View Poll Results: Do you want separate languages for each faction?

Voters
253. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

175 69.17%
  • No

78 30.83%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Latin ,Greek, "Welsh" etc,do you want separate languages for each faction?

Default Re: Latin ,Greek, "Welsh" etc,do you want separate languages for each faction?

Quote Originally Posted by Allectus View Post
    Old Perisan is a possibility.
    Not really, Ancient Persian as we know it had already changed a great deal by the time of the later Achaemenid kings. Middle Persian would be appropriate and possible to do, perhaps even Parthian.

Megasalexandros's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Latin ,Greek, "Welsh" etc,do you want separate languages for each faction?

Quote Originally Posted by Shigawire View Post
    The diphtongs and the compound consonants were pronounced differently in Ancient Greek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes. View Post
    You're absolutely wrong. Greek had a very different pronunciation in the past, and the letters did not represent the same phonemes they do now.
    Well sorry , i think, being a Greek makes me far more informed than any non Greek about that matter, were exactly have you heard that ?
    I have studied ancient Greek at school, iam a Greek my self, and never had any teacher tell me that those letters were read separately.
    The only trace that ,that could have been the case that was ever found was in Thucydides which i have read, and again that comes from a comment that he makes, and it is not certain at all what he exactly meant.
    No at least in my GREEK school the "OI" was read exactly the same way as the modern way, so you are wrong, iam sorry...
    MACEDONIA ETERNAL GREEK KINGDOM

Quote Originally Posted by Megasalexandros View Post
    Well sorry , i think, being a Greek makes me far more informed than any non Greek about that matter, were exactly have you heard that ?
    At university.

And no, being a Greek doesn't make you more informed about pronunciation. It only gives you a head start when learning the grammar and vocabulary.

Megasalexandros's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    At university.

And no, being a Greek doesn't make you more informed about pronunciation. It only gives you a head start when learning the grammar and vocabulary.
    It seems Greek schools and non Greek schools have a different approach to the matter.
    Whats their sources for that claim?
    MACEDONIA ETERNAL GREEK KINGDOM

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    I just know that in our schools we could have learned antique Latin or Greek. In my school it was Latin.
    The Latin taught in schools tends to be Classical and the Greek tends to be Attic Greek, which is different (albeit not by much) from Koine Greek which was the lingua franca of the Hellenistic world.
    I said that Irish people and Welsh people still speak OLD CELTIC language. Also todays Wales and Irland were never conquered by the Romans.
    Yes they're celtic languages but Welsh and Irish are not old celtic languages. Welsh is derived from a Brythonic language, but it really is not the same as it has changed so much. Irish has evolved from Archaic Irish which we only know from a few fragments dating to the 3rd/4th century. Wales was in fact conquered, I used to live pretty close to the Roman town of Venta Silurum (Caerwent) and the legionary fortress at Isca Augusta (Caerleon). Through my degree I have also taken part in an excavation of a villa in Carmarthenshire, so the Romans penetrated Wales far more than what was previously thought. The Romans also exploited the Welsh gold mines at Dolaucothi. Modern Welsh does contain a large number of words from Latin origin too - the reason why the Welsh language has survived over the centuries probably has more to do with Wales' sparse population and mountainous terrain.
    Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

The Latin taught in schools tends to be Classical and the Greek tends to be Attic Greek, which is different (albeit not by much) from Koine Greek which was the lingua franca of the Hellenistic world.
    Sorry, I misunderstood you in the first place.

Well they can put the old one or just keep the English with accents.

For me it's better something then nothing.

Yes they're celtic languages but Welsh and Irish are not old celtic languages. Welsh is derived from a Brythonic language, but it really is not the same as it has changed so much. Irish has evolved from Archaic Irish which we only know from a few fragments dating to the 3rd/4th century. Wales was in fact conquered, I used to live pretty close to the Roman town of Venta Silurum (Caerwent) and the legionary fortress at Isca Augusta (Caerleon). Through my degree I have also taken part in an excavation of a villa in Carmarthenshire, so the Romans penetrated Wales far more than what was previously thought. The Romans also exploited the Welsh gold mines at Dolaucothi. Modern Welsh does contain a large number of words from Latin origin too - the reason why the Welsh language has survived over the centuries probably has more to do with Wales' sparse population and mountainous terrain.
    Still, maybe somebody who lives there researches the old languages ?

Keep up the pressure, yes-men, we're winning

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Megasalexandros View Post
    I have studied ancient Greek at school, iam a Greek my self, and never had any teacher tell me that those letters were read separately.
    The only trace that ,that could have been the case that was ever found was in Thucydides which i have read, and again that comes from a comment that he makes, and it is not certain at all what he exactly meant.
    No at least in my GREEK school the "OI" was read exactly the same way as the modern way, so you are wrong, iam sorry...
    You are wrong. Greek has experienced many phonological changes through the centuries and Greek schools do not teach the language correctly.

Sincerely, a Greek who has studied linguistics at university.

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

Horatio Hornblower's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    No I am talking of pronounce , the classical latin was not pronounced the italian way , this is used for church latin not the classic one...
    What about inflection? What about the letter "R"?
    Latin had that letter well marked, not like german or english or french where R is soft.
    Italian and spanish have it strong so is more latin then german.
    Forget the curch...I said, if I knew archaic or classical latin, my latin would be better than a german one or an english one...

This is latin spoke by an english or an american...it has a lot of error. And it's funny too... Ex: Consentio, TI were pronunced ZI not TI. So Consenzio.

Listen to this greek. Sounds like spanish!!

Last edited by Horatio Hornblower; July 23, 2012 at 07:14 AM.

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

David, which pronunciation do thet teach in schools in Italy?

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio Hornblower View Post
    Listen to this greek. Sounds like spanish!!

That pronunciation is not very inaccurate tbh.
    Last edited by Hobbes; July 22, 2012 at 08:23 PM.

David, which pronunciation do thet teach in schools in Italy?

Depends by the school and professor. Some are just ecclesiastic, some just classic. Some start from classic and end with ecclesiastic. Some vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by davide.cool View Post
    Depends by the school and professor. Some are just ecclesiastic, some just classic. Some start from classic and end with ecclesiastic. Some vice versa.
    I see. At least it's better than the system we have here for both ancient Greek and Latin, which is a completely modern pronunciation of the former and a bastardized version of the latter. Which is why you have people complaining when they hear the actual pronunciations....

I see. At least it's better than the system we have here for both ancient Greek and Latin, which is a completely modern pronunciation of the former and a bastardized version of the latter. Which is why you have people complaining when they hear the actual pronunciations....
    Here for starters, and I mean kids or youth attending the Latin language at school for the first time, the teachings of the language are mainly done via ecclesiastic pronounciation, basically because it's relatively similar to our modern one and for an initial better understanding of the whole process relative to the Latin. So, according to our phonetics and using an ecclesiastic example, Maecenas becomes Mecenas instead of Maechenŕs (accent on final a). Italian sound "CH" is the relative Latin "K"
    Last edited by DAVIDE; July 22, 2012 at 08:57 PM.

As much as I love languages and strongly supported the shift to native tongues in M2TW in TWR2 I think it is ridiculous to waste time and money on it.

For a start all of you think that Classical Latin and Ancient Greek were the languages spoken at the start. They were not.

Languages change with time and the more interaction with outside peoples the more rapidly they change.

The Latin spoken by the Roman Republic was Old Latin. It was spoken from roughly 500 BC to 75 BC. Likewise the Etruscan language was still spoken in the adjoining areas and died out at the time Latin changed to its classical form.

Greek had changed from the various ancient forms in to a more universal language known as Koine Greek. But don’t get too excited, it still had more changes before it came into the modern form.

Every faction would speak a different language and even those who spoke a similar ones would speak them differently.

German would be the most difficult. Even at this early period it was more than on language and gave rise to several more.

This dose not even scratch the surface. Conceivably every province and sub-region could speak a different language and you would still not cover them all.

And what do you have when you put it all together? Gibberish! Because the vast majority of you are not going to understand a single word of it.

This is more a project for a devoted linguist’s mod rather than something I want to see in an off the shelf game. It is only going to be interesting for the first play through. After that it is an irritant.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Definitely yes, I'd love the extra historical aspect.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

As long as TRIARII, HASTATI, and IMPERATOR! are unaffected, then I'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by davide.cool View Post
    Yes!!
    That's the point!!

I said "sounds like spanish". I'm talking about inflection not pronunciation.
    Last edited by Horatio Hornblower; July 23, 2012 at 07:18 AM.

I suppose you mean inflection as in pitch and tone? Well, I guess the pitch accent wasn't entirely gone at the time, I'm not sure though...

I suppose you mean inflection as in pitch and tone? Well, I guess the pitch accent wasn't entirely gone at the time, I'm not sure though...
    Yes, that should be what I mean...