Thread: Teaser of the Romano-Sasanian wars

Default Teaser of the Romano-Sasanian wars

Are we going to see any more previews?

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

Default Re: When will we see another preview?

Hey mate,
    let me say that we have many many new things prepared. So, basically I could show a lot of material (esp. new 3D cities e.g. Iustiniana Prima, Roman cavalry, new sasanian units etc etc)
    ATM we are incredible busy with the modding. Behind the scene there is a lot of activity of the AoD2 Team. We were able to get 3 new model-makers plus a new team-member just for the coding. I would say that the progress is 5 times better than 2011.
    Please have a little bit patience. We will offer a new XXL Preview soon.

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Teaser of the Romano-Sasanian wars

well this is A very present surprise thanks PM! I love the roman unit in blue.
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

Agent007's Avatar Civis

Default Re: When will we see another preview?

Quote Originally Posted by Pompeius Magnus View Post
    Hey mate,
    let me say that we have many many new things prepared. So, basically I could show a lot of material (esp. new 3D cities e.g. Iustiniana Prima, Roman cavalry, new sasanian units etc etc)
    ATM we are incredible busy with the modding. Behind the scene there is a lot of activity of the AoD2 Team. We were able to get 3 new model-makers plus a new team-member just for the coding. I would say that the progress is 5 times better than 2011.
    Please have a little bit patience. We will offer a new XXL Preview soon.
    Pompeius, this is music to my ears. So happy to see that one mod that I await for so much time is going well. All the best for the rest!

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Is it proper that legions still bear Latin names?

P.S. Are the Romans fighting Armenian troops?

Yes, it is.
    The only valid official document is the Codex Iustinianus as well as the Novelles of Justinian.
    Cod Iust XII 35,14
    [...]comitatensibus legionibus[...]
    ...from the reign of Arcadius et Honorius. However, since those terms were included into the Codex it shows that they were still valid.

Cod Iust XII 42,1
    [...]tribunorum cohortium [...]
    ...from the reign of Constantinus, but also integrated into the Codex of the sixth century.

or an order to the proconsul palaestinae from the year 536AD
    Nov Iust CIII caput 3 §1
    [...]Et ille quidem praeerit militibus et limitaneis et foederatis [...]

or the order of Justinian to build up immediately Limitanei in north africa after the reconquest
    Cod Iust I 27 2 §8
    [...]ut extra comitatenses milites per castra milites limitanei constituantur[...]

And all this is valid far into the reign of Heraclius and even beyond.
    The official generic term for all military units was since the 5th century (even in the Notitia Dignitatum!) the Numerus. This term became absolutely official in the codex as well.
    Cod Iust I 27 2 §8
    [...]unius numeri limitaneorum[...]

The colloquial term, even in military Papyri and letters, is of course somewhat different.
    As I have explained elsewhere, you will find sometimes greek descriptions of a Legeonos or Legeon, however, all Papyri I have evaluated are just speaking about Numeri - independently if you know for sure that this unit was a Legion (e.g. by a comparison with the Notitia Dignitatum).
    Therefore things like Cohors, Vexillatio, Cuneus, Legion etc were outdated and replaced by the generic term Numerus = in greek Arithmos.

Ancient authors took, for any reason, puristic greek terms like katalogos, telos, tagma, taxis and 2 or 3 others. All of them were non-official terms (beside the "tagma"). Unfortunately, this led often to confusions - even in modern books - where is often said that the units were named so, but this is not correct.

ps: the romans are fighting against the sasanians and their allies ;-)
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; July 20, 2012 at 10:33 PM.

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

Very beautiful,even to the textures on the clothing! Visually inspiring! Is this Empio's work?

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

ps: the romans are fighting against the sasanians and their allies ;-)
    Or rather, vassals. I don't think you can call them allies if they pay taxes.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Very interesting news and great sreenshots, I really like the Sassanid cavalrymen in the second screenshot. Great work AoD team

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Very very nice, look forward to play it!
    Models and skins are excellent designed.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

@all
    thanx a lot for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylan271 View Post
    Is this Empio's work?
    Some of them are from empio - others (e.g. the sasanian knights) were made by our morfeasnikos. That they have a similar design regarding textures and model-features is wished and part of our modding strategy.
    Also our new model-maker Rarity has finished amazin roman cavalry - also fitting 100% our other units.