Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The thread that started it all

Default Re: The thread that started it all

I am not sure if you are going for historical, romanticized, or something in between. This site should be good for either though. Sanguozhi is a history book that is historically accurate, as much as can be, and was taken from direct sources (for the most part, one source is even Zhuge Liang I believe) by the scholar Chen Shou shortly after the events occurred. Sanguo yanyi is a fictional novel based mostly on folk lore and was written over 1000 years after the events, which is the version most people know about and believe to be true today.

I will see if I can find a PDF translation of the Sanguozhi (Records of the Three Kingdoms history book) by Chen Shou when I have some free time. I found one LONG ago that had much of it translated, but I don't think any exist that have it fully translated. Though now a'days I may be able to find a decent translator.

Here is a better timeline for historical events. I am not sure just how accurate all the details are, I just glimpsed trough it real quick.
    Last edited by alreadyded; August 11, 2012 at 06:53 PM.

TheFirstONeill's Avatar Father of Thera

Default Re: General Info and Download Links - Rise of three Kingdoms

Beautiful work as always Giga

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone
    Proud Creator of Thera, Legacy of the Great Torment: Opifex :

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Seems a crazy idea, as interesting as exploring the universe! If you manage to get it done, you will make a great gift to me. And me=humanity.

Really exciting and so far i have seen great work!!!

I don't know if mod have these resource for creating unit in game. Actually I think this clip and this forum too famous with everyone already:

The Evolution of Chinese Armor 2: Han to Sui Dynasty

http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/ind...schi-in-paris/
    http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/ind...hinese-armour/

I think mod can use Chinese armor from Han dynasty to Eastern Jin ( 260 BC - 317 AD) for unit in game.

about finding resource to making any video clip in mod, I think Red Cliff ( film) will be the best choice because the clothes, building in film almost based on the reality in Eastern Han dynasty and Three kingdom period:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cliff_%28film%29

Although Romance Of The Three Kingdom is very famous novel, but it be written in 14th century. Almost weapon like Guan Yu's " Green Dragon Crescent Blade" ( a version of weapon named Guan Dao) or Lubu's " Sky Piercer" ( a version of weapon named ji) don't really existed in Three Kingdoms period. Example: there is no indication of the existence of what is now known as the guan dao prior to the 11th century.

During many centuries, people almost use Song - Ming dynasty ( 11th - 17th century)'s armor/ weapon to creating any image/ film/ video game about Three Kingdom. I really hope this mod will don't like them.

Waraven is Chinese, I think he can help you making a list of weapon really be used in this timeline.

One more, good luck.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I loved the 'Red Cliff' movie! (I am an undying romantic). By the looks of it all the loading screens are taken from that movie.

You know from what i have seen. The smaller the scales on the armor the more important the person was. Is this right?
    One of the three, a name split in two, one part is not here, the other is my account name.
    I am the beginning and end of all beings, of all life
    My breath is pure and live giving, Yin and yang were mine.
    The jade emperor was my apprentice, Now i am retired, leaving the rule of the world in his hands.

Who am i?

-Tianzong-

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Red Cliff was not historically accurate, unfortunately. A lot of it was dramatization and romanticized because it is a movie for entertainment, not an educational film. For example, native Chinese did not throw javalins/spears, especially from horseback. This was a tactic of the Qiang, not the Han Chinese. There are a lot more, but that is just one example.

As far as the video, I noticed that it does not really cover what the common footsoldier, which was the vast majority of combatants, used for armor. Most of those were for nobility (cavalry, officers, etc.), not the grunts or regular soldiers. Plus what the video shows is a wide array of armors, from the Han to Sui, however this mod is dealing with just a small time frame between the end of the Han and beginning of Jin.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Gigantus, I love you in a platonic manner.

I read The Romance of the Three Kingdoms when I was a young man, where I then discovered the silly Koei games after that and then was happy when Red Cliff was released too. In fact, the other day I was looking for a modification based on this time period. When you release this, I will devote my gaming life to doing commentary on this modification.
    Total War Live Commentary: Click Here
    De Bello Mundi: Greek City States
    Third Age Total War: Arnor with MOS
    M&B: Warband: A Clash of Kings
    M&B: Warband: Gekokujo

Blog Entries

You are more then welcome. I checked your CoW link in the signature as I did the "Easy and painfree installation" versions for 1.4.4 and 1.5.1, but the link gave me an error message (wrong parameters). I am looking forward to reviews like the ones I saw in the other links.

