View Poll Results: Do you want separate languages for each faction?

Voters
253. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

175 69.17%
  • No

78 30.83%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Latin ,Greek, "Welsh" etc,do you want separate languages for each faction?

Default Re: Latin ,Greek, "Welsh" etc,do you want separate languages for each faction?

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    Just watch this video for RTR mod, its short and maybe you will see how good would it be if we had Latin voices for the Romans and other languages for other people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkgZZ1CuoxE
    Thanks for sharing us the video
    A little example for what most of the community wants. Sounds awesome.

Shigawire's Avatar VOXIFEX MAXIMVS

Default Re: Latin ,Greek, "Welsh" etc,do you want separate languages for each faction?

That's my voice.
    ------------------------------VOXIFEX MAXIMVS-------------------------------
    ------PROUD PARENT OF THE EUROPA BARBARORUM VOICEMOD-------

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

I voted yes. I would like the intro videos, advisors, and perhaps even the pre-battle speeches to be in English, but I would prefer if they had the factions speaking in Latin or ancient Greek or equivalent modern languages like the ones that have been suggested such as Welsh/Irish Gaelic for Celts etc, if they can't reconstruct the ancient languages. Non-English languages should be used for commands on the campaign map and during battles.

That's my voice.
    I know that.

It sounds to good.

Thank you for that awesome voice mod.

I hope they will do that.

Thanks for sharing us the video
    No problem. I was glad to do that.
    Last edited by Asgaroth; July 26, 2012 at 08:59 PM.

I'm caving towards yes after that video but for god's sake it HAS to be toggle able.

Horatio Hornblower's Avatar Semisalis

They should engage italians to speak latin...neither spanish nor french. And by the grace of God, not english men!!
    Obviously greeks should give their voices for greek factions...

Quote Originally Posted by Shigawire View Post
    That's my voice.
    And some of my units ....

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Shigawire's Avatar VOXIFEX MAXIMVS

Hehe yep!
    ------------------------------VOXIFEX MAXIMVS-------------------------------
    ------PROUD PARENT OF THE EUROPA BARBARORUM VOICEMOD-------

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio Hornblower View Post
    They should engage italians to speak latin...neither spanish nor french. And by the grace of God, not english men!!
    Obviously greeks should give their voices for greek factions...
    Actually not .... They should Engage Germans to talk latin , the classical latin was much closer to a german accent than an italian one , honestly also some of the biggest latin experts are german .

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Fallout 3 Modder

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    Actually not .... They should Engage Germans to talk latin , the classical latin was much closer to a german accent than an italian one , honestly also some of the biggest latin experts are german .
    Are you the same one who assaulted germans and Germany in your topic "Do you love or hate Rome?".
    Anyway you don't even deserve of a response...when I read that a german could speak latin better than an italian, well...

Have you seen that video in the fifth page of that thread?

Ilaria De Regis, italian, World Champion of Latin!!

Last edited by Horatio Hornblower; July 27, 2012 at 05:34 AM.

Are you the same one who assaulted germans and Germany in your topic "Do you love or hate Rome?".
    Anyway you don't even deserve of a response...when I read that a german could speak latin better than an italian, well...

Have you seen that video in the fifth page of that thread?

I didn't assault anyone , I state facts ! then if a bunch of german kids fanboys come to twist history I answer with facts , if roman fanoboy lovers come to twist history , I answer with facts .

Roman pronounce of classical age is more akin to german than Italian , Italians simply have not the right accent .

I am not biased or anything its another proven fact .

The ancient tongues are usually studied thorught foreign interaction changes of the words , like Italian is derived from latin and is heavily twisted by many regional accents and other population invasions , the latin sound remained pretty much inaltered in the german language as the latin words where taken as they where heard , for example the Kaiser in German is a word title derived from the Caesar title of the latins but the latins simply pronounced it as the germans do nowdays ... totally different from Church latin that is based on the italian twisted medieval pronounce .

and btw that's with taht guy in the vido with such an horrible audio?

The fact that romans originated in Italy doesn't means anything neither than an Italian shoudl consider himself more roman heir than an English ...

after all if you think romans in britain breed with local celts , then saxons come ... Romans in italy breed with Samnites , greeks , Celts , germans , normans and in just in sicily even with arabs ...

