Thread: Difficulty Editing Textures

Default Difficulty Editing Textures

Recently I've wanted to make a mod for RotS in order to make the daimyo and generals stand out more and change the faction colors. While I have yet to attempt to change any faction colors, I did try to change Minamoto no Yoshinaka's colors tonight, but ran into some trouble. I wanted him to have a different color from the rest of the Kiso Minamoto, so I decided to edit the textures used for his armor. In order to see if I was on the right track I made a test mod just modifying his torso with gimp. I was able to make a .pack file and that seems to be in order, but things get a little strange when I go to play a game.

On the clan selection screen he still has his "vanilla" RotS colors, and the same is true of him on the battlefield. On the campaign map, however, the new texture is visible but it does not seem to "fit" properly and appears to be a jumbled mess. Hopefully someone is able to help me. If it matters I used Gimp 2.8 to modify the texture.

Thanks!

*Edit: I went back and replaced the texture.dds file in the Patch9 pack with my modified one and made the color mask black, and now the texture is also visible on the campaign selection screen, but it still does not look quite right-- is there a certain compression that I should be using with Gimp? Currently I am saving with no compression.

**Edit: Alright, after playing around with it some more I was able to get it to look right-- It turns out I needed to be generating mipmaps.
    Last edited by Hikaru Genji; July 23, 2012 at 10:57 AM.