Oh, thank for letting me know about that. I just fixed the link, so all of them should function correctly now. I've been doing that Khorne campaign for over six months (fifteen plus hours so far), with virtually no issues. I'm also making a huge push to finish the campaign hopefully this month, so that I can move on up to 1.5.1. So, thank you for your efforts there, its made CoW fun as it should be.

I'll certainly do my best with my modest following to advertise your work on this whenever anything is released.
    Total War Live Commentary: Click Here
    De Bello Mundi: Greek City States
    Third Age Total War: Arnor with MOS
    M&B: Warband: A Clash of Kings
    M&B: Warband: Gekokujo

Blog Entries

You can be assured of a prominent place in the General Info thread with a review - or somewhere else eye catching.

Blog Entries

For those interested in a basic overview I have made a 'Progress blog' post in the General Info thread. I shall try to keep it updated as much as possible regarding work being done.

not to be nit picking,but you forgot to link the "g" in "Progress blog"
    One of the three, a name split in two, one part is not here, the other is my account name.
    The jade emperor was my apprentice, Now i am retired, leaving the rule of the world in his hands.

Who am i?

-Tianzong-

Gigantus,

First of all, let me say I love seeing a mod on medieval China active. Now, I'm curious do you need help researching anything for this period? If so, could you tell me what you are looking for exactly? I would be very interested in helping out a mod about this period of history.
    Last edited by Shogun144; August 22, 2012 at 07:55 AM.
    Trust in Jesus, always!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tianzong View Post
    not to be nit picking,but you forgot to link the "g" in "Progress blog"
    I forgot to include it in the link's highlight, that's why it may appear missing. Thanks for keeping tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogun144 View Post
    Gigantus,

First of all, let me say I love seeing a mod on medieval China active. Now, I'm curious do you need help researching anything for this period? If so, could you tell me what you are looking for exactly? I would be very interested in helping out a mod about this period of history.
    Thank you for your offer. There has been a number of inputs regarding the period in the other threads already. I have been thinking of using the 'romantic' version as base where the script is concerned (tasks, battles that sort of stuff) but I would also like to have a proper correct timeline by way of "calendar events" - similar to the historical events in the original game (gunpoder discovered etc).
    For both I would need a chronological list of events. The start would be 194 and the last event should not be beyond 230 as the game will have 12 turns per year (36*12=432 turns).
    Best will be to start two threads: "Historical time line" and "Romance time line" - as they would be interchangeable in the game it could then later still be decided which one is more 'interesting' from a game play view and which one would be used for 'alternative information'.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 22, 2012 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I forgot to include it in the link's highlight, that's why it may appear missing. Thanks for keeping tabs.
    LOL! No problem!!

Who am i?

-Tianzong-

I've just discovered this mod and taked a look at the beta map...it's awsome i like china history since i played Dynasty Warriors so this mod is Dynasty Warriors in M2TW engine.Hope that release will be out soon.

Blog Entries

I have started to script in the wonders to get a break from converting the battle models. There will be three wonders:

Wonder one - construction COST bonus linked to core building level
    Wonder two - law bonus linked to core building level or admin building level
    Wonder three - income bonus linked to farm level

The palace looks too much like the Taj Mahal and the Great Wall is too clumsy - so I am open to the other 5. Does anyone know where they were located historically?

I would need to place them in their regions so I can finalize the scripting. Tests show no other obstacles.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I maybe don't know where they are, but i know they are incredible

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I have started to script in the wonders to get a break from converting the battle models. There will be three wonders:

Wonder one - construction COST bonus linked to core building level
    Wonder two - law bonus linked to core building level or admin building level
    Wonder three - income bonus linked to farm level

The palace looks too much like the Taj Mahal and the Great Wall is too clumsy - so I am open to the other 5. Does anyone know where they were located historically?

I would need to place them in their regions so I can finalize the scripting. Tests show no other obstacles.

What is the story on the Phoenix? Is that an actual building? Or is it meant to represent something else?