Spajjder's Avatar Senator

Default The foreign wars of Hideyoshi

Hi no moto ni
    mata Karakuni mo
    te ni irete
    yutaka naru yo no
    haru ni au kana

To have the suns orgin,
    as well as "China" (could also be Korea, or foreign countries in general)
    in one's hand
    An abundant spring
    will greet you.

"free translation of Hideyoshis waka, Japanese poem)

Toyotomi Hideyoshi had big ambitions. He wanted Japan to have a bigger influence in East Asia.
    Most notable is:
    - He demanded the submission of the governor of Manila, in the philipines.
    - He invaded Korea in 1592
    - As well as in 1597

The Governor in Manila refused to give in to Hideyoshis demands.
    Hideyoshi to turned to Korea instead. Korea's ruler had the title of King at this time, but he acknowledged the emperor of Ming China as his Emperor. Korea then, was a vasalege of China, by landing troops in Korea Hideyoshi was at the same time at war with China.
    His first invasion started quite well and got into the north parts of Korea, but there they got beaten back by Chinese reinforcements and thus retreated south. The Japanese suffered defeats against the Korean admiral Yi SunSin.
    He tried again in 1597 and his troops got all the way into China this time, but again they suffered defeats and defeats at sea against admiral Yi.
    However Hideyoshi died of natural causes in 1598, this was seen as a signal to interupt the campaigns against China and Korea, and peace was negotiated with the Chinese emperor.

Hideyoshi also moved against the christian missionaries to some extent with his edict from 1587, that stated that all jesuites were to leave Japan except ten that were allowed to stay in Nagasaki as long as they helped to further trade. The missionaries were shocked and asked for more time to leave because no ship were to leave Japan until a half year later. The deadline was prolonged and the jesuits showed signs of following the edict, but many went into hiding in villages and cities and continued their missionary work. The leader of the Jesuits Gasparo Coelho went a step further and requested from his motherland that they send troops and guns from the mainland to help him. Soldiers were not sent however, and the guns that were sent, were sent back by order of Valignano (Visitor of Missions in China and Japan).

Source : Ingemar Ottoson, Thomas Ekholm, Japans Historia, Historiska Media 2008.

IDEA OF A MOD
    I think these things would be great additions to a submod or implemented to the sekigahara mod.

-Adding Korea to the map would be really awesome, maybe not the whole of it, but just as a place to go conquer.. like america in mtw2.
    - The war in Korea was much about firepower, both factions had lots of guns, but japanese had better hand guns.
    -Admiral Yi's turtle ships are really cool ships of this era. They were featured in Age of Empires 2.
    Check it out - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_ship
    - Would be really cool to have diplomatic relations with China
    - If Coelho got his Guns and troops could make for a very interesting invading army of europeans, like defending against crusaders. Im not sure, but i think the portuguise musketmen etc are already in the game? on the black ship etc.
    - I miss being able to have diplomatic relationship with the european powers, i think it was implemented a bit in FoTS, but would be cool to actually be able to have diplomacy with them.

I'm not a modder myself, so I don't know if these things are possible to do..
    But I would be happy to help with research and such if you would like to implement this into this great mod!

please let me hear your thoughts!
    Head Scout: You've got three days to earn a badge.
    Peter:Three days? That's tomorrow! We gotta get going!

Default Re: The foreign wars of Hideyoshi

I think most of us fans of Sekigahara as well as the mod team itself would love to have an Imjin War mod, but unfortunately as far as I know the map is unable to be edited and it's not possible to add in completely new units, which proper implementation of Korea would require. It's an excellent idea, and would be an incredible campaign, just not possible at the moment.

The campaign map can't be edited. No go. A shame, but alas.

Closed as there isn't really much to discuss besides what Hikaru has said. PM me if that causes you immense physical pain.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Akaie's Avatar Sangi Ukon'e no Chūjō

Feel free to discuss the Imjin War in the Historical Research Center .

The S2 Onin War Mod | Boshin: Total Domains
    Patron of Erwin Rommel
    Under the proud patronage of Radious

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Invoking Local Bugyo privileges...to post this pic.

I wonder if existing monk models could be used. Hmmmm.....

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Local....bugyo....
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~