Thread: The Roman Invasion of Britain (Primarily Eboracum)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Roman Invasion of Britain (Primarily Eboracum)

Hello all, me again!

Since I was so bad at the campaigns for this mod, I have discovered the custom battles. Absolutely awesome. Straight away I wiki'd the Legion that set up the fort at Eboracum (York), Legio IX Hispana, they look really really good

I have a couple of questions though...

What is the typical Roman army set up for the invasion of Britain? At the moment I have a few cavalary units, a few archers, 2 ballistas and a hell of a lot of IX soldiers. Testudo formation looks awesome

I have found out the four legions that invaded Britain were

Legio II Augusta
    Legio IX Hispana
    Legio XIV Gemina
    Legio XX Valeria Victrix

I presume they all have a similar set up of units?

Now for the British tribes...

What faction best represents these on RS, and again, what set up would you give them? I presume a lot of cavalry and archers.

Many thanks guys,

You've sparked the history geek off in me!!

Evalation's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: The Roman Invasion of Britain (Primarily Eboracum)

You got a good idea of what to send. But they diddnt just send in legions they also sent auxilary units unless im mistaken. Because Rome wanted to save as many "True Roman" soldiers as possible. So auxilaries made up a front defensive line so that the professional legions could flank. So id say put at least 4-5 units of auxilaries in with each legion. I dont know which auxilary regiments were at the invasion of britain but you could look it up but id think they used the gallic auxilia (Gauls).

AS for which faction would best resemble the britains..... Id use the belgics, as the britains used chariots agianst the roman armies and they also have painted troops aswell if i can remember correctly.

When i invaded britain on my roman 2.5 campaign the belgics had conquered all of britain and they had many different troop types.

Hope i helped.
    Eva

Batavians were definitely involved, crossing the Thames and also swimming across to Anglesey (they were able to cross rivers fully clothed / armoured

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

It is assumed that some 8 x Ala (the classic 2 per legion) and some 22 x Cohors accompanied those 4 legions in the invasion.

Only 2 are known - ala I Thracum and ala 1 Hispanorum.

I, like most I suspect, use more than 2 units of cavalry with my armies (4 normally), but justify it by thinking of the Legionary cavalry and the equites from the eponymous Cohors Equitatae.

So, as suggested above, 4-6 Aux Coh per legion.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Thanks guys. I'm having some great fun with Legio XX at the moment, I think they look the best. Nothing like sending my Auxiliary unit up with the ram and make my legionaires form testudo and follow close behind.

I can't seem to find the Batavians though?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBirdseye View Post

I can't seem to find the Batavians though?
    Cohors I Batavorum cR (with swimming ability - not that I can ever get it to work (using BI)) is available from Roma (with the last level Praetorian Camp).

Ala I Batavorum Equitata (bit of a mish-mash of a name, but incredibly useful chaps) are available in the rest of Area 6.

I'm sure there may be more, or repeats, further North - but I haven't yet discovered them.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.