Thread: Does The Bible really tell women to cut off their hair!?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cyrene's Avatar Vicarius

Default Does The Bible really tell women to cut off their hair!?

i always hear about this thing, i checked it on the internet to make sure, and i found this!:

The bible clearly says "If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head"

1 Corinthians 11:6.

if the bible says this, why christian women refuse to obey their God

(( note that i don't want to start a fight here, Nor Try To offense any one, i just want to have a " friendly disscussion" here. ))

Menelik_I's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Republic of Angola, Permitte divis cetera.

Default Re: Does The Bible really tell women to cut off their hair!?

Quote Originally Posted by Apple Bloom View Post
    i always hear about this thing, i checked it on the internet to make sure, and i found this!:

The bible clearly says "If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head"

(( note that i don't want to start a fight here, Nor Try To offense any one, i just want to have a " friendly disscussion" here. ))
    Read phrase inside the context.

1 Corinthians 11:3

Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

1 Corinthians 11:4

Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head.

And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head--it is just as though her head were shaved.

1 Corinthians 11:6

If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head.

1 Corinthians 11:7
    A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man.
    Read the verse in the context and you will see that this is not a dressing code nor a hairstyle code by a recommendation for a specific activity ''prays or prophesies''. But even here it says only that not covering the head is like walking around shaved, it doesn't say that you should go shave your sister.

There is something called context, taking it into account avoids silly discussions and guaranty friendly conversation.
    « Le courage est toujours quelque chose de saint, un jugement divin entre deux idées. Défendre notre cause de plus en plus vigoureusement est conforme à la nature humaine. Notre suprême raison d’être est donc de lutter ; on ne possède vraiment que ce qu’on acquiert en combattant. »Ernst Jünger
    La Guerre notre Mère (Der Kampf als inneres Erlebnis), 1922, trad. Jean Dahel, éditions Albin Michel, 1934

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

So if she does not pray or prophesies (What?) with her head uncovered, shave her, is what it means in context ? Sounds like a dress code for prayer to me .

If anything, 11:4 sounds like justification for 11:6 .
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

Menelik_I's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Republic of Angola, Permitte divis cetera.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthLazy View Post
    So if she does not pray or prophesies (What?)
    I am not also familiar with what this is referring to specifically, so you would have to check the wider context to see what circunstancies they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthLazy View Post
    is what it means in context ? Sounds like a dress code for prayer to me .

If anything, 11:4 sounds like justification for 11:6 .
    If anything this is just a troll thread, but I really don't really care that much, anyone with a doubt should read the entire chapter to see what is it about and also go check the catholic exegeses discussion about dressing codes (if there is any at all), because there is such a thing as 2000 years of christian tradition and study of the Bible.
    Last edited by Menelik_I; July 31, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
    « Le courage est toujours quelque chose de saint, un jugement divin entre deux idées. Défendre notre cause de plus en plus vigoureusement est conforme à la nature humaine. Notre suprême raison d’être est donc de lutter ; on ne possède vraiment que ce qu’on acquiert en combattant. »Ernst Jünger
    La Guerre notre Mère (Der Kampf als inneres Erlebnis), 1922, trad. Jean Dahel, éditions Albin Michel, 1934

Quote Originally Posted by Apple Bloom View Post

Here's the historical context:

In Corinth at that time there were very, VERY many temples to Aphrodite the goddess of love.
    Sacred prostitutes existed that cohabited with men...apparently to appease/appeal to the goddess.

These prostitutes were denoted and recognized by their shaved heads actually.

Paul is saying that "If prostitutes do this, and it's wrong, you also should not be like them." In short.

The Greek words here for "Head" and "Authority" and the rest of the historical context get "entangled" especially with the syntax miss/ma'am/sir.
    Head here in Greek is "Kefalee"
    Authority here in Greek is "Exousia" I believe.
    "For/Because of the angels" is probably "Dia ton Angellon"
    This particular part of I Corinthians is a tad tricky.

Being Greek and speaking Greek as my first language, trust me things get complex but not confusing. Greek, like other languages, has words that have multiple shades of meaning but denote one particular emotion/state and thing/item. It's linguistics essentially.

The complete story in Corinth revolves around Paul rebuking this Church for it's slacking off of Christian morals & ethic....Read the rest of Corinthians using the New American Standard Bible 1995 edition SLOWLY, making notes as you go, and then you will see that what I say is right. The church of Corinth was all kinds of messed up but loved God.

hellas1..........Peace Jigga......

In reality it's Paul saying this, to specific people and with a specific purpose (hellas1 covered this excellently), not 'The Bible'
    قرطاج يجب ان تدمر

Quote Originally Posted by motiv-8 View Post
    In reality it's Paul saying this, to specific people and with a specific purpose (hellas1 covered this excellently), not 'The Bible'
    Thank you for your kind words!
    I have relatives that live outside of the ancient city of Corinth and in Athens, Thessaloniki as well as Veria called "Berea" in the New Testament (it is here that Philip II of Macedon's hill tomb is and I actually walked down the steps too! Far out!)

I only try to be a blessing around here. Perhaps you and Basics are the only people who see this.

Praise God.

Salaam
    hellas1