Ok video answer with video answer

A more plausible use of classical latin is in the Satyricon of Fellini movie :

check at 0.50 secs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkxjEpt1Rwc

Skip all the wrong reconstruction crappy sound etc just hear how is a possible pronounce of classical latin .
    Last edited by PROMETHEUS ts; July 27, 2012 at 05:44 AM.

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

Have a look to my edit!!

I was thinking a lot this one....I mean you know in RTW but I decided not to vote neither yes nor no because it would be awesome all the factions have their own language,but...I want to understand what all generals etc they say

To Greece we give our shining blades - Lord Byron

Have a look to my edit!!
    I did , and ? a student translating well versions of latin has nothing to do with latin pronounce ...

and I am talking of world history experts on field not a student winning a competition ...

I can read without any aid in classical latin the prose and poetry in right metrics sound without any signs on books by natural flaw , but my pronounce is still twisted by italian accent , something that a german would have more natural ...
    Lol just goggling around in wikipedia I gound number of classical scholars by nationality , check the numbers of germany vs Italy ... now this has nothing to do with the topic or the like neither proves anything ... just a curiosity ... and interesting how second in position come americans ...
    with Germans having the first place on that field.
    ► German classical scholars‎ (2 C, 156 P)
    vs
    ► Italian classical scholars‎ (1 C, 41 P)
    Last edited by PROMETHEUS ts; July 27, 2012 at 05:57 AM.

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

I know I am the only recurring voice opposed to this issue but let me explain a few things.

First, to do it correctly (which is the only way it is actually immersive) it would require spending of millions or tens of millions of money and likely take a few years to complete before you even got into the studio to record.

To my mind research money is better spent on researching the cities, cultures, and units of the various civilizations/factions. A very solid grounding here would prove much more immersive than just some people speaking languages you don’t understand.

Second, none of the factions would be speaking a language that is understandable to the untrained. It would be a waste of money and time even developing speeches or unit chatter. It is not something I would want to see eliminated but it would only be irritating if there was no faction that spoke a language I could understand.

Third, do it in modern languages would just be an irritant. It is not what they spoke so it is just a distraction, one that would get old very quickly. It is just something else to find fault with.

It is very fertile ground for a good mod but it is not something most people would want out of the box.

Remember that the poll sampling is only hard core gamers at a single forum and not the public at large.

I would much rather that the research go into portraying the factions as they were rather than having most of the just being barbarian tribesmen.

Just using the Celts for an example, they were far from screaming hordes descending on Rome. Celtic contact brought improvements in metal working, chain male. They were also the inventors of the barrel, the butter churn, the saw, the glass bottle, the horse bit, and trousers. Try sitting on a horse all day in a skirt. Their settlement walls were proof against stone throwing siege equipment and had either to be sieged or stormed. They also came up with the spoked wheel, the iron tire, the use of the iron axel, and had extensive paved roads. Their trade networks ran from Ireland to the steeps.

Other cultures too offered new advancements or ways of doing things. I would much rather we see a picture of those cultures and their military units than spend time and resources on all the sound files.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hue View Post
    I know I am the only recurring voice opposed to this issue but let me explain a few things.

First, to do it correctly (which is the only way it is actually immersive) it would require spending of millions or tens of millions of money and likely take a few years to complete before you even got into the studio to record.

To my mind research money is better spent on researching the cities, cultures, and units of the various civilizations/factions. A very solid grounding here would prove much more immersive than just some people speaking languages you don’t understand.
    Didnt modders already this something similar to this with 0 cost?
    Just using the Celts for an example, they were far from screaming hordes descending on Rome. Celtic contact brought improvements in metal working, chain male. They were also the inventors of the barrel, the butter churn, the saw, the glass bottle, the horse bit, and trousers. Try sitting on a horse all day in a skirt. Their settlement walls were proof against stone throwing siege equipment and had either to be sieged or stormed. They also came up with the spoked wheel, the iron tire, the use of the iron axel, and had extensive paved roads. Their trade networks ran from Ireland to ...
    Sorry but apart some of the innovations you are listing , many others you are crediting to celts should be credited elsewhere and other cultures...
    And anyway thats way offtopic from language centered thread.

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

I think that Europa barbarorum team and Shigawire didn't have millions and millions of dollars and still they/he did a splendid job that is too good to hear.

To my mind research money is better spent on researching the cities, cultures, and units of the various civilizations/factions.
    I agree on this but it's better to have some language, no matter that's 75 % correct and not 100 % then have barbarians speaking English.

