Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official Link Thread

Default Official Link Thread

Okay so we have a unit suggestion thread, but I think Link deserves some disscussion of his own in a seperate thread.As far as I know Neph plans on making a "Link" unit for every faction. Anyone can throw there suggestions here, show thier pics, concepts, etc.

Neph may see something he likes,or he can just look and . Either way, Link appreciation thread at the very least lol.

Anyways as for my suggestions for Link, I personally would like to see him in the various ways we've seen him in the games. You will see what i mean

Kingdom of Hyrule -Good old regular green tunic link
    Gerudo - Goron Tunic, Mirror Shield, Silver Gauntlets Link.
    Goron - Goron Link from MM
    Zora - Zora Link from MM
    Kokiri - Young Link
    Deku Tribes - Deku Link from MM
    Moblins - I associate moblins with the Dark World, so bunny link.
    Lizafos - ???
    Order of Wizzrobe -
    Darknut Legion - Link in the Magic Armor from TP. He would look like he belongs in a cadre of heavily armoured infantry
    Shiekah - Fierce Deity Link, based off the loose connections between Majora, Fierce Deity, Sheikahs, Dark Intolopers and the Twili.
    Lanayru - Link in Zora Armor from TP.
    Forces of Twilight - Wolf Link
    Gohma - ???
    Fairies of Tarm - Dunno about model, but has to use the Great Fairy Sword
    Labrynna - ???
    Ordona - Link in his ordona cloths from TP.
    Stalfos - Hero's Shade, HH confims the Heros Shade is Link from OoT.
    Ikana - Either Ben, or MM Young Link get-up/gear.

Default Re: Official Link Thread

For Gerudo, I imagine Neph could whip up a Gerudo designed Link.

Lizalfos could be a Ball & Chain wielding Link, you get the item from a Darkhammer.

Labrynna I think should be a souped up Ralph, not Link. As it seems like Ralph's pretty much living in Link's shadow. So the equivalent would be Ralph breaking out to me.

I think the Hero's Shade should be with Ikana, as he's sentient.

I think Fierce Deity should be if Majora got a hold of him, as canonically FD would be unbelievably overpowered, so he'd likely be best with the overpowered faction.

I don't think Stalfos should be able to get Link the usual way. To be honest, I see the Stalfos getting an undead Link by way of Link fighting for someone else, then getting killed by Stalfos.

Gohma I imagine would be infected Link.

Gerudo link I see as either a "Linkendorf" type deal where he's pretty much Ganndorf/Link hybrid, or an actual female Gerudo version of Link as blasphemous as that sounds, if the Deku/Zora/Gorons get a Link version that's their race.

FD Link if he exists i see as "Ultimate Link" infused with the power of the Triforce or the Goddesses (or both!) and should only be given to Hyrule In my opinion.

Or alternately as the "Real" Link come to fix what the "TIME PARADOX!!" Variable Link messed up by traveling back in time.

Zectorman's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnr839 View Post
    Gerudo link I see as either a "Linkendorf" type deal where he's pretty much Ganndorf/Link hybrid, or an actual female Gerudo version of Link as blasphemous as that sounds, if the Deku/Zora/Gorons get a Link version that's their race.

FD Link if he exists i see as "Ultimate Link" infused with the power of the Triforce or the Goddesses (or both!) and should only be given to Hyrule In my opinion.

Or alternately as the "Real" Link come to fix what the "TIME PARADOX!!" Variable Link messed up by traveling back in time.
    You mean like this

or not so manly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgxBxU9wSP8

Ferdinand Von Terl, he knew how to RP before you could even Speak your name!

I would like to see dark link for some faction.

So what your saying is do something like this, but for Link instead of Zelda. I can live with that lol.

