Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Kingdoms of the Isles - Old Previews

Default Re: The Kingdoms of the Isles - The First Preview

i am dying to play this mod.. i start to play the britannia campaign on kingdoms and its just depressing how bad it is

You guys have any plans for a new preview of some sort? or concentrating all the manpower on making progress?

Unfortunately, we don't have much in the way of manpower at the moment (really only 2 of us currently). We have no firm plans for a preview but we are making slow but steady progress. I'm working on campaign map textures amongst other things and the Reiver is busy reiving text files.

I've a few really good textures for the strat map if you're interested in them.
    Also, i could code your AI in a similar fashon to the way i coded it here - which can really benefit the scottish clans diplomatic relationship preferences!

Hi Archaon,

The Reiver has been playing with your loyalty script I believe. It seems like a great idea but with perhaps a few modifications? TNZ is also working on some scripting for the mod. Scripting the Clans relationship to the Scottish crown is pretty tricky but is vital for a realistic campaign.

I have been experimenting with map textures to completely overhaul the look of the campaign map. I would like to have a look at your textures and see if they would fit with the style I am going for. Can you please PM me a link to see them?

interesting mod

sounds like a great mod keep up the good work

Ballacraine's Avatar Domesticus

Yes, keep at it!

I am still really looking forward to this.

Slaynt vie.

Balla.
    In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

I have some suggestions regarding the culture/religion system.
    Currently, the 'cultures' of the vanilla Britannia campaign (English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Norwegian) are more representative of modern 'nationalities'.
    It would seem to me that this might be a better culture list:
    -Anglo-Saxon: England, Lowland Scotland (faction Scotland*)
    -French: France (faction England, all continental factions)
    -Brythonic: Wales, Brittany (faction Wales)
    -Gaelic: Ireland, Highland Scotland (all Scottish and Irish clans)
    *Were the Lowland Scottish kings/nobility (as opposed to the Highland clans) Anglo-Saxon or Norman/French?
    It should be noted that these relate to not just the language but also the legal system (French => Roman/Canon law, Anglo-Saxon => Germanic Common law, Gaelic => Gaelic law)
    A couple of other points:
    1) All continental provinces (except in Brittany) should be locked at 100% French.
    2) The English provinces should be locked at approximately 90% Anglo-Saxon and 10% French unless England switches to Anglo-Saxon culture.

In late 13th century England it would be fair to say that a unique culture existed which one might as well label "English". The culture of the ruling class may have been different from that of the common man in the field but the same could be said for almost all factions and regions. The ruling class was of course Norman but under Edward I a certain degree of "Englishness" was creeping in.

If we were to make provinces in England "Anglo-Saxon" yet ruled by an English faction with a "French" culture this would handicap that faction to a large degree. Such a state of affairs may have been true in 1066 but not 200 years later when the people were subjugated.

The lowland nobility of Scotland was neither Anglo-Saxon or Norman French but rather a mixture of both combined with a larger measure of indigenous influence. We may as well call this similarly unique culture "Scottish". Robert the Bruce saw himself as a Norman and a Celt (he was descended from both).

The culture in the highlands had by this time seen considerable encroachment of Norman "feudal" values whilst possessing enough Gaelic elements to retain a very distinct flavour. We have called this culture "Highland" and this approach was used in KOTS.

It is perhaps arguable that the culture of the Highlands and that of Ireland were very close but we will continue with a separate "Irish" culture I'm sure.

I think we should continue using the convenient national labels with the exception of the additional "Highland" culture which is required for this distinct geographic region. It would be a shame to deprive Wales of the "Welsh" I think. Not sure Brittany deserves special treatment given the scope and aims of the mod.

The problem with modelling culture historically in MTW2 is that one must choose between that of the ruling class and that of the majority of the population. The subtle distinctions between regions and the heterogeneous nature of medieval cultures makes it far too complex to represent with any degree of realism.

In the time period concerned the now familiar national identities were semi-formed if not accepted anyway.
    Last edited by The Bruce; August 31, 2010 at 08:23 AM.

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Looks like you beat me to this reply Bruce, no more needs to be said as you have covered everything except to add to the below:

The subtle distinctions between regions and the heterogeneous nature of medieval cultures makes it far too complex to represent with any degree of realism.
    Except in a purely aestetic way by text in either unit or faction descriptions. Or by adding "events" with a message that summarises the above differences found in regional cultures. All options of which (although maybe slightly more immersive in a gameplay sense) take more time away from the critical elements of the mod.

Progress Update:

One of the problems with mapping the Highlands is accurately portraying inland lochs.

Many of these exist at high altitude but the MTW2 engine insists that all water bodies be at sea level. This leads to unsightly lochs with plunging cliffs surrounding a watery abyss (see example below).

However we have overcome this problem so that we can create lochs at any altitude and they will appear in a far more realistic manner on the campaign map. They wont feature the wave animation (lakes don't have tides anyway!) but neither do they distort the map.

These lochs are mainly in impassable areas but there will be locations where battles can be fought on the their shores (using custom battlemaps).

The technique that makes this possible essentially means we can have custom textures for individual tiles on the campaign map!

The above picture is just a very rough example of work in progress (proof of concept). Final texturing will be of a much higher quality!

Last edited by The Bruce; September 19, 2010 at 06:58 AM.

Just a wee note to add my voice to the masses still dying to play this. I've been on ETW for a while but always having a wee check in to see how this is progressing (like a true highlander i'm not sure I like all this "firearms" malarky) The inland loch modelling looks great, i presume this means the inclusion of the fantastically named loch lochy!

Keep up the good work guys, can't wait to get my hands on this.

Which lochs get included will depend on their size but also their location.

Loch Lochy, being on the main route up the Great Glen, would require several custom battlemaps if we used the above approach (i.e. to allow armies to march and fight along its southern/eastern shore). If we did this with every loch the mod would never get finished. The alternative is to keep loch Lochy as a conventional "lake".
    Last edited by The Bruce; September 19, 2010 at 07:11 AM.

Patrician

If we only had someone to help with modelling a few units and campaign map features, and a few skins, that would essentially help get the project along.

that looks amazing

Thanks, KOTI will feature 100% new and original map textures using completely overhauled climates. The above is an example of work in progress - you ain't seen nothing yet!

Patrician

It is actually really good, and looks even better when you see the campaign map water (hint!) with a really good graphics card!

haha ive been waiting for this mod for so long i cant wait to finnally play it