If they did Japanese for Shogun II and if other games like civilization can have voices I don't see why a game magnificent as Rome II could have such a feature.

Second, none of the factions would be speaking a language that is understandable to the untrained.
    Well this depend of what kind of person you are and what kind of things you like. You seek for understandment while I seek for enjoyment. When the speak Latin or Celtic and you turn you volume up it brings a little realism to the game which makes me feel like I am on that filed listening to that guy.

It would be a waste of money and time even developing speeches or unit chatter. It is not something I would want to see eliminated but it would only be irritating if there was no faction that spoke a language I could understand.
    Again, it depends on you.

I would rather have Romans speaking Latin or Greeks Greek then having Celts speaking English, then they might as well add them English accent so they speak : " Hey mates, lets kill those bloody Romans "

All in all I wouldn't mind if English was in but I would rather see native languages.

If Europa Barbarorum didn't have to use millions of dollars to make a voice mode then CA could do that for sure.

While I agree that they should try and portrait the factions as good as possible the languages aren't impossible to do. CA probably has a team around 150- 200 people and if a mod that has a maximum of around 30 people(not counting beta testers) can picture factions historically accurate as possible while on the other having this kinda features the CA can do so.
    Last edited by Asgaroth; July 27, 2012 at 10:13 AM.

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Roman pronounce of classical age is more akin to german than Italian , Italians simply have not the right accent
    Can you use scientific terms to describe this? Beacuse all I see is an oversimplification of comparative linguistics.

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

Didnt modders already this something similar to this with 0 cost?

Sorry but apart some of the innovations you are listing , many others you are crediting to celts should be credited elsewhere and other cultures...
    And anyway thats way offtopic from language centered thread.
    Right.

And did they use a single language that was correct for 200 BC, not 400 AD?

Do you have a bunch of friends that speak Old Latin, Proto-Germanic, or one or the other versions of Continental Celtic?
    Maybe you had a course in Pucic in high school?

You know there were 12 cultures and more languages just in Spain at the time. Another 9 or 10 in Italy. 50 factions, you can figure at least 50 languages. You might get lucky and a couple would speak the same version of Greek.

Call up a University linguistics department, if they have one, and tell them what you want. Ask them how long it will take and how much they think it might cost.

Evidently you mist the point about the Celts and other factions so I will just say it again.

I would rather have well researched factions with their abilities and units than I would someone speaking useless lines no one understands.

The idea sounds appealing, as the votes show, until you look at what it would take to do it. If you think it can be don’t for no money then do it. It would make a great mod for those who want it. It would also impress the socks of most any linguist if it were accurate. CA might even offer you a job. But as far as the off the shelf version of the game goes, I would rather the money go into other parts of the game. This means not having every faction but the few with wooden palisades, spearmen, and some archers.

That too takes historic research. That takes time and time is money. None of those people work for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    All in all I wouldn't mind if English was in but I would rather see native languages.

If Europa Barbarorum didn't have to use millions of dollars to make a voice mode then CA could do that for sure.
    The issue is that a lot of the languages are either incredibly obscure or cannot be reconstructed. Europa Barbarorum, while a valiant effort, was not able to cover all the bases in terms of voices, utilizing a lot of placeholders and using other languages to cover people that they had no voice tracks for (like Hayastan for example).

I don't think CA would want to embark on doing native voices if they could only get halfway, and that's really all they can do if they do go this route. I'm not saying I prefer one way or the other, but it will be really tough to get really well-done native voices for all factions, especially if they extend the map like they said they're doing.

I would rather have well researched factions with their abilities and units than I would someone speaking useless lines no one understands.

The idea sounds appealing, as the votes show, until you look at what it would take to do it. If you think it can be don’t for no money then do it. It would make a great mod for those who want it. It would also impress the socks of most any linguist if it were accurate. CA might even offer you a job. But as far as the off the shelf version of the game goes, I would rather the money go into other parts of the game. This means not having every faction but the few with wooden palisades, spearmen, and some archers.

That too takes historic research. That takes time and time is money. None of those people work for free.
    I agree. For Empire, Napoleon, and Shogun having native voices was great and doable, but for Rome it will be a great undertaking... I'd rather see them quash bugs and create a fantastic map than spend resources on half-reconstructed ancient languages... though having those would be FANTASTIC..
    Last edited by Drtad; July 27, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces