt alot from them during my younger days, and inspired me to learn so much...

ahhh just great!! made my day, for me thats like hearing Bruce Campbell/Sam Raimi gonna do another Evil Dead movie, just brilliant!
    Last edited by AgentGB; August 01, 2012 at 11:35 AM.

Citizen

Thanks again for the kind words.

Also Spartan, Chariots of Fire, and Legions were personal favourites too
    I also hope to bring some news about this in the coming months, but all I can say at this point: there is more in the pipeline! :-)

Cheers,

Tim aka LZ

Echbart's Avatar Decanus

Great news for the future

And yeah i alos remember my first CC demo the Russian Front on Win95 - it was just awesome. I just started to read in my primary school about WWII during the classes ( i just didnt listen to teachers and read big books about WWII ). Since then i play some time more, some less CC series.

Echbart's Avatar Decanus

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/view...806290c3d3788a

For those who might be interested - new CC announced

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

That's great! I look forward to its release!

Citizen

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Advances!

The last traditional Close Combat game set to launch soon!

Arlington, VT, October 4, 2012 – January 1st, 1996. Microsoft releases the first Close Combat, which launches the most successful computer wargame series in history. Almost seventeen years and fifteen releases later, the most popular real-time tactical wargame is back! With the release of Close Combat: Panthers in the Fogby Matrix Games (www.matrixgames.com) and Slitherine (www.slitherine.com), the franchise goes full circle.

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog depicts an historical battle that closely follows the events of Operation Overlord, which was the setting of the very first release. The Battle of Mortain, when the 47th German Panzer Corps launched a desperate week-long assault on the strategic position of Hill 315 where the U.S. 30th Infantry Division proudly defended the allied gains made during Operation Cobra and ensured the success of the breakout from Normandy and the liberation of France.
    Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog has all the classic ingredients of its predecessors. Using an updated version of the engine, the game features factors such as ammo, morale, experience, suppressive fire, cover and concealment, along with weapon types, armor facing and penetration.

For the last time, the classic sprite and 2D artwork engine is used, but with improvements. With Panthers in the Fog, the game has been given a boost, bumping from the old 16-bit graphics to the much more detailed and impressive 32-bit graphics. Terrain and units look a lot better and players are now able to enjoy a never-seen-before level of detail.

With 35 linked battlefields and historically accurate formations and units, strategic choices are as important as tactical prowess. New features such as long-range interdiction, strategic high ground and adverse weather conditions give the player insight into the challenges faced by those who commanded both sides in this pivotal World War II battle.

The game includes more than 50 historically accurate key units and 47 weapon types rendered in exact detail. With 35 unique regions to fight over, the possibility of commanding up to 21 squads per battle and truly enhanced multiplayer experience using Slitherine's integrated lobby system, Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog has all the elements to become a classic like all its predecessors.

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog is aiming to release this November. For more information on Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog, view the official product page on the Matrix Games or Slitherine website.

Indefinitely Banned

Neat!

Citizen

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview Released!

Developers weigh in on the critical questions

Arlington, VT, October 31, 2012 – Matrix Games (www.matrixgames.com) and Slitherine (www.slitherine.com) are proud to release an interview with the development team behind the upcoming tactical strategy game Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog, the latest in the classic and critically-acclaimed Close Combat series. The developer interview goes into detail about the new Close Combat game: new features, graphics, and more!

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog centers on the German counter-offensive at Mortain in 1944 during World War II. Facing defeat in Normandy, the Wehrmacht must capitalize on their offensive to push the Allies back into the sea, while the Allies must marshal their defenses and maintain their post-invasion positions. With 35 linked battlefields, a grand campaign, and a multitude of single scenarios, the entire aspect of this conflict is covered. Wargamers will also appreciate the updated 32-bit graphics, improved animations, improved strategic layer and the gritty real-time tactical combat that Close Combat is well-known for.

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog got the all-star treatment, as it will be the last 2D Close Combat of the series. The next time any wargamer commands their forces on the newest Close Combat, the series will be in stunning 3D!

To read the interview, visit the Matrix Games or Slitherine forums. For more information on Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog, visit the official product page on the Matrix Games and Slitherine website.

Citizen

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Trailer Released!

From the fog comes more action!

Arlington, VT, November 7, 2012 – Matrix Games (www.matrixgames.com) and Slitherine (www.slitherine.com) are excited to release the newest Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog trailer, providing a dramatic reveal of a few gameplay scenes for the upcoming real-time tactical strategy game. Other surprises lurk in the trailer itself, such as the force selection screen and more!

The trailer is now able to be viewed on either the Matrix Games or Slitherine YouTube channels. Be sure to also subscribe to the channels to view the latest videos, trailers, and more as they become available!

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog is the latest upcoming release in the critically-acclaimed Close Combat series. Centered on the German Army’s counter-attack at Mortain, France in 1944, Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog tasks the players with leading the counter-attack or commanding the Allies as they make their stand against the Wehrmacht’s last-ditch effort. Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog is receiving an all-star treatment as the final 2D Close Combat: updated 32-bit visuals, new features such as mounting units and troops, and an enhanced multiplayer lobby system from Slitherine.

For more information on Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog, check out the official product pages on the Matrix Games or Slitherine website.