Page 21 of 56 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast

Thread: Champions League 2012/2013

SonofaBooyah's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Champions League 2012/2013

It'd be brilliant if Malaga qualify with Arsenal going out. Imagine what's going through Cazorla and Monreal's heads?

Well, Porto won, only 1-0 though. Malaga are very strong at home so this tie is still anyone's game. The goal was offside by Moutinho but Porto were definitely the more attacking side in the game so they were good merit for there goal. Should be a decent second leg.

But enough of that, let's focus on Wenger's humiliation shall we?

Well... hadn't Arsenal pretty much given away the first half for free, they could have done something. At least they showed that Bayern are not as unbelievably overpowering as the German table suggests (not bad by any means, don't get me wrong), and certainly not invulnerable, as the single didgit goals conceded suggest.
    They are strong this season, but they also received not much fight from most opponents. Most didn't even bother to fight for midfield and just let Bayern do their thing.
    Neuer recently had some 240 or so minutes without a shot at his goal, which is just sad.

Wow, and people are actually saying that the Bundesliga is better than the BPL? Yea, sounds like a REALLY competitive league...

Appears that many BL-teams struggle for a decent form this season, whith Bayern being the sole exception. Most of the last season decent to good teams had or have trouble. Hannover, Schalke, Gladbach... All a shadows of themselves. Only Leverkusen and Dortmund seem be able to play Bayern on roughly equal terms.

Quote Originally Posted by bradavies View Post
    Wow, and people are actually saying that the Bundesliga is better than the BPL? Yea, sounds like a REALLY competitive league...
    Manchester United have pretty much won the BPL, and all of the teams after 1st place in the Bundesliga are much tighter than in the BPL. Bayern just outclassed Arsenal. So what is your point, exactly?

My point is that at least teams in the BPL actually challenge us. Teams like Fulham for example, they could of beat us, they gave us a hell of a game. Every team we play at least has a shot at us. Going 240 minutes without a shot conceded to you is down right pathetic. Far, far, far too easy.

To be fair, I think that many teams just got demoralized by the (admittedly) well performed positional play of Bayern too quickly. So the problem is less that they are too bad to score against them, they just didn't bother to try after they had not much success.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

What causes most grief is Wenger said we are a second half team, we just give teams to much respect in the first half of matches. Tonight was the no different, first goal was a cracker but the second was a poor one, the third was pure comedy. When I looked at the line up I couldn't see a formation of any kind.

Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Arteta, Wilshere, Ramsey, Podolski, Cazorla, Walcott.

Pod and Walcott playing as wingers so no strikers? Walcott playing up front on his own? Arteta and Ramsey both playing a holding role after Wenger has said he doesn't think the role exists in the current game. Wilshire and Cazorla playing the same role, but without a target man who are they supposed to play forward to? TV5 at left back! we can't play a back three because Pod and Walcott don't track back.. The lads work so hard but the tactics are a mess, or non-existent..

That said, Bayern didn't impress me as much as the score line or their form suggests. Real, Utd, Barca, Juve, Milan all look stronger.

My point is that at least teams in the BPL actually challenge us. Teams like Fulham for example, they could of beat us, they gave us a hell of a game. Every team we play at least has a shot at us. Going 240 minutes without a shot conceded to you is down right pathetic. Far, far, far too easy.
    What does that have to do with competitiveness? The league, itself, is more competitive than the BPL. Not conceding a shot in under three matches is not that big a deal when you're playing a relatively poor Wolfsburg side and a Schalke side in terrible form.

Using two and a half matches to say that the league is uncompetitive doesn't make sense, since you're disregarding pretty much the entire season. Bayern have just been that good this season in the Bundesliga, and the Champions League is a different competition that requires different qualities.

Arsenal actually turned up for this match offensively, because it's a big CL game. They're a great team that has had some bad results and performances, but that doesn't mean they're incapable of having good games.

And agreed, Bayern weren't that good. We were the better team, but we need to step it up when we play Barcelona/Juventus/Dortmund/Real/United. And I'm certain we'll end up getting one of those teams next round.

Actually iirc Wolfsburg ended that shot-less period with a direct freekick from Diego. Anyway, I think the BL is, over all, not as strong as last season. Our EL-teams certainly struggle, some have lost key players (Gladbach) and others just are in normal (Hannover, instead of stellar) form or in desastrous form (Schalke, Stuttgart).
    Edit: Speaking of Schalke... Somehow I think they will get eaten alive in Istanbul in that current form of theirs. That is, if playing CL does not suddenly flip a switch and they go from 0 to 100% in an instant.
    Last edited by grinder; February 19, 2013 at 04:12 PM.