Mattwensley's Avatar Primicerius

A shake-up of your ideas, these will also come with an appropriate bodyguard:

Kingdom of Hyrule - Starts of as Young Link, after time or event becomes Master sword Link [Heavy Infantry]
    Gerudo - On Horseback with bow [Missile cavalry]
    Goron - Goron Link from MM OR Link with Megaton Hammer and red tunic [Heavy Infantry]
    Zora - Zora Link from MM, uses ranged Zora blades [Skirmisher]
    Kokiri - Young Link armed with Fairy bow OR Sligshot [Missile]
    Deku Tribes - Deku Link from MM [Missile]
    Moblins - Boar Rider Link [Heavy cavalry]
    Lizafos - Young Link with Kokiri sword and deku shield for fast movement [Light infantry]
    Order of Wizzrobe - Link armed with Fire Rod [Missile]
    Darknut Legion - Link in the Magic Armor from TP, with biggoron's sword [Heavy Infantry]
    Shiekah - Dark Link - based on the Shiekah's connection with shadows and internal corruption. Leads a squad of Truthbearers [Heavy infantry]
    Lanayru - Link in Zora Armor from TP OR Blue tunic [Light infantry]
    Forces of Twilight - Wolf Link [? Infantry]
    Gohma - Young Link skirmisher, armed with deku nuts [Skirmisher]
    Fairies of Tarm - On foot, Great Fairy Sword [Heavy infantry]
    Labrynna - Seed shooter Link (OoA, works exactly like a gun) [Missile]
    Ordona - Link on horseback [Heavy Cavalry]
    Stalfos - Hero's Shade, HH confims the Heros Shade is Link from OoT. [Heavy infantry]
    Ikana - MM Young Link wearing captain's hat/other undead masks. Leads a retinue of undead. [Light infantry]

I tried to make them somewhat unique, and make their characters based on lore rather than just having a Gerudo Link or a Undead Link.
    Last edited by Mattwensley; July 26, 2012 at 07:46 AM.
    ~~Knowledge is power, and I do not like the feeling of weakness~~
    ~~If it's a million to one shot, I'll make sure I'm the one~~

Okay, so this was mentioned in another thread, but I'm really hung up on how awesome the concept is, so I'm going to pull it over here:

Quote Originally Posted by Scar86 View Post
    Stalfos: A Nasty looking re animated corpse of link,complete with flesh wounds,scars and blood splatters. broken giants knife in hand. Showing his utter defeat.
    IAmNothShazam mentioned something about getting Link by defeating him in another army. This would probably be a great design for that.

However, I admit that seeing him as the Hero's Shade form would be a good alternative.

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattwensley View Post
    Lanayru - Link in Zora Armor from TP OR Blue tunic [Light infantry]
    I feel like, for as cool as it would be to see link in Zora armor, the thing with Lanayru is that the tend to be more interested in comfortable, luxurious clothes as per the faction description. That would probably mean that the Zora Tunic would be the better choice.

Of course, this would depend entirely on the nature of Link's presence in each of the respective armies. If he's merely leading them, then he should probably fill a niche role. If he's been fully adopted/indoctrinated/brought up in the faction's culture (I say this because I don't exactly know what's happening with the nature of the time warp and everything he's accomplished being undone and his availability for all factions), he should look and behave more like the parent faction- ex: Zora armor vs. Zora tunic, effectiveness vs. comfort, as a leader vs. as a member of the Lanayru.

Mattwensley's Avatar Primicerius

I'm dreading the circumstance that results in seeing Link keel over, and the words "Our foolish general has thrown his life away..."
    Then I remember this is Link, and that. Won't. Happen.

I've just thought of something for Fairy Link - as long as he has a member of his retinue alive when the fight ends, he can be revived! Not sure how dificult that would be to do, but it would give the Fairies something new to work with...
    Last edited by Mattwensley; July 26, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
    ~~Knowledge is power, and I do not like the feeling of weakness~~
    ~~If it's a million to one shot, I'll make sure I'm the one~~

Wait, if Link is opposed to Majora at all times, than how will Ikana get him? Don't they worship Majora?

So, I thought about my FD link being the "real" link last night and came up with something I want to pitch to you guys to see how stupid it is. Unfortunately it will require some explaining.

1: the link we know is an amalgamation of what Not to do. Him returning to the past screwed not just time up, but seeing as how each link is from a different world (play along), "The Zelda Verse" in general got messed up.

2: FD Link comes from a world where him and Zelda won. Gannondorf and Ganon are dead, Hyrule is at peace, all is well and Link and Zelda rule as King and Queen and live happily ever after. Or they did until the Amalgam link F'ed it all up. Their world is tearing apart and they infuse themselves with the power of the Triforce and head to "our" Hyrule to set things right or else their world will cease to exist.

FD link is well, the badass Mofo that he is. Able to take on just about anyone alone and win, but can keep swarms busy without dying, but obviously not to the point that he can solo entire armies.

