Thread: Graphics Card For Rome 2.

GasMask's Avatar Praeses

Default Graphics Card For Rome 2.

As Rome 2 has just been announced i wanted to ask about a new graphics card single based device to run Rome 2 total war on high settings.

Current Config.

I3 Sandy bridge.
    4 gigabyte of memory
    850W Power Supply
    2x 500GB Drives
    120GB SSD Cheap One
    Graphics Card - Dont Know

I bought a gtx 580 but i returned it was not happy with it so i would be tempted to lean over to AMD however i have been waiting for the gtx 660 ti i just do not know what to do with Rome 2 being an intensive game by the looks of it.

Default Re: Graphics Card For Rome 2.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Gas Mask♔ View Post
    As Rome 2 has just been announced i wanted to ask about a new graphics card single based device to run Rome 2 total war on high settings.

Current Config.

I3 Sandy bridge.
    4 gigabyte of memory
    850W Power Supply
    2x 500GB Drives
    120GB SSD Cheap One
    Graphics Card - Dont Know

I bought a gtx 580 but i returned it was not happy with it so i would be tempted to lean over to AMD however i have been waiting for the gtx 660 ti i just do not know what to do with Rome 2 being an intensive game by the looks of it.

Well, just wait until the system requirements come out for it and buy a cheap one to hold you over.. that is unless you want to buy the best till then. But right now any speculation about what may be needed is just that, speculation.

GasMask's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by DavidtheDuke View Post
    Well, just wait until the system requirements come out for it and buy a cheap one to hold you over.. that is unless you want to buy the best till then. But right now any speculation about what may be needed is just that, speculation.
    Many thanks david .

Crazyeyesreaper's Avatar Primicerius
    Citizen

correct game is over a year away, grab a cheapo card for now to get by and wait for Rome 2, supposedly requirments will be similar to Shogun 2, but with a year to go that could change, and upgrading this soon for a game thats no out isnt the smartest idea wait it out or just grab the biggest baddest thing you can afford, lol. but regardless Rome 2 is to far off to be upgrading for it specifically right now.
    CPU: i7 3770K 4.6GHz / i7 4930K 4.4 GHz / i7 4770K 4.6 GHz
    CPU HSF: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro / Review Samples / Review Samples
    MOBO: Biostar TZ77XE4 / ASRock X79 Fatal1ty Champion / MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
    RAM: Mushkin Redlines 2x4GB 1866 MHz / 4x4GB Gskill 2133 MHz / 2x4GB Kingston 2400 MHz
    GPU: Integrated / GTX 780 / HD 5450 Passive
    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050w 80+ GOLD / NZXT Hale82 650w Modular / same
    CASE: Nanoxia DS1 / Nanoxia DS1 / Lian Li Test Bench
    HDD: 160 HDD / 512GB SSD + 120GB SSD + 5.5TB HDD / 60gb SSD

GasMask's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyeyesreaper View Post
    correct game is over a year away, grab a cheapo card for now to get by and wait for Rome 2, supposedly requirments will be similar to Shogun 2, but with a year to go that could change, and upgrading this soon for a game thats no out isnt the smartest idea wait it out or just grab the biggest baddest thing you can afford, lol. but regardless Rome 2 is to far off to be upgrading for it specifically right now.
    Many thanks crazyeyes i will take your advice thank you very much.

As a side note chap with speculation the gtx 660 ti has been speculated to run slightly worse than the gtx 670 but slightly better than the gtx 580.

Have you any remarks to this speculation, Just you would partially consider a gtx 660 to run rome pretty decently if the card runs faster than a gtx 580 ? .

How absurd.

Crazyeyesreaper's Avatar Primicerius
    Citizen

660 Ti which releases August 16th in THEORY should be about 10% slower than the 670 but can go eitherway

this would make the 660Ti directly on par with the GTX 580 but uses half the power and has 2GB of memory instead of 1.5GB
    CPU: i7 3770K 4.6GHz / i7 4930K 4.4 GHz / i7 4770K 4.6 GHz
    CPU HSF: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro / Review Samples / Review Samples
    MOBO: Biostar TZ77XE4 / ASRock X79 Fatal1ty Champion / MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
    RAM: Mushkin Redlines 2x4GB 1866 MHz / 4x4GB Gskill 2133 MHz / 2x4GB Kingston 2400 MHz
    GPU: Integrated / GTX 780 / HD 5450 Passive
    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050w 80+ GOLD / NZXT Hale82 650w Modular / same
    CASE: Nanoxia DS1 / Nanoxia DS1 / Lian Li Test Bench
    HDD: 160 HDD / 512GB SSD + 120GB SSD + 5.5TB HDD / 60gb SSD

From what I've read, they said that you're going to be able to play this game regardless of your specs, therefore I am guessing it's going to be Graphics card intensive, whereas Shogun 2 was CPU intensive (if I am not mistaken). It's much easier to upgrade a Graphics card, of course, than it is to upgrade your CPU, because with the CPU you have to change the motherboard and therefore your whole system.
    I have a very old AMD 3000+ CPU with 1 GB memory, and an ATI radeon 4600, and I was able to play Shogun 2, with no noticeable lag, with full detail on units, so much so that dead soldiers would not disappear from screen (small unit size for land units though, medium for naval units). Of course I had to set all the rest to minimum settings (ground detail etc) and I had to completely turn off music (both of which was not a big loss for me).

Oh, and if you know your machine, pressing Ctrl+Alt+del, seeing which processes you don't really need (best not mess with System-related) and turning them off, made a big difference for me. But it is best not to mess with these if you are not sure whether you should turn off some of them or not. Also turning off various processes running in the tray (right down corner) also helped me save some CPU power and memory so that the game could use it.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for rome 2. I am prepared to get some extra memory sticks, and a new Graphics card, but I wouldn't want to change the whole system over a game (although it DOES look promising).

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

I'll believe any specs they publish when it's released and someone besides them puts up some hard numbers. Skeptical, yes. Cynical, no.