Thread: Sounds and distance

Default Sounds and distance

I noticed in Shogun II sounds seem to change the father away you get from them. For example explosion sound differently far away than up close.

I was wondering if this were true for Napoleon as well since I looked through both games packs and didn't see any significant changes in file structure. Explosions there still have the the same "sml, med, lrg" organizing pattern in Shogun like in Napoleon.

Is there anyway to gain that effect in Napoleon as well?
    [signature]

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Sounds and distance

It should. It is defined in a CSV file where you can specify the hearing distance and the fade.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    It should. It is defined in a CSV file where you can specify the hearing distance and the fade.
    Yeah, but the ones in Shogun seem to sound differently entirely when from a distance. Does that come with the NTW one you are talking about? Does it distort the sound some or does it just lower the volume the farther you get.
    [signature]

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

I think it just lower the volumes.

I'm pretty sure there are new sounds for further distance in Shogun that came with FOTS, for both both muskets and cannons. If this can be defined in CSV file, than it should be possible to port them.

Under the Patronage of: Ishan

Quote Originally Posted by BullGod View Post
    I'm pretty sure there are new sounds for further distance in Shogun that came with FOTS, for both both muskets and cannons. If this can be defined in CSV file, than it should be possible to port them.
    I suppose I'd need to find that file, and its equivelent in NTW along with those new sound files. I'll check and see if I can make that happen. Thanks for the answers guys.
    [signature]

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

I'm very keen on this topic myself.

When I thought I noticed distant cannon in M2TW, I tried to adress the topic here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=457423

But if the latest files in S2TW do indeed perform this function, I'd be most interested.

I suggest that it all depends on whether the Miles sound calibration software is the same in both games.
    If it is, then the function triggers tabled in S2TW might also work in NTW. It could come down to tables found in db and sounds found in sfx, and if the switches governing their behaviors are supported by the games sound system.

But IF the sound system is not the same version in both titles, then we have little hope of seeing the added effects function, even if we ported the files over to what seems like the correct places.

Because I find it highly unlikely (much less even legal) to be able to transpose a different sound management software functionally. At that level I'm sure it'd be a hardcode issue.
    I'm not even sure if it's Miles Sound System in both titles or not.

I'm just guessing without looking atm.
    Last edited by Live2sculpt; August 19, 2012 at 02:18 PM.