Blog Entries

The CL isn't a particularly good way to judge which league is better, if indeed there is any way to judge. Otherwise how the fudge did Chelski win it last year!

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    That said, Bayern didn't impress me as much as the score line or their form suggests. Real, Utd, Barca, Juve, Milan all look stronger.
    As much as I'd love to agree with you I feel we'd struggle immensely against Bayern. There the exact team I wouldn't want to face, a physically strong and quick side. Strength especially is not our strongest point.

Quote Originally Posted by grinder View Post
    Actually iirc Wolfsburg ended that shot-less period with a direct freekick from Diego. Anyway, I think the BL is, over all, not as strong as last season. Our EL-teams certainly struggle, some have lost key players (Gladbach) and others just are in normal (Hannover, instead of stellar) form or in desastrous form (Schalke, Stuttgart).
    The BPL seems to be going through a kind of transition period at the moment. The traditional top teams (Chelsea, Arsenal, City I suppose) are having a poor campaign, whilst the like of Spurs and Everton are really looking likely to break into the top 4 this year. I literally have no idea where anyone's going to end up come May, besides United (top, of course). I've only recently started watching Bundesliga since everyone has been raving about it recently (admittedly only the highlights) and I'm not seeing any really decent teams outside Bayern, Dortmund and Leverkusen, none that could challenge those 3 anyway.
    Edit: Speaking of Schalke... Somehow I think they will get eaten alive in Istanbul in that current form of theirs. That is, if playing CL does not suddenly flip a switch and they go from 0 to 100% in an instant.
    Galatasary have been brilliant this year in UCL, and now they have Drogba and Sneijder as well. If they can make it work with those two in the side, I see them steam-rolling most teams, Schalke included.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin Jack Flash View Post
    What does that have to do with competitiveness? The league, itself, is more competitive than the BPL. Not conceding a shot in under three matches is not that big a deal when you're playing a relatively poor Wolfsburg side and a Schalke side in terrible form.

Using two and a half matches to say that the league is uncompetitive doesn't make sense, since you're disregarding pretty much the entire season. Bayern have just been that good this season in the Bundesliga, and the Champions League is a different competition that requires different qualities.

Arsenal actually turned up for this match offensively, because it's a big CL game. They're a great team that has had some bad results and performances, but that doesn't mean they're incapable of having good games.
    Yea, I admit I don't watch the Bundesliga much (ESPN screwed me over when I tried to get it, so I ed that idea off) but you can understand my skepticism when I'm hearing facts like that. Of course it matters, no team can be that good, there clearly has to be something poor about the opposition as well.

The CL isn't a particularly good way to judge which league is better, if indeed there is any way to judge. Otherwise how the fudge did Chelski win it last year!
    I wasn't judging them by the CL game tonight, I didn't even watch that game. And Chelski won by pure luck. No two ways about it. After the 1/4 finals they went on the luckiest run of games I have ever seen. They been destroyed in all 3.

Erebus Pasha's Avatar vezir-i âzam

What causes most grief is Wenger said we are a second half team, we just give teams to much respect in the first half of matches. Tonight was the no different, first goal was a cracker but the second was a poor one, the third was pure comedy. When I looked at the line up I couldn't see a formation of any kind.

Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Arteta, Wilshere, Ramsey, Podolski, Cazorla, Walcott.

Pod and Walcott playing as wingers so no strikers? Walcott playing up front on his own? Arteta and Ramsey both playing a holding role after Wenger has said he doesn't think the role exists in the current game. Wilshire and Cazorla playing the same role, but without a target man who are they supposed to play forward to? TV5 at left back! we can't play a back three because Pod and Walcott don't track back.. The lads work so hard but the tactics are a mess, or non-existent..

I was hoping that Arsenal could do Bayern tonight although there was a very slim chance that would happen. The only team I despise more than Bayern in Europe is Real Madrid. Bayern are robotic; they are like a machine albeit a really well oiled one. Unfortunately, even though Bayern didn't play at their very best they were still a step above Arsenal. How many more defeats like this until Wenger wakes up and smells the coffee? Like you Halie, I saw no formation and watched as a bunch of headless chickens wearing red ran around in the first half chasing shadows. Can someone also tell me what Steve Bould's job actually is? I'm sure he was brought in to improve the quality of the Arsenal defending but it smacked of naivety and cluelessness tonight - the second and third goals conceded by Arsenal were shockers tbh. As for the players themselves, Walcott and Podolski blew hot and cold, Arteta lacked mobility and Ramsey was shown yet again to be out of his depth at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by bradavies
    Galatasary have been brilliant this year in UCL, and now they have Drogba and Sneijder as well. If they can make it work with those two in the side, I see them steam-rolling most teams, Schalke included.
    I think it will still take time for those two to settle in. Gala did brilliantly to qualify from the group stages (they only had one point from the first three matches remember) but even with Schalke not doing well domestically I can still see them coming through this tie.

www.ottomanhistorypodcast.com/
    Under the patronage of the Noble Savage.

