Thread: Summoning - Oath bound

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Default Summoning - Oath bound

Summoning - Oath Bound Released 2006 by Napalm records

Summoning was formed in 1993 in Austria by two guys calling themselfs Protector and Silenius.
    Their style at the start was normal black metal except their lyrics came from the Lord of the Rings book. Their first album "Lugburz" released in 1995 was as typical black metal as it can be.
    However after that they decided to take the band to another direction.
    They kept the lyrical content and the black metal singing but their music took a unique turn.
    Their songs became longer and slower making it more epic, the guitars became the secondary instrument and keyboard took over as the main and the drums became more and more bombastic and war-like.
    This combined into a style unique in the metal scene which has become Summoning's trademark.

Their music is so clear that is doesn't take a listener long before he find himself standing on a battlefield with orcs and trolls and is marching to battle or exploring beautiful landscape. In some way their music is images transformed into music.

But now on to the album.
    Oath bound is Summoning's 8th album(inclueding 2 mini-albums).
    Oath bound is based on the Tolkien book "The Silmarillion"
    Will do this song by song.

Baugir (2:58)

Well as all Summoning album, it starts with a instrumental intro that sets the mood of the album.
    Starts with a nice flute bit with drums pounding gently in the background. After 50 seconds more keyboards kick in and a snare drum does a marching beat.
    In the middle there is a spoken bit with keyboards and keyboard gently in background until the grand end where everything gets together with some chanting.
    Great opener.
    8/10

Across the streaming tide (10:20)

First real song.
    Starts with a nice keyboard bit and after 20 seconds the drums starts pounding and guitars kick in and the song is underway with the regular growling.
    For those who has listened to Summoning's other albums then the guitars are a bit of a surprise. They are loud again and has gotten more focus on this time and the end results are good.
    This song is quite long, 10 minutes and 20 seconds and that is IMO it's weakest bit. It goes on for a bit too long. Would have been better if they had cut it down a minute.
    But it doesn't stop it from being a very good song.
    8/10

Mirdautas vras (8:13)

Starts with the drums with a marching beat and after 20 seconds the keyboards kick in.
    This song, like the intro has no guitars in it.
    Instead this song's power comes from samples, samples from the Lord of the rings movie.
    Mainly the samples are the uruk-hai marching and chanting towards helm's deep.
    This combined with the drums and keyboards creates a very heavy marching song. Seriously, you can move furniture with this song. That's how heavy it is.
    Also the lyrics are entirely in the black language of Mordor which helps the mood.
    One of the best songs on the album
    10/10

Might and glory (8:26)

Starts with a nice guitar riff before the rest of the instruments starts to play.
    The song has a very typical Summoning song arrangement style. It consists of several melodies that in the end comes together and creates a climatic ending.
    In this song that style is the most clear and the end results are amazing.
    It all comes together so damn perfect.
    To top it all off they have clean choir singing at the end which really dots the I's.
    Wonderful song that is also one of my favorite song on the album
    10/10

Beleriand (9:28)

I don't know what it is with Summoning and mid-sections on albums.
    It is usually "weaker" then the rest. Of course their weak songs are most of the time equals the best songs some bands ever managed to do.
    This song starts it off.
    It is a good song tho but it seems abit dull.
    Nice keyboards on it and has a nice beat to it.
    8/10

Northward (8:39)

Same here.
    It is once again a good song, the best among the mid-section but something is missing.
    Good work with the keyboards.
    8/10

Menegroth
    (8:12)

Worst song on the album.
    I can't put my finger on it but something is off in that song.
    5/10

Land of the dead (12:50)

The final song of the album.
    Those who have heard Summoning's albums before know that their final songs on albums is easily one of the best songs.
    Well once again Summoning delivers.
    This almost 13 minutes long song is just beautiful.
    Wonderful keyboard, good guitars and to top it all off the clean choir is back at the end that brings the song to it's climatic ending.
    A song I keep on listening to over and over again.
    10/10

Overall this is a great album.
    With every album I always fear that one of these days there will be a Summoning album that will suck so bad and I almost thought this album was gonna be it.
    I mean after 7 awesome albums you start to think that they can't keep this up forever.
    But I'm happy when I heard this album, after the first few songs I knew that this albums wasn't the dreaded one.
    And in the end this album is another feather that Summoning can proudly put in their already feathered hat and I hope there will be more feathers. The album cover is nice as usual too and fits the music.

Overall grade: 9.5/10

And to top it all off I bring you with a sample from the song land of the dead
    First few minutes of Land of the dead
    Last edited by God-Emperor of Mankind; July 07, 2006 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Rhah's Avatar S'eer of Fnords

Default Re: Summoning - Oath bound

Thats a very well written review.

A black metal concept album based on the Simarillion? Sounds interesting.
    "Moral indignation is jealousy with a Halo" - H.G. Wells.

Sig crafted by Bulgaroctonus, Member of S.I.N., Proud Spurs fan
    Son of Valus, Brother to Mimirswell and Proximus
    Patron of Shaun, Eventhorizen, Beowulf47
    and Rob_the_celt