Is there any way to get Triemes

How do you trigger Seleucid Reforms

How to you make colonies and what exactly are they

Default Re: Questions about the mod

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Of Seleucid View Post
    Is there any way to get Triemes

How do you trigger Seleucid Reforms

How to you make colonies and what exactly are they
    To get Triemes you just need to build a higher level dock.

No sure about the reforms or colonies, not played Seleucid yet. However the colonies should have something to do with the happiness, law, troop recruitment and taxes of the province. Best way to figure that out is by reading the descriptions and some trial and error. I think one of the reforms for the Seleucids has something to do with losing a battle with parathia???? not sure.

debux's Avatar Senator

Triremes have been explained, you can look up the requirements for the Seleucid reforms in the ExRM 4.0 documentation (stickied on the main mod forum), and colonies are used to have certain provinces fully under your control, and to be able to recruit faction troops, but they've very expensive and time-consuming to build up. You can start building up a colony on a region you've conquered and pacified (you built the first government level). I can't remember the name of it for the seleucids, but it's usually the one that takes the most time to build.
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

The Documents doesn't say anything about Legionarres and is Parthia and Armenia are already dead, does that mean seleucid reforms don't happen?

And does Colonization mean you can create new settlements?

debux's Avatar Senator

The Documents doesn't say anything about Legionarres and is Parthia and Armenia are already dead, does that mean seleucid reforms don't happen?
    The Roman Army was a formidable force, but the socio-economic system that created its citizen soldiers changed over time, forcing the army to do likewise. As the farms of citizen soldiers were gobbled up by the great latifundia of the senatorial class, the army began to look to men who couldn't provide their own equipment. Following the lead of Gaius Marius, generals and/or the state (it varied) equipped these men at their own expense. With training and experience, these soldiers were nearly unstoppable. When inexperienced and poorly led, though, whole armies of them occasionally collapsed and were lost. This is reflected by the relatively poor quality of new recruits (though they are still well-equipped) compared to the skills of the evocati (or recalled) legionary units.
    Taken off directly off the documentation. Do you really want to play a game where you are told exactly what you have to do to get something? Don't you find the description I quoted above rather intuitive? It could be something about the "farms of citizen soldiers were gobbled up by the great latifundia", but I really don't know. If you follow the historical route of the Republic (which you will undoubtedly do, in this sense) you should get those Legionnaires in no time. And if you never lost a crushing battle against Armenia and Parthia, it pretty much means that you never needed those Cataphracts anyway!

And does Colonization mean you can create new settlements?
    In a way, yes. But it's within the same city. What you are doing is sending your faction's citizens (in your case, native macedonians or seleucids) to a certain region (where you're building the "Colonization" building). So basically, you're building a settlement of your own factions citizens inside what was someone else's city.

Although note, this affects unit recruitment and city management only, it makes little to no changes to the campaign map itself.
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

Oh I meant seleucid Legionaires, but colonization seems exactly like taking control over the city. I don't get how it says "every campaign is different."

Caesar Augustus's Avatar Senator

For the Seleucids they create a pool of Macedonians within the city, so you can create phalangites (and other faction troops) I think.
    Please leave your name if you rep. It will be returned

debux's Avatar Senator

If you conquer a city that already has an advanced colony/city of a foreign nation (for example, a roman settlement in a Athens), it mean that you can recruit roman troops as well. Again, the campaign map itself doesn't change, but the construction and recruitment options (most of the changes are kind of imaginary, you have to kind of this the "would-be-Athens" as a city already inhabited by greeks and roman on the moment of your conquest.) So that means, that depending of what factions have had control for an extended period of time a certain territory, you have different recruitment options, depending on what factions settled that settlement.

So, now that I come to think about it, you should be able to recruit parthian cataphracts in parthian settlements... have you tried that?

Seleucid legionnaires, or historically known as "Thorakitai", are unlocked at a high barracks level, if I'm not mistaken.

What are the requirements for losing to Parthia in order to get Cataphracts. The Agema is available in Media so getting them from Parthia is kind of pointless.

debux's Avatar Senator

If it doesn't say in the documentation, then you're gonna have to find out yourself, I'm no know-all. Try to have fun in the way, instead of having a defined goal. Let history play itself out, instead of following a line of achievements you're doing right now.

You can always look up the script files if you're that desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by debux View Post
    If it doesn't say in the documentation, then you're gonna have to find out yourself, I'm no know-all. Try to have fun in the way, instead of having a defined goal. Let history play itself out, instead of following a line of achievements you're doing right now.

You can always look up the script files if you're that desperate.
    How do I look at the script

Carados's Avatar Senator

What are the requirements for losing to Parthia in order to get Cataphracts. The Agema is available in Media so getting them from Parthia is kind of pointless.

Seems you don't want the upgraded Agema, then.

I'm not 100% sure on the specifics, but you need to lose* a big battle against Parthia (or Sarmatia), and the enemy must contain a sizeable amount of heavy cavalry - and by heavy cavalry I mean the internal heavy cavalry that the game defines, hover over the unit in battle mode to find out.

* lose here almost certainly means taking lots of casualties as well, but I'm not sure what the numbers are that are floating about in my head. I keep remembering 20% but I don't know if that is the minimum size of enemy heavy cavalry required.
    Developer for the Extended Realism mod for RTR Platinum.
    Developer for RTRVII and protégé of Caligula Caesar

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.