FD Zelda, I imagined as the "Red Mage" where she uses Din's Fire as a ranged Magic attack Hylia or Essence of Tarm style, and a pair of those Raiper type swords in melee. I see her as much more of a ranged unit who blasts the foe from afar, and her melee is mostly too keep her from dying immediately to millita-line level troops, and for live long enough for you to have a chance to save her.

Due to the sheer power I imagine these two to have I'm not sure if I want them bodyguard less or not. I'm dubious mostly to due bodyguard less units dying almost as soon as the foe looks at them. If they do have bodyguards I'd suggest they be small, yet extremely powerful like their two Heros are.

Im pitching these two belonging solely to Hyrule, and as the "Last True Hope". All the other factions get the "Variable Amalgamation" Link, whereas Hyrule gets FD Link and Zelda pair.

So, thoughts on my stupid idea?

Kokiri Link Should use A Slingshot I think.

I think Ikana Link would use the Gilded sword.

Orodona Link should be in his Orodona cloths with Orodona sword/shield on horseback.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 51 View Post
    Wait, if Link is opposed to Majora at all times, than how will Ikana get him? Don't they worship Majora?
    I imagine they may not get him in the campaign, but he could definatly be a unit for them in custom battles.

Also does Neph plan on making him a singular unit, like Sulkaris, but only human size? With ridiculous stats like 75 attack, 85 defence, and like 30 charge bonus if he's on a horse and like 10 if on foot.

Or does he plan to give him bodyguards like Zelda and Ganondorf? If this is the case, then he can't use any ranged weapons as hero units can't shoot, see Zelda II and Malon and Runeka.
    Last edited by Xebenkeck; July 26, 2012 at 07:09 PM.

I should imagine he would have a bodyguard attached, otherwise it's quite possible that he'll get stuck in a stagger loop. That is to say, whenever he's outnumbered, he will be receiving more attacks than he's making; every attack carries a chance that it will trigger the stagger animation, so if he's being attacked by a whole slew of enemies, it's quite possible that he'll just keep staggering until he finally dies. Certain unit types are exempt from this problem- elephants in particular are immune to the stagger loop, and they are a good basis for many monstrous creatures that are horribly strong.

However, such units don't always behave properly. Since Sulkaris was mentioned earlier, I'll use him as an example. I find he has trouble actually acquiring targets or consistently attacking. Additionally, elephant-based units tend to be weak to javelins (which can seemingly be coded out, but have a distressing tendency to show up out of nowhere). Granted, javelins are powerful ranged weapons in this game, but they still affect a disproportionate amount of damage upon elephant-based targets. In particular, I cite experience with other mods (name Third Age Total War) where "boss" type units (Sauron, the Balrog, etc.) can be brought down pretty readily by javelin troops.

Just some thoughts.

A smart person(not saying you arent lol) wont send Link into battle by himself. You would send him with other units as well, always safety in numbers. You wouldnt send your general unit out to attack an army byhimself, so you should never do the same with a hero unit.

If link is by himself, but with other units around him, he will at his most potent, because it stops what you describe, him getting surronded. Granted a platoon of bodyguards serves almost the same function, but Links character overall doesnt seem like one that would have bodyguards. Zelda and Ganondorf make sense because they are kings and princesses respectivly. Link has always been a lone rider.
    Last edited by Xebenkeck; July 26, 2012 at 09:26 PM.

Isn't Link usually seen with a unit of Hyrulian Knights in the trailers?

If so then I think he'll have a bodyguard with him whenever he shows up.

So I'm gonna assume from the lack of response to my FD Link and Zelda idea that it's a pile of poopie.

Alas, they cannot all be winners.

Wakerz140's Avatar Ducenarius

I thought it was kinda cool. But the other factions would need some kind of super unit to balance that as well.

I was going to comment but I'm still gatehring data to properly address the main topic.
    In the meanwhile, I do like the idea of the Fierce Deity as the "true Link" coming to fix the whole mess, but I think the background needs work.

The idea of FD Zelda I'm not a fan of.

I'll go in more in detail when I'm ready to make a full response, probably tomorrow.

i personally feel it would be more fitting for link to fight alone as an extremely high defense unit link vs ganon/majora 1 on 1 would be awesome but im happy with what neph decides
    I shall consume... consume everything

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast