Thread: Changing Generals Bodyguard of newly enlisted generals ?

Default Changing Generals Bodyguard of newly enlisted generals ?

Hello forum ,

Ive understood how to change the Bodyguards of starting generals but as stated in the title , how do u change those that are newly enlisted ?

Regards
    RuiQi

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: Changing Generals Bodyguard of newly enlisted generals ?

Impossible, all new generals born or adopted or Man of the Hour get the generic bodyguard.

The only possible exception is if it's a named character (aka a child in the tree when the tree starts) getting of age, then a scripts can give him another kind of BG, used in the Uncle Imrahil patch http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...5#post11106895,
    If that's of interest speak to Kilic who came up with the script http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...5#post11106895

cheers N'
    Last edited by Ngugi; July 27, 2012 at 10:33 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

You can change the default bodyguard which means that all generals will get this other one instead of the old one (except for those that are given special ones in descr_strat and script).

I'm not 100% sure but the rule is: in export_descr_unit the first unit from the top that has the "general_unit" attribute, for that faction, is the default bodyguard for that faction. Give another unit this attribute and move the unit to before the other one and it should be the new default bodyguard.

BUT: if it is a unit that can also be recruited then recruiting them might also be recruiting generals.

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    You can change the default bodyguard which means that all generals will get this other one instead of the old one (except for those that are given special ones in descr_strat and script).

I'm not 100% sure but the rule is: in export_descr_unit the first unit from the top that has the "general_unit" attribute, for that faction, is the default bodyguard for that faction. Give another unit this attribute and move the unit to before the other one and it should be the new default bodyguard.

BUT: if it is a unit that can also be recruited then recruiting them might also be recruiting generals.
    So what you're telling me is that I can be rid of those pesky cavalry generals for ALL factions without actually having to know how to mod properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfgard the Unmaker View Post
    So what you're telling me is that I can be rid of those pesky cavalry generals for ALL factions without actually having to know how to mod properly?
    Sounds credible. Test. That's how you learn

Back up export_descr_unit
    Take a unit you wan't as a factions normal general unit, copy paste it right before the normal general unit, change the unit name (see my edit with just a number in the example), add attibute general_unit.
    Example:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    type Axemen of Lossarnach2
    dictionary Axemen_of_Lossarnach2 ; Axemen of Lossarnach, Superior
    category infantry
    class heavy
    voice_type Heavy
    accent GondorInfantry
    banner faction main_infantry
    banner holy crusade
    soldier lossarnach, 60, 0, 1.1875
    officer gondor_banner_carrier_ug1
    officer gondor_officer_ug1
    mount_effect horse +1, camel +1, elephant -4
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, hardy, can_withdraw, free_upkeep_unit, general_unit
    formation 1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 4, square
    stat_health 1, 2
    stat_pri 10, 5, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, slashing, axe, 75, 1
    stat_pri_attr ap
    stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 0, 1
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 7, 4, 0, metal; scale armor
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 6
    stat_ground 0, -1, 0, -2
    stat_mental 13, impetuous, trained
    stat_charge_dist 6
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 575, 215, 75, 75, 575, 4, 100
    armour_ug_levels 3, 4
    armour_ug_models lossarnach, lossarnach_ug1
    ownership sicily
    era 0 sicily
    era 1 sicily
    era 2 sicily
    recruit_priority_offset 57

Open export_units.txt (in teh text-folder; after backing up)
    Search for the unit you've used and copy paste the entry for it.
    Make the name change in the pasted entry and go ahead and rewrite the text to whatever you like (the info-text when you examine the unit). I have kept replaced text crossed out for the sake of it.
    Example continued:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    {Axemen_of_Lossarnach2} Axemen of Lossarnach Bodyguard
    {Axemen_of_Lossarnach2_descr}
    Lossarnach, flowered vales and fertile land of the White Mountains, brings fierce warriors to Gondor's forces. Warriors who are slightly swarthier and shorter than other men in Gondor come bearing great battle-axes and are well-armoured. They are a great unit for shock attacks and for bloody close combat act proudly as body guards of the leaders of the land. REQUIRES LOSSARNACH
    {Axemen_of_Lossarnach2_descr_short}
    Experienced warriors protected by a chain mail and armed with a tall two-handed axe. REQUIRES LOSSARNACH
    And think that should be it. Guess it's not save game compatible but hope it works.

{Axemen_of_Lossarnach2} = unit ingame name
    {Axemen_of_Lossarnach2_descr} = the unit scroll description text (where you look at stats and such)
    {Axemen_of_Lossarnach2_descr_short} = the name say it all hehe
    Last edited by Ngugi; July 28, 2012 at 10:06 AM.

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Alright. I'll try that tonight. Thanks for the information!

The is no description picture for the general unit, just the RTW placeholder

You must create a new image, it's easy if you created a BG based on an existing unit.

Continuing the example in post #5:

Open data/ui/unit_info and the folder sicily (since sicily = Gondor). Copy the image (check the EDU for the unit name if not obvious, in this case it would be Axemen_of_Lossarnach_info.tga) and paste it in again in same folder.
    Rename the copy version Axemen_of_Lossarnach_info2.tga

Open data/ui/units and the folder sicily (since sicily = Gondor). Copy the image (check the EDU for the unit name if not obvious, in this case it would be #axemen_of_lossarnach.tga) and paste it in again in same folder.
    Rename the copy version #axemen_of_lossarnach2.tga

Miles

I wondered if it is possible to make infantry generals recruitable? :o

It could be working if only in key cities like Annuminas, Osgilliath and Minas Tirith?
    //ThaDoews

TATW + MOS 1.
    SS6.4 + BftB

Greymane's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by ThaDoews View Post
    I wondered if it is possible to make infantry generals recruitable? :o

It could be working if only in key cities like Annuminas, Osgilliath and Minas Tirith?
    Yep. But you would have to do most of the work yourself.
    Make the unit recruitable (I'm assuming you want Gondor dismounted bodyguards) like any other, you can use any unit as a base*, and check if the unit has the general_unit attribute (in descr_unit). If the unit has it, every unit of that type you recruit will come with a general.
    If it doesn't, it will just be a nomal unit like every other.
    I have been told that the first unit of a faction with that attribute is the default spawn for births/adoptions/etc. So take that into account when you mod it.

* Just copy a unit of the faction to the building you want to recruit said unit in, change the recruitment rate to something you like and change the name to the name of the dismounted general you want to recruit. That name is somewhere in descr_unit.

EDIT: to make it recruitable in specific places, you will have to use hidden resources. Or you could use a building specific to that settlement (like with the guards of Orthanc), that's easier.
    Last edited by Greymane; March 30, 2014 at 02:49 PM.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Greymane View Post
    Yep. But you would have to do most of the work yourself.
    Make the unit recruitable (I'm assuming you want Gondor dismounted bodyguards) like any other, you can use any unit as a base*, and check if the unit has the general_unit attribute (in descr_unit). If the unit has it, every unit of that type you recruit will come with a general.
    If it doesn't, it will just be a nomal unit like every other.
    I have been told that the first unit of a faction with that attribute is the default spawn for births/adoptions/etc. So take that into account when you mod it.

* Just copy a unit of the faction to the building you want to recruit said unit in, change the recruitment rate to something you like and change the name to the name of the dismounted general you want to recruit. That name is somewhere in descr_unit.

EDIT: to make it recruitable in specific places, you will have to use hidden resources. Or you could use a building specific to that settlement (like with the guards of Orthanc), that's easier.
    Thx! I was just adding the general recruitment for myself in my Eriador/Arnor and Gondor campaigns and this question came up though it would add some more action in game with some infantry or Citadelguards generals?!
    Anyway, i'm on it and it might turn out to be some addon for MOS...
    //ThaDoews

TATW + MOS 1.
    SS6.4 + BftB

Miles

I haven't made much progress with modding these bodyguards due to work, but what about the generals portrait? Will it be random or as bauhaus says, the RTW placeholder?

Next thing, how is it possible to edit those .tga-files?
    Last edited by Ngugi; April 05, 2014 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Double Posts
    //ThaDoews

TATW + MOS 1.
    SS6.4 + BftB

Depends on what you mean; portrait as in character image, or the unit cards? If the first it shoudl work as usual, if the latter you can simply read the answer I gave bauhaus.

Use a program like Photo Shop or Gimp