Thread: metal that gets stronger when heated

The Last Spartan's Avatar Campidoctor

Default metal that gets stronger when heated

yeah, I've heard of it, but don't know the name. does anyone know anything about it?

Darth Wong's Avatar Pit Bull

Default Re: metal that gets stronger when heated

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Spartan
    yeah, I've heard of it, but don't know the name. does anyone know anything about it?
    Any metal can get stronger when heated if you're talking about the right temperature range. If the metal is below its ductile-brittle transition point, then heating it will make it more ductile, which will in turn make it tougher. But for most mundane metals, that transition point is very low.

Yes, I have a life outside the Internet and Rome Total War
    "Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions" - Stephen Colbert
    Under the kind patronage of Seleukos

carl-the-conqueror's Avatar Centenarius

probably some metal with a high melting point (if my chemistry is right) like tungsten

sgtgoody's Avatar Civis

Are you thinking of various memory metals like nitinol (or something like that)? When you expose them to heat they snap back into their orignial shape but I don't know about getting stronger.

In "The Core" unobtanium got stronger as it was heated. Hollywood wouldn't show us something that isn't real would they?
    If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

I have not heard of a metal that gets stronger when heated. However I do know any metal can be made stronger by heating and cooling it at the proper rates.
    “Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "A man has no principles, or morals, if he does not act with great conviction upon those which he claims to have."
    "For some reason beyond all rational and logical thought, an arcane belief continues to exist. That the actions of one somehow warrants the limitation, or even the revocation, of the unalienable liberties of another. While the intentions behind this rationale could be considered noble, it is unexcusably naive, and must be resisted at all costs."

carl-the-conqueror's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by War Bringer
    I have not heard of a metal that gets stronger when heated. However I do know any metal can be made stronger by heating and cooling it at the proper rates.
    doesnt that make cracks, and/or the metal becomes warped ??

no, steel is hardened by heating/cooling. sword smiths used clay to coat parts of the steel they want to cool slowly to control whether or not they want a soft or hard steel. a good sword will have hard steel on the cutting edge and soft steel elsewhere so absorb impacts.

you can also fold steel while it's hot and maleable and cool it to give it sort of a grain/molecular pattern that makes it stronger as well

i imagine this can be done with other metals/alloys as well

Quote Originally Posted by carl-the-conqueror
    doesnt that make cracks, and/or the metal becomes warped ??
    Its called heat treating. The hotter you get a metal and the quicker you cool it off, the harder it gets. However hard metal is also brittle, so there is always a balance.
    “Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "A man has no principles, or morals, if he does not act with great conviction upon those which he claims to have."
    "For some reason beyond all rational and logical thought, an arcane belief continues to exist. That the actions of one somehow warrants the limitation, or even the revocation, of the unalienable liberties of another. While the intentions behind this rationale could be considered noble, it is unexcusably naive, and must be resisted at all costs."