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus Pasha View Post
    I was hoping that Arsenal could do Bayern tonight although there was a very slim chance that would happen. The only team I despise more than Bayern in Europe is Real Madrid. Bayern are robotic; they are like a machine albeit a really well oiled one. Unfortunately, even though Bayern didn't play at their very best they were still a step above Arsenal. How many more defeats like this until Wenger wakes up and smells the coffee? Like you Halie, I saw no formation and watched as a bunch of headless chickens wearing red ran around in the first half chasing shadows. Can someone also tell me what Steve Bould's job actually is? I'm sure he was brought in to improve the quality of the Arsenal defending but it smacked of naivety and cluelessness tonight - the second and third goals conceded by Arsenal were shockers tbh. As for the players themselves, Walcott and Podolski blew hot and cold, Arteta lacked mobility and Ramsey was shown yet again to be out of his depth at this level.
    It's very unfair on Arsenal fans that they have to accept defeats like this as well. Arsenal should be a team that can at least match big teams like Bayern Munich on paper, but the fact is that even on paper it all pointed towards a Bayern win. They can't even say stuff like "he played poorly" or "the team didn't turn up today" or stuff like that. Bayern simply have better players in every single position in comparison to Arsenal, and it shouldn't be like this. They were in a UCL final just 7 years ago remember, how the team has self destructed in that time is beyond me.

I think it will still take time for those two to settle in. Gala did brilliantly to qualify from the group stages (they only had one point from the first three matches remember) but even with Schalke not doing well domestically I can still see them coming through this tie.
    Probably, yea, although they will probably still play both of them, regardless of how there doing.

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

Tbh this is the worst Arsenal side since Wenger took over. Watching them lose like that felt depressing.
    Awful defence, lack of movement, low motivation, zero creativity (the list can go on forever).
    The owners should either spend big and get some top players or get a new manager. Heck do both if necessary.
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

Blog Entries

I wasn't judging them by the CL game tonight, I didn't even watch that game. And Chelski won by pure luck. No two ways about it. After the 1/4 finals they went on the luckiest run of games I have ever seen. They been destroyed in all 3.

Yeh, that's kind of my point, the CL is a crap shot.

Quote Originally Posted by bradavies
    It's very unfair on Arsenal fans that they have to accept defeats like this as well. Arsenal should be a team that can at least match big teams like Bayern Munich on paper, but the fact is that even on paper it all pointed towards a Bayern win. They can't even say stuff like "he played poorly" or "the team didn't turn up today" or stuff like that. Bayern simply have better players in every single position in comparison to Arsenal, and it shouldn't be like this. They were in a UCL final just 7 years ago remember, how the team has self destructed in that time is beyond me.
    Disagree with that. Bayern have a team, a formation and tactics and when plan A isn't working they have enough depth to try plan B. Most of all though they have a defence that works as a unit. The destruction is simple, we sell our best players, even before that Wenger instilled the ridiculous 1 year contracts for over 30's so players became unsettled or just left.

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus Pasha
    Wenger is convinced he can build another Barca, and Cazorla and Wilshire could be the basis of such a team. But Arteta isn't a holding player and Walcott isn't a striker (not in the 'play me up front' sense anyway), just as Podolski isn't a winger and Ramsey, isn't an anything. Bould has become a mystery to me, our back line bears no resemblance to his time, that zonal marking at corners, wtf is that about!!! Can you imagine Adams being told to mark a zone at a corner, he'd think you lost the ing plot...
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; February 19, 2013 at 06:03 PM.

Sir Pignans's Avatar The bringer of cheese.

Knew we were gonna lose when we played Ramsey.

I suppose it's naive of me to think we'll pull this back in some miraculous fashion.

We can still do it! That said. I hope we'll give them more of a fight next time, hopefully working off the back of consecutive wins against Everton and Tottenham.
    90% of teens would die today if facebook was destroyed. if you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

My Political Profile.

Under the patronage of Gertrudius!